Sign in to follow this  
ToadSprocket

Rats

and not just their ass.

I can't remember ever living somewhere where their was Rats or just one Rat or even Mice (mouse).

Talking about rodents.

Wondering if any of you guys have this type problem. Or ever have.

So, a few days ago I went to a lady's SFD to see if she needed a new HVAC system.

Like always, I went to the Furnace / Air Handler to get the pertinent information like CFMs, BTU etc.

Obviously you must slide the lower door open to see the manufacturer's info tag.

I did (and you can see where this is going) I was down on my knees and popped the door open and a f*cking Rat jumped out AND LANDED ON ME !!!

J*sus C*rist, nothing like that has ever happened to me. I swiped at it but it was already off me and ran to a corner of the Basement and with no place there to hide, it finally found a chair to get under out of sight.

I did the only thing I could do. I left and sent one of our 'old country boys' (employee) there to get the information I needed.

Any Rat stories here?

My house is 200 yards from a field, 2 fields in fact..... Rats run all thru the yards here at night, some big ones too.. But they are field rats, it is what it is - no getting rid of them, they feed on dog food and other stuff in the yards.

We sort of have a deal: long as they don't bother me, I won't go about killing them... So far it's worked out.

Living in the country I encountered them once as they were setting up house out by the back of my garage and dog pen.I had read you could smoke them out so I get the bright idea of these 5 minute smoke cans I sell in fireworks.Didn't even think about this method freaking my dog out and he bolted for the highway and was hit and killed,never forgiven myself :(

Anyhow,now I was pissed because the smoke method was unsuccessful so I bought these traps that the little fockers walk on and get stuck to and killed about 6 of them.Never seen any again.

Thanks for making me relive killing my dog.

When I was in HS I worked at a local pharmacy (Drug Store we called it)...picture a CVS, Walgreens, Rite-Aid, etc but locally owned. Anyway, our warehouse had a "basement" where they kept the pharmacy records. Every once in a while we would have to retrieve a record. This "basement" was more like a cellar...trapdoor, wooden steps, one light fixture that you had to have a flashlight to find the string to pull....My buddy was down there as I was on my way down the steps he turns the light on, a rat jumps off a shelf, lands on his chest for a millisecond and then propels himself off and scurries away. It was the day I learned what the phrase "white as a ghost" truly meant.

Living in the country I encountered them once as they were setting up house out by the back of my garage and dog pen.I had read you could smoke them out so I get the bright idea of these 5 minute smoke cans I sell in fireworks.Didn't even think about this method freaking my dog out and he bolted for the highway and was hit and killed,never forgiven myself :(

Anyhow,now I was pissed because the smoke method was unsuccessful so I bought these traps that the little fockers walk on and get stuck to and killed about 6 of them.Never seen any again.

Thanks for making me relive killing my dog.

I am very sorry and saddened to hear about you dog. :cry:

Do you have nightmares about me too?

With Newbie and HT all tucked in to bed, while visions of MDC danced in their head.

In Alaska squirrels were the problem.

Now I live in a suburb and dont see anything but the occasional mouse in the garage.

I used to see them in the subways in NYC ocassionally

I once saw one that looked liked hed just lost a fight to a bigger, meaner rat.

All gimpy and leaving a blood trail as the herd of humans tried to dodge his bleeding, diseased ass.

Chronic Husker is the only one that comes to mind.

• Like 1

I see rats in the subways here. I was once riding a subway and saw a rat INSIDE the car. It ran across some people's feet and freaked a lot of folks out -- people (men and women) were screaming.

I had a pretty funny rat experience in a NYC restaurant a few years ago as well. It was an Italian place in an older area of the city, and the interior of the dining room wall was half brick with a ledge, and plaster above the ledge. I was eating lunch at an interior table and remained calm as a rat walked along the ledge for the full length of the wall and then scampered out of the dining room toward the restaurant entrance. It was in full view of the room for at least 30 seconds, but I was apparently the only one who saw it. I calmly told the host, who thanked me and comped our meal.

In New Orleans, I was at a bar with a friend, and we saw a rat the size of a small rabbit behind the bar. Every time the bartender walked behind the bar, it went under the beer cooler. When the bartender walked away, out came the rat. It was like a game of chicken to see how long the rat could stay out before being seen by the bartender. Good times.

We get an occasional mouse in our house -- probably have had 5 in 10 years. In my Philadelphia apartment, we had an interior kitchen with a built in closet/pantry. We were first floor of this old building, so occasionally, mice would sneak up from the basement, run up the pipes and into the lower-floored kitchens in search of food. Whenever we saw evidence of mice, we'd simply set a trap inside the pantry and turn out the lights. Because there were no windows in our kitchen, it was pitch-black at any time of day. We would usually hear a snap within 10-15 minutes, go get our kill and set another trap. Once the traps stopped snapping, you knew you had killed all of the offenders.

Had a mouse in my house last year. Got a couple of those plastic mouse traps, which work great. Caught him.

And 12 more.

We have a field that's a couple blocks away. It gets mowed down once a year and for the next two weeks or so we have a problem with voles. The neighbor that's behind me is like the vole whisperer though. They'll start hitting and within a week or so he has a pile of dead voles next to his trashcans. We're talking 30 of those little bastards. Once the grass in the field is long enough for them to hide from hawks/owls they move back in.

Ive had cats outside growing up. Never had a rat or snake around that was alive. Cat would always kill it. Same with moles, birds, rabbits, and squirrels. Saw my cat catch a mouse one day in my yard with my gf at the time. It had the front half in its mouth and he back half hanging out. Next thing I know I hear a crunch and the bottom half falls to the ground. Cat bit it in half my gf was extremely grossed out

• Like 1

His whole family is rats. He would have grown up to be a rat.

I never had this problem until I started rehabbing a rental property. I just cleaned out the back "sunroom" and plugged up holes in the roof. Problem went away on its own.

We had a few mice back when I was in the house back home. They were expanding the subdivision, and it would stir up feld mice.

I bought a couple of those things you plug into the wall and emit a noise so high pitched humans cant hear it. Never saw one again. And it didnt bother the cat either.

If I ever get a dog again, I'm definitely getting a covered dog bowl. We had a dog that we kept in the garage at night along with his food and water bowls. That damn food brought more damn mice. Dog absolutely couldn't be bothered.

Also F you for telling the story about your dog dying.

Ive had cats outside growing up. Never had a rat or snake around that was alive. Cat would always kill it. Same with moles, birds, rabbits, and squirrels. Saw my cat catch a mouse one day in my yard with my gf at the time. It had the front half in its mouth and he back half hanging out. Next thing I know I hear a crunch and the bottom half falls to the ground. Cat bit it in half my gf was extremely grossed out

Hawaii has a ton of feral cats, but lots of rats too. Apparently there aren't enough natural predators to kill them off, and great living conditions given the climate and abundance of rotten fruit.

The government brought mongoose to the islands in an attempt to kill off the rats. Only problem is, mongoose hunt during the day while rats come out at night. So the mongoose eat endangered native birds and turtle eggs instead. :doh: