Sign in to follow this  
giraldi02

How Does Your League Do Waivers?

All but one of my leagues does FAAB.

One league however does inverse standings order. I've been trying to change it for a couple years, but no one wants to. It's the stupidest form of waivers I've ever seen and cannot understand it.

Leaguemates claim that it maintains a competitive balance. Teams that win early on are punished though, regardless of whether they truly have decent teams, or are just lucky and facing a couple low-scoring teams early on.

What about the rest of youse? Any interesting quirks? Traditional rolling Waivers inverse of draft order?

In 16 years our league has done every stinking thing known to man. They all have flaws and suck to varying degrees. Our system this year is do what you want. Our rosters are VERY big so as to limit the cherry picking.

I set up two FAAB periods a week: after MNF - for a day - and after TNF - for a day. Blind bidding regardless of record. 1000 'units' for each team to spend throughout the year; bid 0 for desired player after that, and instant add/drops after every FAAB period, with no waiver period.

We start the season in the inverse of the draft order and throughout the season you are moved to last priority each time you make a claim. All players clear waivers on Thursday.

I will play any system EXCEPT inverse order with a preference for FAAB. This is not the NFL, parody is not beneficial to viewership. The best teams should win money, and the worst teams should pay in. Bullsh!t fairness rule are the worst.

First come first served in my league but it will cost ya. Any transaction after kickoff on Sunday is $5. Monday $4. Tuesday $3. Wednesday $2. Thursday till Sunday before kickoff $1. Everyone prepays $20 of transactions fees to start the season.

Guys who don't care about how much they spend will grab guys on game day but it doesn't always work. Cheap guys will wait or just not make moves and that doesn't always work. You have to be smart with your pick ups or risks spending a lot of money.

I think the only thing that causes more controversy in fantasy football than FA pick ups are trades.

I have done inverse of standings week to week. I like this way okay because it does promote balance in my opinion.

I have done roll over waivers where you take a FA you go to the back of the list and thought it worked just fine as well. Makes it a little more strategic.

I have done completely open and like this way because it gives everyone a shot each week to get the top FAs. The main problem was never being able to agree on a time when FA unlocked each week.

I have done limited FA where each team only got a limited amount, usually 5, of FA pick ups the entire season. We had large rosters in this league. I didn't like this way too much but I wouldn't say it's bad with the large rosters.
They all work pretty well and have their pros and cons. Different systems are better for different leagues.

Inverse of standings is the way all the leagues I'm in have always done it .

But it will cost you money .

12 team league let's say your in twelve place and want to pick up some one it will cost you 12 bucks , and so on .

Simply do inverse order of the draft and with each waiver claim you move down to the bottom. During the season, the order is redone each week based on standings. Yes, this "hurts" the better teams, but it just means you have to think a week or two ahead. Sometimes I won't make a claim on Wednesday so that my waiver position improves and I consider making a claim on Saturday for someone dropped earlier in the week. We have limited bench (not one of those "9 starters and 9 bench" leagues) so some usable players get dropped. It's all about strategy and planning for the season.

Simply do inverse order of the draft and with each waiver claim you move down to the bottom. During the season, the order is redone each week based on standings. Yes, this "hurts" the better teams, but it just means you have to think a week or two ahead. Sometimes I won't make a claim on Wednesday so that my waiver position improves and I consider making a claim on Saturday for someone dropped earlier in the week. We have limited bench (not one of those "9 starters and 9 bench" leagues) so some usable players get dropped. It's all about strategy and planning for the season.

I don't think this method hurts better teams. This method helps patient owners.

My main league uses a 2 period (M-W then W-F) blind bidding system, with 1st-come, 1st served for $1 each after that up until first game time on Sunday. Players dropped any time after the first blind bids have been processed aren't eligible for pick up until the following week, to help avoid collusion dump-offs. Limit 3 transaction per week, not counting IR moves.

starts with reverse order of draft, then rolling waivers the rest of the year. Make a pick, move to last, so on and so forth.

Meh

It's the only fair system. I play in a first come, first serve FA league and the guy who sits at his computer all day always gets the jump on the injury news and the replacement players.

It's also more fun.

It's the only fair system. I play in a first come, first serve FA league and the guy who sits at his computer all day always gets the jump on the injury news and the replacement players.

It's also more fun.

I prefer a competitive league and I like to spend time focusing on the waiver. If you can dedicate the time to it then join a different league. I'm in many leagues and I prefer this one the most. I hate waiting to get a player. If I want a player and he's available I want him right now and I'll pay the price for him. In my league if a player makes huge play early in the season he will be picked up within minutes and it costs them $5. I prefer to wait and save some money unless I know the player is going to be a starter due to injury or something. The best part is that all that money goes into the pot and gets paid out at the end of the year.

We do faab, but this year we don't start pick ups until Wednesday, except for players in the Thursday night game. The reason we pushed until Wednesday is that there is no injury info until Wednesday. A few guys over the years have put in for a player Tuesday night only to find out he's not practicing and then all of a sudden out. They wasted their money.

I prefer a competitive league and I like to spend time focusing on the waiver. If you can dedicate the time to it then join a different league. I'm in many leagues and I prefer this one the most. I hate waiting to get a player. If I want a player and he's available I want him right now and I'll pay the price for him. In my league if a player makes huge play early in the season he will be picked up within minutes and it costs them $5. I prefer to wait and save some money unless I know the player is going to be a starter due to injury or something. The best part is that all that money goes into the pot and gets paid out at the end of the year.

We have open waivers 24/7,if you're watching a game and a guy goes down and you're first to pick-up his back-up he's yours.

We have open waivers 24/7,if you're watching a game and a guy goes down and you're first to pick-up his back-up he's yours.

That's the way I like it. The only difference for my league is that we have to pay for pick ups.

Paying for any move is the way it should be .

In all the leagues that I'm in , all moves cost you something .

And based on your teams standing , it cost you more the worst record your team as .

That's the way I like it. The only difference for my league is that we have to pay for pick ups.

There's no difference,I said earlier in the thread all our transactions are $5 per

I'm in 4 leagues...

2 are reverse standings, which I don't have a problem with. I've never been a top 5 waiver claimer in that league and it hasn't stopped me from winning it twice in the last 5 years.

One is an auction league, so that one is bidding.

The other is a bidding league also, but you're paying real money for them.

I'm really struggling with this issue for this upcoming season.

Does anyone 'hate' FAAB? If so, why?

My long-standing league is all open all the time with a cap on # of moves in a season. And yeah, if you're doing anything other than watching when a dude gets hurt badly, you are NOT getting the handcuff/backup. And even then, you could miss it depending on what game(s)/channel(s)/websites you're watching. And there's half a dozen moves made during the 2nd half of the first games on the first 10 or so Sundays of the season. Each year, I dislike it more and more. And a few other folks are starting to agree with me, but we can't agree on what to 'pitch' to the rest of the league. FAAB in some incarnation is the only option I see.

I enjoy watching football for the football with fantasy as a sidebar. I'm planted in front of TVs all day Sunday around 12 weeks of the regular season. But I don't love keeping my eyes peeled for carts and limpin all game long. And sometimes, adults gotta adult (work, kids, travelling, etc) and miss at least a piece of a rando Monday/Sunday/Thursday night game.

I just don't know if FAAB is the way to go. I THINK I'd like it, but I think my league will still want to keep the same moves cap.

Does anyone 'hate' FAAB?

I absolutely know I do not want basic 'open and close' waivers with priority/order. Every time I've had that, I've hated it. And I cannot imagine doing that with the 'weekly 'standings order. I have no idea how a bad team can look at themselves with pride in...let's say week 7 when they land a key free agent only because they are bad and the league is set up to bail them out. And can't that lead to tanking (IE: changing lineup to try to ensure a lose) if a key injury happens in an early game? Oh my...

I also don't love the 'everything unlocks at 3 AM Wednesday morning, so get up at 2:46 AM, cue up multiple windows with roster moves and then get ready to see if anyone else is awake too' set-up.

Here's the problem we have in our league. We do inverse order based on the record each week.

Well the problem we had last year is we had one team shoot out to like 6 and 0 but the team that started at 1 and 5 was able to pick up Deangelo Williams xcetera all these big name free agents because they were first for like a solid five weeks out of the season. Well then they just steamrolled everybody. Meanwhile the team that got out to a 6 and 0 start was always 12th in waivers and was getting nobody on waivers.

Feels like you were rewarding mismanaging your team or draft by doing it this way.

Here's the problem we have in our league. We do inverse order based on the record each week.

Well the problem we had last year is we had one team shoot out to like 6 and 0 but the team that started at 1 and 5 was able to pick up Deangelo Williams xcetera all these big name free agents because they were first for like a solid five weeks out of the season. Well then they just steamrolled everybody. Meanwhile the team that got out to a 6 and 0 start was always 12th in waivers and was getting nobody on waivers.

Feels like you were rewarding mismanaging your team or draft by doing it this way.

Exactly. It is a horrible way to have waivers work. I'd rather all open all the time so at least you have to be 'on it' to get someone. If not, have waivers clear on Tuesday or Wednesday with any successful waiver claim moving you to the back of the line. At least with that, you can't just take the top free agent every week that your team is losing.

'I've been losing so any key free agent the week after basically goes to me automatically until I'm good' is just objectively a bad way to go. It is almost like giving someone extra picks in the first half of a draft based on previous performance.

You hit the nail on the head. Reverse waivers is a joke. I get the idea that you don't want to reward the owner who sits in front of the TV all day, but...

--Most of us are football fans, we're sitting there anyway

--Technology allows you to get up to the minute updates and technology allows you to quickly respond to a necessary move

I coach ice hockey and during football season I am oftentimes not watching the games or available at a computer. But the rinks have TVs, the parents on my team are always giving me info (a couple even play fantasy football) and in the last 4 years I have lost ONE free agent I wanted (a couple years ago when Denver was doing all that crap with their backs)...but that was ultimately my fault.

I've done the "pay for agents" thing and it's not that bad, but we're going all in this year...DO WHAT YOU WANT.

We do reverse waivers and the waiver wire opens Wednesday morning. After that it is first come first served until Sunday.

Increase your roster size.

Yep...bigger rosters can help but try to not overdo that because then it just becomes a stashathon if you don't have enough starters. Besides that, you have to fight to get those waivers priority rules changed away from standings. If your league is long-standing enough, it isn't crazy to say 'sack up and don't be terrible'.

I've never found that reverse waivers is a bad thing. I've been playing in those for years. It's been my experience that people who complain about them are the one's who think they're better or smarter at playing fantasy football than others. I've experienced over and over again where last place teams never really improve all that much because of the better waiver position because they're generally picking down there because their team stinks. Also, I've found that the teams on the back end of the waivers are there because they that have better teams and getting free agents doesn't really help all that much because the free agents are depth and not starters.

Besides, if you're really that good or that smart, you should be able to see the right pick ups a week before everyone else. If you're because someone was able to pick up Williams, why didn't you pick him up the week before "just in case"?

I've had bad seasons where waivers didn't help. I've had good seasons where others getting everyone didn't stop me. Waivers only "help" your team, they don't make them unstoppable. Besides, there's always people that can or should be picked up every week that have been left. Don't complain if you were one of them because the following week that player's value went up and you missed out the second time around.

Blind Bidding... but you can only use your available salary cap space.
You can however cut multiple players to only pick up 1.
So you can free up more cap space that way but then you lose depth.

Can't do this system on the mainstream sites that ignore salaries once the auction is over.

Blind Bidding... but you can only use your available salary cap space.

You can however cut multiple players to only pick up 1.

So you can free up more cap space that way but then you lose depth.

Can't do this system on the mainstream sites that ignore salaries once the auction is over.

I would like to do this may I ask how much money of cap space Do u start with what number

I've been doing FF since Fall 1991.

Most have been reverse standings. Early on, one of my leagues was "who grabs him first." The last pay league I did was FAAB, and *I* think that is the FAIREST way. Bid thru Wed midnight. Processed early Thursday AM. From then on, first come, first served for a flat 10 credits per pickup, thru Sunday. Dropped players are frozen until following Wednesday at midnight, to prevent collusion.