Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

** Round 1 & 2 Commentary - July PPR Mock **

Rather than getting up in five hours to make this pick or, even worse, sleeping late and making everyone wait, I thought I'd get the inevitable out of the way. In a standard league I might have had to think a bit, but in a PPR I don't think you can pick anyone other than Antonio with the first pick.

......and that is the top 4 picks as I see them. I would have loved grabbing Beckham at 2 for his TD totals, but his little tirade vs. Morgan last season showed how you could get in his head. I felt Julio was a safer pick.

......and that is the top 4 picks as I see them. I would have loved grabbing Beckham at 2 for his TD totals, but his little tirade vs. Morgan last season showed how you could get in his head. I felt Julio was a safer pick.

I don't see it as a tirade. I think this view point is very skewed. Carolina came out with baseball bats before the game to try to intimidate him. He was being shoved and hit after plays. NO ONE on his own team stood up for him. I thought it was more an indictment on how poor the Giants team support was. He did what he had to to show he wasn't going to take their shlt. The after play blow to Josh was excessive, but if the entire Carolina defense is gunning for him I don't blame him, especially when the defense was giving him plenty of after whistle contact.

But I do agree that this is the top 4 as far as top end scoring. Djohns is easily my top RB since Bell does have more of an injury history.

RLLD did not check in. Could someone contact him on his status and let him know it is his pick in round one.

Thanks guys.

I don't see it as a tirade. I think this view point is very skewed. Carolina came out with baseball bats before the game to try to intimidate him. He was being shoved and hit after plays. NO ONE on his own team stood up for him. I thought it was more an indictment on how poor the Giants team support was. He did what he had to to show he wasn't going to take their shlt. The after play blow to Josh was excessive, but if the entire Carolina defense is gunning for him I don't blame him, especially when the defense was giving him plenty of after whistle contact.

he is likely to see more of this style of taunting

A little backup here, so I have sent my1.10 and 2.03 picks to Remote Controller in case they get to me and I am not available this morning.

• Like 1

Any player who is relentlessly taunted is going to shove back. If it's typical taunting that most players face I'm sure he will be fine. If he is getting hit after plays repeatedly without his own team standing up for him, well I would expect any player to stand up for himself. Any player that didn't probably doesn't belong in the NFL

Any player who is relentlessly taunted is going to shove back. If it's typical taunting that most players face I'm sure he will be fine. If he is getting hit after plays repeatedly without his own team standing up for him, well I would expect any player to stand up for himself. Any player that didn't probably doesn't belong in the NFL

Me too. I don't think you are following me on this though. I almost chose him and simply used that as the reason I went with Julio. He is a great player and should be picked in the first 3 or 4 picks of every ppr draft. I decided to play it safe, which is one of my fantasy football downfalls at times.

As for my David Johnson pick, some people think last year was more of an outlier than what Johnson could be as far as a consistent fantasy and football running back. I really do not know why he isn't more hyped. I think Melvin Gordon had more interest coming out of college before ever taking an NFL carry than Djohns has right now.

We know he catches well, but I think he is better than just a screen pass/dump off option. He played receiver in college and has shown excellent hands so far. I think in ppr he is as safe of a bet as it gets at running back.

Plus I believe the critique of his inside running has been way overblown. He averaged .1 more YPC than Chris which included most of the season as a short yardage back.

He did struggle in the playoffs. It did worry me a tad at first, but I soon dismissed my concern when I think back to the big question marks surrounding Arizonas offensive line going into last year. I think their line was exposed more in the playoffs leading to some very tough running lanes.

^ My biggest questions with him is whether or not he can 'hold up' throughout the course of an NFL season.

Certainly every RB has a risk, and there are no guarantees that the guy that has played 16 games last year will again this year, but I'd like to see a bit more history of his before fully jumping on board.

^ My biggest questions with him is whether or not he can 'hold up' throughout the course of an NFL season.

Certainly every RB has a risk, and there are no guarantees that the guy that has played 16 games last year will again this year, but I'd like to see a bit more history of his before fully jumping on board.

I can understand. I don't think he has shown any more propensity to being injury prone. You can basically go through an entire draft and not take a single RB besides Peterson if its that big of a concern.

Not to go off on too much of a tangent, but I think that's part of what these mocks are for, talking about guys and such.

It's part injury concern but also part experience. He was MONEY when he got the ball no doubt but he still only has 1 100 yard rushing game to his name and has only taken more than 10 carries in a game 6 times.

None of that may matter. It's just a track record thing.

He is a beast. I wish I owned a dynasty copy that's for sure.

If RLLD hasn't made a pick by 11 AM Central, his pick will be made for him.

BPA then give him a chance to check in before his next pick?

Any plaplayer cuz Ltd kklkyer who is relentlessly taunted is going to shove back. If it's typical taunting that most players face I'm sure he will be fine. If he is getting hit after plays repeatedly without his own team standing up for him, well I would expect any player to stand up for himself. Any player that didn't probably doesn't belong in the NFL

With the 8th pick I was basically taking the best player on my board which happened to be A.J. Green. I'm happy with him here especially in a PPR draft.

Green has a nice high floor. Higher than Hopkins imo. In non ppr he was a bit of a liability, but ppr he was still very solid along with those few games he goes insane.

The first 2 rounds should be fairly predictable.

I agree between 24 to 26 players, I was speaking of this first round. It could go one of many directions now.

Thanks for the text/email RC and Robb.

1.09 - TE Rob Gronkowski, NE

Personally I didn't have DJ in my top 8, so his selection unexpectedly dropped Gronk to me. I was expecting another player who I assume will be picked next. Happy to have Gronk. Lots of targets/receptions to go along with his high TD total puts a huge gap between him an the 2nd TE (of which there is uncertainly on who that will be). Not ideal to start with a TE in the first but his PPG diff against my "opponents" TE makes Gronk worth it this early with the other WR/RBs I'd select already off the board.

I just hate my teams when I take Gronk in the first. I'm not a fan but I know that's where he always gets picked.

I just hate my teams when I take Gronk in the first. I'm not a fan but I know that's where he always gets picked.

I hear yah. But another thing Gronk is, is consistent. And I like that from my 1st round pick. Don't think anyone else left had that along with the high level of production.

Thanks for making my pick guys, network is down here so I am resorting to using my cell, sigh

I hear yah. But another thing Gronk is, is consistent. And I like that from my 1st round pick. Don't think anyone else left had that along with the high level of production.

ADP has had a couple consistent years. That was a great 1.10 gift, and that's not slamming Jeff for talking gronk.

ADP has had a couple consistent years. That was a great 1.10 gift, and that's not slamming Jeff for talking gronk.

I'll expand on this later but if I comment now it will give away some draft strategy.

Lamar Miller should be solid this season. maybe this team will use him.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if the first year I commit to building my team around WRs (within reason, of course), I find guys like Miller and (EDIT: and now after drafting him) Elliott falling in my lap at the end of the first round in most of my drafts?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: It would not surprise me if Miller led all RBs in PPR scoring.

Thanks for the text/email RC and Robb.

1.09 - TE Rob Gronkowski, NE

Personally I didn't have DJ in my top 8, so his selection unexpectedly dropped Gronk to me. I was expecting another player who I assume will be picked next. Happy to have Gronk. Lots of targets/receptions to go along with his high TD total puts a huge gap between him an the 2nd TE (of which there is uncertainly on who that will be). Not ideal to start with a TE in the first but his PPG diff against my "opponents" TE makes Gronk worth it this early with the other WR/RBs I'd select already off the board.

You must not have payed attention to current adp data. Not sure if you meant David Johnson, or if it was a typo and you meant AJ Green. Either way both players have an average draft position of 1.08 in ppr according to FFC, while Gronk is at 1.12. There have been no surprises so far that are way outside the averages that I can see.

I was going to comment on this also as I too think ADP is as consistent a RB as you can get these days. Bell-no, Gurley-had some issues, etc.

Not sure I wanted a RB here, but I believe this was the best player there at 1.10....BPA!