Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Floyd Mayweather - History of domestic violence

From 2015

Mayweather has a long history of domestic violence.

Since 2002 Mayweather has been accused of violence against women with alarming frequency. He pleaded guilty in two of those incidents, and in another he was convicted only to have the charges dismissed four years later. The most recent incident, in which he hit his ex-girlfriend in front of two of their children at 5 a.m. in 2010, resulted in a 90-day prison sentence.
Those three incidents:
1. Over a five-month span in 2001 and 2002 he pleaded guilty to two counts of battery domestic violence, a search of his criminal record on the Clark County website shows. He received 48 hours of community service and two days of house arrest. Three other charges — stalking, obstruction of a police officer, and violation of a protective order — were dismissed.
According to the Las Vegas Review-Journal, Melissa Brim, the mother of Mayweather's oldest daughter, was the victim. She later claimed in a lawsuit that Mayweather "swung open a car door, hitting her jaw, pushed her into the car and punched her several times in the face and body," the Review-Journal reports.
That lawsuit was dismissed in 2003, according to the Review-Journal.
In the press conference for his 2002 fight against Jose Luis Castillo, Mayweather was asked about the conviction and said, "Everybody that knows Floyd Mayweather, knows I'm a good guy. I have never been to jail."
2. In November 2003 Mayweather was arrested and charged with two counts of battery for allegedly fighting with two women at a Las Vegas nightclub. He was later convicted of misdemeanor battery and ordered to serve 100 hours of community service, the Associated Press reported at the time. According to the AP, one of the accusers, Herneatha McGill, testified that Mayweather "punched [her] on the cheek, and then punched [Kaara] Blackburn on the back of the head as she tried to help her friend."
A search of Mayweather's criminal record shows these charges were "dismissed per negotiation" in 2008.
3. In December 2011, Mayweather pleaded guilty to one count of misdemeanor battery domestic violence and no contest to two counts of harassment for hitting the mother of three of his children. He was sentenced to 90 days in jail and released after 60 days.
According to the arrest report, the victim, Josie Harris, got home at 2:30 a.m. on a night in September 2010 to find Mayweather talking to their two sons. The two got into a verbal altercation and Harris called the police, the report said.
The police report said Mayweather left after the police arrived, but returned at 5 a.m. with his friend James McNair.
Harris told police that she woke up to Mayweather standing over her reading her text messages. When she admitted she was dating someone, he allegedly started hitting her.
Harris told police that Mayweather hit her in the back of the head, pulled her off a couch by her hair, and told her, "I'm going to kill you and the man you're messing with."
One of Mayweather's sons saw the fight, ran out of the house, and alerted a friend of his mother's, who called the police, according to the police report.
Harris told Yahoo's Martin Rogers in 2013, "Did he beat me to a pulp? No, but I had bruises on my body and contusions and [a] concussion because the hits were to the back of my head. I believe it was planned to do that … because the bruises don't show …"
Harris had "redness on her face and a large contusion to the right side of her forehead and chin" when she was examined at the hospital, according to the incident report.
Mayweather Promotions did not respond to our requests for comment on this story.
Outside of these three incidents, Mayweather has been accused of domestic violence numerous other times. Deadspin published an exhaustive report of these accusations in 2014. According to their report, Mayweather has been accused of violence against women seven times in the last 13 years, including a 2005 incident where he was found not guilty of battery after Harris recanted an allegation that he hit and kicked her outside a club.
Despite his 2011 guilty plea, Mayweather recently told Yahoo's Katie Couric that he doesn't beat women.
About the Josie Harris incident, he told Couric:
"Did I kick, stomp and beat someone? No, that didn’t happen. I look in your face and say, 'No, that didn’t happen.' Did I restrain a woman that was on drugs? Yes, I did. So if they say that’s domestic violence, then, you know what? I’m guilty. I’m guilty of restraining someone."
Harris has since relocated to California with their three children. She told Rogers, now of USA Today, "I was a battered woman. I felt embarrassed about saying I was a battered woman. I felt shame. I felt like it was my fault. What did I do? I didn't understand what a battered woman was at that time. Now I know I was in a very dysfunctional, hostile relationship and a victim of domestic violence."
Mayweather has avoided the sort of public scorn that high-profile athletes accused of domestic violence have faced. Boxing is a niche sport, and doesn't have the sort of authoritative governing body that can meaningfully punish a figure like Mayweather.
Now, before the rare fight that will draw in non-boxing fans, awareness of Mayweather's domestic violence history is starting to go mainstream.

What a piece of chit and some of you fools are going to add to it by stuffing his pockets with more money. :thumbsdown:

I'll be stealing it using the firestick stuck in a hotel this weekend, son has a basketball tourney.

No cash from me but, no chance I miss it.

Hey, he's still gonna hit b!tches if he's poor. At least this way they get paid a little.

Most of this payday is going to the IRS anyway from what I read. So it's your patriotic duty to watch.

I protested his domestic violence by not watching his second Maidana fight. It's unreasonable to ask me to keep protesting forever.

Would be so great to see McGregor knock his ass out. Prolly won't happen but I can dream...

I barely give a crap what these guys do in their personal life. They are around for my entertainment purposes only.

If Rizzo was kicking puppies I'd be like oh man that's stinks but oh look he just hit a 425 ft home run to take the lead. Atta boy.

I'm not only giving him money, I'm hoping he beats the snot out of McGregor.

I bet those fights with his wimmen were more entertaining than his last 5 pay per views.

• Like 1

FFT is like Catholicism

hypocrisy knows no bounds.

FFT is like Catholicism

I'd love to see the #'s of all those who are either paying to see this fight, or going somewhere to spend money and watch - who also had their panties up in arms over Kaep.

I'd love to see the #'s of all those who are either paying to see this fight, or going somewhere to spend money and watch - who also had their panties up in arms over Kaep.

the hypocrisy is unfocking believable

FFT is like Catholicism

I don't expect guys that play gladiator sports to be choir boys.

the hypocrisy is unfocking believable

Do you really not see the difference?

Mayweather is a dooshbag in his personal life. At the end of the day, it's not really any of my concern what happens between him and his women.

Kaepernick CHOSE to interject his beliefs into his workplace. He CHOSE to publicly and deliberately offend millions of people to make a social statement. By doing so he invites whatever backlash he gets.

Kaep is the better person. But the situations are not apples to apples.

You wanna compare mayweather to ray rice? That works.

Do you really not see the difference?

Mayweather is a dooshbag in his personal life. At the end of the day, it's not really any of my concern what happens between him and his women.

Kaepernick CHOSE to interject his beliefs into his workplace. He CHOSE to publicly and deliberately offend millions of people to make a social statement. By doing so he invites whatever backlash he gets.

Kaep is the better person. But the situations are not apples to apples.

You wanna compare mayweather to ray rice? That works.

I'm saying the hypocrisy to line his pockets with $, knowing what a piece of chit he is.

If only there was violence during his fights. :dunno:

:first:

I'm saying the hypocrisy to line his pockets with $, knowing what a piece of chit he is.

In the modern world, damn near every dollar you spend goes to a piece of sh!t.

Some d!ckbag CEO who outsourced to child labor. Scumbag athletes and entertainers. Some company who gets your money through a virtual monopoly they bought from congress. The crooks at pharma, insurance, etc. industries. It never ends.

• Like 1

i think macgregor knocks him out. more money for rematch.

Conspiracy Theory:

Look... I don't watch MMA or whatever the fock it's called... but it pretty popular even though it's still "fringe" a bit.

If a top fighter from MMA (or whatever) beats a known, elite, all time great boxer - it legitimizes the sport - mainstreams it a bit more - and that's a big pay day.

Follow the money... the fix is in... and MMA/UFC supplants the corrupt/s!tty world of boxing.

Conspiracy Theory:

Look... I don't watch MMA or whatever the fock it's called... but it pretty popular even though it's still "fringe" a bit.

If a top fighter from MMA (or whatever) beats a known, elite, all time great boxer - it legitimizes the sport - mainstreams it a bit more - and that's a big pay day.

Follow the money... the fix is in... and MMA/UFC supplants the corrupt/s!tty world of boxing.

I just don't see how they'd ever get Mayweather to agree. Regardless of money. Never once beaten. Never even hurt. Barely touched. Certainly in the argument for best boxer of all-time. To fight some MMA guy who's never been a boxer and to get knocked out by him? That would tarnish everything he ever accomplished. I think Mayweather has too much pride to ever agree to that. I don't care if he was guaranteed a billion dollars.

Big fights draw. Kap does not nor did the 9ers as of late.

What is your point? We aren't boycotting watching Kap if he were playing.

Conspiracy Theory:

That's not Mayweathers style he is ultra competitive, loves his perfect record, is venturing into more businesses, cares about his healthy and brain damage.

Mayweather is taking this fight because it is the easiest fight for the most money. No other boxer out there would draw a quarter of what this will draw and they are much tougher fights....a guy like Thurman.

Mayweather is from a boxing family. He isn't handing boxing over to the UFC.

So we're boycotting this "fight" ? Count me in!

I have a get-together early that night with high school classmates. The establishment we will be at is not showing the fight, but I'd venture to say we will be leaving long before the fight takes place. It's possible that we'll stop somewhere on our way home and watch it. I'd pay 15-20 bucks to watch if we're not tired. But I'm not planning my night around it. I really think it may be kind of boring. I guess it depends on how much of a business partner-role these two guys have formed. If Mayweather wants to carry him and make it a decent show, it'll be boring. If there's any genuine dislike from the trash talking and Mayweather feels disrespected, it'll be fun to watch him show what a true champion boxer can do to an MMA guy. I'd love if it was personal and Mayweather destroys him.

:first:

I've never watched one of his fights. Does he do this in every fight? And if so, how is that legal and why would anyone spend money to watch that?

I've never watched one of his fights. Does he do this in every fight? And if so, how is that legal and why would anyone spend money to watch that?

this is what most boxers do when in trouble. Over the past 20 years or so.

Nothing new

this is what most boxers do when in trouble. Over the past 20 years or so.

Nothing new

Must have been why I quit watching.

I'll be stealing it using the firestick stuck in a hotel this weekend, son has a basketball tourney.

No cash from me but, no chance I miss it.

Which service? Phoenix?

Why I'm hoping Mcgregor connects. It's really that simple.

Oh I hope Mcgregor knocks Floyd into next month. But I don't see it happening.

I would love to see the bell ring and mcgregor just launch a flying knee to floyds face, take the loss to DQ, and drop the mike.

I'm rooting just for something crazy/entertaining to happen if I do watch it. Mcgregor goes AWOL. Mayweather makes him look real stupid or KO's him. Conor KO's Floyd. A royal rumble corner clearing brawl.

But it has a good chance of being a snooze. I think Mayweather can get him out of there in the mid rounds if he wants to. But if he doesn't really care to do that then it will be a snoozer.