Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - WR John Ross, Bengals

At first, I hated this pick and felt it was a reach (because of his injury history). After a moment of reflection, I only believe the latter. Whether or not A.J. Green's absences last season played a role in this decision or Cincinnati made the choice to augment its top receiver with the fastest man in combine history, the Bengals are getting their replacement for (and an upgrade on) Marvin Jones and a player who is electric in the open field. Ross is the best deep threat in the draft given his obvious speed, but he is also already a pretty good route-runner, which only augments his ability to create separation. He is also a dynamic returner and will have an impact in that area for the Bengals as well.

I like this pick here in a fantasy sense. Rookie WRs don't usually make huge impacts but I think he could make a pretty solid one in Cincy.

He's got a solid QB who can him the ball and AJ Green lining up across from him. He seems like the perfect fit in their offense.

He's got a good shot to be the top rookie WR and a good dynasty pick.

The Bengals have to be stoked - Dalton and A.J., in particular. I was sort of wishing that he could remain in Washington (even though WR isn't a position of need for SEA), just because he's so electric to watch.

Is he more than just a speed wr like a D Jackson?

Well, Jackson has emerged as something more than just a deep threat, but I'd say Ross is more than just a "speed guy". Whether or not the Bengals use him that way is another question.

I like this more for Dalton, Eifert and maybe Hill. Ross has deep speed that safeties will have to respect, but have doubts that Dalton can use it often. It might help clear out room underneath and force safeties to stay out of the box. Dalton was a top fantasy QB a couple of years ago. Ross adds someone that can get some chunk plays and add up some quick yards and long TDs. It would make Dalton especially appealing in MFL10s and best ball formats.

I like this more for Dalton, Eifert and maybe Hill. Ross has deep speed that safeties will have to respect, but have doubts that Dalton can use it often. It might help clear out room underneath and force safeties to stay out of the box. Dalton was a top fantasy QB a couple of years ago. Ross adds someone that can get some chunk plays and add up some quick yards and long TDs. It would make Dalton especially appealing in MFL10s and best ball formats.

Agreed, it should be better for the offense as a whole........in time.

I'm not sure teams will have to fully respect his speed when it comes down to brass tacks because the OLine projects as really, really, poor but maybe there's something I don't know. You don't have to blanket a guy deep when the QB is gonna be on the ground in short order. I do like the future potential though.

Bengals sure added some speed with him and Mixon.

There was a quote from Friday that stuck out in that regard and after a bit of searching this morning, I found it.

"One veteran Bengal observer said of his workout, “I haven’t seen anything like it in almost 20 years in the league. The way he gets in and out of his cuts so quickly is unbelievable.” "

It's unclear to me whether that workout was at the combine or on a visit to the Bengals.

While hunting for that nugget, I also uncovered a couple of others that apply.

"OC Zampese: This guy really jumps out at you with his speed. The thing that jumps out at you as well when you watch him more, he’s a technician and he takes great pride, getting in and out of breaks. Not a lot of wasting motion. He transitions very well.” "

"How much were abilities in the red zone a game changer for you guys?

Zampese: “When you watch his ability to separate laterally, it jumps out down in the red zone. The corners get up closer in press coverage, and his abilities to go sideways as fast as he can go vertical really helped him. You saw in those clips, there was some really great lateral separation.” "

Yeah sounds like he's going to be a good player.

The Bengals have truly surrounded Dalton with some upgraded talent.

This dude will have to run backwards to not overrun Dalton's throws.

He had the same problem in college but he got separation so often that he still racked up stats even with a low percentage of good throws. This guy is pretty electric...durability is the only question.

He had the same problem in college but he got separation so often that he still racked up stats even with a low percentage of good throws. This guy is pretty electric...durability is the only question.

Agreed.

The only other limiting factor is the Line. They lost two solid O linemen this year. That's going to hurt.

After the first two picks in the draft, I was quietly hoping for an O lineman in round 3 but didnt get one until round 5. At least they drafted the right position (Center)

Good point about their Oline Ray.

What makes you think that he will be a bust?

What makes you think that he will be a bust?

Breshad Perriman - electric fast, next great WR.........................nothing

Cordarelle Patterson - blazing speed, next great wr.....................nothing

Devin Smith - super fast, next great WR.........................nothing

Lots of guys that are great because they're fast don't pan out. I'd say guys like Desean Jackson and Percy Harvin (briefly) are the exception to the rule. WR's that turn out great in the NFL have speed, but that doens't always mean they're the fastest guy on the team. Ultra fast usually doesn't pan out. Even Ted Gin has had marginal success as an NFL WR.

I won't touch Ross in my dynasty draft unless he somehow made it deep into 2nd round

I won't touch Ross in my dynasty draft unless he somehow made it deep into 2nd round

I think what sets Ross apart from those guys is that his speed isnt just straight line speed. (although straight line speed is spectacular)

What really sets him apart is his route running is also very good.

lots of these other guys were all about the speed but their route running was suspect (or not very good)

in this case, his route running is what sets him apart and I'm betting he has a good career.

right now the bengals O line is the limiting factor for him in his rookie year. If it turns out the line is a problem you may need to wait a full year (possibly two) for his breakout. But I'm pretty sure this guy will be a player.

I think what sets Ross apart from those guys is that his speed isnt just straight line speed. (although straight line speed is spectacular)

What really sets him apart is his route running is also very good.

lots of these other guys were all about the speed but their route running was suspect (or not very good)

in this case, his route running is what sets him apart and I'm betting he has a good career.

right now the bengals O line is the limiting factor for him in his rookie year. If it turns out the line is a problem you may need to wait a full year (possibly two) for his breakout. But I'm pretty sure this guy will be a player.

I second your opinion. Anyone can bust but if Ross does it will not be because he's a one dimensional speedster type like those mentioned above. Injuries, Dalton's arm and line protection are potential performance risks...though only injuries would make him a bust.

• Like 1

Breshad Perriman - electric fast, next great WR.........................nothing

Cordarelle Patterson - blazing speed, next great wr.....................nothing

Devin Smith - super fast, next great WR.........................nothing

Lots of guys that are great because they're fast don't pan out. I'd say guys like Desean Jackson and Percy Harvin (briefly) are the exception to the rule. WR's that turn out great in the NFL have speed, but that doens't always mean they're the fastest guy on the team. Ultra fast usually doesn't pan out. Even Ted Gin has had marginal success as an NFL WR.

And some look good in the right situations- Michael Crabtree

And some look good in the right situations- Michael Crabtree

Yes, but Crabtree isnt the same sort of receiver these guys are. Crabs is a big physical body who will win those battles for the ball with his big body. Speed isnt really his game. I'm pretty sure his speed is only average, but he wins those physical battles and gets to those jump balls.

I think it was the Football Guru that told me he's a good route runner.

If he can stay healthy I think he could be a good one.

And could help out Green.

I think it was the Football Guru that told me he's a good route runner.

I think it was :thumbsup:

Can he improve? Sure. But he's well ahead of most rookie WRs and certainly ahead of most "speed" WRs.

Ross is not a straight line runner. He has much more refined route running than C-Patt or Devin Smith.

I do wonder about durability. I also wonder how he will do with contested catches and press coverage given his size.

He appeared to grade out fairly well in Matt Harmon's reception perception. It was interesting to see that he runs quite a few curls and slants and has success with them. Having speed is one thing. Being able to create separation with speed AND footwork/route running will get you to produce in the pros.

I'm slowly warming up to Ross more and more. I doubt I will pay the price in rookie drafts, but I'll definitely take a flier on him in a couple re-drafts and best ball leagues.

Ross is not a straight line runner. He has much more refined route running than C-Patt or Devin Smith.

I do wonder about durability. I also wonder how he will do with contested catches and press coverage given his size.

He appeared to grade out fairly well in Matt Harmon's reception perception. It was interesting to see that he runs quite a few curls and slants and has success with them. Having speed is one thing. Being able to create separation with speed AND footwork/route running will get you to produce in the pros.

I'm slowly warming up to Ross more and more. I doubt I will pay the price in rookie drafts, but I'll definitely take a flier on him in a couple re-drafts and best ball leagues.

He is an amazing straight line runner. he broke the record for the fastest 40 at the combine.

it just so happens that he has actual receiving skills and route running skills that other straight line burners do not have. so I guess the best description is that he is not a PURE straight line runner. and I say that because he has those other skills, but make no mistake about it, there is nobody in the NFL that can match his straight line speed.

On 5/5/2017 at 11:03 AM, Maulers1973 said:

I think he'll be a bust. That's just my opinion though.

Pretty much won this thread. 

3 hours ago, cmh6476 said:

well, he has been oft injured.  and at times he has struggled to beat the jam at the line.

the talent is there but I question his heart.  

that said, once he was released by cincy I dont think he was given much of a chance to do anything.  perhaps that is because hes not doing the right things in practice.  hard to say for sure.

but if you could ever get through to him with the coaching he definitely has the talent to get it done.

that is a very big IF.

but if hes signed as a reserve player the risk is minimal. its not like they are paying him millions. at this point hes a reasonable risk.  team isnt out a bunch of cash if he doesnt perform and hes not killing the cap.

I dont mind the signing.

Probly not a bad idea to sign a castoff from a team you might meet in the playoffs...  someone who knows their offensive plays and stuff...

Ross would never have to hit the field to make a huge impact yet this season.