Sign in to follow this  
TD Ryan2

NFL TV Ratings Down Sharply

Gotta admit, I'm still into my team, but the league, not as much as years earlier. I'm. not watching football right now. The national anthem nonsense hasn't helped. They ruin everything

Fantasy has run its course... it's kids and housewives now.

The ads are a huge deterrent

What's a catch?

Goodell is a smarmy tyrant

CTE and all the rules to protect players.

I thought it was just me. I still love it, but first year since forever I'm not playing fantasy football. I pull and follow my Panthers, and will watch other games but it's more just on in the background.

Replay is ruining all sports. Like said above. Is it a catch ? Wait to celebrate !

Too many black QB's.

the only people who like that are mostly in prison - and they're not allowed to watch sporting events there.

chicago whittles down the ratings for those guys every damn weekend.

But SRSLY folks:

My guess is its the same reason why the Emmy's and other shows are suffering major ratings slips.

People just don't want to sit there for 3-8 hours watching FootBall interspersed with mostly commercials. They want the scores, the headlines and highlights and can get that online or on Monday in about 30 minutes.

Fan burnout.

Long time fantasy player, but I'm finding it harder and harder to keep up with everything.

And 6 games every week isn't helping either.

I agree. Down to one cheap work fantasy league. Only watch about half the Eagles games in real time and maybe catch a quarter or two of another game but that's it. 5 years ago I was watching football from pregame to midnight every Sunday and never missed a SNF or TNF game. I used to plan whole Sundays around the game, not anymore.

Part of it is becoming a dad and part is that my team hasn't been very good. But it's also:

League is totally over saturated with football on too many days, too many fantasy / draft kings ads etc. Just too much.

The product is really bad. Games that have no business being nationally televised are on TNF constantly between bad teams. Too many injuries, penalties, commercial breaks, and too much confusion about the rules. Automatic replay after every score or turnover? Good job guys good effort.

The league is run by a bunch of hypocritical ass holes who can't get out of their own way. They have no idea how to proportionally apply discipline / suspensions. The league claims to want fair play and we have teams playing "home" games in foreign focking countries. The league claims to want to prevent injuries so they do stupid sh1t like move the kickoff line up, but they have no problem asking two teams a week to play a game on 3 days rest.

Goodell is the worst commissioner in all of pro sports and the league makes $ in spite of his bad leadership not because of it. If there comes a point where the NFL starts to seriously sink in viewership I will be sort of happy about it because they have only themselves and their own greed to blame.

My two cents.

• Like 1

NFL network ain't helping either. Hell, yesterday, I had them on in the background so I could get the happenings of 8-9 games at a time. Between them and RedZone, it's pretty hard to watch a 3 hour FG fest.

Did anyone read the article. The only proof they had was to compare this years Bills-Jets game to last years Broncos-Chiefs showdown.

Denver was Superbowl favorites and Chiefs were a very good team that had double digit wins.

Who the hell cares about Bills-Jets except people in NY.

Awful article.

• Like 1

Few good QBs left. Dipsh1t suspended one of them for no focking good reason and the others are dropping like flies.

Product on the field has not been good through 2 weeks

After the game last night, even though I know better, I tuned to the NFL network to cTch some highlights. Heard Dion or Irvin or one of those other butchers of the English language harrumphing and guffawing. I lasted about 4 seconds.

Few good QBs left. Dipsh1t suspended one of them for no focking good reason and the others are dropping like flies.

Product on the field has not been good through 2 weeks

You forgot to login as phurfur.

Did anyone read the article. The only proof they had was to compare this years Bills-Jets game to last years Broncos-Chiefs showdown.

Denver was Superbowl favorites and Chiefs were a very good team that had double digit wins.

Awful article.

This is also true

I'm hard core, it'll take a lot ass clowns, pink clothes & lame Super Bowl "entertainment" to turn me away.

Chronic bad officiating and lack of white guys will be the reasons I cut off the NFL.

Awful article.

The awful article said it was to early to make sweeping conclusions, only that it's a historically slow start to the NFL, from a ratings POV and it might be something to keep an eye on. It's there in the last paragraph.

Did you finish reading the article?

I thought it was just me. I still love it, but first year since forever I'm not playing fantasy football. I pull and follow my Panthers, and will watch other games but it's more just on in the background.

Gave up fantasy a couple seasons ago. Last year I enjoyed watching games more as a result, but this year I'm pretty meh to football in general.

I'd argue that the games are no longer on regular channels but on ESPN. I don't have ESPN and I'm not buying an expensive cable package just so I can watch a few football games.

NFcommerciaL

My interest in football has damn near died in recent years. That is partially due to both my teams blowing (titans and Vols) but there are other issues.

The games are damn near unwatchable with the constant advertisements and the sh!t officiating. The commentary shows are focking terrible. It's basically a bunch of concussed illiterates babbling at each other.

I used to follow the League as a whole. College too. Now I wish I could watch my teams, but not bad enough to pay to do so.

The beginning of the end?

Maybe Goodell will be fired after all...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/09/17/early-season-ratings-decline-continues-for-nfl/

Too early to tell, but one of the things I've been saying since puppet Goodell and the new leaders in ownership took over is that they are over saturating the market. With the NFL wanting Sunday, Sunday night, Monday, Thursday, and ESPN, and others putting on every half ass college game, it's too much football.

The league is run by a bunch of hypocritical ass holes who can't get out of their own way. They have no idea how to proportionally apply discipline / suspensions. The league claims to want fair play and we have teams playing "home" games in foreign focking countries. The league claims to want to prevent injuries so they do stupid sh1t like move the kickoff line up, but they have no problem asking two teams a week to play a game on 3 days rest.

Goodell is the worst commissioner in all of pro sports and the league makes $ in spite of his bad leadership not because of it. If there comes a point where the NFL starts to seriously sink in viewership I will be sort of happy about it because they have only themselves and their own greed to blame.

I would say the league is run by owners who look at football as a profit/business first and foremast, rather than 35 years ago as a hobby of rich people. That was inevitable, I think, but the reason Goodell is the worst commish is because he's a puppet to the this new ownership model...rather than being the guy who's job it is to make sure that first and foremost that the game is the best it can be...he's first and foremost a PR guy who's trying to hoover up every penny for billionaires. The commissioner's offices were created to steward the "game" and in football more than anything they have completely lost sight of that.

• Like 1

I'd argue that the games are no longer on regular channels but on ESPN. I don't have ESPN and I'm not buying an expensive cable package just so I can watch a few football games.

I think the only game on espn is mnf...I don'thave cable, ordered sling tv through my roku for espn...20 bucks a month and you can cancel any time, plus they have about 20 other channels you get with that package. I'll most likely cancel after the season

• Like 1

My interest in football has damn near died in recent years. That is partially due to both my teams blowing (titans and Vols) but there are other issues.

The games are damn near unwatchable with the constant advertisements and the sh!t officiating. The commentary shows are focking terrible. It's basically a bunch of concussed illiterates babbling at each other.

I used to follow the League as a whole. College too. Now I wish I could watch my teams, but not bad enough to pay to do so.

Chang mi ho Chung Ching fu ma dong Ching :mad:

Only one game a week is on ESPN.

• Like 1

There are some other articles out there (Forbes) pointing out the dropoff in ratings so far for the NFL.

Yes, it's early and Yes, the NFL is still dominant against other programming - but for their standards, they've slipped in the first two weeks.

There's not enough data to point to a trend yet - but percentage-wise, some of these dropoffs are significant.

I think we've all been saying / expecting this for a while - how can the NFL remain as popular as it has been?

There are very few fans that "like" the NFL corporation, Goodell, and in some cases the owners themselves. They are viewed as a powerful, greedy, and somewhat corrupt group.

It will be interesting to see what happens... more than ever, sales and revenue are tied to connection, trust, cooperation, collaboration, quality, reputation... if the Great NFL slips because they fail to create connection, trust, cooperation with their fans, it's a huge warning to all corporations out there that nobody can ignore - fail to create an honest, trustworthy, quality product and you will not succeed.

Rack this up to another WIN for the radical left that wants to destroy the NFL as we know it. Rush Limbaugh has been talking about it for years.

Rush Limbaugh has been talking about it for years.

where neanderthals tune in to be told what to think

There are some other articles out there (Forbes) pointing out the dropoff in ratings so far for the NFL.

Yes, it's early and Yes, the NFL is still dominant against other programming - but for their standards, they've slipped in the first two weeks.

There's not enough data to point to a trend yet - but percentage-wise, some of these dropoffs are significant.

I think we've all been saying / expecting this for a while - how can the NFL remain as popular as it has been?

There are very few fans that "like" the NFL corporation, Goodell, and in some cases the owners themselves. They are viewed as a powerful, greedy, and somewhat corrupt group.

It will be interesting to see what happens... more than ever, sales and revenue are tied to connection, trust, cooperation, collaboration, quality, reputation... if the Great NFL slips because they fail to create connection, trust, cooperation with their fans, it's a huge warning to all corporations out there that nobody can ignore - fail to create an honest, trustworthy, quality product and you will not succeed.

The "trust" issue is what got me to start looking at the NFL with a more critical eye. And not to reopen the Spygate can of worms, but just the way NFL and particularily Goodell handled that, sending a couple of guys to NE, having them tell him what they saw and then just destroying the tapes...yeah okay, I'm convinced Roger, nothing bad was on the tapes cause you said so. Regardelss of what NE did, what story you believe that looked awful and like a cover up.

And nothing since then has really convinced me that my initial open was wrong, Bountygate investigation, deflategate, Ray Rice, and the entire concussion you just see the NFL/Roger/Ownership caught in lie after lie.

My wife and kids watch football because I watch it. The NFL can't see that? If I don't watch, they don't watch.

where neanderthals tune in to be told what to think

sure they do :P

I personally watch, read and listen to a wide variety of sources and compare it all to what's predicted compared to the outcome, then value accordingly.

Rack this up to another WIN for the radical left that wants to destroy the NFL as we know it. Rush Limbaugh has been talking about it for years.

You will find any way possible to add an ignorant political rant to any topic...won't you?

Are ratings for anything/everything else dropping due to other viewing options not caught in traditional ratings?

Week 1 was a great week of football. Good and close games and so on. Scoring was pretty solid too.

Week 2...from what I saw was a lot of bad games. Penalties galore and just blah football. In addition with many guys now getting hurt.

I think all the people cutting the cable is a big factor. This year has been huge as far as the amount of people doing that. NFL needs to get it figured out soon.