Sign in to follow this  
listen2me 23

Tell me about your fridge.

Moving out of my place with my ex and into a place by myself. Always have been lucky with fridges either bought cheap from someone I knew who was upgrading. Or furnished in my apartment. I have never bought a new fridge.

The place I am moving onto does not furnish a fridge.

Fridges are focking expensive and havibg little luck finding a decent reconditioned one.

What brands do you swear by? What do you have? What to avoid? Im looking into buying a mid level one about 1000-1500$$...

By myself and im not a fridge snob at all. Looked at some cheap ones for 6 to 8 hundred and they are so focking cheesy and small. I at least want ok space.

I went to bestbuy.com and typed in refridgerator, set parameters at 1k-1200 and a ton of full sized fridges popped up. This cant be hard, thats a good range to find a great fridge.

Is only plugged in during fall spring and summer. There is only beer in it anyway, and in winter I keep the beer on the balcony.

How cold is a chink winter. On average.

How cold is a chink winter. On average.

It's a big country. Just like America, depends. Up north near Mongolia and Siberia, cold as Fock. Down in the south, no winter at all.

Winter where I live is roughly comparable to Tennessee. Snowed once. Hovered just north of freezing most of the winter.

Anybody want to hear a good fridge/Katrina story?

Do we have a choice focker :dunno:

:wave:

• Haha 1

It's a big country. Just like America, depends. Up north near Mongolia and Siberia, cold as Fock. Down in the south, no winter at all.

Winter where I live is roughly comparable to Tennessee. Snowed once. Hovered just north of freezing most of the winter.

Yes I realize that. Asking your experience. Mid thirties keeps your beer cold enough ????

That's all I care about is your beers temp.

Do tell

I was the fridge cleaner. Kind of like the Cleaner Harvey Keitel played in Pulp Fiction. You called me when you needed a pro. You got steaks, pot roasts, ground beef, and every other meats that bleed in your freezer/fridge.....you called me when you were still evacuated and couldn't come home because you were still in evacuation mode. Couldn't handle it yourself, call Bunny.

I cleaned more fridges than I can count. Word was out in my neighborhood. Bunny is there. He'll do it if he an raid your bar. Everyone hides a spare key to their house. So I did it.

Had a pot roast that sat in a freezer with no electricity for ten days blow up on me when I barely touched it whilst cleaning a good friends freezer. Marvin's head made less of a mess than that pot roast. I didn't need AuntJennys sheets, but I did need to get hosed off and put on an LSU tshirt after as my clothes were full if blood and meat.

Fun fun. Most wanted me to empty the fridge and get it out of their house. I basically duct taped them closed and put them on the street for pick up. Some weren't picked up for a month or more. This is what the majority of people did in my neighborhood. We didn't flood, but the power being out for so long, you had to get them out. The streets stunk for weeks until they picked them up.

Anyway, some entrepreneur from South America came in with a crew and collected them. He made a deal with a guy who owned a large parking lot and started cleaning them out. Most of them still worked, but Fawking stank. He cleaned them out, loaded them on a ship, and sent them to his country. Pretty gawking brilliant.

The door is probably open right now. My mother in law regularly forgets to close it. I'm at work now so I can't check.

Got a whirlpool, it's alright :dunno:

Don't go for the really cheap off brand stuff. Had that in a few apartments back in the day - total sh1t

LG or Samsung are pretty much it, as far as Consumer Reports goes HTH

I would look at consumer reports, but also take it with a grain of salt. They do not factor in price or reliability as much as I think they should.

You must be in S. Cal. I've never heard of a place not coming with a fridge..

New fridge. $1100.00

Actually about 5 months old.

2 days ago the ice dispenser thingie stopped working. I'm pissed as all hell....Focking worthless pos :mad:

Turns out that I put a warm beer on top of the ice and forgot about it for a few days. Damn thing is a standard worm type drive, so every time I'm wanting it to make crushed ice it's movng said beer can in different positions.

Beer can (obviously now frozen) has somehow worked it's way inbetween the bottom of the ice pan / tray / whateever/ and the thingie that helps dispense between either cubes or crushed.

Resistance won't now let the motor run properly and I'm freaking out.

Meh...I'm not a good story teller, but after removing said frozen beer can, it works just fine.

Does this help?

New fridge. $1100.00

Actually about 5 months old.

2 days ago the ice dispenser thingie stopped working. I'm pissed as all hell....Focking worthless pos :mad:

Turns out that I put a warm beer on top of the ice and forgot about it for a few days. Damn thing is a standard worm type drive, so every time I'm wanting it to make crushed ice it's movng said beer can in different positions.

Beer can (obviously now frozen) has somehow worked it's way inbetween the bottom of the ice pan / tray / whateever/ and the thingie that helps dispense between either cubes or crushed.

Resistance won't now let the motor run properly and I'm freaking out.

Meh...I'm not a good story teller, but after removing said frozen beer can, it works just fine.

Does this help?

Immensely!

:unsure:

Yes I realize that. Asking your experience. Mid thirties keeps your beer cold enough ????

That's all I care about is your beers temp.

Keeps it colder than the fridge does. Right now it's hot as Fock, so I turned the freezer down and keep my beer in there. Keeps it nice and frosty and almost slushy.

Keeps it colder than the fridge does. Right now it's hot as Fock, so I turned the freezer down and keep my beer in there. Keeps it nice and frosty and almost slushy.

I like slushy

Moving out of my place with my ex and into a place by myself. Always have been lucky with fridges either bought cheap from someone I knew who was upgrading. Or furnished in my apartment. I have never bought a new fridge.

Fridges are focking expensive and havibg little luck finding a decent reconditioned one.

What brands do you swear by? What do you have? What to avoid? Im looking into buying a mid level one about 1000-1500$$...

By myself and im not a fridge snob at all. Looked at some cheap ones for 6 to 8 hundred and they are so focking cheesy and small. I at least want ok space.

Me, I'd find a different apartment, security deposit + buy you own fridge...screw that.

GE/Whirlpool... check Costco or go to like a Lowes/Home Depot and look at their scratch&dent section.

Try to find one that's even half as cold as your ex. :wave:

Try to find one that's even half as cold as your ex. :wave:

Could he find a refrigerator that will bang the neighbor? :o

what are the dimensions you are dealing with (i.e. cabinet openings or restrictions in size?) fridge doors can have different hinges that work better or worse in certain setups to avoid conflicts of fridge doors restricting pantry door openings and whatnot. Start with that.

it is running

it is running

Oh yeah? Well then you better keep an eye on it, defrost it if necessary, follow the recommended maintenance schedule, etc, but don't get too worried because it seems to be in pretty decent shape. :thumbsup:

Me, I'd find a different apartment, security deposit + buy you own fridge...screw that.

Actually no. I was in a pinch breaking up with my GF and left. Needed a place and the only places I could find were really not worth the rent they were charging. Stayed with a family member for 2 months knowing my uncle said he had a house that was going to be open by then. So I went there after 2 months. He dropped the rent pretty cheap for me and replaced the stove but said you find a fridge.

So meh, wasn't really planning on dropping 1000 plus at this time. But hey is what it is and the decreased rent will pay for. Figure if I get a solid new one and keep it in good condition then hey I have a fridge for when I get settled in somewhere in the next couple years. Just hate the idea of dropping 1000-1500 when I wasn't expecting to and getting something that is loud as hell or breaks down within a year.

Have heard whirlpools are pretty durable and last. Someone told me to stay away from GE. But that's all I got and have never looked into buying a new fridge.

Also no security deposit.

You're lookin' at the Fridge,

I'm the rookie.

I may be large, but I'm no dumb cookie.

You've seen me hit, you've seen me run,

When I kick and pass, we'll have more fun.

I can dance, you will see

The others, they all learn from me.

I don't come here lookin' for trouble,

I just came here to do

The Super Bowl Shuffle.

Actually no. I was in a pinch breaking up with my GF and left. Needed a place and the only places I could find were really not worth the rent they were charging. Stayed with a family member for 2 months knowing my uncle said he had a house that was going to be open by then. So I went there after 2 months. He dropped the rent pretty cheap for me and replaced the stove but said you find a fridge.

So meh, wasn't really planning on dropping 1000 plus at this time. But hey is what it is and the decreased rent will pay for. Figure if I get a solid new one and keep it in good condition then hey I have a fridge for when I get settled in somewhere in the next couple years. Just hate the idea of dropping 1000-1500 when I wasn't expecting to and getting something that is loud as hell or breaks down within a year.

Have heard whirlpools are pretty durable and last. Someone told me to stay away from GE. But that's all I got and have never looked into buying a new fridge.

Also no security deposit.

I'd think you could get a decent one for about 800. Now if you later bought your dream home it might not suffice, but for an apartment? Just get some lower-end name brand fridge

Personally I wouldn't buy something too fancy if you plan on moving within a couple years. If you get a side by side who knows if it will even fit in the next place. Maybe just find a good used one off of Craigslist for a couple hundred and leave it in your uncles rental when you move.

Personally I wouldn't buy something too fancy if you plan on moving within a couple years. If you get a side by side who knows if it will even fit in the next place. Maybe just find a good used one off of Craigslist for a couple hundred and leave it in your uncles rental when you move.

Also solid advice. Hell do your uncle a solid and get an interim fridge at the same time. Two birds/one stone

I would suggest skipping the side by side if you are going to have more than 1 person in the home. Everyone I know that has a side by side says the same thing, you can not just stick big items in there.

Like, if you were to buy a Red Barron Pizza from the grocery, or something even bigger, it can be difficult, if not impossible, to get it in the freezer so I am told.

Leftover items, forget it, according to them. Most big dishes will not even fit in the refer part.

I have a normal fridge with the freezer on top. Bought it when I bought my house 20+ years ago and still works fine. Whirlpool.

21 footer with ice maker inside the freezer, not on the door. It still works fine too.

I always wished I had bought the side by side until I heard these people complaining recently about theirs.