Sign in to follow this  
seafoam1

2018 Rookie Ranks

I saw this article written by a dude named Cody Garrett and thought to post here since now is the time to start looking at this, especially for keeper and dynasty leagues, and this is a good point as any to start with. This was actually written in late October of this year so I'm sure would have changed some.

"With the college football season more than halfway over and the NFL season nearly at the midway mark, Dynasty owners are beginning to decide whether to go all in for 2017 and sell their assets in preparation for the 2018 draft. But before you decide to go buying all the draft picks you can get your hands on, it is important that we look at the players that may be available to you. This mock draft will be a standard 12 team league and is PPR scoring format."

1.01: Saquon Barkley, RB Penn State
Shocker, I know. This wasn’t too tough of a decision. I’m not sure we have had a 1.01 pick be as easy as this one is. Zeke was perhaps the closest, but landing spot played a major part in that. Barkley shows elite skills in all facets of the game and is the best RB prospect in the past decade.

1.02: Courtland Sutton, WR SMU
Courtland Sutton may have started the season rather slow, but lately, has shown the level of talent many expected. Sutton has the size and athleticism NFL teams drool over and has begun to show the route running to make him a complete WR. Combo that with strong hands and the ability to win on jump balls and Sutton has the ability to be an elite WR1 in the NFL.

1.03: Derrius Guice, RB LSU
Derrius Guice has dealt with some injury issues throughout the season which has led to a decrease in production and playing time. With that said, Guice still shows high-level ability with excellent athleticism and burst with good strength to boot. Guice still has the skills and upside to be an RB1 in the NFL, and if he is drafted on day 1 or 2, it will be hard to pass him up with this selection.

1.04: Bryce Love, RB Stanford
This may be the surprise pick thus far, but if you have been paying attention this season, then it shouldn’t be. Bryce Love has put up unreal production as he leads CFB in rushing yards and has only seen one game with less than 150 yards rushing. He shows elite vision, patience, and burst. Love should find his way into the 1st round come draft time which will also vault his draft value.

1.05: Nick Chubb, RB Georgia
After a serious injury left his future in question, Nick Chubb has quickly erased nearly all doubt from peoples mind; Chubb is back! While not quite fully back to where he was a few years ago, the athleticism Chubb shows for a man his size is rare. His low pad level gives him elite balance and his change of direction is top notch. If Chubb can continue to show elite traits and stay healthy, he will be considered one of the top players come 2018.

1.06: Auden Tate, WR Florida State
Auden Tate hasn’t put up the gaudy numbers week after week that most would expect from a top WR, but that is to be expected when your starting QB is replaced with an inexperienced one. Still, Tate shows some massive upside with potential to be a WR1 at the next level. He has excellent size, good movement for that size, and good route running. He does a great job high pointing the ball and using his strong hands to reel it in. I fully expect Tate to be a 1st round pick in the upcoming draft which will make his value go through the roof.

1.07: Kalen Ballage, RB Arizona St
This pick may be a bit of a shock to most especially considering the production he has thus far. But make no mistake, Kalen Ballage has all the tools to be a top notch RB. His physical profile combined with his speed and athleticism is rare. He has the strength to run over defenders and even has the pass catching ability to make him a threat through the air. If Ballage gets even close to reaching his true potential, we will have a star on our hands.

1.08: Ronald Jones, RB USC
Coming into the season, there were plenty of mixed reviews on Ronald Jones. So far, he has silenced his critics with his high level of play. Jones has been running with more tenacity than ever before and isn’t shying away from contact, which was his biggest weakness. Add in the agility and speed he already had, and Jones has turned himself into a force that is tough to stop.

1.09: Jaylen Smith, WR Louisville
Jaylen Smith is a name going way under the radar but will quickly make a rise come draft time. Smith has excellent size and strength which helps him fight through press coverage and battle DBs at the catch point. At the same time, Smith has deceptive speed and the ability to beat defenders over the top. Smith also has above average route running which makes him a matchup nightmare for defenses. By the time 2018 rolls around, Smith will be a name every draftnik is talking about.

1.10: James Washington, WR Oklahoma State
Admittedly, I have not been the biggest fan of James Washington, but at this point, it’s hard to ignore the numbers he has put up so far this season as he is currently 2nd in receiving yards. Washington shows elite speed to take the top off defenses and excellent ball tracking ability. All of which makes him a threat every time the ball is snapped. Regardless of the team he lands on, he will be a big-time playmaker at the next level.

1.11: Calvin Ridley, WR Alabama
Calvin Ridley’s place in rookie drafts, and the NFL Draft, is still highly debated. Some don’t think his talent matches his hype, but I tend to disagree. Ridley is a high-level route runner on every level of the route tree. He does a great job setting up defenders and has the quickness and long speed to be a homerun hitter. I firmly believe that Ridley is still one of the top WRs in this draft and will be very effective at the next level.

1.12: Equanimeous St. Brown, WR Notre Dame
Unfortunately, Equanimeous St. Brown hasn’t quite lived up to his preseason hype. Regardless, St. Brown has all the tools you look for when evaluating WRs for the NFL. His length makes him a tough matchup and allows him to go up and over defenders on jump balls. He has solid route running and good hands to go along with it. There may be other players with the production you look for here, but the upside and potential St. Brown brings is too hard to pass up here.

2.01: Sony Michel, RB Georgia
2.02: Josh Rosen, QB UCLA
2.03: Myles Gaskin, RB Washington
2.04: Royce Freeman, RB Oregon
2.05: Dante Pettis, WR Washington
2.06: Simmie Cobbs, WR Indiana
2.07: Christian Kirk, WR Texas A&M
2.08: Sam Darnold, QB USC
2.09: John Kelly, RB Tennessee
2.10: Akrum Wadley, RB Iowa
2.11: Jaylen Samuels, TE/H-Back North Carolina State
2.12: Damien Harris, RB Alabama

3.01: Richie James, WR Middle Tennessee
3.02: Anthony Miller, WR Memphis
3.03: Kerryon Johnson, RB Auburn
3.04: Bo Scarbrough, RB Alabama
3.05: Deon Cain, WR Clemson
3.06: Mark Andrews, TE Oklahoma
3.07: DJ Moore, WR Maryland
3.08: Josh Allen, QB Wyoming
3.09: Michael Gallup, WR Colorado St
3.10: Chris Warren, RB Texas
3.11: Lamar Jackson, QB Louisville
3.12: Josh Adams, RB Notre Dame

I'm always the rose colored glasses draft guy. But this year, I'm just not feeling it.

In fact. I traded away all my picks this year, for the first time ever. (So now watch this be the best fantasy class of all time. Knowing my luck.)

The Qb's don't scream can't miss, I have to grab them type guys.

TE's don't interest me. I loved last year's top 3. And I'd also put Jonnu Smith over Mark Andrews. So if I combine the classes, the consensus number 1 this year, would be my number 5 for last year.

I'm kinda unsure about the WR class. My most confident kids would be Sutton and St.Brown. But nothing that I'm really all in on. At least as of yet.

Even the RB's I think aren't that deep.

I absolutely love Barkley, Chubb and Michel. They are my top 3 Backs. Top 3 overall. And only guys I would grab, regardless of what team drafts them. After those guys, nothing grabs me yet.

I'm sure combine time I'll get a bigger list, but for right now, I'm just meh.

I'm looking at Ballage as an imteresting back coming out. 6'3 230 and can catch the ball. I haven't seen a lot of him but have heard aome good things about his upside.

I'm always the rose colored glasses draft guy. But this year, I'm just not feeling it.

In fact. I traded away all my picks this year, for the first time ever. (So now watch this be the best fantasy class of all time. Knowing my luck.)

The Qb's don't scream can't miss, I have to grab them type guys.

TE's don't interest me. I loved last year's top 3. And I'd also put Jonnu Smith over Mark Andrews. So if I combine the classes, the consensus number 1 this year, would be my number 5 for last year.

I'm kinda unsure about the WR class. My most confident kids would be Sutton and St.Brown. But nothing that I'm really all in on. At least as of yet.

Even the RB's I think aren't that deep.

I absolutely love Barkley, Chubb and Michel. They are my top 3 Backs. Top 3 overall. And only guys I would grab, regardless of what team drafts them. After those guys, nothing grabs me yet.

I'm sure combine time I'll get a bigger list, but for right now, I'm just meh.

I think by the time draft rolls around you will be exposed to a lot of highlights and hype and combine numbers to get you excited. This is a better qb year than last and I think that is case for WR as well. TE was overhyped last year you will find. RB will be hard to match last year though

I think by the time draft rolls around you will be exposed to a lot of highlights and hype and combine numbers to get you excited.

This is why I think it's important to do homework now before all the hype so as not to be so influenced by it. Everyone in FF looks at the hype, and 90% of those will approach the draft based on that. It's good to look at this before you hear everyone chiming in.

I'll just wait and see who emerges out of the draft during the summer.

And then watch and learn.

It's how I'll learn more about a players impact on his team.

I think this is a great post and it was written very well. Good job.

Reading about someone's rankings about players coming out of college, just doesn't do much for me.

So please don't be sensitive too my post.

Again I'll just wait and see how they do during the off season.

Proverbs 14:17.

This guy has Kerryon Johnson rated too low imo.

1500+ yards and 19 TD's with a super-tough schedule...and he missed 2 games, and played hurt in the SEC championship game.

We will see how he does in the Peach Bowl.....at least he is man enough to play in his "meaningless" bowl game.

• Like 1

Or not smart enough too miss it.

Or not smart enough too miss it.

I hope you really don't believe that.

Although, obviously, there are some who do.

Inconceivable to me.

Will if he was too indeed suffer a injury it could cost him mighty.

I have no problem having these players sit out.

Didn't last season, and my feeling about this issue hasn't changed.

Will if he was too indeed suffer a injury it could cost him mighty.

I have no problem having these players sit out.

Didn't last season, and my feeling about this issue hasn't changed.

We can disagree on this. However, it reveals something about you, whether you realize it or not: Financial security is more important than character. Not unusual either....it has permeated our nation. I totally get it, but simply abhor it.

If you wake up in the morning it might cost you too. Pro day and combine can be quit dangerous with that much max exertion, as well.

Last season, Fournette and McCaffery set a bad precedent. Now, as I feared, multiple players are sitting out of each bowl game....and this will just continue to increase.

Heck, I am a guy willing to compromise. If you are a sure-fire top ten NFL pick, playing in a low-tier bowl game.....then go ahead and wrap your precious self in protective wrap by sitting out the last game, hanging your teammates, coaches, and fans out to dry. I still won't respect it. but I won't rip you for it.

However, everyone else needs to finish what they started.....so, grab a helmet snowflake, and get in there and battle with your brothers.

We can disagree on this. However, it reveals something about you, whether you realize it or not: Financial security is more important than character. Not unusual either....it has permeated our nation. I totally get it, but simply abhor it.

If you wake up in the morning it might cost you too. Pro day and combine can be quit dangerous with that much max exertion, as well.

Last season, Fournette and McCaffery set a bad precedent. Now, as I feared, multiple players are sitting out of each bowl game....and this will just continue to increase.

Heck, I am a guy willing to compromise. If you are a sure-fire top ten NFL pick, playing in a low-tier bowl game.....then go ahead and wrap your precious self in protective wrap by sitting out the last game, hanging your teammates, coaches, and fans out to dry. I still won't respect it. but I won't rip you for it.

However, everyone else needs to finish what they started.....so, grab a helmet snowflake, and get in there and battle with your brothers.

Actually it's very simple, I believe in free will.

They have the choice too play in the bowl game or not, so that some one has a chance too make a good sold living and not live off food stamps and they want to skip a bowl game and save themselves for their own future I don't see anything wrong with it.

So even if a player wasn't going too go play in the NFL and just wanted too pass on playing in the bowl game I still wouldn't have any problem with it.

It's called free will and it's a great gift.

Happy New Year.

Revelation 16:6&10&15.

It's called free will and it's a great gift.

Happy New Year.

Kissing your sister is also free will, but not necessarily recommendable.

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all thy might" -Ecclesiastes 9:10 & Colossians 3:23

• Like 1

Kissing your sister is also free will, but not necessarily recommendable.

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all thy might" -Ecclesiastes 9:10 & Colossians 3:23

Kissing ones sister isn't or atleast it wasn't the topic.

So would you like too talk about that instead?

Exactly man will be judged by God for the work they do.

Not talking about the early man, but God.

And will judge all for the talents and gifts he give us, and that's too spread his word.

Are you doing your job and doing it will?

Kissing ones sister isn't or atleast it wasn't the topic.

So would you like too talk about that instead?

You are either being coy or are incredibly naive....neither of which are helpful.

All things in life are subject to our God-giving free will choices...but many are not honorable.

You are a man of Scriptures, desiring to bring all subjects back around to the Holy Writ.....so continue to contemplate the ones I provided, set forth under the Old Law, and reiterated under the New Law:

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all thy might, as unto the Lord" -Ecclesiastes 9:10 & Colossians 3:23

Yes, everything I do, I strive to do with every ounce of ability and strength that God has provided, as if I were working for Him. This has cost me from a physical/earthly perspective....but a small price to pay, indeed.

Happy New Year to you, as well.

The because everyone is about God.

We live today and have today because God allows it.

We are not only too serve him after we die but here on earth.

Everything is Gods and he's truly in control off All things.

Yes be happy with the work you do, be the work that everyone is too do is too be a witness of the Lord Jesus Christ.

So then you go too sometime like kissing ones sister and then give and att too quote the Bible.

Very interesting.

Thank you for the chat.

God Bless

Ecclesiastes 9:11.

You live in a fog, Weeps....but seem quite comfortable in it.

Peace out.

They have the choice too play in the bowl game or not, so that some one has a chance too make a good sold living and not live off food stamps and they want to skip a bowl game and save themselves for their own future I don't see anything wrong with it.

It's called free will

Happy New Year.

Seriously you are talking food stamps?

Ok then...

Is it their free will in action when given a great opportunity to actually learn things in college, that in case they have a career ending injury they chose not to learn, and then can't support their family and need to go on welfare and be supported by those who didn't squander college opportunities?

Is it their free will in action when given a great opportunity to actually learn things in college, that in case they have a career ending injury, they choose not to learn, and then can't support their family and need to go on welfare and be supported by those who didn't squander college opportunities?

And I'll add that the colleges are offering them free tuition, and room and board for them to play in the games.

Seriously you are talking food stamps?

Ok then...

Is it their free will in action when given a great opportunity to actually learn things in college, that in case they have a career ending injury they chose not to learn, and then can't support their family and need to go on welfare and be supported by those who didn't squander college opportunities?

Don't you think it is?

And I'll add that the colleges are offering them free tuition, and room and board for them to play in the games.

Then Josh Rosen more than earned a game off.

UCLA nets about 6 million a year from their football program. Their tuition room and board costs about 50k per year, but if you divide up the profit they generate among the 85 scholarship players equally, they generate 70k per year.

That, of course, ignores the fact the star players will generate more revenue. And, of course, it ignores the fact that it really only costs UCLA room and board to let them go to the school since adding them as a student and letting them attend classes really costs UCLA nothing since all of the other students and the state pay for that already.

UCLA nets about 6 million a year from their football program. Their tuition room and board costs about 50k per year, but if you divide up the profit they generate among the 85 scholarship players equally, they generate 70k per year.

That, of course, ignores the fact the star players will generate more revenue. And, of course, it ignores the fact that it really only costs UCLA room and board to let them go to the school since adding them as a student and letting them attend classes really costs UCLA nothing since all of the other students and the state pay for that already.

Josh Rosen deserves to fulfill his agreement. Not to just use the university until he has what he wants then quits.

He could have totally rejected the offer in the first place.

Josh Rosen deserves to fulfill his agreement. Not to just use the university until he has what he wants then quits.

He could have totally rejected the offer in the first place.

The entire college football system does nothing but exploit players. Players are not indentured servants there to make the university money. Once the schools start giving back the millions and millions in profit they make, I'll start saying players should play.

You live in a fog, Weeps....but seem quite comfortable in it.

Peace out.

No it's more like a cloud.

You can read about Gods cloud of protection in the Old Testament.

Can we lock this down and start a new thread which was originally a great start to the offseason

• Like 2

The entire college football system does nothing but exploit players. Players are not indentured servants there to make the university money. Once the schools start giving back the millions and millions in profit they make, I'll start saying players should play.

So what if they make profit? They give a platform for these guys to succeed as individuals in life.

Wasn't he legitimately concussed for their bowl game?

No it's more like a cloud.

I'll stick with fog, thank you very much.

Can we lock this down and start a new thread which was originally a great start to the offseason

With all due respect, Murf, it seems like someone nowadays comes in and says this every time there is a sidebar or a couple of light jabs thrown. I know full-well that you remember the bored of old.....or have you forgotten? The pertinent information eventually emanated.....but a little tussling and comedic relief was the norm.

Nevertheless, yes, it would be a good time to get back on track, so allow me:

Kerryon Johnson is rated too low in the opinion piece quoted by the OP (3.03), imho.

1500+ yards and 19 TD's with a super-tough SEC schedule...and he missed 2 games, and played hurt in the SEC championship game. Kid's got heart to go along with that talent. If he lands in the right situation, sign me up.

And Bryce Love at 1.04, although bold, may be spot on. Kid is incredibly talented. Played with a bum ankle most of the year, and still was the 2nd fastest player in FBS history to 2000 yards.....behind only Melvin Gordon, I think....and ahead of Larry Johnson. And unlike those two, if he gets to the 2nd level, he is GONE.

Character don't buy much these days. Although I'm pretty sure Christian Mccaffrey shows a lot of it even though he chose to sit out his bowl game. I don't blame a kid for sitting out one game to sure up his future. And for letting his college down,, do you know how much money these star players bring to their school?

Character don't buy much these days. Although I'm pretty sure Christian Mccaffrey shows a lot of it even though he chose to sit out his bowl game. I don't blame a kid for sitting out one game to sure up his future. And for letting his college down,, do you know how much money these star players bring to their school?

It's the system that is managed and put together that allows these players to develop and showcase their talents as well as have an education at the same time. If someone wants to, they can structure a minor league football system and pay the players although I doubt that would even come close to being a viable structure. If McCaffrey was never born, the system would have gone on without him. What he received from the college system was a huge contract from the NFL right out of college which he would not have gotten otherwise. Oh, and not to mention a fine college education which for some young folks in this world is worth more than anything they could hope for.

So what if they make profit? They give a platform for these guys to succeed as individuals in life.

At a profit for themselves. They're exploiting players for money. Quit acting like they're doing this as some charity outreach. They want money based off these kids performances on the football field.

At a profit for themselves. They're exploiting players for money. Quit acting like they're doing this as some charity outreach. They want money based off these kids performances on the football field.

They get money off of what they provide for those who choose to take that route in life. This is not slavery.

So, does anyone doubt that Barkley will be the next big thing in fantasy football?

So, does anyone doubt that Barkley will be the next big thing in fantasy football?

Nope. He'll be as good as Gurley, Zeke, and Fournette. I think you can draft him and have a RB1, at worst, a RB2 for the next 10 years.

I'm taking Barkley in every league I can. First round

Highest I have is 4th pick. I am hoping he runs a bad 40 or something so he slips.

Gonna have to move Texas A&M WR Christian Kirk up my board.

This kid is dynamic....seriously fellers, reminds me of a young A. Brown. He does it all.....even returning kicks.

Not only did he play in his bowl game, but he dominated. Got banged up one time.....looked bad, but hopped up as they were bring the cart out, and was in again the next series. I like that kind of courage and heart.

Gonna have to move Texas A&M WR Christian Kirk up my board.

This kid is dynamic....seriously fellers, reminds me of a young A. Brown. He does it all.....even returning kicks.

Not only did he play in his bowl game, but he dominated. Got banged up one time.....looked bad, but hopped up as they were bring the cart out, and was in again the next series. I like that kind of courage and heart.

Just watched some highlights on him. He does look like an NFL ready WR. However he looks most of his TDS are winning straight out speed what kind of 40 will he run

Just watched some highlights on him. He does look like an NFL ready WR. However he looks most of his TDS are winning straight out speed what kind of 40 will he run

Good point. He seems blazing fast, but I suppose the combine will tell the tale. What brought out the Brown comparison for me is his consistent hands.

Besides go routes and double moves, I have seen him also run very effective hitch routes, out routes, curls, digs, posts, and slants (in fact caught a slant for a TD tonight)......but speed is definitely his game.

Went 13/189/3 against Wake tonight. I have highlighted his name.....am very interested.