Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - QB Patrick Mahomes II, Chiefs

Kansas City rarely drafts from the same board as most teams, and the Chiefs prove it again here, although Mahomes was gaining steam throughout the draft process. The Texas Tech product has the strongest arm in the draft and creates more off-script plays than any quarterback should have to, but he is perhaps the most undisciplined signal-caller too. HC Andy Reid has a long and proven track record of developing quarterbacks, however, and has earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to evaluating the position. (For example, Donovan McNabb was a strong-armed option quarterback coming out of Syracuse.) Mahomes isn't ready to play in the NFL in 2017, but he lands in a great situation in that he has a durable veteran quarterback in front of him (Alex Smith) who is solid and durable enough to keep the rookie on the bench, but not so good the young buck can't take the job in 2018 if he shows enough progress in preseason action and/or relief duties. However, it is very possible Mahomes will still not be ready to start at the beginning of next season.

• Like 1

I think KC fans will have at least one more season with A Smith n

I like the guts they had to admit they need to find an Alex Smith replacement. The guy may be a project but I like it better than Trublisky.

This could be a Farve/Rodgers type of situation. I'm not saying Mahomes would ever be as good as Aaron. But sit and learn from a veteran coaching staff, and from a veteran QB. Another former first rounder to boot.

Plus, if Mahomes isn't ready next year. I'm sure Smith would resign for another year or two without a problem.

I think this is a damn fine situation to be in.

I like the guts they had to admit they need to find an Alex Smith replacement. The guy may be a project but I like it better than Trublisky.

Alex Smith is only 32 years old.

They probably could have waited another year to get someone on the roster.

unless they know something we dont. Maybe Smith plans to retire before he hits 35 years of age? Or maybe there is an injury we are not all aware of?

They maybe realize Alex Smith probably isn't winning us a superbowl, unless you are elite basically across the board everywhere else.

Next level qbs can hide holes at other positions. I'm to the point where we need to find our elite level qb, and if you have to keep trying and trying and miss a couple times before you hit maybe that's not a bad thing.

Teams who find regular success seem to have one thing in common. Upper echelon consistency at the qb position. Alex Smith is good, but I don't think he is that. I hope we found our top level qb of the next decade :thumbsup:

They maybe realize Alex Smith probably isn't winning us a superbowl, unless you are elite basically across the board everywhere else.

Next level qbs can hide holes at other positions. I'm to the point where we need to find our elite level qb, and if you have to keep trying and trying and miss a couple times before you hit maybe that's not a bad thing.

Teams who find regular success seem to have one thing in common. Upper echelon consistency at the qb position. Alex Smith is good, but I don't think he is that. I hope we found our top level qb of the next decade :thumbsup:

Well, he's gonna sit for at least a year (possibly two)

a lot can change in that timeframe. But given that people felt he wasnt ready to start right away, he's not a bad pick. I just didnt agree with the price the team paid to move up in the draft to get him.

When you consider Alex Smith's age, they could have waited for next years draft and maybe got a similar talent without paying the same price.

That being said, maybe the scouts felt he was elite and just needed time to refine his game and learn to be a pro.

At the end of the day, you need to trust your scouts. If you dont trust em, you might as well not have them on your payroll.

Well, he's gonna sit for at least a year (possibly two)

a lot can change in that timeframe. But given that people felt he wasnt ready to start right away, he's not a bad pick. I just didnt agree with the price the team paid to move up in the draft to get him.

When you consider Alex Smith's age, they could have waited for next years draft and maybe got a similar talent without paying the same price.

That being said, maybe the scouts felt he was elite and just needed time to refine his game and learn to be a pro.

At the end of the day, you need to trust your scouts. If you dont trust em, you might as well not have them on your payroll.

i wonder if missing out on Matt ryan and Aaron Rodgers had something to do with it

I think Smith is indeed the starting Qb at least for next season.

chiefs need some first page love :ninja:

• Like 1

Kick in the butt is more like it

Big risk departing from Smith & Dorsey. QBs with no starts always have growing pains.

pffffttttttt

all-world caliber potential > game manager

Big risk departing from Smith & Dorsey. QBs with no starts always have growing pains.

Certainly cant ask for better weaponry for your nfl debut.

The chiefs had two anchors holding them back from contending. Alex smith and Andy Reid. One is now gone.

Certainly cant ask for better weaponry for your nfl debut.

The chiefs had two anchors holding them back from contending. Alex smith and Andy Reid. One is now gone.

Its not his NFL debut

That kid is a straight beast. A gun-slinging baby-faced assassin, like Steph Curry.

Tyreek Hill may put up some ridiculous numbers with that kid. They just missed on a 98-yard TD yesterday. He actually overthrew Hill; how is that possible?

As bad as the Chiefs defense is, their offensive players may be league-winners.

• Thanks 1

I wish I had him.

He looked impressive. Granted, it was against a defense that can't make an open field tackle to save their life, but he was still throwing darts, with confidence.

I dunno I quite enjoyed watching him play, seems like a new crop of potentially elite QBs is emerging.

New Player Note Thu, Oct 17

Patrick Mahomes has been diagnosed with a dislocated right kneecap.

Advice: NFL.com's James Palmer reports that Mahomes has avoided a fracture, but that further testing is required to determine if there's any ligament damage. A short absence is in play, but the same remains true for a lengthy one. Mahomes should undergo an MRI on Friday, and we figure to know the results within the next 18 hours.

More: James Palmer on Twitter

(Rotoworld.com)

so which do we think was Mahomes worst season?  His MVP season or Super Bowl season?  :banana:

1 hour ago, cmh6476 said:

so which do we think was Mahomes worst season?  His MVP season or Super Bowl season?  :banana:

Definitely this season. Too many fanboys who scoffed at the more level-headed among us that predicted Mahomes wouldn't come anywhere near 50 TD's again....

2019 was his worst ff season. 

But 2019 was his teams better season. 

Mahomes still has a little growing up to do.

After getting back from the parade and turning on NFL network, they were showing Channel 5 coverage and the media dude talked about him being a man or something and drinking the bud heavy.

Nope, they made Bud Light cans in red for the occasion. Earlier he was putting down some Coors Lights.

Come on man, you can do better than the light beers

:bench:

8 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

Mahomes still has a little growing up to do.

After getting back from the parade and turning on NFL network, they were showing Channel 5 coverage and the media dude talked about him being a man or something and drinking the bud heavy.

Nope, they made Bud Light cans in red for the occasion. Earlier he was putting down some Coors Lights.

Come on man, you can do better than the light beers

:bench:

Tough Crowd......

20 minutes ago, Pinesprings said:

Tough Crowd......

no kidding.  I didnt know a QB who drinks light beer was a problem.

On 4/27/2017 at 11:08 PM, cmh6476 said:

:banana:

:banana: :banana: :banana:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1