Sign in to follow this  
Phil Simms 11

Waiver with budget

Never played in a league before with a budget assigned to waivers. What is the strategy difference with budget based waivers? If a key guy comes available early in the season do you blow most of your budget?

I know it varies by league, just trying to get a feel for what reasonable bids would be and how people decide on bid as % of budget. I guess some articles or valuations come out weekly for waiver picks which estimate costs?

Playing in yahoo w/300 budget

Early in the year, the potential studs that emerge go for 25-35% of the budget. By the end of the year percentages tend to go out the window and it comes down to who still has a decent bank roll. my strategy is to not bid what a player will go for, but what that person is worth to my team. If my team is looking strong early, I'll be out bid a lot early in the year and save my budget for a late year pick up that can win a championship. Most of your budget will probably be used on three or four pick ups through the year.

• Like 1

The good pickups are fairly early and by mid-year thar usually isn't much gold left to be unearthed.

Budget accordingly.

• Like 1

FAAB is awesome. It's another competition within your league. But don't get caught up in the feeling. And try to know your league well enough to understand the market you're playing it. FAAB is one way to make your league it's own special thing. No one is going to be able to tell you exactly how much to spend every week on players. They'll put you in the range but it's on you. Again...it's awesome.

But don't get caught up in the feeling! Aka try to not get yourself into situations where you 'have to have' week 7's #1 free agent pickup. It's expensive and the range of outcomes is everything from Jay Ajayi to Knile Davis. Oh boy...remember Knile Davis last year? Sammie Coates? Meanwhile, Tyrell Williams was lightly pawed at in multiple leagues after week 1 last year and it turned it amazingly well.

Try to be a week early. It's cheaper. Stay in touch with your needs. Bye week needs. 'One rolled ankle away' needs. 'My 2nd wr is DJax and I don't like that needs. My kicker sucks needs. My defense plays New England in the playoffs needs. Needs.

• Like 1

I'll agree with most of what has been said, I'll add...

- like w/other aspects of your league...know your league mates. this may take some time but some ppl are tight, some are aggressive...will help with bidding and who

- may have to do some 'price is right' bidding, as in expect a player to go for 25, then bid 26

- keep track of how much each owner has left from week to week, agan helps with bidding as you have better idea of how much to bid and which owners you could likely be bidding against