Sign in to follow this  
cousinal111

As Commish, What Should I Do?

17th year of a keeper league and one of our Owners has shown zero interest in recent years, even missing the last 2 Drafts.

Last week he played Gates at Tight End who was pretty much ruled out Friday. On his bench were Richard Rodgers & Zack Miller who both had 8 or more points. He lost his game by 6 points. The leagues final standings have now been jeopardized as playoff seedings most likely will be affected. This isn't the first time this has happened with this particular Owner.

I've kicked out Owners in the past for this but as I've grown older, this seems a little extreme. I thought of taking away a Draft Pick for next year's Draft.

Anyone have any experience with this and have any advice?

3...2...1 to the go over to his house and punch him front of his wife, kids, and dog story.

• Like 1

Well don't do something that will handicap his team or he'll just be even worse.

I'd suggest feeling him up, er I mean out, along the lines of "hey are you sure you even want to do this anymore? We could find another owner if you're not into it". Sort of a warning where you give him the out if he's on the fence

• Like 1

If he already paid you do nothing. It's the other owner's team and he can run it how he wants. If you feel the need to truly do something give him a call, text, or email.

Whatever you do, don't put players into his lineup for him. It will be unfair to those that are against the team later.

good Gawd. Playoffs have been jeapordized? A little early don't you think?

Not what I said...

"The leagues final standings have now been jeopardized as playoff seedings most likely will be affected."

The final standings are jeopardized. The team that won is 3-0, our top 2 teams get 1st round bye so it is definitely possible the playoff seedings will be altered.

If he hasn't won a game just bench his whole team, everybody gets a W, and balance within the force shall be restored.

Another reason playoff seedings could be jeopardized, he's 2-1.

I see no reason to mess with it. Things like this happen in every league. If he continues to do it then just don't let the person participate next year.

I'd give him another week.

If he keeps it up, ask him why he didn't make the roster change at TE. Maybe he was on vacation...Maybe he was away for the weekend without internet...Maybe he decided to roll the dice and felt Gates was his best option.

If he's just lazy and not interested in playing, tell him he's out next year.

Just ask him why he didn't make the roster change at TE. Maybe he was on vacation...Maybe he was away for the weekend without internet...Maybe he decided to roll the dice and felt Gates was his best option.

If he's just lazy and not interested in playing, tell him he's out next year.

Probably rout we'll go. Btw, he claimed he was hungover.

If u knew they werent showing interest and they have already missed a draft, u should have warned them that u might need to replace them. Talking to them is probably the best solution for now. If they are going to miss next years draft I would kick him out.

I have a 9 yr old league where one of my buddies was kicked out in year 4 because he always tried to change the draft night. Was unwilling to take a night off of work, when we set in stone the draft date. We let him back in the league last year and this year he scheduled a vacation during the draft day. Seriously the commish brother moved from Minnesota to Texas 2 yrs ago and he flew in for the draft. If he misses next years draft he's out.

Our punishment was to name his team. But so far that hasn't happened.

17th year of a keeper league and one of our Owners has shown zero interest in recent years, even missing the last 2 Drafts.

Last week he played Gates at Tight End who was pretty much ruled out Friday. On his bench were Richard Rodgers & Zack Miller who both had 8 or more points. He lost his game by 6 points. The leagues final standings have now been jeopardized as playoff seedings most likely will be affected. This isn't the first time this has happened with this particular Owner.

I've kicked out Owners in the past for this but as I've grown older, this seems a little extreme. I thought of taking away a Draft Pick for next year's Draft.

Sounds like you're upset he didn't beat an opponent you wanted him to beat. You're not worried about his playoff chances, but upset the team he played got a win. Missed 2 drafts, shows no interest, and now you're upset because he didn't win a game. Let the game stand, let the season play out however it may, and then replace him.

Think of his team as the Cleveland Browns of your league. You think it's fair the Ravens, Steelers and Bengals get to play them twice per year? Of course not. But that's life

Sounds like you're upset he didn't beat an opponent you wanted him to beat. You're not worried about his playoff chances, but upset the team he played got a win. Missed 2 drafts, shows no interest, and now you're upset because he didn't win a game. Let the game stand, let the season play out however it may, and then replace him.

Not at all, I'm already banking on the team that won as a playoff team as they are one of league leaders in points. I am around the same spot that the team that lost is at so if anything it could help my team at seasons end.

As Commish, I don't like outcomes of games being decided by laziness. He's already on his way out due to missing drafts, this is just fuel to the fire. Our Draft is like a Holiday to our Owners and having to Draft for an Owner who is disinterested puts a damper on it for everyone.

Running a league with friends is tough. I have one dude who at some point will stop updating his team for a week or two and then get back into it. Every year I want to kick him out. I honestly can't stand having a league with players that don't update. But he is one of my good HS buddies, so I never kick him out.

But it puts a damper on the league. He beats some really good teams early. Then doesn't update. Then teams that are trying to make the playoffs or overtake you in the division play him when he doesn't update and they get a win.

Kind of sucks. But it is what it is.

I would be upset too and absentee owners compromise leage integrity. It absolutely affects playoff seeding and no one wants guys to get free wins from bum owners. Qucik story. I was co commish and said everyone had to set a lineup. Week 6 a guy has like 4 people on bye and was a dumshiot. I warned him but nothing, so sunday morn I went in and set his lineup just by replacing bye weeks with any stiffs on his bench to ensure integrity for the league. He won that week by 1 point. Flash forward and that guy got his acto together and won the division, over me, by 1 game...After doing the math, I would have won the championship had I just left his roster alone and let him lose.

• Like 1

Probably rout we'll go. Btw, he claimed he was hungover.

Well, if he was hung over that means he parties and is a hard charger with big balls. Leave the guy alone.

Well, if he was hung over that means he parties and is a hard charger with big balls. Leave the guy alone.

You couldn't be more off but thanks for your input. Our league is full of hard drinkers, some now in recovery.

With a long standing league I could see allowing one missed draft but not two. On you for not seeing this coming.

Was hard to find a new Owner when he cancelled days before Draft. But yes it isn't surprising as the writing was on the wall.

Missing two drafts in a row. Not fielding a competitive lineup with two options on the bench. This guy has to get his sht together or has to go at the end of the season.

Its not just on the commish as was suggested above but on the whole league. You all signed up for letting home in this year so ride it out and boot him at the end of the season

3...2...1 to the go over to his house and punch him front of his wife, kids, and dog story.

Making the dog watch seems a little extreme.

Missing two drafts in a row. Not fielding a competitive lineup with two options on the bench. This guy has to get his sht together or has to go at the end of the season.

Its not just on the commish as was suggested above but on the whole league. You all signed up for letting home in this year so ride it out and boot him at the end of the season

This

How much is this league ?

I had a similar issue in our $200, 5-0 then team end down hill, playing guys on bye weeks or out. He's in college, banging his GF as us old Dad focks FF is all we have

He wanted to stay, we teamed him up with a coowner to help keep the team updated, seems to be working, their 3-0.

I would be upset too and absentee owners compromise leage integrity. It absolutely affects playoff seeding and no one wants guys to get free wins from bum owners. Qucik story. I was co commish and said everyone had to set a lineup. Week 6 a guy has like 4 people on bye and was a dumshiot. I warned him but nothing, so sunday morn I went in and set his lineup just by replacing bye weeks with any stiffs on his bench to ensure integrity for the league. He won that week by 1 point. Flash forward and that guy got his acto together and won the division, over me, by 1 game...After doing the math, I would have won the championship had I just left his roster alone and let him lose.

I do this all the time.

I wont make a judgement call between two players, but I will fill empty slots.

Sometimes to my detriment.

Its a pain but the league being competitive kind of comes before punishing someone who may be away or forgetful for a week. Its not like its a high stakes league.

This

How much is this league ?

I had a similar issue in our $200, 5-0 then team end down hill, playing guys on bye weeks or out. He's in college, banging his GF as us old Dad focks FF is all we have

He wanted to stay, we teamed him up with a coowner to help keep the team updated, seems to be working, their 3-0.

It's $200

Was hard to find a new Owner when he cancelled days before Draft. But yes it isn't surprising as the writing was on the wall.

Believe it or not if someone had a 12 year old son and they didn't help the kid during the season , the 12 year old would be best.

Sometimes circumstances dictate how I run my team from week to week. I might start a guy on bye with short benchs in order to pick up the hot waiver pick. Example I only have Coby Fleener at TE. Next week I would have to drop Moncrief to get another TE unless somebody else gets hurt this week. Then again if the right RB gets hurt I might be forced to take a shot at the next RB in line which is option C.

You could always just talk to him about it. Or cry about it on the internet. Whatever floats your boat.

Find a commish with balls and resign.

But, if you're ready to do what is right for your league, tell the guy to actively manage his team for the good of the rest of the league. If he is really disinterested, tell him you have another interested owner who would love his spot.

Sometimes circumstances dictate how I run my team from week to week. I might start a guy on bye with short benchs in order to pick up the hot waiver pick. Example I only have Coby Fleener at TE. Next week I would have to drop Moncrief to get another TE unless somebody else gets hurt this week. Then again if the right RB gets hurt I might be forced to take a shot at the next RB in line which is option C.

Which isn't the case here, right?

Sometimes I bench my whole team, to get them rested up before the playoffs, or a big matchup the following week.

Sometimes I bench my whole team, to get them rested up before the playoffs, or a big matchup the following week.

If I had your team, I'd bench them too. Just to teach them a lesson.

Thanks for all the input guys, I simply texted him a link to this thread.

LOL. Hey, asleep at the wheel owner--please realize that your actions affect other people. And they don't like what you're doing. If you don't want to play, or want to play half-assed while the rest of the league wants to be competitive, just accept it and move on. You find another league, they find another owner, everyone is happy.

OP: this sort of thing was the reason I instituted a Legal Roster rule this year in my keeper league, after reading about similar league rules here. Rule is simple--you must have a starting roster each week of players who are 1) rostered on NFL teams, 2) have not been 'Out' officially for more than one week, and 3) are not on bye weeks. If you start a player on a bye, or a player who has been out for more than one NFL week (as opposed to 7 days...Sun till Thurs counts as one week for some teams, right?), or a player who is not on an NFL team (we had one guy starting Shayne Graham for the first two weeks of this season after he got cut right before week 1), then you will lose the matchup, regardless of scoring. Your team points will be lowered that week to the point that you will lose the matchup by one point, and that's that.

That guy starting Shayne Graham lost those first two weeks anyway. But this rule is in place frankly because of him, a good friend of mine for years, and one other owner who have a habit of disappearing for one or two weeks at a time. Now at least they are guaranteed to lose if that happens. It can still mess with playoff seeding and such, but at least the offending owner can't benefit.

You couldn't be more off but thanks for your input. Our league is full of hard drinkers, some now in recovery.

How did no one comment on this line? What a rebuttle to being hard drinkers. Hysterical..

The one guy said it best. You have to do something before or after the season. Not during. He'll just have to be the BRowns and everyone kick him around and then you decide, as commissioner, how you want to do it moving forward.

You said you mentioned that a lot of you guys are hard drinkers and re covering alcholics, but your penalty was to re name is team???? How is that a punishment. Come up with a harsher punishment for last place or even guys that miss the playoffs. Ours is innocent, but makes you not want to finish last. After the draft each year, the last place team from the previous year has to run across the field twice with just their shorts on while the other 11 members use paintball guns to remind him on his effort the previous year. No one slacks in our league.

The one guy said it best. You have to do something before or after the season. Not during.

With the exception of talking to him. We're people first. Say "Hey, dude...pay attention to your team, the rest of us are thinking about not inviting you back next year. Not because we don't like you, but because you're not paying attention and it's bothering us a lot."

Then see what he says.

To be fair, this exact situation happened in our league, we had a good long term owner who went AWOL as his team went off the rails (he went all denver and started the season 0-6). The commish had to fix his lineup for a couple of weeks.

I've been caught putting in a player who was ruled out when I was on business travel. The commish fixed my lineup for me before game time.

I think as a commish you want to ensure the games are as competitive as possible and teams are obligated to field their best possible lineup. That's subjective, however if a player is clearly out, or on a bye week and the owner is inactive, you should make the change to the lineup. If in doubt, use the best predicted total score if they have multiple options.

I think docking a draft pick is extreme, have you contacted the owner? Maybe they were just really busy that week and didn't notice their lineup. We have a rule that 3 weeks of inactivity in a row and no contact to the commish and your team is locked and under commish control for lineups. To get control back you have to contact the commish and promise to monitor your team properly.