Sign in to follow this  
bob_probert_2000

Worthy Charity?

Oh man, that is GREAT

The biggest contrast in students/trajectories at the HS I work at is: pragmatic, academically motivated students (a lot more pragmatic and future plotting than I remember my peers were in the early 00's when everything was still pretty comfortable. It's good to see but they are so pragmatic - financial security & prosperity oriented, that they seem cold too. I think their parents were impacted by the recession and a sense of financial protectionism in the family got obsessive)...and then kids from families on assistance but not of the mind to rise above it. They don't want to go to school and their parent(s) don't instill anything noble in them. Cycle continues.

There are some who seem to have rose-tinted glasses mixed with unproductive self-absorption, but the above are the two biggest groups.

its funny as I think back to my childhood, and realize that my generation (42) was what started the path. My dad, always tried to get me to change my tires, change the oil, do my own tuneups etc. I told him as soon as I could I would just pay someone else to do it.

I know so much less about things than my father's generation, the one thing I was taught was work ethics. If you want to be able to pay other people to do the simple things you can do yourself, you better work hard so you can afford those things.

somewhere in the next transition of generations, that aspect has been lost, not only can they not doing anything themselves, they expect things they need done to be free

its funny as I think back to my childhood, and realize that my generation (42) was what started the path. My dad, always tried to get me to change my tires, change the oil, do my own tuneups etc. I told him as soon as I could I would just pay someone else to do it.

I know so much less about things than my father's generation, the one thing I was taught was work ethics. If you want to be able to pay other people to do the simple things you can do yourself, you better work hard so you can afford those things.

somewhere in the next transition of generations, that aspect has been lost, not only can they not doing anything themselves, they expect things they need done to be free

I hear ha, but things like changing your own oil don't make sense anymore. I can do it, but getting rid of the oil is the problem. And raking leaves is one of the most boring things I have ever done. I do most of the rest myself

I hear ha, but things like changing your own oil don't make sense anymore. I can do it, but getting rid of the oil is the problem. And raking leaves is one of the most boring things I have ever done. I do most of the rest myself

Today I replaced a "damper" in my fridge. Basically it is a door/gear mechanism between the freezer and fridge which goes into the climate control drawer. It broke a while back and made a loud clicking noise intermittently. I first fixed it by shutting the drawer off. :D Wife didn't like that though because stuff was freezing in the bottom two drawers. I thought about duct taping it shut... but decided I'd fix it for reals.

Took probably a few hours to figure out what to take out and what didn't need to come out (well, I know that now), find hidden screws, and most importantly figure out how to move forward when it seemed like there was no solution. I'm not exactly Tim the Toolman Taylor, but I wonder if much of the millenial crowd could have done that. :dunno:

Today I replaced a "damper" in my fridge. Basically it is a door/gear mechanism between the freezer and fridge which goes into the climate control drawer. It broke a while back and made a loud clicking noise intermittently. I first fixed it by shutting the drawer off. :D Wife didn't like that though because stuff was freezing in the bottom two drawers. I thought about duct taping it shut... but decided I'd fix it for reals.

Took probably a few hours to figure out what to take out and what didn't need to come out (well, I know that now), find hidden screws, and most importantly figure out how to move forward when it seemed like there was no solution. I'm not exactly Tim the Toolman Taylor, but I wonder if much of the millenial crowd could have done that. :dunno:

They would have had their parents buy a new one. But I do have to say that my nephew had never changed a tire before and when he needed to, he youtubed how to do it. Killed my lecture point when he told me that.

They would have had their parents buy a new one. But I do have to say that my nephew had never changed a tire before and when he needed to, he youtubed how to do it. Killed my lecture point when he told me that.

Yeah, youtube makes up for a lot of ills. Couldn't find a video or instruction manual on this part though.

Even as a professional grease monkey, I find myself using youtube and google quite a bit.

Information is the key to life.

yah everything I do now, I try to do myself, I use youtube alot

I just put in 500 sqft of tile and did it all myself using youtube and it turned out great

fixed a riding lawnmower myself the same way, never even did so much as work on anything, my next project is to replace the starter in it, cause I have to bump start it everytime now.

I bring out professionals to get free quotes, and then calculate the cost to buy all the supplies, and the labor on like Tile, building a fence etc is so astronomical

I built a 24 ft long vinyl fence, the quote I got for it was $930

I did it for 375 myself