Sign in to follow this  
Fireballer

Today's my birthday, how old is everyone/vs how old do you feel?

A life without dairy or carbs is not worth living. Bread, cheese, meat and potatoes are the best things about food.

Why?

Rice and noodles are the staples of the Chinese diet. They actually call them staple foods.

The word for to eat is chi fan. Literally it means eat rice. My fiancée for example says if she doesnt eat rice every day, she feels hungry.

And I know volty doesnt like a lot of the meat options in china, so Im betting he eats lots of rice, dumplings, and noodles. He mentions he eats the Muslim food a lot. Thats mostly noodles.

• Like 1

A life without dairy or carbs is not worth living. Bread, cheese, meat and potatoes are the best things about food.

This. Just like the whole eating poosay causes cancer thing.

If bread and cheese and potatoes will kill me ten years sooner, oh focking well. Life without them aint worth living anyway.

If bread and cheese and potatoes will kill me ten years sooner, oh focking well. Life without them aint worth living anyway.

Man goes to his doctor and asks "Doc, ya think I'll live to be 100?" Doctor says "Well, that depends, let me ask you some questions..."

"Do you drink?" - Nope

"Do you do drugs?" - Never

"Do you sleep with lots of women?" - Absolutely not.

Doc asks "What the hell do you want to be 100 for?"

• Like 1

The problem with this mentality is sh!tty diet doesnt kill you immediately. Youll develop all sorts of chronic illnesses with commensurate decrease in quality of life, suffering for several decades before something eventually does you in.

The other problem is the presupposition that healthy alternatives cant taste nearly as good as a bad diet. Even if you cant find something you like initially, your palate adapts so you eventually crave healthy foods and dont want the things you think make life worth living. Surely youve acquired tastes like smoking, alcohol, etc. - why isnt health worth doing the same with your diet?

The problem with this mentality is sh!tty diet doesnt kill you immediately. Youll develop all sorts of chronic illnesses with commensurate decrease in quality of life, suffering for several decades before something eventually does you in.

The other problem is the presupposition that healthy alternatives cant be nearly as good as a bad diet. Even if you cant find something you like initially, your palate adapts so you eventually crave healthy foods and dont want the things you think make life worth living. Surely youve acquired tastes like smoking, alcohol, etc. - why isnt health worth doing the same with your diet?

Of course. Im not saying go crazy and eat nothing but bacon and cheese and bread.

But Im sure as hell never going to completely cut them. Id rather get ill and die earlier than live to be a hundred as a vegan.

Im trying to do better with moderation. Being in Asia has helped my diet. They have ways of cooking veggies that I can tolerate. Back home, the only way I like them is southern style, basically cooked to a pulp in lard, which largely removes the purpose.

Of course. Im not saying go crazy and eat nothing but bacon and cheese and bread.

But Im sure as hell never going to completely cut them. Id rather get ill and die earlier than live to be a hundred as a vegan.

Im trying to do better with moderation. Being in Asia has helped my diet. They have ways of cooking veggies that I can tolerate. Back home, the only way I like them is southern style, basically cooked to a pulp in lard, which largely removes the purpose.

Nobody here is advocating veganism, just eliminating highly processed foods and cutting back on meat and dairy in favor of fruits and veggies.

I thought legumes were on the bad food list, at least as far as ketogenic diets are concerned?

You asked me about "useless" carbs; high-fiber legumes don't fit that description. HTH. :thumbsup:

And I know volty doesnt like a lot of the meat options in china, so Im betting he eats lots of rice, dumplings, and noodles. He mentions he eats the Muslim food a lot. Thats mostly noodles.

Thankfully the Chinese absorbed and repressed the Uyghurs. Because of that, they've spread all over the country opening cheap restaurants with good food.

People try to impress us so they invite us out to dinner at the upscale Chinese restaurant where they drop a good 100-150 yuan per person and while the ambiance is fantastic, the food is mediocre. I have to pull out bones and skin and cartilage and pretend to enjoy it. In a Chinese formal dinner, diners sit around a circular table. They use something called a Lazy Susan which is a large glass rotary tray in the middle of the table. https://www.incimages.com/uploaded_files/image/970x450/94574902_pan_23926.jpg https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/01/Restaurant_serving_turntable_restaurant_in_China%2C_1987.jpg/1200px-Restaurant_serving_turntable_restaurant_in_China%2C_1987.jpg

The restaurant puts the food on that, the dinners rotate the tray and you have access, eventually, to everything available when it pauses right in front of you. They'll have twelve dishes there, help yourself. Fortunately, as the nuances of what I like am willing to eat, often get lost in translation, my wife knows what I want so there's usually 1-3 decent things on there.

For a 90% discount, they could make me much happier by going instead to a hole-in-the-wall Uyghur restaurant and I'll eat much better but, even though I make my preferences clear a dozen times over, this never happens. No. We've always gotta go to the stupid expensive place, even though I've never enjoyed a meal in one in seventeen years. It's the thought that counts. Smile. Be polite. Thank you.

You asked me about "useless" carbs; high-fiber legumes don't fit that description. HTH. :thumbsup:

I didn’t think so either, but strict ketophiles avoid them. Not quite sure why. :dunno:

50 was the Killer. Not just physically, the whole shebang. I remember having employees that were 50 when I was half their age. Now I understand. Worse now.

Physically, it wasn't just the exoskeleton, it was the internal organs.

psychologically, I just don't want to work as hard as I did the first 25 years of my career, adult life.

If this is what I feel like at 50, I'll be bone fuct if I want to be 70.

Thankfully the Chinese absorbed and repressed the Uyghurs. Because of that, they've spread all over the country opening cheap restaurants with good food.

People try to impress us so they invite us out to dinner at the upscale Chinese restaurant where they drop a good 100-150 yuan per person and while the ambiance is fantastic, the food is mediocre. I have to pull out bones and skin and cartilage and pretend to enjoy it. In a Chinese formal dinner, diners sit around a circular table. They use something called a Lazy Susan which is a large glass rotary tray in the middle of the table. https://www.incimages.com/uploaded_files/image/970x450/94574902_pan_23926.jpg https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/01/Restaurant_serving_turntable_restaurant_in_China%2C_1987.jpg/1200px-Restaurant_serving_turntable_restaurant_in_China%2C_1987.jpg

The restaurant puts the food on that, the dinners rotate the tray and you have access, eventually, to everything available when it pauses right in front of you. They'll have twelve dishes there, help yourself. Fortunately, as the nuances of what I like am willing to eat, often get lost in translation, my wife knows what I want so there's usually 1-3 decent things on there.

For a 90% discount, they could make me much happier by going instead to a hole-in-the-wall Uyghur restaurant and I'll eat much better but, even though I make my preferences clear a dozen times over, this never happens. No. We've always gotta go to the stupid expensive place, even though I've never enjoyed a meal in one in seventeen years. It's the thought that counts. Smile. Be polite. Thank you.

Are you naturally a picky person? Or do you believe most of us would agree on the poor quality? I'm not picky imo, but if the meat is tasting gamey, I'm out.

Pen, it seems you are very educated on health and diet.

What do you recommend avoiding?

What do you recommend eating?

Forget losing weight, say we are aiming for a long term diet that will reduce the risk of cancer, heart disease, diabeetus, and alzheimers. Losing weight, increased energy, and increased libido are nice bonuses.

Is inflammation as important as the interwebs say it is? Lots of super foods and spices and what not claim to help with that. Any troof?

Turned 50 today. I feel great!!! ...

... if I was 60

Happy birthday gramps!

... if I was 60

Happy bday fat man

Are you naturally a picky person? Or do you believe most of us would agree on the poor quality? I'm not picky imo, but if the meat is tasting gamey, I'm out.

Generally, the taste is fine. The problem is, they chop the entire focking carcas up into tiny pieces and throw it in the dish. So as he says, youre not picking up an edidble chunk of chicken meat with your chopsticks. Your picking up a shoulder joint with bone and splinters of bone, and cartilage and skin and all.

It makes eating more of a pain in the ass than its worth.

I wont even try with seafood anymore. Learn how to debone and skin a fish you dumb focks. And you dont eat the shell and legs and tail and head of a shrimp.

They think our way is wasteful.

For these reasons, I always order pork or beef. Every time.

• Like 1

Before I came to China, I use to think I would be able to eat anything. I was wrong. I'm only picky in China. I love US Chinese food by the way.

Generally, the taste is fine. The problem is, they chop the entire focking carcas up into tiny pieces and throw it in the dish. So as he says, youre not picking up an edidble chunk of chicken meat with your chopsticks. Your picking up a shoulder joint with bone and splinters of bone, and cartilage and skin and all.

It makes eating more of a pain in the ass than its worth.

I wont even try with seafood anymore. Learn how to debone and skin a fish you dumb focks. And you dont eat the shell and legs and tail and head of a shrimp.

They think our way is wasteful.

For these reasons, I always order pork or beef. Every time.

Yes Yes Yes.

Yes. Yes.

... if I was 60

Hbd bromigo

Forget losing weight, say we are aiming for a long term diet that will reduce the risk of cancer, heart disease, diabeetus, and alzheimers. Losing weight, increased energy, and increased libido are nice bonuses.

Is inflammation as important as the interwebs say it is? Lots of super foods and spices and what not claim to help with that. Any troof?

Id actually like him to answer this too. Im finally to the age where I care about what Im eating.

Id actually like him to answer this too. Im finally to the age where I care about what Im eating.

But I'm still not at the age where I care what he says.

The diet I recommend is similar to the Blue Zones - areas known for longevity. It is plant-based ( roughly 90%+ of your calories from them - fruits, veggies, nuts, legumes), but a little meat (especially fish) is OK. Avoid dairy and minimize egg consumption. Eliminate processed stuff, like fast food, most baked goods and white rice. Drink mostly water and coffee. https://www.bluezones.com/recipes/food-guidelines/

While eating whole food is preferable, it's unclear if organic makes much of a difference with regards to health. Lots of unsubstantiated BS in the "health food" industry - terms like antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and super food are often more about advertising than demonstrable health benefit. You'll do fine if you eat a variety of fruits and veggies. Hardly any supplements have good data to support their use - maybe vitamin D and omega 3 fatty acids.

This diet is carbohydrate-based, with ~65% of calories coming from them. While ketogenic, very low carbohydrate diets are effective for short term weight loss, the diet is untenable long term and doesn't lend itself to overall health IMO. I think people are throwing out the baby with the bath water with the current low-carb trend, and we tend to over consume animal protein, which has been linked to chronic illness like heart disease and cancer.

• Like 1

... if I was 60

Does your birthday fall on the holiday every year ?

:lol:

Happy Bday

Eggs are great for you, stop living in 1985. Dairy is perfectly fine too and butter/cheese are mandatory.

Also @Titans holy crap see I need my meats and stuff to be lean, I cant do the carcass with the bones and cartilage etc. Makes me gag. For Chinese food Ill stick to Panda Express. I prefer all other Asian cuisine to Chinese. Especially Thai and Viet.

Eggs are great for you, stop living in 1985. Dairy is perfectly fine too and butter/cheese are mandatory.

Also @Titans holy crap see I need my meats and stuff to be lean, I cant do the carcass with the bones and cartilage etc. Makes me gag. For Chinese food Ill stick to Panda Express. I prefer all other Asian cuisine to Chinese. Especially Thai and Viet.

I didnt notice anyone asking for your dietary advice :dunno:

The diet I recommend is similar to the Blue Zones - areas known for longevity. It is plant-based ( roughly 90%+ of your calories from them - fruits, veggies, nuts, legumes), but a little meat (especially fish) is OK. Avoid dairy and minimize egg consumption. Eliminate processed stuff, like fast food, most baked goods and white rice. Drink mostly water and coffee. https://www.bluezones.com/recipes/food-guidelines/

While eating whole food is preferable, it's unclear if organic makes much of a difference with regards to health. Lots of unsubstantiated BS in the "health food" industry - terms like antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and super food are often more about advertising than demonstrable health benefit. You'll do fine if you eat a variety of fruits and veggies. Hardly any supplements have good data to support their use - maybe vitamin D and omega 3 fatty acids.

This diet is carbohydrate-based, with ~65% of calories coming from them. While ketogenic, very low carbohydrate diets are effective for short term weight loss, the diet is untenable long term and doesn't lend itself to overall health IMO. I think people are throwing out the baby with the bath water with the current low-carb trend, and we tend to over consume animal protein, which has been linked to chronic illness like heart disease and cancer.

Interesting. There are a lot of similarities to that and how we eat, perhaps other than proportions. Comments from your link:

- Plant-based: we eat a lot of leafy greens and olive oil. More meat than they say, although usually it is fish or chicken or pork with maybe red meat once every 1-2 weeks (having ribs tonight for the 4th, yummmm...)

- Fish: we have it at least once per week. The rest was religious cult stuff.

- Reduce dairy: probably my biggest food vice. I put a little cream in my morning coffee, and love cheese. But this section wasn't compelling -- blue zoners use dairy from goats and sheep, but the Adventists use cow dairy and seem fine.

- Eliminate eggs: this section made no sense except from a religious cult perspective. Blue zoners all eat them. And the diabetes comment about avoiding yolks doesn't compute.

- Beans rock: as I stated earlier, we eat lots of them. Well, not as much as blue zoners, but they are still a decent part of our diet. Hi fiber, low glycemic index. Unless you are starting a keto diet you should get your fiber from beans and legumes.

- Slash sugar: agreed

- Snack on nuts: also agreed. We have a whole cabinet full of different kinds that we snack on if our meal wasn't satisfying enough. The reason is that they are high in fat (and protein) vs. carbs in general. Fat is what satisfies your hunger. This makes me question the 65% carb assertion for this diet, but that is another discussion.

- Sour on bread: Sourdough is my favorite. Interesting that they don't talk about how much bread the blue zoners actually eat.

- Wholly whole: agreed. Eat food. A little less. Mostly plants.

- Drink mostly water: I can be better at this but my wife already is. My vice is diet pepsi. I also drink coffee and water. My wife drinks tea and water but no soft drinks. And of course we both drink red wine.

:cheers:

Interesting. There are a lot of similarities to that and how we eat, perhaps other than proportions. Comments from your link:

- Plant-based: we eat a lot of leafy greens and olive oil. More meat than they say, although usually it is fish or chicken or pork with maybe red meat once every 1-2 weeks (having ribs tonight for the 4th, yummmm...)

- Fish: we have it at least once per week. The rest was religious cult stuff.

- Reduce dairy: probably my biggest food vice. I put a little cream in my morning coffee, and love cheese. But this section wasn't compelling -- blue zoners use dairy from goats and sheep, but the Adventists use cow dairy and seem fine.

- Eliminate eggs: this section made no sense except from a religious cult perspective. Blue zoners all eat them. And the diabetes comment about avoiding yolks doesn't compute.

- Beans rock: as I stated earlier, we eat lots of them. Well, not as much as blue zoners, but they are still a decent part of our diet. Hi fiber, low glycemic index. Unless you are starting a keto diet you should get your fiber from beans and legumes.

- Slash sugar: agreed

- Snack on nuts: also agreed. We have a whole cabinet full of different kinds that we snack on if our meal wasn't satisfying enough. The reason is that they are high in fat (and protein) vs. carbs in general. Fat is what satisfies your hunger. This makes me question the 65% carb assertion for this diet, but that is another discussion.

- Sour on bread: Sourdough is my favorite. Interesting that they don't talk about how much bread the blue zoners actually eat.

- Wholly whole: agreed. Eat food. A little less. Mostly plants.

- Drink mostly water: I can be better at this but my wife already is. My vice is diet pepsi. I also drink coffee and water. My wife drinks tea and water but no soft drinks. And of course we both drink red wine.

:cheers:

Why do you question the proportion of carbohydrates? It’s mostly plants, after all.

Agree that the egg rec is less compelling, as is the sourdough bread suggestion. I minimize dairy to limit animal protein intake (could say the same for eggs), plus nut milks are all delicious. (Fire away with the homoerotic nut milk jokes)

Why do you question the proportion of carbohydrates? It’s mostly plants, after all.

Agree that the egg rec is less compelling, as is the sourdough bread suggestion. I minimize dairy to limit animal protein intake (could say the same for eggs), plus nut milks are all delicious. (Fire away with the homoerotic nut milk jokes)

I dunno, things like the nuts which are high in fat and protein. Soy beans have more protein than carbs and a good chunk of fat.

https://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-fresh-or-dried-vegetables-edamame-green-soybeans-boiled_f-ZmlkPTExMTA1OA.html

I can see a lot of people having dairy/lactose problems, but I seem to handle it fine. I would not be surprised if it isn't the best for me though.

I'm open to being wrong, but I believe that carbs fundamentally don't sate you, so I suspect they are eating a higher percentage of things like nuts than are reported.

We've enjoyed nut milks over the years but that is adding to your protein/fat intake, which in turn helps to sate you. So maybe you aren't quite at 65% carbs, just a thought. :thumbsup:

I dunno, things like the nuts which are high in fat and protein. Soy beans have more protein than carbs and a good chunk of fat.

https://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-fresh-or-dried-vegetables-edamame-green-soybeans-boiled_f-ZmlkPTExMTA1OA.html

I can see a lot of people having dairy/lactose problems, but I seem to handle it fine. I would not be surprised if it isn't the best for me though.

I'm open to being wrong, but I believe that carbs fundamentally don't sate you, so I suspect they are eating a higher percentage of things like nuts than are reported.

We've enjoyed nut milks over the years but that is adding to your protein/fat intake, which in turn helps to sate you. So maybe you aren't quite at 65% carbs, just a thought. :thumbsup:

I don’t count calories or macronutrient grams, so I don’t know for sure. But Im fairly certain it is no where near the benchmarks sought by low carbohydrate aficionados, nor the typical Western diet.

And fats/proteins promote satiety better than carbohydrates, but that doesn’t mean you can’t get full off the latter.

If you want good Chinese food, stay in the US.

No, I am not joking or being facetious.

The food here sucks. Panda Express is your friend. If we had one here, it'd be far superior to any other restaurant and I'd go there 2-4 times a week.

If you want good Chinese food, stay in the US.

No, I am not joking or being facetious.

The food here sucks. Panda Express is your friend. If we had one here, I'd go there 2-4 times a week.

i don't know, but i'd be pretty excited to try the food from beijing, shanghai, hong kong, and chengdu