Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Blake Bortles - officially benched for Chad Henne

:lol:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20440273/jacksonville-jaguars-made-mistakes-blake-bortles-headed-bench-no-clear-answers-2017-nfl

The Jacksonville Jaguars haven't broken up with Blake Bortles, but they sure seem to be on the way to splitsville. Coach Doug Marrone opened up the team's quarterback competition after a disastrous summer for Bortles, who struggled mightily in practice and looked out of sorts during Jacksonville's first two preseason contests. On Wednesday night, Marrone named longtime backup Chad Henne the starter for the third preseason game, which traditionally sets the starting lineup for the regular season.
At the very least, the Bortles Era in Jacksonville is on life support, just one year after many folks expected Bortles to take a leap toward stardom, with most NFL executives moving Bortles toward the second tier of Mike Sando's QB rankings last year. Now, it looks like Bortles will be riding the pine for the foreseeable future.

It may even be worse. The Jags picked up Bortles' 5th year option for next season which is guaranteed for injury. So, if they let him play and he gets injured, but can't pass a physical in March, they still owe him the money (I think that it is $19M). So, you could see them sit Bortles and play Henne just so that Bortles can't get injured and have them on the hook for next year too. If he does not get injured, they can cut him in the offseason with his 2018 salary not being guaranteed.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/23/its-now-clear-the-jaguars-bungled-the-bortles-option/

I drafted this turd AND Johnny Manziel in dynasty that year. Traded manziel for Peyton Manning and won a championship that year. Pretty sure that was the impetus and/or motivation for CBF's incredible run in that league. :lol:

I went to Seminole High School 2004-2008 which is a rival of Oviedo High School where Bortles attended. Watch him play a few times. We always had their number until Bortles went there. I was the only one of my friends saying he wouldn't make it in the NFL. He's done.

Wasn't he not that bad 2 years ago? At least his stats were decent, right?

On the titans forum, they call him garbage time Jesus. He hung up a lot of stats when the games were out of reach. He does have some good receivers, and they were behind pretty much perpetually.

On the titans forum, they call him garbage time Jesus. He hung up a lot of stats when the games were out of reach. He does have some good receivers, and they were behind pretty much perpetually.

Gotcha. I just remember that he had 30+ td passes but obviously I'm not watching a Jags game willingly so thanks for the context.

For $18 mil, play me and I'll fake an injury

What would happen if they bench him, and he gets hurt of the field?

For 19 mil, Id dive down the focking staircase.

Wasn't he not that bad 2 years ago? At least his stats were decent, right?

He wasn't good then and he's taken a huge step backwards since. Poor bastard. By all accounts he is a likable guy

He wasn't good then and he's taken a huge step backwards since. Poor bastard. By all accounts he is a likable guy

so isn't Kaepernick

I thought Bortes was going to be good. He must have nothing between the ears.

What does this do for Allen Robinson?

Jax still has a ton of Cap Space, as well as some really solid unassuming talent.. Romo could have looked really good in a Jags' jersey.

• Like 1

Jax still has a ton of Cap Space, as well as some really solid unassuming talent.. Romo could have looked really good in a Jags' jersey.

He would wouldn't he? He would fit in great in Jax too.

so isn't Kaepernick

Possibly the biggest backward step I ever remembered. At least RG3's was due to injury. Kaep was awesome that one year. Then reeked of suckiness.

Bortles at his worst (which isn't terrible) is miles better than Henne. Jax has already packed it in for next year's QB derby.

I drafted this turd AND Johnny Manziel in dynasty that year. Traded manziel for Peyton Manning and won a championship that year. Pretty sure that was the impetus and/or motivation for CBF's incredible run in that league. :lol:

That....along with my eye for talent, nose for the deal, devilish good looks, style, coaching, and the fact that God just wants me to win everything all of the time...but yeah definitely.

Browns will be making another move by offering up Brock Assoiler to some team for maybe a third rounder. Sashi brown could be a genius.

Marrone names Blake Bortles Week 1 starter

Jaguars coach Doug Marrone named Blake Bortles his Week 1 starter.

What? Demoted behind Chad Henne before the third preseason game, Bortles did lead two touchdown drives against backups on Thursday night, but the realities of his slow release and inaccuracy did not change. It is also odd to very publicly demote a quarterback only to name him the starter days later. That said, Henne is clearly just a No. 2, and Jacksonville is not going anywhere with him under center. That is likely also true of Bortles, but maybe it makes sense to give him a chance.

Chad Henne is still the first or second best Michigan QB of the last 35 years, so he's got that going for him.

Isn't Coughlin heading up football operations in Jax now? Surely he can see he's got big qb trouble.

Jacksonville's D is going to win that team 5-6 games on its own this year.

Browns will be making another move by offering up Brock Assoiler to some team for maybe a third rounder. Sashi brown could be a genius.

Not getting close to a 3rd for Brock.

Maybe a 7th.

Isn't Coughlin heading up football operations in Jax now? Surely he can see he's got big qb trouble.

Never pass up a chance, do you?

Never pass up a chance, do you?

The fact you see this as a dig and not a genuine football comment tells you everything you need to know about how clueless you truly are.

Speaking of passing up chances, you have what, 2 or 3 in other threads the last few days? Please deny it and make a bet, let's try for 2 months this time.

The fact you see this as a dig and not a genuine football comment tells you everything you need to know about how clueless you truly are.

Speaking of passing up chances, you have what, 2 or 3 in other threads the last few days? Please deny it and make a bet, let's try for 2 months this time.

I'm fairly certain Coach Coughlin is aware of his problems at the posistion, but good of you to ask. 2 or 3 what?

I'm fairly certain Coach Coughlin is aware of his problems at the posistion, but good of you to ask. 2 or 3 what?

That's just it, Coughlin being who he is, seems out of character for him to have let his qb situation turn into this kind of a mess.. I'm sure he's comforted to know (though) you're out there trolling for his defense, at even the slightest hint, that somebody dare say anything bad about him - even as misguided as that may be.

2 or 3 digs at the Boys - which isn't out of the normal, Dallas consumes you. Jerry and that Star are living rent free - still.

That's just it, Coughlin being who he is, seems out of character for him to have let his qb situation turn into this kind of a mess.. I'm sure he's comforted to know (though) you're out there trolling for his defense, at even the slightest hint, that somebody dare say anything bad about him - even as misguided as that may be.

2 or 3 digs at the Boys - which isn't out of the normal, Dallas consumes you. Jerry and that Star are living rent free - still.

2 or 3. Not a chance.

The Jags are smart enough to realize Bortles isn't their guy after just 3 years, despite throwing 35 TDs in 2016.

Yet, my Dolphins were on the verge of letting Ryan Tannehill start his 6th season, even though his stats have consistently been garbage.?. I'd consider Borles an upgrade over Tannehill.

Luckily, the football gods put a stop to the Tannehill "potential" insanity. I only wish his leg had gotten amputated.

The Jags are smart enough to realize Bortles isn't their guy after just 3 years, despite throwing 35 TDs in 2016.

Yet, my Dolphins were on the verge of letting Ryan Tannehill start his 6th season, even though his stats have consistently been garbage.?. I'd consider Borles an upgrade over Tannehill.

Luckily, the football gods put a stop to the Tannehill "potential" insanity. I only wish his leg had gotten amputated.

No we're not, Bortles was named the starter week one

No we're not, Bortles was named the starter week one

Apparently.

Still, if Bortles had recorded 5 seasons of Tannehill's stats he'd already be canned. No team would put up with that for so long. Not even the Browns.