Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Man exonerated after 25 years seeks $125 million from Detroit

Like Detroit can afford that :lol:

http://fox17online.com/2017/08/24/man-exonerated-after-25-years-seeks-millions-from-detroit/

DETROIT, Mich. — A Detroit man who served 25 years in prison for murder based on sham evidence has filed a lawsuit seeking $125 million.
Desmond Ricks was released in May after making the extraordinary claim that Detroit police framed him for the fatal shooting of Gerry Bennett outside a restaurant in 1992. Ricks was 27 years old at the time, according to FOX 2 Detroit.
An analysis of two bullets shows they didn’t match a gun that was presented as the murder weapon.
Attorney Wolfgang Mueller says Ricks was a victim of “horrific” misconduct. He filed a lawsuit in federal court Wednesday on behalf of Ricks and two daughters. A message seeking comment was left with the Detroit law department Thursday.
At trial, prosecutors said a gun belonging to Ricks’ mother was used in the slaying. But tests on bullets still in police storage eliminated any connection.
The Associated Press contributed to this report

There is NO amount of money worth 25 years getting it in the can, when you're innocent.

125 million is a decent starting point, I pose.

Took them 25 years to figure out the bullets weren't from the same gun? :huh:

Like Detroit can afford that :lol:

http://fox17online.com/2017/08/24/man-exonerated-after-25-years-seeks-millions-from-detroit/

There is NO amount of money worth 25 years getting it in the can, when you're innocent.

125 million is a decent starting point, I pose.

It should be whatever you would have made during that period then double it.

NFW does this guy deserve $12.5 million let alone 10X that.

fock that.

just mental suffering alone is worth no amount I can think of

What do you make?

Fock it I'll do it for you and prove you dumb.

100,000 x 25 years x 2 = 5 mill. You go sit in jail for 25 years and I'll write you a check for 5 mil when you get out. Go ahead, that's all you are worth.

Nah, fock that, he lost 25 years. I don't care what he might have made.

• Like 1

What do you make?

Fock it I'll do it for you and prove you dumb.

100,000 x 25 years x 2 = 5 mill. You go sit in jail for 25 years and I'll write you a check for 5 mil when you get out. Go ahead, that's all you are worth.

$5,000,000 that's tax free....................

I bet you he settles for that or less.

You are nuts.

I didn't say I'd volunteer for it. I'm basing it on what the guy was likely to contribute to society and how he should be compensated for that mistake the city made.

Meh, he would have ended up in jail for something else anyway. :Mr-T:

He deserves every penny. I'm always against frivolous lawsuits, but to get 1/3 of your life taken away? Screw that.

Desmond Ricks?

Black

Detroit?

He was guilty of something.

doesn't matter

I didn't say I'd volunteer for it. I'm basing it on what the guy was likely to contribute to society and how he should be compensated for that mistake the city made.

Million a year. 25 mil if im making the rules.

Desmond Ricks?

Detroit?

He was guilty of something.

Yeah, I apply the Mike Tyson thought process. He didn't rape that particular girl, but he got away with numerous acts of savegry. He still has to get something though. A cell phone, some newports and a Cadillac would put him ahead of the game.

His other choice was living in Detroit for those 25 years.

• Like 1

Million a year. 25 mil if im making the rules.

If it's me, it's as I said.

Brilliant doctor or someone who was likely to contribute greatly to society would get a bigger settlement than some street urchin.

and whoever is responsible for putting him in jail, assuming he/she is still alive should do some time.

Should be 1 million a year for anyone wrongly sent to prison or jail.

If I got sent to prison for 25 years today and lost those 25 years with my kid a billion dollars would not be enough.

$5,000,000 that's tax free....................

I bet you he settles for that or less.

Not going to take that bet, looks like MI law limits it 1.25M

Article was written Jan 23.

A new law going into effect in March will compensate people who have been exonerated after serving time in prison.

Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder signed the legislation into law on Dec. 21. It goes into effect 90 days later on March 21. It requires the state pay $50,000 for each year a wrongfully convicted person is imprisoned.

Those seeking relief have three years after the date of exoneration to file a request for payment. Those exonerated prior to the legislation’s enactment have three years following the implementation date to file a claim.

Again, tax free.

Fock yeah..............most people would settle for that amount in a heartbeat.

No they wouldn't. You live the majority of your prime in focking prison getting beat up and buttfocked.

Hell, Id be 62 years old, and probably completely focked up for life. I'll pass on that 7 mil.

No they wouldn't. You live the majority of your prime in focking prison getting beat up and buttfocked.

Hell, Id be 62 years old, and probably completely focked up for life. I'll pass on that 7 mil.

I guess you guys aren't understanding what I'm saying.

I'm not saying people would volunteer to give up 25 years of their lives in exchange for that amount. It's about being in that guy's shoes and what you'd take. A black guy from the streets of Detroit would most certainly take $5,000,000 tax free.

I guess you guys aren't understanding what I'm saying.

I'm not saying people would volunteer to give up 25 years of their lives in exchange for that amount. It's about being in that guy's shoes and what you'd take. A black guy from the streets of Detroit would most certainly take $5,000,000 tax free.

Idiot

You forgot to login as Sho Nuff before you posted this.

Not going to take that bet, looks like MI law limits it 1.25M

Article was written Jan 23.

Amazing MI limits your window to file to 3 years when the statute of limitations is 7. Should have 7 years from exoneration to file

But he could've been Obama's son or brother.

They should award him the money and then take it out of the Police pension fund so every cop has to pay for it.

That way, in the future, cops won't be so eager to help sweep it under the rug.

They should award him the money and then take it out of the Police pension fund so every cop has to pay for it.

Ok. Let's apply that to all professions then. Especially people that play at make believe shooting.

You're assuming this was the police framing him based on his lawyer's words. The way I read it is the bullets didn't match the gun. This would make me consider if technology 25 years ago was accurate and whether they just arrested the wrong person. Doesn't the prosecution attorney have an ethical responsibility that the gun matches the bullets? Did the defense do a good job at pointing this out? Did the judge make a ruling and allow this circumstantial evidence to ne admitted? All I'm saying is the guy appears to have been wronged. Proving who is responsible is quite tough based on the press release.

You're assuming this was the police framing him based on his lawyer's words. The way I read it is the bullets didn't match the gun. This would make me consider if technology 25 years ago was accurate and whether they just arrested the wrong person. Doesn't the prosecution attorney have an ethical responsibility that the gun matches the bullets? Did the defense do a good job at pointing this out? Did the judge make a ruling and allow this circumstantial evidence to ne admitted? All I'm saying is the guy appears to have been wronged. Proving who is responsible is quite tough based on the press release.

If you go to jail for 25 years because of a mistake, you deserve millions. If you go to jail for 25 years because you were framed, you deserve many, many more millions and everyone involved should go to jail for life.

If you go to jail for 25 years because of a mistake, you deserve millions. If you go to jail for 25 years because you were framed, you deserve many, many more millions and everyone involved should go to jail for life.

Don't disagree with you. My statement is about who exactly is responsible. Was he framed by law enforcement or not was my point. He should be compensated no question.

Don't disagree with you. My statement is about who exactly is responsible. Was he framed by law enforcement or not was my point. He should be compensated no question.

Yeah. I didn't read your post carefully, but I thought I was agreeing with you.

Coleman Young was mayor 25 years ago. I didn't realize the police were allowed to arrest anybody back then.

Oh, wait this guy was innocent which means he wasn't part of the mayor's voter base. Makes more sense now.