Sign in to follow this  
Jacmierz

Disabling Tabs (Sheets) so Draft Buddy will run

I have an Intel I-5 processor in my laptop. Late in every fantasy draft in which I use it, Draft Buddy bogs down and skips cell updates. This may have to do with the computational power of my laptop. Nevertheless, is there an approved way to disable some of the tabs to streamline the most important cell updates? Thanks, Mike K.

Hi Jacmierz. Nice to see a little action in the forums. Thanks! I think the first thing to try is to turn automatic calculation to manual, and then periodically hit F10 (pretty sure it is F10 - I am on my Mac) to force it to calculate. Then it isn't trying to update the formulas cells for every draft pick. This would be after your compiled cheatsheets, had the draft going for a bit, so there really shouldn't be much need for the macros at that point. Can you test that out on your computer and let me know what you think? If that doesn't solve it then we will figure out something else.

I just tried setting Draft Buddy to "manual calculation <Excel 2010: formulas--calculation options>. Everytime select a player and push the "Draft Player" button the spreadsheet defaults back to automatic calculation. So...unsuccessful and looking for the next workaround. Thanx in advance.

While drafting, I would like to be able to press " manually calculate" during the frequent beer runs the owners of my league take. It would give the computer time to chug through all the calculations.

BTW I love the Draft Buddy for many reasons and have purchased it since the days of Tub-girl and Nostrodumbass on the FFToday Forum

I am investigating this "turns auto-calc" back on when drafting a player because I don't know why it would do that. Also testing some things and will get back to you. Is this an IDP league?

Okay, I've confirmed it does do that. I probably added that because if you use the Draft Player buttons then it needs to update some calculations to know where to put each subsequent draft pick.

I wonder if after you've compiled cheatsheets for the last time before your draft, if some tabs could be deleted, such as the IDP tabs and/or the "with notes" tabs (assuming you don't use those). Even the "positions" tab is not particularly helpful during the draft, more a post-draft review.

If you want to try it then what I would do is make a backup before deleting any tabs. Then delete some and save as a second copy for ongoing testing. After deleting try whatever normal functions you would use for the draft - Draft Player, Undo Pick, check different tabs, etc. I'm going to do this too and we'll see what happens.

I also find with Excel it can slow down simply from being on for some time, so whether doing the above or not, save DB, close DB, close Excel, re-open everything could in itself be a big benefit in terms or speed.

Did some deleting and there must be a "parent-and-child" relationship with some of the sheets. Am getting run time errors. What are the sheets that you absolutely need to have--sheets to which others refer to for information?

I was thinking the IDP tabs to start. There are 6 - DL, LB, DB, idp-notes, idp, idp depth. If you aren't using IDP then you would have to unhide these tabs and then delete them individually. Excel crashed on me in the middle of deleting them so that was rather annoying but I eventually got them deleted, drafted players, switched between remaining tabs and didn't notice any problems.

Then I deleted the positions tab and it still worked. Then I deleted the off-notes and overall-notes tabs and ran into an error each time I drafted, so don't delete those two. I think that is about the limit of entire tabs you could completely remove. Maybe auction report... and keepers, if you don't have any keepers.

The file reduced size to about 4.5 MB with my changes. You could copy a bunch of players at once off the overall cheatsheet and paste them into the draft report tab to simulate being in the late stages of a draft and see if you notice the performance being any better.

Hope that helps! Tubgirl seems like a lifetime ago :ninja: