Sign in to follow this  
TD Ryan2

NFL TV Ratings Down Sharply

You will find any way possible to add an ignorant political rant to any topic...won't you?

no

Shotsup: Do you use Kodi? How do you use it for sports?

Too early to tell, but one of the things I've been saying since puppet Goodell and the new leaders in ownership took over is that they are over saturating the market. With the NFL wanting Sunday, Sunday night, Monday, Thursday, and ESPN, and others putting on every half ass college game, it's too much football.

I would say the league is run by owners who look at football as a profit/business first and foremast, rather than 35 years ago as a hobby of rich people. That was inevitable, I think, but the reason Goodell is the worst commish is because he's a puppet to the this new ownership model...rather than being the guy who's job it is to make sure that first and foremost that the game is the best it can be...he's first and foremost a PR guy who's trying to hoover up every penny for billionaires. The commissioner's offices were created to steward the "game" and in football more than anything they have completely lost sight of that.

I totally agree, but some of this could be easily fixed. There is no reason why the NFL can't hire an independent third party to deal with disciplinary issues instead of leaving it in the hands of Goodell. The league clearly has no idea how to do this the right way.

They can stop tinkering with the rules. It doesn't seem to have made the game any safer or more exciting but it sure has confused the fock out of the fans. It's also done to NFL passing stats in particular what the steroid era did to baseball #s and rendered most stats meaningless.

The big issue for me though is just over saturation. Sunday used to feel like an "event" day. Now with two games on MNF many weeks, Thursday night football all year and Saturday half the season, not to mention 3 Thanksgiving games, the product is diluted and frankly we're seeing a lot of bad games that should not be televised.

The thing about games in London etc also pisses me off to no end.

how do you get better if you don't practice?

The Seattle Seahawks are being disciplined for violating the collectively bargained rules about physical contact in offseason practices. USA TODAY Sports

For the second time in three years, the Seattle Seahawks are being harshly disciplined for violating the collectively bargained rules about physical contact in offseason practices.

The NFL announced Monday the Seahawks will be fined $400,000 and forfeit their first week of organized team activities (three practices) next year, as well as a fifth-round pick in the 2017 draft because theyre repeat offenders. Coach Pete Carroll also was fined $200,000.

The game sucks and it has become a game of whimps.

And nothing since then has really convinced me that my initial opinion was wrong, Bountygate investigation, deflategate, Ray Rice, and the entire concussion you just see the NFL/Roger/Ownership caught in lie after lie.

agreed.

The NFL has painted themselves as a powerful, unaccountable, untrustworthy organization.

And here's the thing... whether it's true or not... whether tney really are corrupt or not doesn't even matter... it's the REPUTATION they've created for themselves.

In today's age of social media and connection, it's hard to change your reputation... impossible if that reputation is deserved.

Are ratings for anything/everything else dropping due to other viewing options not caught in traditional ratings?

that's an excellent question.

World Cup of Hockey is slaying... such an awesome tournament wish the round robins were longer. US and North America are prob both out.

The thing about games in London etc also pisses me off to no end.

Love the london games wish there was one every week so I can have it on in the background sun morning after being up with the kids already for 4-5 hours...

Love the london games wish there was one every week so I can have it on in the background sun morning after being up with the kids already for 4-5 hours...

I cannot wait til some team barely misses the playoffs because they lost a close "home game" overseas just to help the NFL in it's plan of expanding football to Europe in 2040.

That will be awesome.

I haven't had cable since January.

$14 dollar antenna works the balls.

$40 for internet, 10 for netflix and amazon prime. and a site I use to watch live sports for free (not in HD) sorry I can't say I don't want it to be taken down

So the "radical left" had what to do with this?

well just one little example....

Colon Zipperneck

Is he radical?

Is he a leftist?

Has his actions hurt the NFL?

Yes to ALL of the above!

The video below isn't the one I'm looking for, but it touches on a few points about the left destroying the NFL as we know it. The one I'm referring to is about the lft destroying Americanism, Patriotism & all that is right with the greatest game on Earth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU5SWAnsbY4

well just one little example....

Colon Zipperneck

Is he radical?

Is he a leftist?

Has his actions hurt the NFL?

Yes to ALL of the above!

The video below isn't the one I'm looking for, but it touches on a few points about the left destroying the NFL as we know it. The one I'm referring to is about the lft destroying Americanism, Patriotism & all that is right with the greatest game on Earth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU5SWAnsbY4

Yeah...you really need some mental help.

Yeah...you really need some mental help.

good one Professor

After the game last night, even though I know better, I tuned to the NFL network to cTch some highlights. Heard Dion or Irvin or one of those other butchers of the English language harrumphing and guffawing. I lasted about 4 seconds.

Ever watch Rich Eisen and Mooch when these two dipshits are going at it?

It's like Romper room. They both want to just pull their hair out.

good one Professor

I don't agree with Kaep's form of protest...but calling that radical is laughable.

And if you think it is leading to anything more than a few idiots claiming they won't watch the NFL...you are fooling yourself.

Also...when you align yourself with an idiot like Rush...you definitely need to seek professional help.

I think all the people cutting the cable is a big factor. This year has been huge as far as the amount of people doing that. NFL needs to get it figured out soon.

Cable will be gone all but gone in 4-5 years, how can they fix the inevitable?

Who was the guy who piped up with some sideline commentary during the game last night?

Did he have a heavy accent I couldn't understand or was his mic malfunctioning?

Or, was he a retard? Seriously, wtf ESPN?

I think all the people cutting the cable is a big factor. This year has been huge as far as the amount of people doing that. NFL needs to get it figured out soon.

Sling TV includes NFL network. Just sayin

Btw, fantasy football makes me watch football, not, NOT watch football.

I don't agree with Kaep's form of protest...but calling that radical is laughable.

And if you think it is leading to anything more than a few idiots claiming they won't watch the NFL...you are fooling yourself.

Also...when you align yourself with an idiot like Rush...you definitely need to seek professional help.

:doh: You're a Star Student of the leftist mainstream media, now please accept this Trophy :first:

Did anyone read the article. The only proof they had was to compare this years Bills-Jets game to last years Broncos-Chiefs showdown.

Denver was Superbowl favorites and Chiefs were a very good team that had double digit wins.

Who the hell cares about Bills-Jets except people in NY.

Awful article.

Did you read the WHOLE article:

In Week One, the ratings for Monday night’s games declined in comparison to 2015, as did the ratings for the opening night of the season and the first Sunday night game of the year.

Fantasy football became saturated about 5 years ago, now it's slowly but surely waning. The large majority of people on this board won't agree, but I honestly think the NBA has been more entertaining as of late. Everyone says they want parody....until they get it. Super teams are always good for their respective sports. Always.

Everyone says they want parody....until they get it. Super teams are always good for their respective sports. Always.

When my Dolphins finally win a SuperBowl, I don't want them to be the 20th different team in 20 years to win it. That cheapens the value of it. Dynasties definitely make sports more interesting.

Cable will be gone all but gone in 4-5 years, how can they fix the inevitable?

Switch over to an a la carte internet type system. Kinda like HBO and others are doing now

I mean if Sunday ticket was available to purchase from your Roku or whatever who WOULDN'T do that?

Fantasy football became saturated about 5 years ago, now it's slowly but surely waning. The large majority of people on this board won't agree, but I honestly think the NBA has been more entertaining as of late. Everyone says they want parody....until they get it. Super teams are always good for their respective sports. Always.

No. NBA sucks.

They'll all suck when the NFL's fall from grace is complete :(

:doh: You're a Star Student of the leftist mainstream media, now please accept this Trophy :first:

Quality retort there.

About what I would expect from someone like you.

I haven't had cable since January.

$14 dollar antenna works the balls.

$40 for internet, 10 for netflix and amazon prime. and a site I use to watch live sports for free (not in HD) sorry I can't say I don't want it to be taken down

For a long time I was paying $120/mo for Dish. I realize now that I don't even have cable what a huge waste that was. The only thing I watched live was sports. It was nice having HBO and whatnot and DVRing shows in HQ, but all those shows I could get on the internets one way or another.

VERY soon, as has been said, there will be apps to watch live sports on any network. Watch ESPN is quite nice. I am sure there is something being worked out where you can watch any broadcasted sporting event on a Netflix-type app. Then there really will be no reason to have cable. It's a brave new world out there.

Miscellaney:

1. Limblob talking about the lefties killing the NFL. Geesus, his stint on MNF almost brought down the entire franchise.Guys a focking idiot.

2. Agree with oversaturation, but adding:

a) Like I said, Redzone and NFL channel showing real time highlights of every game. Better for fantasy and for our collective short attention spans.

B) If you haven't seen this, find it. NiFL network not only replays FULL games, they also do a cut version that shows 90% of the game in a one hour span. only 3-4 commercial breaks. Basically edits out the BS non-plays, referee multi-conferences, penalty explanations, watching 11 guys scratch their ass in the huddle, etc.

The London thing really pisses me off - for an entirely different reason - and shows exactly how elitist and disconnected the league and owners are.

I grew with a family that worked for Aramark or whatever for every single game as soon as they were old enough to do so. And before they were old enough to do so, they'd do whatever the hell they could on game day. Parking, recycling cans from tailgaters, shoveling snow out of the stands, etc.

Did they do this to fund their annual trip to Disneyland? Hell no, it's how they could pay for the heat during the winter. It's how they put food on the table and shoes on their kids feet.

The league bent over backwards to assure that the owners would not get shorted on attendance related profits when/if they went to London or elsewhere.

You know who they didn't even THINK of? All the people like the family above. The beer hawkers, the parking guys, the ushers, janitors, etc.

All of these guys are on ADP or some other payroll system. The owner could easily get a list of workers who had worked the games prior to the London (or wherever) trip. Hell, throw a focking token out there - $100 bucks for each of these folks.

But the owners never think of that. The league couldn't give a shiit. But hey, let's do our damndest to sell Jerseys to some jackhole from Newcastle who''ll never give 2 shiits about the NFL again.

I think he's confusing Limbaugh on the Sunday countdown show and Dennis Miller on MNF.

both were BRILLIANT hires. BTW :wacko:

I think he's confusing Limbaugh on the Sunday countdown show and Dennis Miller on MNF.

He's confused most days

Limbaugh was never on Monday night football.

:P

Another factor to the inevitable downfall of american football is the fact that people overseas really just aren't into it. Baseball has always been big in Latin countries, basketball is taking off all over the globe, hockey will always be popular in cold countries. Every person I've interacted with who was born and raised in another country(besides Canada, which doesn't count) just doesn't get why football is so popular. A few of these people are as big into sports as any American raised boy, but the one American sport they tend to gravitate to is basketball. Football is just a weird, off-looking game of rugby with pads and helmets to them.