Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Minimum wage increase is killing restaurants. Great job liberals.

10 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

I don't know what it is but I think Newsome is crazy.  Like seriously crazy.  Like one day they will find 10000 bodies buried in his basement crazy.  He really creeps me out man.

Patrick Bateman

On 5/16/2017 at 9:57 AM, Strike said:

Here's my version. Low wage jobs should be transient. While one learns a skill that will pay more. If someone is 30 years old and hoping minimum wage is raised so they can make more that's pretty pathetic. No one should have minimum wage as their ceiling for a salary. People should have higher goals than that. I don't have a lot of sympathy for those that don't.

Replaying to an old post from 2.5 years ago but this actually isn't true at all.  There are 2 ways to make it in America.  This was true 100 years ago, 75 years ago, 50 years ago, 25 years ago and still true today.

1.  Get a degree in a high paying field and land a salaried job for a great wage.  Might have to work 60-80 hours per week depending upon what field you are in as it is salaried not hourly.

2.  Skip the degree and grab 2 low-paying jobs.  Traditionally that second job would as a waitress or bartender to scoop up tips.  You might work 60-80 hours per week.

What NEVER has existed is a time where people make it working 1 minimum-wage job for 30-40 hours per week.

17 minutes ago, riversco said:

Replaying to an old post from 2.5 years ago but this actually isn't true at all.  There are 2 ways to make it in America.  This was true 100 years ago, 75 years ago, 50 years ago, 25 years ago and still true today.

1.  Get a degree in a high paying field and land a salaried job for a great wage.  Might have to work 60-80 hours per week depending upon what field you are in as it is salaried not hourly.

2.  Skip the degree and grab 2 low-paying jobs.  Traditionally that second job would as a waitress or bartender to scoop up tips.  You might work 60-80 hours per week.

What NEVER has existed is a time where people make it working 1 minimum-wage job for 30-40 hours per week.

I would add a 3rd which is to start your own business, which doesn't necessarily require a degree.  Typically that requires 100+ hour weeks and is a big risk of course, at least in the beginning.  When our kids were younger we sent them to a private school; the parents mostly came from either high-paying field (often both parents) and business owners.