Sign in to follow this  
seh2000

Roster Management - IR spot with Player now Questionable

Our league (with ESPN) has 2 IR spots that is only available to place a guy on it when ESPN has them noted as OUT.

If a guy is on your IR slot and now it say Questionable do you have any rules in place that you must make a decision in X amount of days?

If you attempt to pickup a player with a "questionable" player on IR it will tell you that you have an illegal roster spot and will prevent it until you adjust your roster.

What do you guys do and is it scouts honor or as commish, do you manage it?

We don't have any rules reagrding this. The fact you can't add any FA's until you make a decision is enough.

We don't have any rules reagrding this. The fact you can't add any FA's until you make a decision is enough.

Thx for the reply. One question to that is lets say you dont need to pick someone up, you technically would be holding say 2 WR (or whatever) that others could possibly claim on waivers for weeks. In your mind, does that seem fair or would you recommend a change?

In the auction league I'm in we don't go by any designation on players updated in ESPN or wherever. We have IR spots but not meaning 'injured reserve'. Ours is 'inactive reserve'. Inactive in our league means, they are on that designation, determined by the owner, and then the player on IR only hits the against the cap at half price of amount paid. That way if someone is suspended, out, or even just playing poorly, we can put them there and save on the cap hit and pick up someone else to put on the bench or play.

Not much help to what you are asking, but I don't like going off of league designations especially when you only have 2 spots. Are you in a 14 or 16 team league? Then that might make sense. I'm only in a 10 teamer so we have large benches and IR spots which only makes sense.

We've had an IR for longer than Yahoo has had formal IR spots, so we use the same rules we've always used.

You can place a player on IR once he is listed as Out. And we never made that limited to an official Yahoo/NFL 'O' designation (because sometimes Yahoo is slow to change the status)--if the team announces he's not playing due to injury, you can designate as IR. And you can keep him on IR until he plays again. Once he plays, you have until his next game to add him back to your team. If you don't add him back after that week, you have dropped him.

So, guy is listed as out for week 4. As soon as they announce it, you put him on IR. If he plays in week 5, you have until his week 6 game to add him back to your squad (unless he gets listed as Out again in that time frame, restarting the sequence). If you don't add him before week 6, he's dropped and anyone can submit a waiver claim for him.

Before Yahoo made IR spots part of their system, we would just drop the player and note in an IR message thread that he was on IR.

So all of that to answer the question. Now with official IR spots, Yahoo still only allows a player to be in that spot if he's 'Out'. We've kept our same rule though. So we can use the IR slot much of the time, but we still sometimes end up dropping the player and notifying the league that he's officially on your IR (because he still hasn't played yet, but he's officially 'Questionable'--Hogan is on my IR but dropped and visible in the free agent pool for that very reason).

It occasionally leads to someone erroneously adding a player who was on someone else's IR. Maybe once a season (this season was the first time it was me...doh). When that happens, as soon as I'm alerted I reverse the transaction and notify the offending owner (just so he can make other changes and knows it happened, there's no penalty). If you burned a waiver priority, the transaction still gets reversed but we leave the new waiver ranking the way it is. It's too difficult to reverse when multiple teams were making claims, and so we just shrug our shoulders about that and say "welp, that's why you should check the IR list" :)

I allow anyone who is common sense doubtful. Since the nfl removed the doubtful tag its a judgement call. When they practice they have to come off.