Sign in to follow this  
TennisMenace

Question: How many WRs do you need?

Assume all the byes are over with, In a league that requires 3 and only 3 WRs, how many WRs do you feel the need to carry? 4? 5? 6?

Assume 10 team league, 15 maximum roster, you can only play 2 RBs, 1 TE, 1 QB, etc.

I would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

TM

It depends on roster size and what the rest of the league has. In general, I don't want to be one or two rolled ankles away from being screwed at ANY position. This is more of an issue at rb but still. It's even more tough cuz it is rare that a high end wr can be 1-to-1 replaced by another guy on his team.

How big are the rosters? How is the free agent list: is it a barren wasteland of Andrew Hawkins or is Cole beasley still sitting around?

It depends on roster size and what the rest of the league has. In general, I don't want to be one or two rolled ankles away from being screwed at ANY position. This is more of an issue at rb but still. It's even more tough cuz it is rare that a high end wr can be 1-to-1 replaced by another guy on his team.

How big are the rosters? How is the free agent list: is it a barren wasteland of Andrew Hawkins or is Cole beasley still sitting around?

I edited my original to add more details, but assume 15 player roster, 10 team league. Both are pretty standard.

Here is my thinking: like you said, RBs are more concerning. So, if you had 2 backup RB, and 1 backup WR, TE, QB, and D/ST then that makes 15 (1 kicker).

Of course, not everyone prefers 2 defenses, so you could add another RB or WR, depending on how much you like your starters.

How about you?

Depends if waiver closes or run all season long? If closed I would have 5. If open all season I would have 4.

Wow, I didn't know waivers ever CLOSED. That sounds pretty lame to me, with all the injuries.

I play 12 team league with the same starting lineup but with one less bench spot. I usually carry 2RB's, 2WR's, and a QB. I draft QB's later in the draft and rotate them as needed.

With only 10 teams, I could see that there would probably be more available on the wire. I would definitely have at least 2RB's and 2WR's. The other 2 spots would be fungible depending on what's available on the wire.

• Like 1

That's dependent on any number of things. I would say as little as four and as many as 6 or more even.

If you have 2 or 3 stud WRs and your line up is set each week then you just need a little depth.

If you are streaming them, then as many as you can afford to roster makes sense.

Of course injury concerns are vital as well but that's not as easy to predict.

I think if your starters are every week starters, then you only need one bench WR. If you shuffle them in weekly depending on matchups, then two if you think you'd realistically start both of those bench spots at one point in the playoffs.

Even if you get hit by an injury during the playoffs, there's some good matchup based guys you should be able to find on the wire. Some teams with good playoff schedules...

SD: so keep Inman on your watch list.

Dal: so keep Beasley and Brice Butler on your watch list, esp. if they rest Dez/Dez gets hurt.

Car: Ginn and Funchess

TB: Russell Shepard if Evans goes down

Mia: Davante Parker

Those could end up being better than whomever you may roster now.

Who carries a back up TE, QB and dst? That's a lot of waste in a 10 team league. Plenty of solid option on waivers in a league like that.

After Reed went down for a couple of weeks, I picked up Ertz. It looks like I may need him again. I'm not sure what is left on the waivers, but if you don't have the big 8, you are getting crumbs.

You make a good point about back up QBs. As you can see, I gave up on that so I could have a third backup RB. Now if my Wilson gets hurt, there are a few guys who look decent enough that can be plugged in, like Taylor, Tanneyhill, and Kapernick.

scoring system?

This hypothetical is meant to be "usual" in all ways, if there is such a thing as usual.

So usual scoring to me is the following:

Standard (no PPR)

Tds-6

10 yards running or catching- 1

25 yds passing - 1 point

Passing td-4

You know I never draft a back up te.

But I've had seasons where a second te was the best option.

Like you, I also didn't draft one, but when you own Reed, you better have a back up plan.

Btw, I hate having three back up runners. These are guys you will never play except if someone in front of them gets injured. I just feel like I'm wasting space carrying these guys for weeks never having played them once.

I think it largely depends on roster size, dependability of starters, etc.

I typically keep 5 but you could easily get by on 4 if your wr are healthy and dependable

If you have auto start studs AND the league has no limits on roster moves, you could get away with 1 backup. If not, 2. So 5 total. More than anything, make sure there's no obvious every week startable player for your league sitting on the free agent list. Aka don't get eliminated because someone gets a player that you assumed you didn't need.

I think it largely depends on roster size, dependability of starters, etc.

I typically keep 5 but you could easily get by on 4 if your wr are healthy and dependable

Yeah, I hear ya. With the byes gone, I now have my eyes on a back up qb just in case my horse goes down. I don't particularly want to take the chance on streaming qbs during playoffs, so in order for me to pick up a back up qb, I may have to drop my 5th WR and hope my,4 stay healthy and don't have horrible match ups- like against Arizona or possibly Houston.

If you have auto start studs AND the league has no limits on roster moves, you could get away with 1 backup. If not, 2. So 5 total. More than anything, make sure there's no obvious every week startable player for your league sitting on the free agent list. Aka don't get eliminated because someone gets a player that you assumed you didn't need.

Now this post has brought up a FEAR I have of dropping a player. Specifically I have been considering dropping Pryor. But I know he is the best WR on that sorry team and I know Mccown can air it out a ton especially during garbage. Pryor could go off. I'm pretty sure someone will pick him up because not every team has 3 solid players like I do - Cooper, Baldwin, Watkins (when healthy). Even my 4th- MThomas ain't too shabby. So, I doubt now that SAMMY is back I would even play Pryor. But like you said, do I want to see him go off on another team? Nope.

I try to have 3 legit number 1s, a solid 4th and a flyer 5th wr...if the 4/5 end up legit 2s on their team if provides trading flexibility...once trade deadline comes and goes I try to be pared down to 4