Sign in to follow this  
handbanana

Desean Jackson - my gut tells me this is the year to own him

Last year he was coming off an injury and hever really got going, although he had a few big games. This year he appears to be healthy, has an entire off-season with Cousins, and has been abusing Norman in practices. Crowder will be the possession guy but Garcon is past his prime and with the running game an after-thought in Gruden's offense, I can see D Jax having a monster year if he stays healthy. At his current ADP I believe he is a steal (along with M Jones, A Hurns and T Lockett).

If you go RB heavy, mix in a top QB and maybe a top TE, you could do worse than D Jax and M Jones imo. Call it the Zero-WR theory.

Yes, he can be a bit inconsistent, but he can also win you games by himself. He still has that tantalizing game-breaking speed and I think he is being under-valued in drafts this year, especially with guys like Sanders, Moncrief, Tate, Benjamin all going before him who all have warts of their own.

Thoughts?

Owned him I think the last year he was in Philly and was happy most weeks. I saw him available still in the 6th round but just couldn't hit the choose button.

Never been a fan, he's too hit or miss. Also it messes up my plan to get Fleener or Barnage round 6 or 7. Probably would pick jones over him anyways. I pass.

My gut tell me he's going to score you two in you're starting lineup and score 20 when he's one your bench. If I draft him I'm either always playing him or only playing him when I think I need a big game to win.

He worked out in the off-season. He is healthy. By all accounts he is having a great training camp/pre-season. Says he loves working with Cousins. 60-1100-5 is conservative. And that puts him at a 2/3. High end is around 80-1300-9.

For some reason I'm targeting Garcon late.

For some reason I'm targeting Garcon late.

One of my fav deep sleepers, even though he already broke out the other year. Still has 1000yd potential and Doctson cant stay healthy right now. Reliable target for Cousins, could return ppr dividends at his non existent pricetag. Also last year of his deal and needs to show well to maximize a potential last contract for his career either in wash or elsewhere.

One of my fav deep sleepers, even though he already broke out the other year. Still has 1000yd potential and Doctson cant stay healthy right now. Reliable target for Cousins, could return ppr dividends at his non existent pricetag. Also last year of his deal and needs to show well to maximize a potential last contract for his career either in wash or elsewhere.

Why was he so mediocre last year? When Cousins was struggling he couldn't keep Garcon involved to save his life. Screw Cousins. Dude is so overrated. Avoid Garcon because of his QB.

Why was he so mediocre last year? When Cousins was struggling he couldn't keep Garcon involved to save his life. Screw Cousins. Dude is so overrated. Avoid Garcon because of his QB.

Guys have good years, guys have bad years. Thats why you can get them at rock bottom prices. If he stinks, you cut him, no biggie.

No way. Aint happening. I wouldn't want him as a WR4.

As a WR4 I'd be all over that action if I could get him for that price.

As a WR4 I'd be all over that action if I could get him for that price.

528 yards and 4 TD last year. No thanks!

528 yards and 4 TD last year. No thanks!

If this is your only reason for not drafting him, you're just being short sighted and stubborn. Guys have down years all the time due to injury or team situations and bounce back the next season. DJax has been a successful fantasy WR for a long time. Nobody is drafting him as a WR1 but he's more than capable of bouncing back to top 20.

In a 14 team league, I took him in round 6, pick 79 as my WR4 and was surprised to get someone with his potential there.

If this is your only reason for not drafting him, you're just being short sighted and stubborn. Guys have down years all the time due to injury or team situations and bounce back the next season. DJax has been a successful fantasy WR for a long time. Nobody is drafting him as a WR1 but he's more than capable of bouncing back to top 20.

In a 14 team league, I took him in round 6, pick 79 as my WR4 and was surprised to get someone with his potential there.

Not really. He has always been extremely inconsistent. Cousins does not have a very good arm, so Jackson's game isn't a very good compliment. I thought Garcon would be a great fit but that was wrong also.

Not really. He has always been extremely inconsistent. Cousins does not have a very good arm, so Jackson's game isn't a very good compliment. I thought Garcon would be a great fit but that was wrong also.

I'm not arguing DJax is going to challenge the top 5 WR ranks but where he's being drafted now as a WR3, and lower in many drafts, he represents a pretty good gamble compared to the guys around him. Cousins doesn't have a Jeff George arm but he seemed to markedly improve when DJax came back last season. Maybe it was weaker competition, but Cousins was doing damage the last 1/3 of the season when DJax was back. Doing some rough math, DJax last year stretched to 16 weeks was around 1100/8. Add health and a full off season with Cousins and I don't see why there's not a good chance that he can improve on that.

Besides, you're not drafting DJax for consistent 8-10 points every week. You should know going in that his week-to-week scores will have high variance. Drafting him is a gamble that he'll have more than a couple monster weeks. I'm willing to take that on from a WR3.

I guess. I can't pick when guys like him pop. He goes off on the bench one week and then puts up a few points the next. I just know he won't be consistent. When drafting a wr3 I look for a guy who I think I could possibly be consistent week to week. If I already know a guy can't do it then I usually pass.

You can basically never figure out which weeks are the right weeks to start him. He's tough to own unless you get him late and use him as a bye week/injury fill-in. You only get his points when he's in your lineup and he's almost never an every week start type.

I'll take a look tho. I'll check game logs during that last good philly season. I could use a mid to late round zag or two heading into next week. I have a draft Monday and another Friday.

If he's healthy, 60 catches for 1,150 yards and 5-7 TDs is a typical DJax year. If he gets dinged up or decides he doesn't care again, you get 40-50 catches for 700-900 yards and 2-4 TDs. DJax has never been a hard worker or a good route runner - he is and will always be a one trick pony.

• Like 1

If he's healthy, 60 catches for 1,150 yards and 5-7 TDs is a typical DJax year. If he gets dinged up or decides he doesn't care again, you get 40-50 catches for 700-900 yards and 2-4 TDs. DJax has never been a hard worker or a good route runner - he is and will always be a one trick pony.

Fly route, if he gets jammed give up on the play. If not, he can score on a long bomb. Though, again we're relying on Cousins to get him the ball. lol I won't be drafting him. I'll find another option that might not have his ceiling, but will have a higher floor.

probably fair.

but he is in a contract year. So he will care. And he will bring his A game.

The key to players like this is to get them at a good value. If you draft him as a WR2 you may be disappointed. If he falls into Low end WR3 or high end WR4 territory You should buy. (especially if he is fully in WR4 territory)

I think too much is made of his inconsistency. That's already built into his WR3 ranking. Dropping him further is just passing on value for no valid reason.

Like Ray_T said, if you can get a guy that can get you 1100/8 or more as a low WR3 or 4, I'll take that gamble all day long.

• Like 1

I agree also with Ray , and I like him as a wr4.

Contract year for DJax

Yep, he is the type of guy that's highly motivated by money.

... and has been abusing Norman in practices...

Can I get a citation on this ? :)

(i don't remember seeing the Norman tidbit in any of the Roto blurbs)

I saw a few articles that said he was a challenge for Norman to cover. Contract year guys have two incentives and we've only discussed the first: 1 show well 2 preserve health for next contract. He is a wr3 who can have big games yet injury prone

just drafted him as my wr4, and am happy about it. Antonio Brown, Cooks, Macklin, Desean and Ginn are my WR's.

cant argue with that.

D Jackson is a sold number four Wr .

I like the fact that he looked good in their last preseason game it will help others to over value him

I'd rather another owner deal with him. Too inconsistent with all things considered. someone pointed out above that he will probably be something like 3-4 nice weeks and 10+ really low showing weeks. Avg fantasy points per game at the end of the year may look OK but he will be a dud most weeks, even in a contract year.