Sign in to follow this  
dschddny

Rishard Matthews or TSharpe

I would guess Rishard. He is more experienced and probably suits the system more than Sharpe.

It's close, but I'd take the risk the other way. Rishard wasn't all that special last year--two games over 100 yds, most of his good work at the beginning of the season. He may do better this year, shouldn't do worse. But Sharpe has a higher ceiling.

It's close, but I'd take the risk the other way. Rishard wasn't all that special last year--two games over 100 yds, most of his good work at the beginning of the season. He may do better this year, shouldn't do worse. But Sharpe has a higher ceiling.

Yeah but it's also hard to he special when the qb is Tannehill. Landry doesn't put up special stats

Yeah but it's also hard to he special when the qb is Tannehill. Landry doesn't put up special stats

Fair point. OTOH, if we were asking whether it would be Sharpe or Landry as Tenn's best WR, I'd go Landry. Parker in Mia isn't as good as believed/and has been injured, and Rishard couldn't distance himself all that much from him. If he does more than Sharpe by year's end I won't be stunned into silence, but I'd rather have (and do have) Sharpe. Walker being another target also hurts Rishard in a way that Jordan Cameron couldn't. Rishard is a slower, possession guy, so he's more likely to get balls taken away by a talented TE than Sharpe.

Win or lose, I always go with upside.

The pick is Tajae

Win or lose, I always go with upside.

The pick is Tajae

I guess I just don't get why Sharpe is automatically the upside. I go upside also and I choose the guy who had looked very good at times with legit NFL Success. Especially with a qb like Tannehill. While Landry looked like the possession receiver, Matthews looked like the play maker in certain games.

I also think Matthews lack of consistency, and lack of success before last year was pretty squarely on the coaches. Even when he had established himself as a trustworthy option he would still be pulled on the goal line for Greg Jennings. Just piss poor coaching right there.

I guess I just don't get why Sharpe is automatically the upside. I go upside also and I choose the guy who had looked very good at times with legit NFL Success. Especially with a qb like Tannehill. While Landry looked like the possession receiver, Matthews looked like the play maker in certain games.

6-68 against the Panthers in a half, as well as the news that Mariota trusts him, I think is when his hype train got off the ground. QB trust is big, and it was enough in August for Mariota to target him that many times in a half against a good D. Mularkey hasn't just said "he's doing good", he said that Sharpe has been "playing like he's been in the league for a while", i.e. not making certain rookie mistakes. A lot of generic coach speak is automatic crap, but specific compliments like that often carry weight. He went 9-163 preseason, while Rishard went 5-63. And that's in a starting position, not garbage time against the 3s and 4s.

I also think Matthews lack of consistency, and lack of success before last year was pretty squarely on the coaches. Even when he had established himself as a trustworthy option he would still be pulled on the goal line for Greg Jennings. Just piss poor coaching right there.

I'll give you this, absolutely. Loved Greg Jennings early with the Pack, but he hasn't had it in a long time.

Here's more, from his WR coach: “I would put him in the category of a natural football player who understands the game,” Titans wide receivers coach Bob Bratkowski said. “He operates at a level of a third-year professional. He’s got it figured out. He knows what it takes to be a pro, which is rare for a rookie.”

McCourty compares him to Reggie Wayne, in terms of not having the best measurables and that meaning he had to learn to play smart too.

He also reportedly spends a lot of time talking to coaches after practice is over, asking questions, taking notes, etc. And not that he's at this level, but it was preparation and thinking that made Jerry Rice the best at what he did. He wasn't the fastest or biggest either.

By contrast, noise was made last year about Rishard 'having to work on his maturity', and being in conflict with coaches. Points that the kid recognized it himself, however. TO never recognized his own lack of maturity. But Sharpe apparently doesn't have that problem. You just can't find a lot when you google "Rishard Matthews praise" (I just tried, when I realized I'd never heard much of any). He's not standing out to coaches and teammates the way Sharpe is.

Sharpe would be my pick of the two .

But neither is worth more to me than a Wr 4 at best.

Dont like the Titans passing game.

In the preseason dress rehearsal game, not only did Sharpe see all four of his targets before Matthews saw his first of two; but Andre Johnson had seen three of his five targets before Matthews was thrown to. As far as I can tell, Sharpe and Johnson were rested in the fourth game while Matthews got an early reception. A bit of a surprise when you consider that the newly arrived Johnson could have stood some more work acclimating himself to the TEN system - even Derrick Henry saw work in the fourth game. Does the rest indicate that the Titans see Johnson as their WR2 ?

While Andre Johnson didn't wow anyone in the time he spent with IND last year, you have to wonder whether his presence will pinch the values of both Sharpe and Matthews.

Not worried about Andre Johnson at all. My concern is Tennessee isn't much of a passing offense. So you'd have to have one guy really standing out and getting an outsized share of targets to have value. I don't see that happening with anyone this year but I could be wrong

Not worried about Andre Johnson at all. My concern is Tennessee isn't much of a passing offense. So you'd have to have one guy really standing out and getting an outsized share of targets to have value. I don't see that happening with anyone this year but I could be wrong

Then again- if that D continues to giveup points like Halloween candy- they can't run all day.

They have been notorious for alllowing points on the opponents opening drive, and trailing from there.

If they are down, they have to throw.

I personally like Sharpe.

Walker is going to get his.

As for Rashard- I think Miami tried to focus on others receivers last year- and he performed pretty damn well when he was on the field.

And, just read Wright has resumed practicing.

while i know beernuts likes mathews (traded for him from me in a dynasty) I think that might be clouding his judgement a little. Mathews is a solid player but i've yet to see anything from him that says he might have "it"... top 20 WR upside.

I can see that with Sharpe. Will it manifest? maybe not but in terms of potential I give a solid edge to Sharpe.

I would have to lean towards Sharpe as well. Rishard was in Miami when they needed a WR to step up and never did. While I think Rishard will have a career year I think Sharpe is the guy that will shine the most out of the Titan WR's. Not real sure how high his ceiling will be in the run first offense, but I think he could get 10+ TDs. He's a big physical WR that could be a good go to with the scrambling Mariotta.

I would guess Rishard. He is more experienced and probably suits the system more than Sharpe.

what makes you think Matthews fits the system in Ten better? Neither WR played in it last year.

while i know beernuts likes mathews (traded for him from me in a dynasty) I think that might be clouding his judgement a little. Mathews is a solid player but i've yet to see anything from him that says he might have "it"... top 20 WR upside.

I can see that with Sharpe. Will it manifest? maybe not but in terms of potential I give a solid edge to Sharpe.

ooooh now this makes sense. lol. The ole of course he is better cuz I own him

• Like 1

Like Diggs last year :) Not a great or high volume offense, but one hard working good attitude guy who the QB likes to throw to. That's value.

I'm not starting the guy, but I drafted him late.

Not to sound like a Sharpe prophet or anything, but this hit Roto today.

Marcus Mariota said rookie WR Tajae Sharpe "makes it easy" on him.

ESPN Titans reporter Paul Kuharsky predictably picked Sharpe as his "fantasy breakout player" for the season. Sharpe didn't miss a single practice in training camp and was often seen staying after to catch extra passes. In the preseason, he reeled in 9-of-12 targets for 163 yards. "He is a very versatile athlete," Mariota continues. "He has done a lot for us already and he gets great separation in and out of his routes. We are going to continue to expect these things out of him." Sharpe is the early favorite to lead the Titans' receivers in targets this season.

I lean this way, too. Matthews has never looked like more than just-a-guy to me, so Sharpe almost wins by default. That said, I have a couple shares of each this year, as I think it's a solid situation for both guys. I expect Mariota to really make a leap this season.

No . I think Benjamin matched up with Rivers is a good combo.

I lean this way, too. Matthews has never looked like more than just-a-guy to me, so Sharpe almost wins by default. That said, I have a couple shares of each this year, as I think it's a solid situation for both guys. I expect Mariota to really make a leap this season.

Mathews is definitely more than "just a guy". Last year was his first year with any actual role. Dolphins homer here. I wasn't expecting him to start over Parker and Stills last year but he did and performed very well. Good hands and deceptive speed. He did have trouble staying healthy last year however, if that is going to be a trend remains to be seen. I'd say Mathews is the safer pick of the 2 but its hard to ignore the glowing blurbs out of camp for Sharpe.

The Titans defense gave up 27 or more points in 10 games last year.

So yeah...people can say the Titans will run the ball a lot. But if that defense remains a weakness, they're gonna have to throw to stay in games.

As a result, Sharpe should be a productive player. Matthews? Nothing special.

The Titans defense gave up 27 or more points in 10 games last year.

So yeah...people can say the Titans will run the ball a lot. But if that defense remains a weakness, they're gonna have to throw to stay in games.

As a result, Sharpe should be a productive player. Matthews? Nothing special.

Just because you expect the titans to throw a lot you conclude that Sharpe will be more productive than Mathews? He can easily be the next DGB or Kenny Britt the kid is an unknown. What I do know is that Mathews was fairly productive last year with an awful QB. Not saying he's special but I do think he commands slightly more respect. To assume Sharpe is gonna come out the gate strong and/or finish the season as their best WR is pretty bold considering he's a 5th round rookie. How many WRs were selected in the draft before Sharpe?

Landry has more receptions than ANY player in nfl history in his first two seasons.

I'd say that's special.

• Like 1

Landry has more receptions than ANY player in nfl history in his first two seasons.

I'd say that's special.

Is anyone in this thread arguing that Landry isn't special?

Is anyone in this thread arguing that Landry isn't special?

I was just trying to clear up the misconception that Frozenbeernuts had when he said "Landry doesn't put up special stats."

Keyword stats. Being that many people play PPR I'd think that knowing who has the most receptions in their first two seasons by anyone ever is useful information. Clearly Landry has put up a special stat with 195 recpetions.

Is pointing out facts now considered arguing by sensitive fellas like you?

I was just trying to clear up the misconception that Frozenbeernuts had when he said "Landry doesn't put up special stats."

Keyword stats. Being that many people play PPR I'd think that knowing who has the most receptions in their first two seasons by anyone ever is useful information. Clearly Landry has put up a special stat with 195 recpetions.

Is pointing out facts now considered arguing by sensitive fellas like you?

Wait I'm sensitive somehow? Because you tried to clear up a misconception that only you see? I think everyone in this thread perhaps except 1 person understands exactly what Frozen meant by Landry doesn't put up special stats for a player that is targeted as heavily as he is.