Sign in to follow this  
Bier Meister

I am heartbroken

just found out i have type 2 diabetes. i will be fine, but will dearly miss a lot of food :(

Not to poo poo it, but That's barely a disease. Minor adjustments. Don't go lopping off any toes any time soon.

I remember asking my Doc when she wanted me to start testing my blood. It went something like this:

"So Doc, I test my blood, it's high or low, what then? Do I fart, vomit, lie down, exercise, write my will? What?"

She just started laughing. "You know, after all these years, nobody's ever asked me that..." :D

BAsically, it's common sense, whilst they push fingering your priick, the truth is, you know when you feel sluggish or skittery. Just a matter of figuring out what works to smooth the highs and lows.

Take your meds, increase water consumption by 49% and just play it where it lays.

• Like 1

Oh great....wiffletard is posting in this thread. Expect 30 pages of nonsense!

Thus far, one post of seemingly sound advice.

• Like 1

My sympathies.

We know you're not just beir meister but also food meister around here. For me one of my tradeoffs of being in China is I don't like the food. I've no doubt that by far, I'm the poster that most frequently eats meals he doesn't enjoy or sometimes just barely tolerates.

thanks guys.

i will make the necessary adjustments. it just sucks because food is such a major part of my life. the reality is that i am not that gluttonous. my current diet is not terrible. my issue is insulin uptake.

just more motivation to lose weight and exercise more. i'll start posting the "healthier" recipes as i go

:lol: tonight instead of steamed rice, i made a turmeric/currant quinoa as a side. i see a lot of quinoa and faro in my future.

• Like 1

There's a huge link between the increase in kale consumption and the increase in people with diabetes. Keep that in mind.

Also, directly corresponding with the increase in cilantro consumption is a huge uptick in the number of cases of oral cancers.

• Like 1

There's a huge link between the increase in kale consumption and the increase in people with diabetes. Keep that in mind.

Also, directly corresponding with the increase in cilantro consumption is a huge uptick in the number of cases of oral cancers.

There's also a link between the number of cryptocurrencies and last second wins by the Minnesota Vikings. :dunno:

Sorry to hear it man. My BIL was diagnosed with it a couple years ago.

Initially took medication, lost some weight, stopped eating so many sweets and got it under control.

Best wishes.

Get a second opinion.

This is one that doctors love to exaggerate to get you on meds asap

• Like 2

Best of luck, you never know when something will happen later on in life that messes with your diet.

I love dairy and spontaneously became lactose intolerant about 5 months ago. Although this does not have near the long term health effects that type 2 diabetes has.

Just drop the carbs such as pasta, white rice, white bread, potatoes and if you drink soda, switch to Coke Zero or Cherry Coke Zero...

• Like 2

Okay, okay, go ahead and lop off a few toes ahead of time. Just get ahead of the curve. What the hell, it'll make for something interesting to talk about it at the beach.

Maybe you can swap a couple toes for a couple tiger teeths from Bill?

Everybody in my family has one form or another of it.... I've not gotten it yet, but it's destined to come.

Sorry to hear - that suck.

Is that the type you get from being fat?

Almost 90 percent of people with type 2 diabetes are overweight or obese, according to government statistics...

• Like 1

Almost 90 percent of people with type 2 diabetes are overweight or obese, according to government statistics...

I call bs, my fishing buddy has type 2 and he is probably only 120 pounds and skinny as a rail. It is only slightly attributed to weight.

Before anyone asks, 63 year old Vietnamese man.

nailed it.

Fat drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son.

But it's working for everyone here. :cheers:

I call bs, my fishing buddy has type 2 and he is probably only 120 pounds and skinny as a rail. It is only slightly attributed to weight.

Before anyone asks, 63 year old Vietnamese man.

Yeah, the problem with that whole OBese statistic, is it comes from the same people who consider 90% of Americans to be obese because they use that ridiculous BMI test still. Which is absolutely stupid and worthless for the most part.

There's clearly a correlation, but genetics, alcohol use, and other factors complain into it as well.

Earlier poster was right. Most of the so-called symptoms for type 2 color things like extra blood sugar? Well that describes about 80% of Americans too. And, other than pushing meds, the recommendations are basically common sense. Portion control cutting down on worthless carbs and sugars, gee thanks Doc. What would you recommend if I didn't have diabetes?

Very clearly legitimate cases, but this seems like one of those things that doctors diagnose because there really isn't much downside to most of the treatment options for diabetes.

Hopefully there will be no threads entitled "Going Away Party for Bier Miesters Foot"

(apologies to Anthony Jeselnik)

Just drop the carbs such as pasta, white rice, white bread, potatoes and if you drink soda, switch to Coke Zero or Cherry Coke Zero...

Stay away from diet sodas!! Killer stuff.

• Like 2

Damn, that sucks Bier. At least you know enough about food to make anything taste good!

• Like 1

Sorry to hear it man. My BIL was diagnosed with it a couple years ago.

Initially took medication, lost some weight, stopped eating so many sweets and got it under control.

Best wishes.

yep.... less carbs and sweets, more green veg and fiber

this is the plan. i am a fiend for pasta and asian noodles. fan of good sandwiches, but do not eat a lot of breads at home. i binge on sweets. do not think about them for weeks, then crave em. potatoes will be tough. do not drink a lot of soda...mostly drink water (sometimes with mio- no sugars/carbs) and juice.

it can be. i am not terrible, but will welcome losing 20 lbs.

edit: as wiff was alluding to.... a lot can be attributed to the western diet

i see a lot of quinoa and faro in my future.

:(

T's & P's

• Like 1

What are your symptoms/lab results that led to the diagnosis?

over the summer i had a nasty asthma attack after not having any in 20 years. the doctor decided to run some standard test and i came back a little high for the blood sugar. we decided to do more specific tests on friday. so while i certainly had some symptoms, i did not go in with a list of complaints. things make more sense now after the fact.

symptoms i have experienced over the past couple of years:

getting up in the middle of the night to pee

often thirsty

often exhausted/fatigue- i just thought it was "normal" job stress

occasional blurred vision- again, did not think it was related

seemed like these things could have been anything and they did not all happen at the same time

I'll still look for your recipes. Even if it looks like you are cooking from Pen's house

just getting started with this... i will test before posting

Damn, that sucks Bier. At least you know enough about food to make anything taste good!

thanks... i have only been browsing cookbooks. been improvising and family is enjoying the results.

i still need to push out a lot of food on them, so i can restock the fridge/freezer

By the way, your doctor may have told you, or it may sound gross, but welcome to the world of checking out your own pee. Seriously, I can tell a hell of a lot without blood monitoring just by how yellow the bowl looks.

It's not an exact science by any means, but I do my damndest to drink enough water to get the color down to a really really pale yellow if not clear. If I'm peeing Sunny Delight, I know I need to seriously increase my water consumption.

water is great. far better than medication in naturally flushing out the things your body doesn't need as much of. Only real risk that I know of is over taxing your kidneys, but shouldn't be an issue for you at this point.

It's all about getting to know your body signs better and for me this is one of them.

Also, read up on cinnamon.

• Like 1

This is the thing to do. Basically do away with sugar & grains and up your fat intake
  • Like 1