Sign in to follow this  
Marshall

Vikings sign Latavius Murray

Not a bad signing for them. He should get the bulk of the carries.

I don't know that it's a better place for him than Oakland for his fantasy value though.

My dynasty team hopes McKinnon is the lead back and Murray gets the short-yardage work :ninja:

I wouldn't hold my breath.

My dynasty team hopes McKinnon is the lead back and Murray gets the short-yardage work :ninja:

I know how you feel. I actually had both on one team, but ended up including Murray in a deal to get Julio. My team is so weak at rb in that league that Burkhead may seriously be my best running back now, well him or Spencer Ware. (I will be changing that when I draft Fournette, but for the time being it's true).

Oakland had a better oline. As much potential as I thought he had, I do agree with his coaches in Oakland that he left yards on the table. How does an athlete as freakish as Murray, who runs a sub 4.4 40, have almost no big play ability? I don't know that he fares any better in Minnesota. In fact, if Mckinnon couldn't do better, I don't see how Murray will. I watched Mckinnon closely and thought he ran pretty well for the circumstances.

I do know that Zimmer is a very poor head coach. His team's offensive philosophy has been as unimaginative an offense there is. Probably on a similar level as the Rams. So even if Minnesota upgrades it's line to be comparable to Oakland, will it be enough for Murray to be a consistent fantasy starter? Plus the rumblings from ex players about how dysfunctional the whole organization is.

Its probably not going your way out of the gate but I think this is a best case scenario for McKinnon owners personally, especially if it now lessens the likelihood of a high draft pick at RB.

If people thought Lat was less than dynamic with the blocking in Oak wait until they see how he looks, even if its an improved version, in Minn.

Murray is not making people miss in the backfield and he doesn't have the agility to flip to a different lane if the play isn't blocked.

He can take it the distance if he gets a head of steam and there is enough of a lane at the second level but I don't see it happening that way too often.

Min isn't going to want Bradford in 3rd and 8 or more a lot so ............... patience may be rewarded.

• Like 1

Its probably not going your way out of the gate but I think this is a best case scenario for McKinnon owners personally, especially if it now lessens the likelihood of a high draft pick at RB.

If people thought Lat was less than dynamic with the blocking in Oak wait until they see how he looks, even if its an improved version, in Minn.

Murray is not making people miss in the backfield and he doesn't have the agility to flip to a different lane if the play isn't blocked.

He can take it the distance if he gets a head of steam and there is enough of a lane at the second level but I don't see it happening that way too often.

Min isn't going to want Bradford in 3rd and 8 or more a lot so ............... patience may be rewarded.

Here is Barnwell's take on it (my bold/italics):

Murray leaves what may have been the league's best line last season for what was likely its worst. The Vikings will have a new look at tackle with Mike Remmers and Riley Reiff added this offseason, but the former Raiders back will have to make his own way far more frequently in 2017. Murray averaged 1.75 yards after contact last season, which was 19th in the league. He finished 23rd in individual DVOA and averaged just 4.0 yards per carry on 195 attempts while Oakland's other running backs, DeAndre Washington and Jalen Richard, averaged 5.6 yards per rush on their 170 combined rushes.

There's a chance Murray is essentially a replacement-level back, which would be disastrous given that the Vikings are giving him $15 million over three years with $8.6 million guaranteed. Anything seems like a discount when you consider that the Vikings were due to pay Adrian Peterson $18 million before releasing the future Hall of Famer, but it's fair to wonder whether Minnesota would have been better off teaming a low-cost power back like LeGarrette Blount or Tim Hightower with Jerick McKinnon.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/Barnwellx2017FAgrades/bill-barnwell-grades-big-2017-free-agent-deals-nfl

I like D Washington.

And I do think he has a shot at being number one Rb with the Raiders.

L Murray should be the Rb1 on the Vikings.

But being productive on his new team won't be a great success.

I like what the article had to say about Blount and or Hightower being better choices.

In Latavius Murray's first game aa a Raider, a Monday nighter at home in the Black Hole against KC, he took a pitch left and raced 10 yards to the end zone pylon leaving Chiefs defenders grasping at air. Next possession he went 90 yards on a blast up the middle.

He has not shown the same explosiveness since that game, and I don't have an answer for that. GREAT character guy, hard worker, never heard a peep of drama from him. But he lacks the instincts, vision, and moves of an elite running back. I think Oakland made a conscious decision to upgrade the position, and it was never about money. Will Murray improve his game and rise to a higher level of play? Possibly.

As for the current gig, I see the team bringing in a new player to take that big back role. And depending on the talent level of who that player ultimately is, there could be huge fantasy upside. I know the want to keep Wash and Richard involved. And with Cordarrelle Patterson in town this frees up Richard from KO return duties. My bet, if the Lynch thing falls through, they draft a back Round 3 or later. I can see the kid Gallman from Clemson here, or possibly a James Connor.

I like D Washington.

And I do think he has a shot at being number one Rb with the Raiders.

L Murray should be the Rb1 on the Vikings.

But being productive on his new team won't be a great success.

I like what the article had to say about Blount and or Hightower being better choices.

I thought that last year, but when Murray got hurt he was quite underwhelming.

what makes you think it wlll be different for him this year?

Not I guess 100% accurate. If he stinks, they can release him and no harm done.

Via Ben Goessling of ESPN.com, Murray’s three-year contract has $3.4 million guaranteed at signing. Another $5.15 million that is guaranteed less than fully at this point becomes fully guaranteed on the third day of the 2018 league year.

The reason why I think D Washington as a shot at being the Raiders number one Rb, is because L Murray is no longer on the team.

So it really leaves it open now, don't you think so?

Ankle Surgery should help him.

The reason why I think D Washington as a shot at being the Raiders number one Rb, is because L Murray is no longer on the team.

So it really leaves it open now, don't you think so?

87 rushes, 467 yards, 17 catches, 115 yards, 2 TD's are solid rookie numbers that Washington put up. He will never be a 3 down back with Jalen Richard there but between the 2 I think Washington gets first cracking at starting unless they sign, trade, draft a better back.

Agree with your statement.

I think he will get the first shot at it , or at least an even shot at being the Raiders number one Rb.

But like you posted unless they draft someone.

well, it's a reasonably deep draft for RB this year I think.

and given that D Washington wasnt great while Latavius was hurt last year, I wouldnt be surprised to see them draft or sign someone to compete with Washington for the job.

I dont think they wlll hand him the job because he's done nothing to prove he deserves the job yet.

I wouldnt be surprised to see a competition for that starting roll in Oakland.

well, it's a reasonably deep draft for RB this year I think.

and given that D Washington wasnt great while Latavius was hurt last year, I wouldnt be surprised to see them draft or sign someone to compete with Washington for the job.

I dont think they wlll hand him the job because he's done nothing to prove he deserves the job yet.

I wouldnt be surprised to see a competition for that starting roll in Oakland.

I really doubt that Dwash is able to be a main carry rb. There is no way he is even with Richard on the roster, since I think Del Rio is committed to RBBC, or he is at least unless he gets a stud.

People are sleeping on Jalen Richard. Kids got the chops to step up.

I think he is a nice gamble if you can get him for basically nothing. Still, he timed and measured really poorly at his pro day in just about everything. Was he a guy who was hindered during his pro day? I thought some running back within the last two years was, thus the unexpected burst that most people didn't expect. Not sure who it was, but I thought there was a story on someone like that.

I think he is a nice gamble if you can get him for basically nothing. Still, he timed and measured really poorly at his pro day in just about everything. Was he a guy who was hindered during his pro day? I thought some running back within the last two years was, thus the unexpected burst that most people didn't expect. Not sure who it was, but I thought there was a story on someone like that.

What the heck do pro day 'measureables' have to do with actual play in the NFL? The only time to even consider pro day stats is when you're grasping at pre-draft straws. Once you have the opportunity to view how a player performs in real games on real fields, all of the pro day stuff becomes meaningless.

What the heck do pro day 'measureables' have to do with actual play in the NFL? The only time to even consider pro day stats is when you're grasping at pre-draft straws. Once you have the opportunity to view how a player performs in real games on real fields, all of the pro day stuff becomes meaningless.

Well a pro day workout usually favors the participant. If he runs a slow time at his Pro day, then odds are he may be even slower.

Still I would love to point out everyone said the same thing about Jeremy Hill. What do you mean he is slow?! He had all these long runs! And then he ends up sucking. It's important to me. If it isn't important to everyone that's good for me. It means I don't scout the same and won't have the same grades as a lot of other people.

But not the speed.

I looked around but couldn't find anything other than he ran a 4.5 back at his pro day. He certainly didn't look slow in games I watched at the end of last year, and had considerably more pop between the tackles than Washington. JR was undrafted while DWash went in the 5th or 6th iirc so it's not like he's competing with a 1st rounder.

I looked around but couldn't find anything other than he ran a 4.5 back at his pro day. He certainly didn't look slow in games I watched at the end of last year, and had considerably more pop between the tackles than Washington. JR was undrafted while DWash went in the 5th or 6th iirc so it's not like he's competing with a 1st rounder.

Yep, I'm gonna agree with Ralphster on that point. JR may not have a great speed/size ratio, but I don't think he is too slow. He actually plays a lot faster than his time would indicate because his cuts are quick and crisp and he has above average acceleration. I don't know if he's big enough to claim a feature RB role and I like Dwash to develop as a better passing down RB eventually so not arguing JR is the man, but I don't think speed is going to be something holding him back.

• Like 1

Don't see any edge to either one of them when I look at the stats from both players from last season.

Even.

But for me I'm ranking Washington first.

Don't see any edge to either one of them when I look at the stats from both players from last season.

Even.

But for me I'm ranking Washington first.

Washington had a big Week 16 and I'm hoping they saw that and said "maybe we got something here."

?

I don't think that we've watched the same games.

Yeah I'm almost positive his timed 40 time was 4.61, though can't remember if a combine time or pro day. He's a very good RB. Nice vision, moves, anticipation, and he's tough as he returned kickoffs last year. If he had 4.43 speed he'd be our feature RB now, in my opinion.