My 12 team league starts

1 QB

2 RB

2 WR

1 TE

1 Flex (RB, WR or TE)

1 K

1 DEF

My question revolves around the fact that our bench is limited to seven players but is virtually unrestricted by position.

I can have a max of 3 Kickers, 3 TE's and 3 Def's. A max of 4 QB's and a max of 8 WR's and 8 RB's.

I am trying to decide how to set my Quantity of backups at each position, along with the baseline adjustment factor to give me the best valued players. It's feasible for me to draft 5 or 6 RB's and/or WR's and have no back up QB or TE (I will not have a back up K or DEF), and rely on waiver wires for bye weeks. However if the next best value player is a TE and my settings aren't right the TE doesn't show on my rankings. What settings should I choose to give the best value considering I have no idea how many of each position will be drafted. Heck last year there were 2 teams that drafted 2 RB's and 3 teams that drafted 6 or more.

I will likely end up with

2 QB

4-6 RB

4-6 WR

1-2 TE maybe 3 with the depth this year

1 K

1 DEF

A couple years ago I had 6 RB's and 6 WR's and just used waiver wires to fill in bye weeks for other positions. But if I plug "2" into starters and "4" into back ups, it calculates 72 RB and WR being drafted and drastically changes their value, skewing my results dramatically making the top 50 picks RB's with some WR's scattered in.

What do you recommend? (My draft is Sunday)

Thanks for your help...

Chris

Hi Chris. Even though you can go hog wild on any one position, like all RB and WR bench, I don't think that is wise. Sure waiver wire options appear, but best to grab a backup QB, even a backup TE (if the bench is deep enough) to take a second chance at a breakout candidate and good injury replacement at those positions. All-in-all, in Buddy you want to put in what a reasonable roster structure would be... what most teams would draft, not what teams at extreme ends of the spectrum would draft. As you can see, it does impact the overall rankings to a degree.

At 7 backups with your setup I would do the following bench spots:

QB = 1

RB = 2.5

WR = 2.5

TE = 1

K = 0

DEF = 0

Doesn't mean you are locked in to drafting this way (not that you could draft half a RB anyway ;) ), but I think this will properly value the positions relative to one another for your league. I do not usually change the baseline adjust factors either.

Good luck Sunday!