Sign in to follow this  
throttlers

Strategy for different types of leagues

I'm not looking for specific advice on my teams, but general philosophy on these type of drafts. Do you approach the drafts differently?

Larger leagues (14-16 teams)

I have a couple of these this year, and I've mainly done 12 teams before now. Do you treat the larger leagues any differently when there are more picks between rounds? I'm especially interested in early round strategies. I'd think it's pretty much best player available after the first few rounds.

Keeper Leagues

All the keeper leagues I've done have been dynasty leagues. What are your strategies for leagues where you keep 1-3 players. How much do you move up younger guys like Elliott or Johnson. Would you take them over an often banged up guy like Julio in these leagues?

IDP Flex

I've played in full IDP, but this is my first year with a couple of IDP flex leagues. Do you treat this like a redraft and grab your IDPs at the end or do you target top IDP players early?

I'm not looking for specific advice on my teams, but general philosophy on these type of drafts. Do you approach the drafts differently?

Larger leagues (14-16 teams)

I have a couple of these this year, and I've mainly done 12 teams before now. Do you treat the larger leagues any differently when there are more picks between rounds? I'm especially interested in early round strategies. I'd think it's pretty much best player available after the first few rounds.

Keeper Leagues

All the keeper leagues I've done have been dynasty leagues. What are your strategies for leagues where you keep 1-3 players. How much do you move up younger guys like Elliott or Johnson. Would you take them over an often banged up guy like Julio in these leagues?

IDP Flex

I've played in full IDP, but this is my first year with a couple of IDP flex leagues. Do you treat this like a redraft and grab your IDPs at the end or do you target top IDP players early?

In my keeper league we can keep a guy twice. Who you aim to keep completely depends on what draft pick is sacrificed. In my league we lose the draft pick in the round our keeper was drafted the year previous, err that's how it was when it was snake. This allows more strategy and to take advantage of less researching owners. Some leagues don't require any sacrifice of pick, making all keepers equal no matter when they were taken. This strategy requires less effort and seems to attract owners that are always complaining about stuff not being fair. So yeah it's easier for those that aren't as good at ffball.

DJohns and Elliot do not have extra keeper power beyond you thinking they are going to be good for years to come. Their value is already so high that it really can't get much higher.

In leagues where we lose draft picks depending on the round a player was kept, or we lose Auction $, it's best to find the middle to late round guys who are cheaper, thus giving more value than just keeping a stud with an already extreme price.

My keeper league happens to be my only IDP league. In this league IDP does not score enough to make them worth a high pick unless you are getting jj watt, and even then his health is a real issue. Sacks are king in that league so if you can identify a consistent sack artist, that can also rack up tackles, you have a chance at big points each week.

After the sack artist there is nothing more annoying than IDP who are wildly inconsistent. Guys who are tackle machines are the top IDPs for leagues who typically give 1 point per tackle. In our league we can start 3 IDP from any position, so the vast majority of owners fill their slots with LBs. A nice substitute would be a guy like Reshad Jones who was on my championship roster. A safety who is a top tackle guy for Miami while also being able to get a good amount of picks during the year, plus a chance for a TD.

Top corner backs are usually poor IDPs. Even Aaron Rodgers stays away from them. So with a good safety like Jones, it's harder for the qb to identify where he is at on the field, making it more likely the qb throws in his direction. If you have a DB on your roster, you want it to be someone who does get thrown at.

Larger leagues obviously have the potential for you to maybe have to settle in a couple positions like TE and DEF if you are leaving them late and a run starts right after your previous pick - and you have a long wait. But it balances out with maybe a better bench level WR/RB. So if you REALLY like that 10th ranked TE, grab them as that tier of TEs start to go. It can kind of happen with QBs too if you're not careful, but they are deep enough this season for you not to panic.Just know who you want at each tier if you miss out early.

In some years its advantageous to get an early pick in 12-16 team leagues, but the WR and QB depth at the moment means everyone should be ok. After the first couple of rounds, I like to ensure I have reasonable balance and getting 'my guys' at value.

One upside of big leagues is there's more room for some headline drafters, those guys who overpay for some pre season stud. All good for you.