Sign in to follow this  
Fireballer

VA 94th house district winner could be drawn out of a fish bowl

https://apnews.com/b7de9546426c43888e9d390d9bd4f47d?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

They did a recount and the Dem won by one vote. Literally one vote. The incumbent contested that a vote that initially didnt count, was actually a vote for him. It was a ballot with both bubbles filled in, but a strike through of the Dems name. The 3 judge panel voted that was a legit vote for repub. Now we have a stone cold tie. If the dems win, Va house will be 50/50 which noone saw coming.

https://apnews.com/b7de9546426c43888e9d390d9bd4f47d?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

They did a recount and the Dem won by one vote. Literally one vote. The incumbent contested that a vote that initially didnt count, was actually a vote for him. It was a ballot with both bubbles filled in, but a strike through of the Dems name. The 3 judge panel voted that was a legit vote for repub. Now we have a stone cold tie.

Because, why not just make that focked up ballot null. That would make too much sense.

Yeah, that makes sense. If I recall correctly VA's house could be tipped by this one winner--changing the balance of power for a couple of years, so yeah, draw it out of fishbowl. Good plan! :rolleyes:

How is this not a fight to the death situation? This needs to happen.

Like where your head is at...we demand justice...we demand THUNDERDOME!

• Like 2

Like where your head is at...we demand justice...we demand THUNDERDOME!

2 men enter...1 man leaves.

Skull of the dead placed on a stake outside Virginia's capital.

Ya know....classy like.

• Like 1

How could they anythkng but it's for Republican? Also, if they take it from her and award him that vote, doesn't HE go up by one? :dunno:

1-1 is 0, not 2. HTH.

How could they anythkng but it's for Republican? Also, if they take it from her and award him that vote, doesn't HE go up by one? :dunno:

I think the story might be incorrect. What I initially heard was the vote wasn't counted because it was disputed. She was up by one, and then judges decided it was a GOP vote and then it was counted, so now it's tied. But who knows anything anymore.

1-1 is 0, not 2. HTH.

I know you Democrats count votes multiple times but (unless then vote WAS counted for both initially) you subtract one from her +1 total and it he goes +1. :wall:

Think of golf....you birdie to your opponents bogey = 2 shot swing.

• Like 1

I believe they previously counted it as a non-vote....then it was added to the Republican total.

My opinion....based on the fact that Republicans were chosen on the rest of the ballot, common sense says the Virginia hillbilly meant to vote for the Republican.......but i want us to operate on principle as a country. That means Im good with us throwing out messed up ballots or Im good with a trusted neutral party looking at questionable ballots and determining intent. But that decision cant change based on which party needs the help or on which way we think the judgement would go.

We should elect all candidates by drawing them out of a fish bowl. Probably would get some engineers, accountants, and real people elected that way.

• Like 1

We should elect all candidates by drawing them out of a fish bowl. Probably would get some engineers, accountants, and real people elected that way.

With actual fish....

Because, why not just make that focked up ballot null. That would make too much sense.

No, what would make sense is recognizing a slash as a 'NO' - particularly in light of the fact that the rest of the ballot is straight GOP.

No, what would make sense is recognizing a slash as a 'NO' - particularly in light of the fact that the rest of the ballot is straight GOP.

This ballot, sure.

But who gets to make those calls on every focked up ballot? What neutral party of ballot interpretation would both sides trust? Remember the hanging and dimpled chad nonsense back in the day?

Im ok with throwing out all non standard ballots. Easiest fairest way with least chance for shenanigans.

Of course the fact that we even still have paper ballots in 2017 is mind blowing to me.

This ballot, sure.

But who gets to make those calls on every focked up ballot? What neutral party of ballot interpretation would both sides trust? Remember the hanging and dimpled chad nonsense back in the day?

Im ok with throwing out all non standard ballots. Easiest fairest way with least chance for shenanigans.

Of course the fact that we even still have paper ballots in 2017 is mind blowing to me.

Case by case.

But who is the judge though? If the R loses, it will become a story of how the ballot tester donates to Ds, and it was rigged. And vice versa.

It's always a panel with ballot judges from both parties.

Why didn’t the moron who submitted the ballot ask for a new one instead?

The question answers itself.