Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

** Round 11 - 16 Commentary - August 10-Team PPR Mock **

I was torn here between two running backs. One will definitely catch more passes than Howard, but I can also see Howard becoming the starter for Chicago. It's amazing to me how high Langford gets drafted. Many people believe he is a good pass catching back, when in reality I think he is shaky at best. Plus he doesn't have much power or lateral shake.

Carey was a waste of a pick two years ago.

That leaves the rookie who is hopefully as good of a power runner as I believe he will be. Fox likes the power runner. What he doesn't like is a back who doesn't really do anything well besides run fast in a straight line.

I never watched many Bears games last season and didn't see Langford play. Is he that bad? I've avoided him pretty much in my mocks because of the underwhelming reports about him.

I never watched many Bears games last season and didn't see Langford play. Is he that bad? I've avoided him pretty much in my mocks because of the underwhelming reports about him.

Yes he is. As a Bears Homer I watched a lot of him. I expect him to go nice and early in our draft. I know my one buddy is keen on Howard too so I have to pick where I take him carefully. Being a non ppr league Howard is even more valuable to me there.

I was torn here between two running backs. One will definitely catch more passes than Howard, but I can also see Howard becoming the starter for Chicago. It's amazing to me how high Langford gets drafted. Many people believe he is a good pass catching back, when in reality I think he is shaky at best. Plus he doesn't have much power or lateral shake.

Carey was a waste of a pick two years ago.

That leaves the rookie who is hopefully as good of a power runner as I believe he will be. Fox likes the power runner. What he doesn't like is a back who doesn't really do anything well besides run fast in a straight line.

Off the subject, but I'd love a Bears fan's assessment of Kevin White - someone I might be targeting in my draft.

Needed to pair someone with Rodgers bye week so I took Romo. Also decided to grab a defense and ended up choosing Arizonas D. With the addition of chandler jones for pass rushing that defense should be something to contend with

Off the subject, but I'd love a Bears fan's assessment of Kevin White - someone I might be targeting in my draft.

Honestly I have no idea. I think he has a ton of potential. Jeffery always has soft tissue issues so he could have a big year. All I have heard is that he looks the part so far. I believe he will be very good, but I don't have much to go off of.

I don't always take a DST this early but since I have my other positions locked up and I have the Chiefs as one of the top defenses I might as well grab them.

I don't always take a DST this early but since I have my other positions locked up and I have the Chiefs as one of the top defenses I might as well grab them.

You made me think of the "Most Interesting Man in the World" commercial.......I don't always drink beer, but when I do.....

"Stay thirsty" (mock well) "my friends".... :D

You made me think of the "Most Interesting Man in the World" commercial.......I don't always drink beer, but when I do.....

LOL I should have turned it into one of those comments.

Tip of the cap for this afternoon-brightener !

Haw

LOL I should have turned it into one of those comments.

You can the next time you mock and happen to take a DST early then use it. :doublethumbsup:

Haw

You can the next time you mock and happen to take a DST early then use it. :doublethumbsup:

Or any other draft position early. :thumbsup:

sorry for the delay... mai bad

While I'd rather roll with an Aiken who's been working out with Flacco in his spare time than a Mike Wallace who failed his conditioning test, Wallace is just one year removed from registering 13.39 points-per-game and that was with a QB who had trouble throwing the deep ball. Flacco, on the other hand is good at throwing deep, setting up the potential for Wallace to rebound significantly.

While I'd rather roll with an Aiken who's been working out with Flacco in his spare time than a Mike Wallace who failed his conditioning test, Wallace is just one year removed from registering 13.39 points-per-game and that was with a QB who had trouble throwing the deep ball. Flacco, on the other hand is good at throwing deep, setting up the potential for Wallace to rebound significantly.

I like the pick. A QB and WR that are a match made in heaven.

Wanted Gates and Coates these last couple turns, you guys are killing me!

I had to get too picky here, but I am going to hold off making a round 15 selection because the Roster requirements are each team needs one Kicker and one Defense. the worm does not have either and he only has one selection left.

Would that imply that he needs to re-pick his Round 15 selection as either a K or Defense?

I had to get too picky here, but I am going to hold off making a round 15 selection because the Roster requirements are each team needs one Kicker and one Defense. the worm does not have either and he only has one selection left.

Would that imply that he needs to re-pick his Round 15 selection as either a K or Defense?

Not true robb. No requirements for the draft. Just drafting for a team that would start a DST and K.

Here were the rules that are posted:

The Draft will last 16 rounds. PPR Scoring. No specific position requirements that you must take. You can draft 16 defenses if you want, but we'll ridicule you if that's your strategy.

- Redraft league (not best ball)

- You should draft assuming a starting lineup consisting of 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WRs, 1TE, 1K, & 1 D/ST.

- No trading of draft picks

- No Trades.

From the Rules post:

"The Draft will last 16 rounds. PPR Scoring. No specific position requirements that you must take. You can draft 16 defenses if you want, but we'll ridicule you if that's your strategy"

From the Rules post:

"The Draft will last 16 rounds. PPR Scoring. No specific position requirements that you must take. You can draft 16 defenses if you want, but we'll ridicule you if that's your strategy"

Oh sweet! Sounds great to me.

Just don't take my sleeper pick then. :nono:

"The Draft will last 16 rounds. PPR Scoring. No specific position requirements that you must take. You can draft 16 defenses if you want, but we'll ridicule you if that's your strategy.

- You should draft assuming a starting lineup consisting of 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WRs, 1TE, 1K, & 1 D/ST.

- No Trades"

I should have posted a fuller quote. I'm going to be drafting a K and a DST so that I have a full team.

Not true robb. No requirements for the draft. Just drafting for a team that would start a DST and K.

Here were the rules that are posted:

The Draft will last 16 rounds. PPR Scoring. No specific position requirements that you must take. You can draft 16 defenses if you want, but we'll ridicule you if that's your strategy.

- No Trades.

I beg to differ here. I have participated in the June/July Mock Drafts here for 7 years now, and every one of them has required a Defense and Kicker. Mike tries to set these up to be as close to a real draft as possible, and still, most drafts utilize these 2 positions.

Mike......what say you????

I beg to differ here. I have participated in the June/July Mock Drafts here for 7 years now, and every one of them has required a Defense and Kicker. Mike tries to set these up to be as close to a real draft as possible, and still, most drafts utilize these 2 positions.

Mike......what say you????

Why would we change it now when we knew the rules to this draft before we started. I was very happy to see this because I'm in two different leagues that don't have these requirements. When I do mocks on FFC a lot of people skip drafting a kicker and sometimes even a defense.

I have a guy in my league who doesn't fill his K and DST spot for the first two weeks. Instead he drafts excess RBs and likes to shop trade offers. I'm quite delighted to face him early and have roughly a 16 point advantage against his K/DST - deficient team.

So I'd say you're free to take a pass on drafting K/DST if you want but that your team will be accordingly handicapped thereby for evaluation purposes.

If I were doing a legitimate draft right now, online, and the host site allowed me to forego the positions, I would. Some sites, like ESPN, make you draft one.

In the instance of a mock, I'll probably draft a K and a D/ST just so I have the complete team.

I have a guy in my league who doesn't fill his K and DST spot for the first two weeks. Instead he drafts excess RBs and likes to shop trade offers. I'm quite delighted to face him early and have roughly a 16 point advantage against his K/DST - deficient team.

So I'd say you're free to take a pass on drafting K/DST if you want but that you're team will be accordingly handicapped thereby for evaluation purposes.

I never use to do it but I did last year. It can depend on when my draft is too. If it's two weeks before the season I'll skip on kicker because I still don't know who all the starting kickers are going to be and I'm fine with grabbing whoever, especially since I'm just going to stream them anyway. I prefer to have the extra RB/WR on my team as I think it's give me just a slight chance more at getting a guy that will start. Basically I'm just trying to gain an advantage even though it's probably pretty small.

Also, we've had a few players who've already drafted a K or DST, who might not have done so if they'd approached this mock with the same outlook towards the format that Hawkeye has.

In my auction league it's very unconventional. We have $100 to buy 10 players and when that's over we do a snake draft for the remaining 6 roster spots. No position requirements but when the season starts you must start 1QB, 2RBs, 3WRs, 1TE, 1RB/WR/TE, 1DST and 1K. In the auction part of the draft I'm really considering spending all my money on RBs and WRs because I think I can still get a suitable QB and TE at the start of the snake portion of the draft.

Sounds crazy doesn't it?

Well this is my first time drafting on here and I'll select a DEF but not a kicker then. I don't think the evaluation cares about my kicker. :P

I think it's important to do this mock draft like you would if it were for a real league knowing that you are going to add and drop players before and during the season. It doesn't help others if we are doing it just to complete a roster.

The Rules are different for the August mock from July mock. In July we need to draft at least 2 qb 4 rb 4 wr 1 TE 1 k 1 d. This mock there are no positional reauirements. It even says a team can draft 16 defenses if they want. So pick away!

You go ahead with this strategy Spanker, but if you look at estimated points for the scoring for this Mock, you'll see kickers getting almost 50% more points than defenses.