Sign in to follow this  
cmh6476

What octane do you go with?

I'm guessing 95% of you billionaires use 91 premium grade

I use 87 in my Honda Civic, 89 in my boat, 93 in my wife's vehicle. They do not sell 91 around here.

Unless your vehicle specifically states a need for higher octane, you are wasting money. It does not help in any way, shape or form.

87 in my truck.

Ethanol free in all my lawn/home equipment.

Something we agree on.

Unless your vehicle specifically states a need for higher octane, you are wasting money. It does not help in any way, shape or form.

Mine says it needs premium, so I use it. But always suspect it is unnecessary.

Use highest available for mine.

87 for wife's Subaru

Ive taken numerous vehicles to 250k+ on 87 octane. Something else besides the engine is broken that makes the vehicle not worth fixing.

This is worse than debating motor oils. If you are REALLY bored, go over to the bobistheoilguy.com forums and check out those guys.

Ive taken numerous vehicles to 250k+ on 87 octane. Something else besides the engine is broken that makes the vehicle not worth fixing.

Obviously it depends on the vehicle.

This I agree with. Its why you see 110 octane in pumps at race track.

Plus it smells good. :wub:

Plus it smells good. :wub:

OMG youre not lying! Nothing like chugging some cheap can beer at the track with the odor of rubber and high octane!

Even the boat engines now have knock sensor's. I would not damage my boat engine running 87, but it would adjust the timing accordingly

That is exactly what I knock sensor does. Well, not the sensor itself, but what the ECM does based on the Knock sensor data.

The premium won't get you any higher HP, though.

That is exactly what I knock sensor does. Well, not the sensor itself, but what the ECM does based on the Knock sensor data.

The premium won't get you any higher HP, though.

Yes it does on my boat engine, it has to adjust the timing when running with 87. The fuel economy is also not as good.

I do not get any better hp or fuel economy running with anything over 89, because I only need 89 to prevent pre-ignition.

This is worse than debating motor oils. If you are REALLY bored, go over to the bobistheoilguy.com forums and check out those guys.

30 years ago, I worked in a machine shop doing valve jobs all day. The absolute worst, caked on gunky sets of heads coming in were all from pennzoil users.

Those all had to go to the vat for a couple hours, then get sand blasted just to clean them up.

Every now and and then, a really clean set would come in and I would ask which oil they used. 100% of the time, the answer was Mobil 1.

• Like 1

Jesus, how old are you and where are you driving? I'm mid 40s, owned five cars in my lifetime (3 used) and never driven a car over 70k miles.

Jesus, how old are you and where are you driving? I'm mid 40s, owned five cars in my lifetime (3 used) and never driven a car over 70k miles.

How long have you lived in Hawaii? Racking up miles is easier to do in the continental US. Especially, if you drive a lot for work or take road trips with the family.

I've never taken a car to 250K miles, but I've had 3 or 4 in the 170-190K range before I sold them.

Having said that, I also leased a car once and kept it under 36K.

How long have you lived in Hawaii? Racking up miles is easier to do in the continental US. Especially, if you drive a lot for work or take road trips with the family.

I've never taken a car to 250K miles, but I've had 3 or 4 in the 170-190K range before I sold them.

Having said that, I also leased a car once and kept it under 36K.

14 years. Still, I spent 15 years driving in the continental US, did two cross country trips, and never sniffed 100K, much less 250k on multiple vehicles.

30 years ago, I worked in a machine shop doing valve jobs all day. The absolute worst, caked on gunky sets of heads coming in were all from pennzoil users.

Those all had to go to the vat for a couple hours, then get sand blasted just to clean them up.

Every now and and then, a really clean set would come in and I would ask which oil they used. 100% of the time, the answer was Mobil 1.

Dirty valves are making a huge comeback thanks to GDI engines and lazy owners.

Good for me, bad for the average newer car owner :banana:

87 in cars... 91 ethanol free in lawn mower and boat

What's the purpose of Ethanol free in Boat and Mower?

What's the purpose of Ethanol free in Boat and Mower?

Wrong question. What is the purpose of the government making us use ethanol in our cars when it is more expensive than gasoline, contains less energy, and inflates the price of food.

Wrong question. What is the purpose of the government making us use ethanol in our cars when it is more expensive than gasoline, contains less energy, and inflates the price of food.

To the best of my knowledge there is zero reason. I';ve heard the stories that it's cleaner, but that goes out the window with the truckers doing the transporting. (?)

eta: I just read that it's not good for smaller engines. Didn't know about that.

Do know that I've had a few cars / trucks in the shop that got focked over with a way too high ethanol / gas mixture. Makes for a difficult diag. sometimes.

220...221....whatever it takes.

:first:

i bought an SUV 5 years ago, pre owned. Had 31k on it. It now has 96k. My previous had 115 when I sold it and the one I had in high school/early college had 138k when the trans was going and it was donated (technically my father owned that car)

Depends on the vehicle :dunno:

Exactly. 87 is the default unless the make/model calls for 93.

All my small engines (lawn mower, generator, weed eater, blower) I use 100% gas,ethanol free.

Mid grade is useless

i bought an SUV 5 years ago, pre owned. Had 31k on it. It now has 96k. My previous had 115 when I sold it and the one I had in high school/early college had 138k when the trans was going and it was donated (technically my father owned that car)

OK. So you've never had a single vehicle with 250k miles either.

The average driver goes 10-15k miles a year. If driven new, it takes over 16 years to get to 250k. So fireball either buys high mileage used vehicles, drives a sh!t ton, or is really old to have multiple vehicles with that many miles.