Sign in to follow this  
tanatastic

Drafting an injured guy in a keeper league to keep for next season. Common or dirty pool?

Never been in a keeper league. This season my league decided to become a keeper and we all get to pick 1 guy from last years draft to keep. It costs you the round you took him in. So if you took Gurley in round 5 and keep him, you dont get a 5th round pick this year and get to keep Gurley instead.

That got me thinking that I wish I had known this last season. I would have drafted Jordy Nelson, who missed the season, with my last pick anticipating keeping him this season.

So when someone who figures to be a high pick next season gets hurt this preseason, I can draft them with a last pick and have a steal of a value keeper for next year. Is this a common thing in keepers or have I ripped a hole in time and space with my genius?

Edit note: The keepers are based on who you drafted. So after the draft I can cut him and pick up a kicker. Dont need to roster him all season.

Edit again: I think my commish is doing keepers wrong and you are supposed to keep a guy on your team, not just from the previous draft. That makes more sense. But then again that wouldnt work with the keeper costing you a round. What if I keep an undrafted guy?

In my experience it's pretty common, as long as your benches are deep or you have an IR slot. It limits your in-season flexibility, but is a good investment if you have the room.

Been there done that. Its all good as long as you have deep rosters.

You can just cut him after the draft and pick up a kicker. Keepers are based on who you drafted.

You can just cut him after the draft and pick up a kicker. Keepers are based on who you drafted.

but what happens if another team picks him up off waivers?

but what happens if another team picks him up off waivers?

Nothin, we can only keep guys we drafted. Maybe this is not the norm and regular keeper leagues you have to keep someone who is on your team at years end?

The commish is clearly doing something wrong here. With a system like that you're going to get collusion. Make an in-season trade to benefit someone else and then get that player back the following season?

Found it to be command when I was in keeper leagues in the past .

Nothin, we can only keep guys we drafted. Maybe this is not the norm and regular keeper leagues you have to keep someone who is on your team at years end?

I don't think I like that rule.

The commish is clearly doing something wrong here. With a system like that you're going to get collusion. Make an in-season trade to benefit someone else and then get that player back the following season?

Exactly what happens with trades?

I've never seen any league do that. Weird, weird setup.

It's who is on our roster by the time the regular ffball season ends. Vincent Jackson was my keeper once after he missed 10 games due to hold out.

• Like 1

It's who is on our roster by the time the regular ffball season ends. Vincent Jackson was my keeper once after he missed 10 games due to hold out.

So how do you decide what round the keeper costs you if you end up keeping a waiver wire guy?

When we used round values in our league....

Players drafted after the 5th round are keeper eligible

Waiver additions cost a 10th rounder

Players could be kept for draft round value by any team that owned him at the last week of the season, even if that team did not draft them.

Any player traded after week 5 was not eligible to be kept the following season. (This seems to be the most important aspect of all this)

....we decided it's really complicated and now we have 3 keepers with no value. Anyone drafted after the 5th round is eligible. We keep 3. Shortened the draft by 3 rounds, and called it good.

In my keeper leagues, a player's draft price goes with him. So, if you draft Frank Gore with a 4th round pick and dump him after week 5, anyone who picks him up would still pay a 4th to keep him.

Waiver pickups who went undrafted get assigned a fix round, like the 10th. Then you can either cap all keepers at no better than the 10th, or make taking a player late in the draft an extra bonus and let you keep him for the 12th, 13th, 14th, or whatever round he was actually picked.

So how do you decide what round the keeper costs you if you end up keeping a waiver wire guy?

Some leagues have a set round for any free agent like the 4th or 5th. The added player acquires the round of the dropped player. Although our commish basically figures it out through the year. It's a lot of work on him.

Well I should say that's how we did do it. We are switching to auction now. I assume a free agent add gets the auction value of the player dropped. Plus each year a player is kept they accrue an extra 20% cost for a max of two years. I would a had djohns in the 17th.... what a stupid year to propose we do auction. Yes it was my idea too.

This isn't normal, usually its year end rosters and the round they were drafted... So you can trade for someone with keeper value, and if you drafted Gordon in the 17th rd last year you have to stash him all year.

We have a rule WW pickups can be kept, but they get assigned as a Rd 7 keeper

This isn't normal, usually its year end rosters and the round they were drafted... So you can trade for someone with keeper value, and if you drafted Gordon in the 17th rd last year you have to stash him all year.

We have a rule WW pickups can be kept, but they get assigned as a Rd 7 keeper

Much easier on the commish to just assign a value.

Question to everyone: in a keeper auction, how does the league handle keepers who were acquired via ww?

Much easier on the commish to just assign a value.

Question to everyone: in a keeper auction, how does the league handle keepers who were acquired via ww?

In my dynasty auction league, we have a hard cap at $250. If you get a guy off the waivers for $30 during the season, that's his cap hit.

We allow for the person who drafted the IR guy to keep him all year if he wants to burn a bench spot bc we have a small bench.

We allow for the person who drafted the IR guy to keep him all year if he wants to burn a bench spot bc we have a small bench.

This makes sense.

if you drop the guy, you shouldnt be able to pick him back up at the end of the year and keep him for a 10th round pick (or whatever)

as far as I am concerned, once he is off your roster, hes an undrafted Free agent and should be treated as such.

In my dynasty auction league, we have a hard cap at $250. If you get a guy off the waivers for $30 during the season, that's his cap hit.

We do not have faab for waivers

Not trying to be a d1ck, but I think that is poor keeper league design. You should have to keep the player on your roster for the season, and IMHO, the player should play at least one snap during the season, but that is debatable. Drafting a player and cutting him right away takes away the entire point of a "keeper".

Never been in a keeper league. This season my league decided to become a keeper and we all get to pick 1 guy from last years draft to keep. It costs you the round you took him in. So if you took Gurley in round 5 and keep him, you dont get a 5th round pick this year and get to keep Gurley instead.

That got me thinking that I wish I had known this last season. I would have drafted Jordy Nelson, who missed the season, with my last pick anticipating keeping him this season.

So when someone who figures to be a high pick next season gets hurt this preseason, I can draft them with a last pick and have a steal of a value keeper for next year. Is this a common thing in keepers or have I ripped a hole in time and space with my genius?

Edit note: The keepers are based on who you drafted. So after the draft I can cut him and pick up a kicker. Dont need to roster him all season.

Edit again: I think my commish is doing keepers wrong and you are supposed to keep a guy on your team, not just from the previous draft. That makes more sense. But then again that wouldnt work with the keeper costing you a round. What if I keep an undrafted guy?

Agree that only keeping drafted guys is absurd. Shocking actually, that you could keep someone you released that could be on someone else's roster.

One keeper? What's the point? Not to be rude, but your league wants to be playing redraft.

I never liked relating keeper(s) to the drafted round. Although it seems to be the norm, I prefer to let everyone keep their best player(s) and then draft. I like to have enough keepers to transition from a redraft mind set to one of long term team building. Reward the teams who can build a solid nucleus; not the "I get to pick player "X" who I drafted in the 11th round." garbage.

Agree that only keeping drafted guys is absurd. Shocking actually, that you could keep someone you released that could be on someone else's roster.

One keeper? What's the point? Not to be rude, but your league wants to be playing redraft.

I never liked relating keeper(s) to the drafted round. Although it seems to be the norm, I prefer to let everyone keep their best player(s) and then draft. I like to have enough keepers to transition from a redraft mind set to one of long term team building. Reward the teams who can build a solid nucleus; not the "I get to pick player "X" who I drafted in the 11th round." garbage.

How is that garbage? It takes strategy to plan out keepers and what round to take them in. I have benefited from using this strategy in my keeper league.

In my league we can draft injured guys and put them on our I.r. for the year then keep them next year but can't trade guys on I.r. unless it's for other guys on I.r to avoid the "help me this year and ill help you for next year" crap...

Someone is going into this year with Nelson and Gordon while someone else grabbed Benjamin... We battle over those guys so they go earlier than they would in most leagues.. It definitely hurts the team that drafts them for the current year since they miss out on someone that will play that current year and help them immediately....

The way we used to do it before going complete dynasty was: A guy who was drafted always keeps his draft round status. If you draft player A in round 5, he's always a fifth rounder. If you trade him away, he's a fifth. If you cut him and pick him back up, or another team picks him up, he's a fifth.

If you decided to keep an undrafted free agent that was a 12th rounder. (We had 18 rounds).

Draft-Day is like Christmas every year to me. A lot of people who do keeper leagues go back to opening it back up. For me to show up for a draft knowing I cant get any studs would be pointless. I like the idea of rooting for Antonio Brown 1 year or a Beckham the next. I did note your keeping just 1 player where most leagues have 3, but still think it suks.

How is that garbage? It takes strategy to plan out keepers and what round to take them in. I have benefited from using this strategy in my keeper league.

Having to make a decision doesn't always mean strategy. I'm going to keep player "X", whose ADP is the 5th round, because he only cost me an 11th round pick is garbage to me. I believe that, if you're going to play in a keeper format, you should be keeping your best players. The teams that do the best job of long term roster building should go into the draft with a stronger team.

It doesn't matter what round you originally drafted the player! The NFL doesn't do that... this is just some contrived thing that could have been intended to limit the quality of the players kept. I just think "why bother"?

Draft-Day is like Christmas every year to me. A lot of people who do keeper leagues go back to opening it back up. For me to show up for a draft knowing I cant get any studs would be pointless. I like the idea of rooting for Antonio Brown 1 year or a Beckham the next. I did note your keeping just 1 player where most leagues have 3, but still think it suks.

Some prefer redraft but deep keeper or dynasty leagues really change the way you manage the team. I like the extra challenge of trying to win and plan for next year... and the year after that.

Having to make a decision doesn't always mean strategy. I'm going to keep player "X", whose ADP is the 5th round, because he only cost me an 11th round pick is garbage to me. I believe that, if you're going to play in a keeper format, you should be keeping your best players. The teams that do the best job of long term roster building should go into the draft with a stronger team.

It doesn't matter what round you originally drafted the player! The NFL doesn't do that... this is just some contrived thing that could have been intended to limit the quality of the players kept. I just think "why bother"?

Benefits shrewd drafting, like my David Johnson in the 13th round last year....

It also maintains interest in the redraft, because...and stay with me, not everybody likes the same thing as you! Holy Sh!t right?????

If you don't like that style of keeper league then fine, but saying it's garbage sounds cry babyish to me. As a diligent owner it has benefitted me more than hurt me. Maybe you would benefit that style of league if you just put a little more effort in in draft day :dunno:

If you don't like that style of keeper league then fine, but saying it's garbage sounds cry babyish to me. As a diligent owner it has benefitted me more than hurt me. Maybe you would benefit that style of league if you just put a little more effort in in draft day :dunno:

Either that, or we can start a redraft league, and we can have him grace us with his presence. If he's really nice to us, maybe he can even give us draft advice before the draft. And then set our lineups for us after it.

Agree with a lot of the comments about it being bizarre to be able to drop a play right after you draft them yet still be able to keep them the following year. We did have a guy draft an IR player a couple of years back, but he had to burn a bench spot to carry him the entire year. Personally that hits me as a waste of a bench spot, but the option is there for anyone else that wants to do it.

Our: keeper rules...

- Four players kept

- Next year's value is this year's round +1 (so a 5th rounder will cost a 4th next year, etc)

- Each player can only be kept for three years before being forced back into the draft pool (regardless of whether or not the player was dropped at any point in the year)

- Undrafted free agents are worth a round 9 keeper value. If you want to keep two, one would be round 8 and one round 9 (order based on fantasyfootballcalculator.com ADP)

- Players picked up in the post season aren't eligible to be a keeper as our teams are locked down when eliminated. That wouldn't be fair to give some teams access to keepers that others don't have the option of picking up.

- The inverse of that is that any player dropped during the post season is no longer eligible as a keeper. So you have to continue carrying the player on your bench if you want the option to keep him.

And I'll echo the opinion that tying the round to the previous year's pick is part of the strategy. I'll often let better players go because I'd have to keep them in the first or second round, vs. this year being able to keep Jeremy Hill and David Johnson for 13th and 14th rounds. Keeper value plays a big part of who gets kept or dropped. It's always interesting to see who the other managers select based on that.

I respect that everyone has different ideas of how they like to play, but to call rules 'garbage' just because you don't like them? Sorry, that's completely childish.

I just started a keeper. Basic rules are like most:

- 2 keepers

- Cost is round drafted -1 and -2

- If you lose same round for 2 players kept, it's that round and same round -1

- Can keep any player on your roster that was drafted.

- Cannot keep undrafted player

- Cannot keep drafted or costed round 1 or round 2 player

- Keeper eligible player must be part of your roster on or before the trade deadline

- Keep eligible player must be on your roster at end of season

Being able to keep a player that you drafted but is not on your roster seems odd.

I'm in a league with similar keeper rules with a few differences. We have a two keeper limit, with a two year max for keeping the same player. The first year you keep a player, his cost is the round he was picked last year. All keepers that were claimed off the waiver wire and were not picked in the previous draft, count as last round picks. Players that were dropped during the year and picked up can be kept, but still count as the round they were picked in. You can't keep two players that will cost you two first round picks, any other over lap in draft value keepers results in losing the previous pick (trying to keep two players in the 8th, will cost a 7th and 8th rounder). The second year to keep a player we use the players ADP based on a website we decided on. This is complicated, but it keeps players moving around and a person only really benefits with a great value for one year, forcing people to draft well every year.

Benefits shrewd drafting, like my David Johnson in the 13th round last year....

It also maintains interest in the redraft, because...and stay with me, not everybody likes the same thing as you! Holy Sh!t right?????

Sorry that you don't like what it is... essentially redraft.

I gave you my opinion. I consider those type of keeper restrictions garbage. And that's why they exist - to prevent elite players from being kept.

Instead of telling me how diligent you are and assuming I don't put effort into the draft (yes, i know you just made that up), let me know why you think the rule makes sense?

Our league has this keeper system and exteded contracts.

I have Jordy in the 10th round and Josh Gordon in the 12th for this and the next two seasons.

I gave you my opinion. I consider those type of keeper restrictions garbage. And that's why they exist - to prevent elite players from being kept.

Instead of telling me how diligent you are and assuming I don't put effort into the draft (yes, i know you just made that up), let me know why you think the rule makes sense?

Still sounds cry babyish.

Well it promotes people to look ahead more and plan their keepers in the draft better. Instead of just assuming the most likely keeper is one of the guys drafted in the 1st two rounds.

When someone is keeping Antonio Brown at face value in the 1st, I am keeping David Johnson in the 15th or whatever round it was. I planned it that way. So I would be rewarded for being better at planning and scouting, along with execution to make sure I got that player.

If someone else wants that good of value out of their keeper then they should get better at fball. Pretty simple.

So pretty much this was just the first year the commish has done keeper, so it's a bit wonky. The commish also drafted Deangelo Williams in rnd 3 so...First time for me too so I had no idea what it was supposed to look like, hence this thread.