Sign in to follow this  
BLS

Help me advertise my business

exactly - and iam90's has the right idea too.

BLS, everything you listed in your original post is PUSH marketing, i.e. you pay to push an ad to anyone out there and you have no idea who the customers being pushed to are or if they even give a fock about you.

you need a website (supported by social media outlets) that is optimized for search - this is PULL marketing - figure out what people who want/need your services search for and then optimize your site with those search words/phrases.

And you are very much a "local" business- - you need a Google My Business Listing if you don't already have one.

The key idea here is that you don't know who wants your services and people who want your services don't know you exist if they don't find you when searching.

Carrypermit.net

I am going to have my web guy work on optimization.

I'm also setting up google ads right now. I am going to pay to be the first on the page. At least until I can get that organically.

Our website needs some real content too. I'm open to suggestions.

You like it because it is easy. Don't do it. Separate yourself from the others.

Locally there is a gun shop offering $50 off a safety class for women. Don't need to buy the gun at the shop, simply want to learn proper safe handling of a weapon.

Not really. I just didn't have many other ideas. I agree on being different.

See if there are some small business associations around you. Often times, there are networking opportunities and you can cross pollinate your marketing.

It sounds like you have to get referrals by word of mouth, so make sure that you have a web presence with testimonials.

Not sure how permits are handed out down there, but you will want to be friends with someone who does that because they control all of the newbies that are out there.

Local Chamber of Commerce?

site looks nice and clean BLS - good job with that.

But it is not optimized - your page title (look at the werds in the Tab) is "Home - Chandler's Firearms Training"

each page should have a unique Title based on the keyword research that tells you what people are searching for.

Yours is Home - followed by your company name / brand. BAD! BAD! BAD!

nobody is searching for Home.

you are not selling Home.

nobody is searching for Chandler

Firearms Training is good (but you just got lucky there b/c it's your company name).

I'm guessing your title should be something like:

<insert State or City> Firearms Training Courses | Beginner Firearms Training

and you should probably have other pages (*i.e. content) that ANSWERS the questions people around you are asking, for example:

Page Title: How to get a Conceal and Carry Permit in <insert State or City>.

Then your page should have a Heading <H1> How to get a Conceal and Carry Permit in <insert State or City>.

• Like 2

Go to salons. Who talks to more people on a weekly basis than women who cut hair or do nails?

Offer them a smokin' deal on a ccw class. They all walk to their cars in the dark, often unaccompanied, they deal with cash, and there is never any protection offered them by the owners.

Make the experience unforgettable...empowering. Take the scary, manly stuff out for them, and teach how it's just a tool to use.

Then, let them talk to their clientele.

1 hair stylist, or nail technician, probably talks to 60 to 100 people a week over a 3 or 4 week cycle. That's 150 to 400 free talking ads per stylist, per shop in your town. 20 stylists at a discount will talk with 5000 other people every 4 weeks. That is 5000 people you have access to 12 times a year. 1% of those is 50 clients. If the experience is good, 10% is 500 new clients. Follow up is necessary...often. Keep them in the conversation. Offer them another class where they wear jeans and roll on the ground and shoot, or a defensive driving thing. Lord knows they could use driving skills.

Also, churches. Offer group classes to churches, including the women's groups.

Go to salons. Who talks to more people on a weekly basis than women who cut hair or do nails?

Offer them a smokin' deal on a ccw class. They all walk to their cars in the dark, often unaccompanied, they deal with cash, and there is never any protection offered them by the owners.

Make the experience unforgettable...empowering. Take the scary, manly stuff out for them, and teach how it's just a tool to use.

1 hair stylist, or nail technician, probably talks to 60 to 100 people a week over a 3 or 4 week cycle. That's 150 to 400 free talking ads per stylist, per shop in your town. 20 stylists at a discount will talk with 5000 other people every 4 weeks. That is 5000 people you have access to 12 times a year. 1% of those is 50 clients. If the experience is good, 10% is 500 new clients. Follow up is necessary...often. Keep them in the conversation. Offer them another class where they wear jeans and roll on the ground and shoot, or a defensive driving thing. Lord knows they could use driving skills.

Don't forget strippers.

BLS, you should go to socialmediaexaminer.com - they are great with DIY social media marketing.

Try implementing just ONE article into your advertising a week, it should be pretty easy as most aren't that time consuming.

After a few months, you will know what direction you want to take your company as far as advertising goes.

Start here:

http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/how-to-find-social-media-micro-influencers-for-your-small-business/

or here: (this would be good for CC classes)

http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/how-to-create-a-social-media-content-calendar-for-a-year/

Also, great tip, don't try to do to much at once. Online advertising can be very overwhelming, stick with one network, or one idea at first and nail it, after that grow it into something else.

With CC classes I would stick with Facebook and Google Adwords, they tend to have an older demographic and convert to more sales from my experience.

• Like 1

People who do take your class, you should give them some kind of "free" (just work it into the price if you need to) memento that advertises your business. Something they will really use, and often enough ... preferably when others are around. E.g. a carrying case for earmuffs with your company's name emblazoned on it or something like that.

You should get those business cards that look like $100 bills folded up. Just drop a few every block. It's a :lock:

You and that other dude who I'm assuming is your brother should prolly shave those shitty mustaches and beards also. :Mr-T:

The ranges around here offer the course for anywhere from 40-60% off retail. The class I was in had at least 20 people. I just had to purchase a voucher through the online company (groupon or whatever) and the voucher provided instructions on how to register for the course at the discounted rate. The large issue with this is it has got to narrow your profit margin paying the website and takinga reduced rate unless you over exaggerate pricing. It may be good to get you through slow times.

Have you tried anything in regards to referral business? Maybe set up something through Constant Contact to send to past customers and see how likely they are to refer other customers.

I really, really, really need a referral program. I struggle to figure out a good way to do it.

We get a LOT of students from referrals because I think we're VERY good.

But I'd like to try to get people to actively tell their friends, and get something for it.

site looks nice and clean BLS - good job with that.

But it is not optimized - your page title (look at the werds in the Tab) is "Home - Chandler's Firearms Training"

each page should have a unique Title based on the keyword research that tells you what people are searching for.

Yours is Home - followed by your company name / brand. BAD! BAD! BAD!

nobody is searching for Home.

you are not selling Home.

nobody is searching for Chandler

Firearms Training is good (but you just got lucky there b/c it's your company name).

I'm guessing your title should be something like:

<insert State or City> Firearms Training Courses | Beginner Firearms Training

and you should probably have other pages (*i.e. content) that ANSWERS the questions people around you are asking, for example:

Page Title: How to get a Conceal and Carry Permit in <insert State or City>.

Then your page should have a Heading <H1> How to get a Conceal and Carry Permit in <insert State or City>.

I'm taking this to my web guy. Thanks for pointing that stuff out.

I'm an IT guy, but not a web guru, and certainly not a marketing guy. I appreciate you looking.

• Like 1

You and that other dude who I'm assuming is your brother should prolly shave those shitty mustaches and beards also. :Mr-T:

:banana: :ninja:

Excellent ideas.

Especially the salon.

Don't forget strippers.

I LOVE where you're going with this. :first:

People who do take your class, you should give them some kind of "free" (just work it into the price if you need to) memento that advertises your business. Something they will really use, and often enough ... preferably when others are around. E.g. a carrying case for earmuffs with your company's name emblazoned on it or something like that.

We tried bumper stickers. Never saw one on a car, so I figured that was a waste.

I like the idea, but don't know what would be effective that people would use. It's a pretty price competitive market, so adding cost may not be a good idea.

We tried bumper stickers. Never saw one on a car, so I figured that was a waste.

I like the idea, but don't know what would be effective that people would use. It's a pretty price competitive market, so adding cost may not be a good idea.

Bumper stickers are too loud, people aren't going to do that. But if you're looking for something cheap, try a refrigerator magnet or maybe coffee mugs. Gotta keep em tasteful enough that your clients won't think twice about displaying it in their home or office

Call every bakery and supermarket in town and order cakes decorated with the name of your company. Never pay for them or pick them up. They will have no choice but to sell them cheap. BLS-themed parties all over town.

• Like 2

Call every bakery and supermarket in town and order cakes decorated with the name of your company. Never pay for them or pick them up. They will have no choice but to sell them cheap. BLS-themed parties all over town.

That's F'n hilarious! Great post!

That's F'n hilarious! Great post!

Yeah man. Excellent.

Thats funny as hell and damn near brilliant.

I'm an IT guy, but not a web guru, and certainly not a marketing guy. I appreciate you looking.

no prob BLS.

SEO is legit... contact all the strippers, hair dressers, and cake makers you want and it still doesn't come close to the exposure you'll get if you are being found in search.

With the first strategy, you're searching for people who need you - a needle in a haystack really.

Withe the second strategy, you're building a landing zone for people who are searching for YOU.

Your on-page strategies are only half the SEO battle.

Every page (from title, to url, to H1's, to image titles and alt tags) need to be a CONCERT that sings the keyword/phrase you are targeting.

And after you've done that properly, the other 50% is your Off-page strategy - i.e. social media likes, shares, reviews, inbound links from other reputable websites... for example, if you get a Police Station or Town.gov website to link to you? GOLD!!

Anywhere, everywhere you put out content, the MOST important thing is the link back to your website - preferably a page that is optimized for and targets the EXACT content you're promoting on that other site.

More recommendations:

1. Create a gmail account to setup Google products / services

2. Setup Google My Business

3. Install Google Analytics on your site

4. Setup Google Webmaster Tools

5. Activate the Google Search Console from Webmaster tools

- Analytics, Webmaster, and Search Console give you valuable data on your traffic, traffic sources, Google queries / keywords used by searchers to find you, Page Rank for keywords / phrases. All of this is actionable data the will help you identify the best words/phrases to use when creating content.

Example: you don't just write a blog and hope they come... you find out what topics / keywords are not only being searched for but are less competitive (i.e. easier to be found for) - And then you write your blog post as bait that "fishes" for that search traffic.

One more step though....

We're not here to count visits and traffic to your site - we want customers and revenue. Getting them to your site is a lot of work, but CONVERTING them is critical.

You need CTA's (calls to action ) on the page(s). Offers, buttons to sign up, ask questions, etc - ANYTHING to get your visitors to ENGAGE with you and once they engage you can actively convert them into customers with your charm and fantastic products.

And finally, when the CONTACT you through the CTA, there should be a data base (built into the site or contact forms) and /or a CRM (customer relations module) that puts them into the marketing funnel - this is when PUSH marketing is most effective- - you now have a customer list of people that you KNOW are interested in you and your products - so SEND them something - PUSH something towards them to convert them into a sale.

Good Luck.

TD

A big sign thay says "pack a piece your wife can actually be proud of"

and finally - here's an example for you on how powerful Page Titles are for being found in search.

Here's a Geek Club Topic that's been around a while (so, it's been Google Indexed).

Go to Google and search:

New Music I can't stop listening to - PART 2

Blamo - page one, position 1... and Mike's hamsters didn't even have to run faster for it.

You can apply this to your own website.

no prob BLS.

SEO is legit... contact all the strippers, hair dressers, and cake makers you want and it still doesn't come close to the exposure you'll get if you are being found in search.

With the first strategy, you're searching for people who need you - a needle in a haystack really.

Withe the second strategy, you're building a landing zone for people who are searching for YOU.

Your on-page strategies are only half the SEO battle.

Every page (from title, to url, to H1's, to image titles and alt tags) need to be a CONCERT that sings the keyword/phrase you are targeting.

And after you've done that properly, the other 50% is your Off-page strategy - i.e. social media likes, shares, reviews, inbound links from other reputable websites... for example, if you get a Police Station or Town.gov website to link to you? GOLD!!

Anywhere, everywhere you put out content, the MOST important thing is the link back to your website - preferably a page that is optimized for and targets the EXACT content you're promoting on that other site.

More recommendations:

1. Create a gmail account to setup Google products / services

2. Setup Google My Business

3. Install Google Analytics on your site

4. Setup Google Webmaster Tools

5. Activate the Google Search Console from Webmaster tools

- Analytics, Webmaster, and Search Console give you valuable data on your traffic, traffic sources, Google queries / keywords used by searchers to find you, Page Rank for keywords / phrases. All of this is actionable data the will help you identify the best words/phrases to use when creating content.

Example: you don't just write a blog and hope they come... you find out what topics / keywords are not only being searched for but are less competitive (i.e. easier to be found for) - And then you write your blog post as bait that "fishes" for that search traffic.

One more step though....

We're not here to count visits and traffic to your site - we want customers and revenue. Getting them to your site is a lot of work, but CONVERTING them is critical.

You need CTA's (calls to action ) on the page(s). Offers, buttons to sign up, ask questions, etc - ANYTHING to get your visitors to ENGAGE with you and once they engage you can actively convert them into customers with your charm and fantastic products.

And finally, when the CONTACT you through the CTA, there should be a data base (built into the site or contact forms) and /or a CRM (customer relations module) that puts them into the marketing funnel - this is when PUSH marketing is most effective- - you now have a customer list of people that you KNOW are interested in you and your products - so SEND them something - PUSH something towards them to convert them into a sale.

Good Luck.

TD

You do this for a living, yes?

You do this for a living, yes?

yes - It's some of what I do.

I am a Technical and Marketing communications expert... I help make complicated sh!t easy for people to understand - part of that is helping companies get found in Google.

Also, I'm a man... so I just know sh!t too. B)

yes - It's some of what I do.

I am a Technical and Marketing communications expert... I help make complicated sh!t easy for people to understand - part of that is helping companies get found in Google.

Also, I'm a man... so I just know sh!t too. B)

Interested in making some side money? PM if interested.

I would just need someone to get things started, and a quick tutorial so I understand the overall concepts.

I would take it from there.

BLS, but if you have to tell your web guy that (pretty basic stuff to be honest) you need a new web guy.

Make a bunch of flyers with pictures of George Zimmerman over a headline, "#1 Former Student", and your biggest competitors phone number.

BLS, but if you have to tell your web guy that (pretty basic stuff to be honest) you need a new web guy.

I'm starting to think the same thing. I'll wait to see what he says/does.

Make a bunch of flyers with pictures of George Zimmerman over a headline, "#1 Former Student", and your biggest competitors phone number.

Why would he want to help his biggest competitor? :wacko:

maybe not.

lots of web coders don't even really think about the content or marketing - they're more concerned with getting the site framework up, making sure all the html, php, and java works correctly... I work with a web developer that doesn't do anything at all with SEO but he creates well-built sites that with good, lightweight code and the sites are responsive (i.e. mobile friendly).

It's kinda' like firing the home builder because the interior design suxor...

I'm starting to think the same thing. I'll wait to see what he says/does.

what platform did he build the site with?

Wordpress? Joomla?

Most of these platforms have dedicated areas for the meta data, Title tags, etc.

IMO, it isn't a web developer's job to populate all this stuff - especially if you didn't already give him a list of keywords / phrases you're targeting.

what platform did he build the site with?

Wordpress? Joomla?

Most of these platforms have dedicated areas for the meta data, Title tags, etc.

IMO, it isn't a web developer's job to populate all this stuff - especially if you didn't already give him a list of keywords / phrases you're targeting.

Wordpress. Myself and another instructor are both pretty tech savvy, so I think what you're suggesting could be learned easily enough.

I see the big picture, just unsure how it all works together, what tools are needed to link social media sites, etc.

Thoughts on Instagram/Twitter, etc? Do I need them?

We use facebook a lot. I also pay ads on it, and it does result in students.

But I honestly have no idea if I'm doing it 'right'.

Trying to run a business with 3 employees, and 9 instructors, teach every weekend and work a FT IT gig gets to be too much at times.

Wordpress. Myself and another instructor are both pretty tech savvy, so I think what you're suggesting could be learned easily enough.

I see the big picture, just unsure how it all works together, what tools are needed to link social media sites, etc.

Thoughts on Instagram/Twitter, etc? Do I need them?

We use facebook a lot. I also pay ads on it, and it does result in students.

But I honestly have no idea if I'm doing it 'right'.

Trying to run a business with 3 employees, and 9 instructors, teach every weekend and work a FT IT gig gets to be too much at times.

I sent you a PM.