Sign in to follow this  
Bills04

Wow - Alex Smith goes to Washington!

Redskins acquired QB Alex Smith from the Chiefs in exchange for undisclosed compensation.

The Kansas City Star broke the news, but has no details on what the Skins are getting back. No trades can become official until the first day of the new league year on March 14. But the Star says the agreement is a done deal, saving the Chiefs $17 million under the salary cap. The blockbuster trade will ensure Kirk Cousins hits free agency, where he'll likely become the NFL's highest-paid player. It also locks in Patrick Mahomes as the Chiefs' 2018 starting quarterback. In 2017, Smith set career highs in touchdown-to-interception ratio (26:5) and yards per attempt (8.0). He turns 34 in May, so a quarterback will stay in play for the Redskins at the No. 13 overall pick.

============================

Can you see Cousins with DEN or JAX?! :thumbsup:

The Redskins and Smith have reached a deal on a 4-year contract extension. Wow... interesting how they never got a long term deal done with Cousins but were able to work one out with Smith. Deal can't be made official until March 14th.

Sounds like the Chiefs are getting a 3rd round pick plus a player.

Broncos or Zona.

If Kirk Cousins wants to be the highest paid player in NFL history and set his family up for life he will sign with the Cleveland Browns.

With the one and four in the draft and a QB in tote the Brownies could make a huge jump.

More details are leaking. Per Adam Schefter..

Alex Smith will average $23.5 million per year in new money on the four-year extension with approximately $70 million in guaranteed money on the agreement between the two sides, per @mortreport. There is no official contract or paperwork so agreement in principle right now.

Chiefs are expected to get CB Kendall Fuller from Washington in the deal.

70 mill guaranteed on my soul.

If Kirk Cousins wants to be the highest paid player in NFL history and set his family up for life he will sign with the Cleveland Browns.

He has already made over $40 million in the last 2 years alone. If that's not enough to set up his family for life, he must have one big family.

Plus, it doesn't sound like he's blowing his cash:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/22/washington-redskins-quarterback-kirk-cousins-drives-a-dented-van.html

The Redskins and Smith have reached a deal on a 4-year contract extension. Wow... interesting how they never got a long term deal done with Cousins but were able to work one out with Smith. Deal can't be made official until March 14th.

After seeing this for years, it's clear Cousins didn't like DC. Not just the Skins, the area. He's a small town midwest guy. He was never going to sign here.

Big trade for past their prime players in where they give up picks and a young talented upcoming player? Yup, sounds like the Redskins. Now they just need to draft an additional QB to complete the trifecta.

That said... Jordan Reed's potential is going to go through the roof for the 5 games he is healthy enough to play next year.

After seeing this for years, it's clear Cousins didn't like DC. Not just the Skins, the area. He's a small town midwest guy. He was never going to sign here.

I had the sense he was POd that he couldnt reach a deal with the Skins. I am thinking of Cousins saying something like I dont know what else I have to prove etc. It sounded like he felt jerked around with the franchise tag.

I dont blame the Skins for not wanting to commit huge $ to a very good but not great 30 y/o QB. I do have to laugh that theyre going to pay upwards of $20 million per to a much worse 34 y/o QB though.

If youre looking for a stopgap why not bring in a Case Keenum type while you groom your guy? Skins are a poorly run franchise.

I know Chiefs fans have to be alittle annoyed with Reid. That they couldn't have done better the last couple of seasons. But damn, kudos is in order.

I would agree, why not just keep Cousins, I think the Skins will be paying mr Smith to much.

They have a lot of question marks at Rb amd even at Wr.

I think it's going to be a tough situation for a QB like Smith.

He's not a QB that can carry a team.

I think the Redskins just set themselves back 5-7 years. They really screwed up. I’d be very upset if I were a Redskins fan. Alex Smith is good QB with really good coaching, otherwise, he’s adequate at best. The last few two years showed us the difference in coaching caliber in Washington. Kirk Cousins was still good with mediocre coaching last year and Smith will be much worse… especially with the lack of weapons in Washington.

• Like 1

I had the sense he was POd that he couldnt reach a deal with the Skins. I am thinking of Cousins saying something like I dont know what else I have to prove etc. It sounded like he felt jerked around with the franchise tag.

I dont blame the Skins for not wanting to commit huge $ to a very good but not great 30 y/o QB. I do have to laugh that theyre going to pay upwards of $20 million per to a much worse 34 y/o QB though.

If youre looking for a stopgap why not bring in a Case Keenum type while you groom your guy? Skins are a poorly run franchise.

Every team is the right QB away from being incredibly well run. Kirk, flat out, was never going to sign a deal here. That handwriting was on the wall 2 years ago. Keenum will either be signed or franchised. Since there is no guy to groom, the Skins made a great move IMO, to grab a solid QB before the bidding wars begin. To reiterate, Cousins was never going to sign. Period.

Every team is the right QB away from being incredibly well run. Kirk, flat out, was never going to sign a deal here. That handwriting was on the wall 2 years ago. Keenum will either be signed or franchised. Since there is no guy to groom, the Skins made a great move IMO, to grab a solid QB before the bidding wars begin. To reiterate, Cousins was never going to sign. Period.

Im assuming the Skins are going to draft a QB to groom since even they have to realize Alex Smith isnt the guy, right now or 3-4 years from now. There will be cheaper journeymen on the FA market, why youd give Smith upwards of $20 million per os a mystery to me. Paying a 3rd and a quality corner for him is retardation. 👏

You are not going to win with Alex Smith.

You are not going to win with Kirk Cousins.

But please, rearrange the deck chairs however you''d like.

I'll +1 to this being a bad move.

The Redskins don't think Cousins is THE guy. Fair enough. You either franchise and try to trade him, or let him walk and get a high comp pick next year. Then you look to the draft and/or look for a free agent reclamation project ala Keenum.

But to trade for Alex Smith, who definitely is not THE guy either, and pony up a lot of money for him? Makes no sense.

Move Smith up or down for fantasy football purposes?

I know it's weird to say the word Smith and fantasy football in the same breath... but he was a top 5 QB last year...

Move Smith up or down for fantasy football purposes?

I know it's weird to say the word Smith and fantasy football in the same breath... but he was a top 5 QB last year...

Down... off even. I think in the right situation (like he WAS in), he's a good fantasy QB. In a bad situation (like the one he WILL BE in), he's not even roster worthy. I think Smith is an "adequate" QB who can look good in the right situation. Washington is NOT that situation. There's no running game. The OLine is so-so. The receiving corp lacks talent. The defense isn't that good. I think Alex Smith finishes outside the top 20 this coming year and I think they max out at 4 wins.

Down... off even. I think in the right situation (like he WAS in), he's a good fantasy QB. In a bad situation (like the one he WILL BE in), he's not even roster worthy. I think Smith is an "adequate" QB who can look good in the right situation. Washington is NOT that situation. There's no running game. The OLine is so-so. The receiving corp lacks talent. The defense isn't that good. I think Alex Smith finishes outside the top 20 this coming year and I think they max out at 4 wins.

Seen Gruden long enough to see that he's a decent HC but a great schemer. Cousins is a system QB, who is a decent reader of defenses at best. Smith is superlative at reading defenses.

Down for me also.

He was a good fit with Reid, hard to see that being the case with the Skins who lack a run game.

Smith needs a run game.

You are not going to win with Kirk Cousins.

He's never been on a good team or a functional organization so the jury is still very much out on this.

In the 3 years that Cousins was the regular starter, the offense ranked 10/17 (pts/yards) in 2015, 12/3 in 2016, and 16/16 last year. The defense ranked 17/28, 19/28, 27/21. The offense was clearly better than the defense, so to say that you weren't going to win with Cousins is rather disingenuous. When your defense is that bad, almost no QB is going to win.

• Like 2

In the 3 years that Cousins was the regular starter, the offense ranked 10/17 (pts/yards) in 2015, 12/3 in 2016, and 16/16 last year. The defense ranked 17/28, 19/28, 27/21. The offense was clearly better than the defense, so to say that you weren't going to win with Cousins is rather disingenuous. When your defense is that bad, almost no QB is going to win.

They were picking up starting O-lineman off the street this past season. He was running for his life. Plus his best weapon, Reed, was injured all year.

I think he can win with the Brocnos.

It's the Redskins being the Redskins

I think the Redskins just set themselves back 5-7 years. They really screwed up. I’d be very upset if I were a Redskins fan. Alex Smith is good QB with really good coaching, otherwise, he’s adequate at best. The last few two years showed us the difference in coaching caliber in Washington. Kirk Cousins was still good with mediocre coaching last year and Smith will be much worse… especially with the lack of weapons in Washington.

Yep. By not sticking with Cousins and upgrading the WR position, they are destined to be mediocre for years but not bad enough to be in the top 3 thus missing out on top tier QBs to replace Smith.

They will have to get lucky at the QB position in a future draft.