Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

** Round 1 & 2 Commentary - July PPR Mock 2017 **

IMHO pick #8 is just as interesting

Going with the current projections I have it was and easy choice with McCoy as I have him as the 4th best RB and only behind the top 3 WRs which are already gone. I also like having a top RB early so I don't need to stress about the position later.

The only thing that bothers me about McCoy at this spot was his place at #15 overall for RB receiving last year, that and him playing for a pretty bad team, but he essentially IS the offense so that makes it a little better.

From an ADP perspective its the right place, but I am much more tepid on him this year, over the last two years he was on my roster in a number of leagues because he was under valued for the most part, now I sense that he might be over valued.

The only thing that bothers me about McCoy at this spot was his place at #15 overall for RB receiving last year, that and him playing for a pretty bad team, but he essentially IS the offense so that makes it a little better.

From an ADP perspective its the right place, but I am much more tepid on him this year, over the last two years he was on my roster in a number of leagues because he was under valued for the most part, now I sense that he might be over valued.

I can't argue any of your points but I don't see anyone else being better here. Gordon is just as risky to me and I don't see any of the WRs being able to do what McCoy can do.

There is always "that spot" in a draft where you are left picking something that makes you wretch slightly, and I see 1.09 through 2.04 as that gap in the draft where you come away feeling empty no matter what you do.

Which of you use the feature at the top of each "Selection" thread called, "Follow this topic"?

I use it so that the site automatically notifies me when someone has made a selection. I find it very useful to keep track of picks, especially when it gets close to my pick. Try it......you might like it!

FYI, if the draft needs someone to fill in for an owner that's MIA, I'm available.

That would be nice because so far it's at a snail's pace.

There were multiple rbs and receivers I like about the same here. It's all about preference, and even then it can be literally a coin flip.

Why Demarco Murray? Yes he had a slow end to last season. Maybe part of it was the Mariota injury? I think the line should be better, and the receiving options should take pressure off the run. He is also the main receiving back on the team. I see no reason that he isn't one of the safest running backs in the draft. His ceiling is top 3 if there are some injuries at the top.

Nelson has injury history, but when he is playing at 100%, he is unstoppable with Rodgers. Green Bays running backs are..... well maybe I shouldn't give my opinion so I don't spoil someone's pick. Let's just say if I were McCarthy, the offense would be HEAVILY favored toward passing. It sounds obvious, but when we look at how much McCarthy tried to use a power run offense behind Lacy, we start to see that it's not obvious to McCarthy.

I wasn't really planning on taking a second RB and it being Howard but if I'm going BPA off my list then Howard was the pick. Was hoping Jordy or Michael Thomas could fall but I'm happy solidifying my backfield already.

White Wonder foiled my plan by selecting Jay Ajayi one spot in front of me (CURSE YOU WHITEWONDER!!!!), but I'll take Fournette on my squad as a solid #2 RB. I think that he catches waaaay more passes than people expect (35-40?) and he'll probably rush for 1,300-1,400 yards, if Coughlin has anything to say about it. The Jaguars are going to play keep the ball away from Bortles. If Fournette isn't in the top 3 for rushing attempts this season, it means he got hurt, because that is the plan as far as the Jaguars are concerned.

ICEMAN

2.07 is early for Crow, but I like the pick. More for dynasty than redraft, but at the end of the year I see Crow being a top 12 rb.

2.07 is early for Crow, but I like the pick. More for dynasty than redraft, but at the end of the year I see Crow being a top 12 rb.

I really like Crow this year and was hoping to land him as a late RB but I see his ADP has skyrocketed. No way I'm paying that much for him.

I felt if I didn't take him here he wouldn't make it back he does have all the ability to be a top 12 back. High risk/reward pick but that's what you need to do at times.

I can't argue any of your points but I don't see anyone else being better here. Gordon is just as risky to me and I don't see any of the WRs being able to do what McCoy can do.

Gordon would have been my pick, but that's just the way I have them projected.

Ajai probably should have been my pick instead of Hilton to pair with Green, that's a pretty nice start, but I think as a general rule of thumb I'm gonna be staying away from Howard and him personally.

They could do it again no doubt but with one year of track records and after watching early round Rbs crash year after year I become more risk adverse trying to hit doubles and triples more than home runs.

My other thought on them is that they might have won some leagues last year but typically they were late round picks that hit after you already had a real good squad in place.

I'm not quite ready to base my team around them.

okay time for me to chime in. I was pretty busy at work today and also had a midway supplemental baseball draft going on so I was mostly keeping an eye on the picks and making sure not to be the guy who held anything up.

1.8 - Mike Evans ...... I thought he would go 7th and I was expecting to pick AJ Green. So I was pleased to land Evans. I actually have him slightly above Odell ( :o ) based on Odell's dbag factor. A case can even be made for Evans over Julio, even though i'm a big Julio fan but in PPR I'd still take Julio first as TD's are far less reliable.

2.5 - I was going to go totally away from my June Mock strategy with this being PPR and all. If Mulls had gone another way and i was left looking at Hilton AND Ajayi, I may very well have gone Hilton and there are another 1 or 2 players I strongly considered but Ajayai was the last of a tier of RBs for me (ahead of Howard and personally ahead of Murray although with Murray its just more about me not liking his price tag than liking Ajayi over him) and I like Ajayi significantly more than what I feel will be there at 3.8/4.5

.... also for what its worth, Jordy Nelson or Michael Thomas would have definitely been paired with Evans had they unrealistically fell.

I was just so impressed with what Howard was able to do last year as a rookie when teams knew he was getting the rock. It was a very difficult choice between him and Murray. The titans overall power on offense and Murray's receiving ability pushed him higher for me.

• Like 1

I am here, will pick shortly

I had another target planned at this spot, but had not anticipated having access to Cooper, who I think will emerge in production to be a top 10 player this year, so I had to switch to plan #4 in my list, but did so happily....

...and another speedbump.

ICEMAN

Hopkins is one of those players that will likely be on the wrong side of recent-bias, I have to profess that I have him as an avoid unless I am picking in round 3.

Hopkins is one of those players that will likely be on the wrong side of recent-bias, I have to profess that I have him as an avoid unless I am picking in round 3.

I slightly disagree with your thoughts, but I certainly understand how you can arrive at your conclusions.

2.11 is close to round 3, IMO. And, I am thinking Doug will pick up at least 1 WR and Hopkins was the last WR I had rated in Tier 2, so I decided to take him now and not risk Doug taking him.

Also, contract year for Hopkins, so he may have something to prove.

I slightly disagree with your thoughts, but I certainly understand how you can arrive at your conclusions.

2.11 is close to round 3, IMO. And, I am thinking Doug will pick up at least 1 WR and Hopkins was the last WR I had rated in Tier 2, so I decided to take him now and not risk Doug taking him.

Also, contract year for Hopkins, so he may have something to prove.

Agree with your points. I think you picked him at the right spot, based on current ADP. But I have to also assert that come end of the season, his numbers will be 3rd rounder-level.

Zeke, Dez, and Demaryius makes for a safe start, though I would have taken Rodgers had he made it to me.

Is Dez that safe? He is always hurt

2.09: Strongly debated going WR here, but I felt the RB cliff was approaching too rapidly. I didn't feel comfortable with my RB1 being someone outside of Miller or Gurley. And there were (are) a pool of WR that I had grouped together that I thought would still be available in 3.

2.09: Strongly debated going WR here, but I felt the RB cliff was approaching too rapidly. I didn't feel comfortable with my RB1 being someone outside of Miller or Gurley. And there were (are) a pool of WR that I had grouped together that I thought would still be available in 3.

Man I think Miller is just too bland to take as a rb1. His ceiling is really low. All i hear is excuses for why he doesn't produce, when he has had his fair share of touches.

Is Dez that safe? He is always hurt

I'm warm and fuzzy over it. Missed 3 last season, and it was the first year with the new QB and Back. I like that trio this year and feel they compliment each other real well.

Man. Djohns, Gurley and Cooks. I hate that I can never get the 1 spot in redraft

Me too, although my contention would be that I never get the 1 spot in a "real" draft :D

I hear you. He certainly doesn't excite me either. But he put up over 1,200 yards and 31 catches in 14 games. Push those numbers out over 16 games and, I believe, he's a top 10 back.