Sign in to follow this  
jjoel

Keeper advice - L. McCoy or M. Gordon?

I'm in a dynasty league where we keep 3 players each year. I am keeping David Johnson and Julio Jones, and have to pick between Lesean McCoy and Melvin Gordon as my 3rd keeper (yes- my team was stacked and won last year).

I prefer to McCoy to Gordon but he is turning 30 this year. Thoughts?

Thanks!

mccoy can give you more this year. gordon has potential to help you in the future.

imo, hold mccoy.... i imagine your roster will present itself with nice options for next year's keepers.

side question: how is a keeping 3 players a dynasty league?

Well perhaps I'm using the wrong terminology, but we keep three players every year, and the league started in 2005. I've had McCoy since he came into the league.

what is your scoring system and who else is on your roster?

edit: dynasties typically involve an initial draft, with owners keeping the entire (or very high percentage of) that year's team. future drafts consist of rookies. there are often several free agent/ww periods in the offseason.

sometimes they keep free agents separate entirely. sometimes they include them in the rookie drafts.

Gordon - McCoy is old for a RB and has a lot of miles on the tires.

or

Just put them both up for trade. Trade the one you get the best offer for and keep the other.

I'm definitely trading one of them. The only other two players on my roster pre-draft will be the ones I mentioned: Julio Jones and David Johnson. (Thanks for reminding me the difference in that and a Dynasty league)

Scoring system is standard (non-PPR). 1 point for every 10 yards, 6 points for a TD.

I'm definitely trading one of them. The only other two players on my roster pre-draft will be the ones I mentioned: Julio Jones and David Johnson. (Thanks for reminding me the difference in that and a Dynasty league)

Scoring system is standard (non-PPR). 1 point for every 10 yards, 6 points for a TD.

so you have already dumped the other players? i was wondering what the rest of your roster looks like

Oh - gotcha. No, we drop them a week before the draft. Here is my lineup.

EDIT POS PLAYERS ALL
OFFENSE OPP GAME TIME BYE POSRNK OVP OWN START 2016 3YR AVG PROJ
QB Tom Brady QB | NE KC
Thu 8:30pm
9 2 8 100% 88% 328.90 356.70 405.60
RB David Johnson RB | ARI @DET
Sun 1:00pm
8 2 12 100% 99% 329.60 247.20 258.60
RB LeSean McCoy RB | BUF NYJ
6 5 15 99% 99% 251.60 186.80 226.60
WR Dez Bryant WR | DAL NYG
Sun 8:30pm
6 7 15 99% 84% 135.10 139.90 148.60
WR Julio Jones WR | ATL @CHI
5 2 14 99% 70% 180.80 251.60 296.80
TE Jimmy Graham TE | SEA @GB
Sun 4:25pm
6 4 22 98% 84% 123.20 114.00 95.00
RB-WR-TE Melvin Gordon RB | LAC @DEN
Mon 10:20pm
9 4 25 95% 30% 208.80 142.00 200.40
DST Chargers DST | LAC @DEN
9 14 26 71% 50% 187.00 159.00 189.00
K Dan Bailey K | DAL NYG
Sun 8:30pm
6 10 25 90% 78% 138.00 123.00 122.60 RESERVES
QB Philip Rivers QB | LAC @DEN
9 13 1 98% 60% 339.90 337.90 321.00
RB-WR-TE Michael Crabtree WR | OAK @TEN
10 19 31 99% 79% 149.20 131.70 142.00
RB-WR-TE Michael Floyd WR | MIN NO
Mon 7:10pm
9 --- 26 54% 10% 78.00 111.30 41.00
RB-WR-TE DeVante Parker WR | MIA TB
11 35 20 82% 26% 99.60 84.80 102.60
RB-WR-TE Theo Riddick RB | DET ARI
7 44 2 89% 19% 108.00 86.40 106.20
DST Patriots DST | NE KC
Thu 8:30pm
9 8 8 94% 79% 182.00 197.00 218.00

I'm in a dynasty league where we keep 3 players each year. I am keeping David Johnson and Julio Jones, and have to pick between Lesean McCoy and Melvin Gordon as my 3rd keeper (yes- my team was stacked and won last year).

I prefer to McCoy to Gordon but he is turning 30 this year. Thoughts?

Thanks!

At some point you need to cut bait and go with the younger player.

In this case, McCoy I think will put up better numbers than Gordon. But that's not the only thing to consider.

IF

you feel you have a good shot to win this year, McCoy is your choice.

That being said, the dropoff between McCoy and Gordon isnt huge(based on fftoday projections), and you are getting a player with a young line that may bode well for a good, long career for him.

I personally think the dropoff from McCoy to Gordon will be a bit bigger than many are predicting. Gordon still has a (largely) rookie line. one of the new guys is already out for the season, but I do think the line will be better than last year.

I think Gordon will be the better player next season and could be a long term keeper. It's tough to let that get away from you for the price of a few fantasy points this year. I would keep Gordon.

it likely wont show until midseason when that line starts to gel and come together as a unit, but I think Gordons numbers will be a bit better than last year (if he stays healthy)

I don't like McCoy's injury history or his age and mileage. Plus, Gordon has literally, NOBODY behind him.

I'd keep Gordon.

I don't like McCoy's injury history or his age and mileage. Plus, Gordon has literally, NOBODY behind him.

I'd keep Gordon.

while I like Gordon better as a keeper, he hasnt been the picture of health either. he's played 2 pro seasons and has missed at least a couple of games each year.

it's not to the point where I'd severely drop him down my rankings, but it's definitely something to be aware of.

I don't trust Gordon at all. While he did a lot better "in fantasy" last year, he still wasn't able to run for 4 ypc. This year, I'm not as sold as others about the line being better. Yeah, I know they added Okung, but adding a second and third rounder and subtracting an expected starter and poof, your line is better. I also don't think Gordon is all that good of a running back. I trust McCoy more. I also think that you'll be able to draft a player this year who could be a better keeper than Gordon more easily than you could draft one better than McCoy.

The new Chargers coach is trying to instill more "Physicality" on the team and places a premium on the run game. I think Gordon will see a tick up in production.

By the way, that coach, Anthony Lynn, was instrumental in the leading rushing team in the NFL last year, (wouldn't you know it)... the Buffalo Bills... McCoy's team.

Not an easy decision by any means. But since I think they are close this year, I think the youth factor tips the scales in Gordon's favor. I actually had Gordon higher before the injury to Forrest Lamp.

The new Chargers coach is trying to instill more "Physicality" on the team and places a premium on the run game. I think Gordon will see a tick up in production.

By the way, that coach, Anthony Lynn, was instrumental in the leading rushing team in the NFL last year, (wouldn't you know it)... the Buffalo Bills... McCoy's team.

Not an easy decision by any means. But since I think they are close this year, I think the youth factor tips the scales in Gordon's favor. I actually had Gordon higher before the injury to Forrest Lamp.

yeah, losing him was a crushing blow.

but Lamp was still a rookie, and subject to making rookie mistakes. Most o Linemen take a full year to get to a point where they are reliable in there.

Now I think it's safe to say it will be at least a year until we can see what he can do.