Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

**Round Ten-Sixteen Commentary**

Also just took Kamara in my dynasty league. Let's see what he can do in an explosive NO offense if AD gets hurt again and/or Ingram heads back to the doghouse.

Joe - I assume it was a quick change but once you post your pick, please don't just go back and change it. Those who monitor the Selection threads see when a post is made and what the original post was, so it's confusing when it's been edited after. Thanks

I was watching him and wondering, even did a news search to see if people were avoiding for some reason.....the guy is a solid 9th rounder, maybe even an 8th; darn good value this late.

Almost took him over riddick it until fat eddie loses the job, I need some production while I wait for muscle hamsters 3 game suspension

Procise has a role either way. He will get 50+ receptions whoever is playing. He was just hitting his stride when he hurt his shoulder. Had a 200 + game, then went down. Rawls didn't take the job over when it was handed to him.

Sorry about that Scott!

Won't happen again....

Cool, thanks.

Mike:

Tell me a little about Mr Mack from Indy. I am curious.

Give my best to Doug, miss him from this Mock!!

Mike:

Tell me a little about Mr Mack from Indy. I am curious.

Give my best to Doug, miss him from this Mock!!

Doug did a nice writeup on Mack in his Top 10 Rookie article that we posted today.

I think Mack's skill set is better than Turbin and Ferguson and while I like Christine Michael's ability slightly better, he's worn out his welcome so much there's a good chance that will happen again in Indianapolis.

That leaves Mack behind the ageless wonder Frank Gore (34). It's a pure opportunity pick late in the draft betting on Gore not making it through the season and the Colts turning to the most talented RB on the roster that has future with the team.

White Wonder read his nfl news this afternoon.

i actually read mostly golf and nba draft news. actually nothing football related.

but now that I just headed over to rotoworld im assuming you mean the contract stuff about Bell? Connor was going to be on my team regardless. Had him penciled in to this turn from the moment I drafted LeVeon. This is a format where I believe in handcuffing your top stud RB if at all possible.

I'm generally a big proponent of taking a QB2 early. There's only so many with top 10 upside. You don't want to get stuck with a Sam Bradford or Alex Smith.

Especially in best ball format, where a low end QB2 will get you very few points.

Here's where I get confused with the mocks on here. Is everyone drafting for a regular redraft league or are they drafting for a best ball league? I always thought the point was to mock a regular redraft league but then the teams were thrown into a best ball format just to see how the teams did. If this is the case then it's affecting the way everyone drafts and doesn't give us accurate info.

Everyone is "mindful" of the best ball format and it influences picks a little bit...but not all that much. I normally make one pick out of sixteen in which the best ball format is the strongest consideration, but that's about it. That's probably about par for the course for others as well.

I have always drafted it just as I would my own regular draft, at this point in time, for a team I'd have to manage. When I use to do my team analysis it was based on that.

I think results are skewed slightly more than one might think.

Clearly everyone is drafting QBs for best ball. Someone made a comment "Brees and Brady won it last year" and that spawned everyone trying to follow suit.

• Like 1

Clearly everyone is drafting QBs for best ball. Someone made a comment "Brees and Brady won it last year" and that spawned everyone trying to follow suit.

Exactly. How can you not completely ignore the best ball part? We are all competitive so when it gets to those mid to later rounds I start thinking more about which players will help more in a best ball format, it's hard to ignore. I can't imagine that many guys here would draft two QBs within the first 8 rounds in their own competitive redraft leagues.

Is it possible to import the mock draft into an ESPN or Yahoo league so that it stays closer to a regular redraft league. That way everyone is drafting for the same goal and it gives a more accurate portrayal of a real draft.

Also, I saw some requesting to have more rounds to draft players. What would be the need in a regular redraft when most leagues on ESPN and Yahoo are 15 to 16 rosters? The most common draft that have more rounds are best ball drafts and dynasties.

Exactly. How can you not completely ignore the best ball part? We are all competitive so when it gets to those mid to later rounds I start thinking more about which players will help more in a best ball format, it's hard to ignore. I can't imagine that many guys here would draft two QBs within the first 8 rounds in their own competitive redraft leagues.

Is it possible to import the mock draft into an ESPN or Yahoo league so that it stays closer to a regular redraft league. That way everyone is drafting for the same goal and it gives a more accurate portrayal of a real draft.

Also, I saw some requesting to have more rounds to draft players. What would be the need in a regular redraft when most leagues on ESPN and Yahoo are 15 to 16 rosters? The most common draft that have more rounds are best ball drafts and dynasties.

I would if they fell too far I'm still an old-school VBD guy and tend to draft for value wherever it may be found.

I would if they fell too far I'm still an old-school VBD guy and tend to draft for value wherever it may be found.

I'm not saying everyone is but I can tell these mocks are being influenced by the best ball format and I'm just worried that it's not giving an accurate assessment which is what the whole purpose of the mocks are for.

My winning with Brady & Brees last year was not the only factor in my victory. I went back and looked. Brady only outscored Brees in 4 weeks. I also didn't take Brady until the 8th round and he was just too good a value to let pass at that point (even though he was going to miss the first 4 games). I think that my victory had to do with selecting Jordy Nelson, Dez Bryant, DeMarco Murray & TY Hilton with my first 4 picks and not losing any of them to significant injury. It also helped that I drafted Michael Thomas in the 15th round and he turned into the #9 WR last year. Those first 4 picks and Thomas gave me three top 10 WR's and the #5 RB last year. That's where the championship was really made.

ICEMAN

• Like 1

I'm not saying everyone is but I can tell these mocks are being influenced by the best ball format and I'm just worried that it's not giving an accurate assessment which is what the whole purpose of the mocks are for.

I think you can use the mock with confidence. I don't see any picks that were wildly out of balance with how a typical redraft will go. I have Big Ben as a top 5 QB. When he fell too far, I grabbed him and I would have done the same even with no best ball in place.

My winning with Brady & Brees last year was not the only factor in my victory. I went back and looked. Brady only outscored Brees in 4 weeks. I also didn't take Brady until the 8th round and he was just too good a value to let pass at that point (even though he was going to miss the first 4 games). I think that my victory had to do with selecting Jordy Nelson, Dez Bryant, DeMarco Murray & TY Hilton with my first 4 picks and not losing any of them to significant injury. It also helped that I drafted Michael Thomas in the 15th round and he turned into the #9 WR last year. Those first 4 picks and Thomas gave me three top 10 WR's and the #5 RB last year. That's where the championship was really made.

ICEMAN

I agree with this. Taking Brady was just smart Fantasy Football in round 8.

It's obvious everyone went two QBs early which is not typical for a redraft league. Everyone said "draft like redraft" and that's not what happened. I'm perfectly fine with it, but let's call it like it is. We didn't go hardcore redraft strategy, and we didn't go hardcore best ball either. Somewhere in between.

• Like 1

I think you can use the mock with confidence. I don't see any picks that were wildly out of balance with how a typical redraft will go. I have Big Ben as a top 5 QB. When he fell too far, I grabbed him and I would have done the same even with no best ball in place.

I'm not trying to say it's very drastic but it's there. I think it would more accurately reflect a regular redraft if the teams got imported into a regular league or not at all.

I remember last year in the July mock the rules were slightly different than the June mock. We did not have any positional restrictions which meant we didn't have to draft a K or D if we didn't want to. I didn't draft a K because I usually don't when given that option and there was one member who was not happy about it. In order to give everyone an accurate example of a draft it should be treated as if it were your drafting for a real league.

It's obvious everyone went two QBs early which is not typical for a redraft league. Everyone said "draft like redraft" and that's not what happened. I'm perfectly fine with it, but let's call it like it is. We didn't go hardcore redraft strategy, and we didn't go hardcore best ball either. Somewhere in between.

Exactly. I don't think the first 6 rounds are affected at all and are accurate but once you get past those rounds I start to see a little best ball influence and that's just natural since everyone has that in the back of their head. I don't think it's heavily influenced but it's there.

• Like 1

In my 12 team, redraft big money league that I have been in for over 20 years, usually everyone drafts 2 quarterbacks. Depending on how the draft plays out, sometimes I only draft 1 QB, but I am the only one. I don't think that each team drafting a backup QB happens due to this draft resulting in a best ball format league.

ICEMAN

I want two top twelve Qb's and two top twelve Te's in any draft I'm in.

Really? Interesting strategy. Seems that would limit your chances at getting top RBs and WRs.

I went Luck and Kelce early (3rd/4th) and in the 7th/8th took Cam/Eifert.

I posted at the time that it was a value decision. And in a normal redraft would allow me look for opportunities to trade Luck/Kelce. It had nothing to do with best-ball. QB and TE weren't a need but they were the best values. And could possibly even alter other's draft plans if they didn't expect me to take a 2nd QB and TE in those earlier rounds. I didn't look at them as QB2/TE2 but rather potential QB1/TE1 if I could deal Luck/Kelce for WR/RB value.

It just doesn't happen that early is all.

If everyone gets what they expect then you've lost an opportunity to make the other drafters go to their Plan B. It does happen that early if drafters are willing to take chances imo.

I went Luck and Kelce early (3rd/4th) and in the 7th/8th took Cam/Eifert.

I posted at the time that it was a value decision. And in a normal redraft would allow me look for opportunities to trade Luck/Kelce. It had nothing to do with best-ball. QB and TE weren't a need but they were the best values. And could possibly even alter other's draft plans if they didn't expect me to take a 2nd QB and TE in those earlier rounds. I didn't look at them as QB2/TE2 but rather potential QB1/TE1 if I could deal Luck/Kelce for WR/RB value.

I know many people have tried drafting to trade before but I have never seen it work personally and it's failed for me. One year I drafted Kaepernick and Brady when Kaep was starting and doing well. No one wanted either of them for trade and neither of them finished the year towards the top.

As for two TEs, I've always thought it was a major waste of roster space having that second TE unless they were both taken late in the draft.

Really? Interesting strategy. Seems that would limit your chances at getting top RBs and WRs.

It all depends on your own projections. I had Dak as a top 12.....many probably didn't. Last year I missed when I targeted Tannehill as a top 12. I also have Ebron as a TE #1 this year with Boldin's departure. I had other choices and went with Devante Adams as my #1 WR. You can go read my reasoning on all my players. I agree with you that the results in this draft could possibly be skewed more than others realize. I just can't draft anything other than a squad I can manage.

As for two TEs, I've always thought it was a major waste of roster space having that second TE unless they were both taken late in the draft.

Tell that to the Gronk owners :lol:

Tell that to the Gronk owners :lol:

I've had Gronk before and I just picked up a guy on waivers. Rostering second TE is a wasted spot unless you're streaming them. If I have a solid TE then I'm not keeping that second one for long. RBs and WRs are far more valuable, not only to my team and as possible trades.

I've had Gronk before and I just picked up a guy on waivers. Rostering second TE is a wasted spot unless you're streaming them. If I have a solid TE then I'm not keeping that second one for long. RBs and WRs are far more valuable, not only to my team and as possible trades.

in your opinion. I did not want to try to figure out which giant te was gonna produce today to cover for a gronk or eifert injury. Or throw in for injured reed.

While your attention is still on, just wanted to say good luck this year to all the IBL'ers....

• Like 1