Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Tony Romo gets special exemption to play PGA tour event.

Former Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo seems to be pretty good at the things he does. Not only was he an excellent quarterback, but he transitioned smoothly to the broadcast booth following his playing career.
Apparently, football has gotten too easy for Romo. Now, he’s going to try his hand at a new sport. Romo is going to play in an actual PGA Tour event. The 37-year-old will take some golf swings in the Corales Puntacana Resort & Club Championship, which begins March 19.
The event will carry a $3 million purse, and will be broadcast on the Golf Channel in case you’re interested in seeing what Romo can do.
He told PGATour.com that being able to play in a PGA Tour event is “a dream come true.”

:thumbsup:

Nice, hope he plays well.

Was blown away by the way Steph played in the web.com event last year.

Nice, hope he plays well.

Was blown away by the way Steph played in the web.com event last year.

Romo is good, very good. not tour pro good (obviously), but he's a really good player

Love watching him play at the AMerican Century @ Edgewood

Hope he crushes it in the first three days and then collapses on Sunday. :bench:

Hope he crushes it in the first three days and then collapses on Sunday. :bench:

Like the Vikings

I bet at least Tony shows up

• Like 1

Like the Vikings

:fu: :mad:

:lol:

Romo is good, very good. not tour pro good (obviously), but he's a really good player

If he had opted for golf, going back and coming out of college - he could be a touring pro today... He's actually that good.

Good at football, commentating, golf and banged Jessica Simpson in her prime. Hope he misses the cut by 37 shots, fock him.

• Like 1

If he had opted for golf, going back and coming out of college - he could be a touring pro today... He's actually that good.

is he playing AT&T today as an am?

Good at football, commentating, golf and banged Jessica Simpson in her prime. Hope he misses the cut by 37 shots, fock him.

how about holding a snap for a FG?

Should have went with.....

He will likely look like the best guy in the tournament but end up in a playoff, where he will then.......

Should have went with.....

He will likely look like the best guy in the tournament but end up in a playoff, where he will then.......

Not show up like the Vikings?

Hope he falls into a lake and gets lake AIDS

• Like 1

Like the Vikings

:lol:

also, Romo Rocks!!! :headbanger:

Not show up like the Vikings?

You're trying to hard kid. Two times in one thread = phail.

You're trying to hard kid. Two times in one thread = phail.

Not as bad as the Vikings

is he playing AT&T today as an am?

He is... and to be honest, I'm not eve sure who he is pro is.. Have you heard?

He is... and to be honest, I'm not eve sure who he is pro is.. Have you heard?

No clue.

you ask and the kid delivers!

http://www.attpbgolf.com/content/uploads/2015/10/2018-ATT-Pebble-Beach-Pro-Am-Thursday-Saturday-Pairings.pdf

1 Zac Blair and Pat Monahan (12) Jason Kokrak and Harris Barton (10) SH 9:39 MP 8:55* PB 8:15
2 Adam Scott and Doug Mackenzie (4) Nick Watney and Edward Herlihy (9) SH 9:50 MP 9:06* PB 8:26
3 Mackenzie Hughes and Alex Smith (8) Kevin Na and Steve Young (14) SH 10:01 MP 9:17* PB 8:37
4 Peter Jacobsen and Adrian Young (0) Kelly Kraft and Clay Walker (10) SH 10:12 MP 9:28* PB 8:48
5 Jerry Kelly and Aaron Rodgers (9) Kevin Streelman and Larry Fitzgerald (13) SH 8:00 MP 9:39* PB 8:59
6 Brian Gay and Colt Ford (4) Steve Stricker and Toby Keith (14) SH 8:11 MP 9:50* PB 9:10
7 Dustin Johnson and Wayne Gretzky (9) Jordan Spieth and Jake Owen (2) SH 8:22 MP 10:01* PB 9:21
8 Keith Mitchell and Larry the Cable Guy (15) Tom Lovelady and Ray Romano (17) SH 8:33 MP 10:12* PB 9:32
9 Colt Knost and Josh Duhamel (8) Gary Woodland and Kelly Rohrbach (7) SH 8:44 MP 8:00* PB 9:43
10 Phil Mickelson and Jimmy Dunne III (3) Rory Mcllroy and Gerry McIlroy (5) SH 8:55 MP 8:11* PB 9:54
11 D. A. Points and Bill Murray (15) Chris Stroud and Darius Rucker (8) SH 9:06 MP 8:22* PB 10:05
12 Hunter Mahan and Tom Dundon (6) Will Zalatoris and Tony Romo (0) SH 9:17 MP 8:33* PB 10:16
13 Jonathan Randolph and Gordon Dean (8) Trey Mullinax and Thomas Keller (18) SH 9:28 MP 8:44* PB 10:27
14 Daniel Summerhays and Ryan Smith (4) Shawn Stefani and Philipp Schindler (13) SH 9:39* MP 8:55 PB 8:15*
15 Russell Knox and Justin Verlander (4) Jimmy Walker and Jim Crane (2) SH 9:50* MP 9:06 PB 8:26*
16 Cody Gribble and Fin Ewing III (9) Shane Bertsch and Jim Morris (2) SH 10:01* MP 9:17 PB 8:37*
17 Kyle Thompson and Matt Thompson (17) Julian Suri and Steve Green (6) SH 10:12* MP 9:28 PB 8:48*
18 Ernie Els and Jerry Yang (8) Mike Weir and George Roberts (7) SH 8:00* MP 9:39 PB 8:59*
19 Jason Day and Chris Harrison (10) William McGirt and Alfonso Ribeiro (4) SH 8:11* MP 9:50 PB 9:10*
20 Patrick Rodgers and Charles Schwab (11) Billy Horschel and Tim Finchem (9) SH 8:22* MP 10:01 PB 9:21*
21 Andrew Yun and Jin Roy Ryu (12) Sam Saunders and Brian Ferris (2) SH 8:33* MP 10:12 PB 9:32*
22 James Hahn and Heidi Ueberroth (14) Alex Cejka and Pascal Grizot (1) SH 8:44* MP 8:00 PB 9:43*
23 Brandt Snedeker and Dan Crockett (1) Matt Kuchar and Aneel Bhusri (9) SH 8:55* MP 8:11 PB 9:54*
24 Kevin Chappell and Joe Don Rooney (7) Kevin Kisner and Charles Kelley (5) SH 9:06* MP 8:22 PB 10:05*
25 Ken Duke and Carson Daly (9) Luke Donald and Chris O'Donnell (6) SH 9:17* MP 8:33 PB 10:16*
26 Maverick McNealy and Scott McNealy (7) Paul Dunne and David Seaton (11) SH 9:28* MP 8:44 PB 10:27*
27 Tyrone Van Aswegen and Kevin Baldwin (0) Dominic Bozzelli and Jeff Rhodes (10) MP 9:39 PB 8:55* SH 8:15
28 K. J. Choi and Thomas Laffont (6) Brian Stuard and Ernesto Bertarelli (4) MP 9:50 PB 9:06* SH 8:26
29 Brandon Harkins and Garry Lyons (16) David Solomon and Barry Columb (18) MP 10:01 PB 9:17* SH 8:37
30 Matt Atkins and Rob Bertino (13) Ethan Tracy and David Beam (17) MP 10:12 PB 9:28* SH 8:48
31 Richy Werenski and Jarrett Posner (13) Steve Wheatcroft and Stephen Mack (9) MP 8:00 PB 9:39* SH 8:59
32 Greg Chalmers and Catherine Engelbert (18) Peter Malnati and Geoff Yang (8) MP 8:11 PB 9:50* SH 9:10
33 Jonas Blixt and Thomas Friedman (8) Padraig Harrington and Patrick Whitesell (9) MP 8:22 PB 10:01* SH 9:21
34 Corey Conners and Ken Petersen (7) Seamus Power and Michael Cochrane (7) MP 8:33 PB 10:12* SH 9:32
35 Ryan Blaum and Jeff Yass (8) Cameron Percy and John Watson (2) MP 8:44 PB 8:00* SH 9:43
36 Pat Perez and Michael Lund (5) Vaughn Taylor and Gregg Ontiveros (13) MP 8:55 PB 8:11* SH 9:54
37 Derek Ernst and Robert Calderoni (10) Charley Hoffman and Jim Fish (7) MP 9:06 PB 8:22* SH 10:05
38 Martin Piller and Mark Rometty (14) Roberto Diaz and Benjamin Salinas Sada (18) MP 9:17 PB 8:33* SH 10:16
39 Talor Gooch and Stephen B. Smith (14) Nicholas Lindheim and Ronald Abelmann (13) MP 9:28 PB 8:44* SH 10:27
40 Chris Kirk and Joe Kernen (12) Matt Every and Douglas Parker (18) MP 9:39* PB 8:55 SH 8:15*
41 Russell Henley and Bret Baier (4) Rod Pampling and Mike Bloomberg (18) MP 9:50* PB 9:06 SH 8:26*
42 Jason Bohn and Condoleezza Rice (16) Ben Martin and Bob Rowling (10) MP 10:01* PB 9:17 SH 8:37*
43 Aaron Wise and Cody Plott (8) Adam Schenk and Greg Buonocore (18) MP 10:12* PB 9:28 SH 8:48*
44 Eric Axley and Dan Rose (8) Rory Sabbatini and Blake Mycoskie (8) MP 8:00* PB 9:39 SH 8:59*
45 Bubba Watson and Lee Styslinger III (10) Aaron Baddeley and Pat Battle (2) MP 8:11* PB 9:50 SH 9:10*
46 Bryson DeChambeau and Lori Lee (18) Jim Herman and W. James McNerney Jr. (17) MP 8:22* PB 10:01 SH 9:21*
47 Bronson Burgoon and Patrick Hamill (9) Ben Silverman and Jeremy Jacobs (18) MP 8:33* PB 10:12 SH 9:32*
48 Charlie Beljan and Charles Johnson (16) Chesson Hadley and Joe Lacob (10) MP 8:44* PB 8:00 SH 9:43*
49 Rafael Cabrera-Bello and Dermot Desmond (11) Shane Lowry and Gerry McManus (14) MP 8:55* PB 8:11 SH 9:54*
50 Jon Rahm and David Abeles (3) Patrick Cantlay and Jeff Bracken (8) MP 9:06* PB 8:22 SH 10:05*
51 Sean O'Hair and Greg Johnson (11) David Duval and Seth Waugh (9) MP 9:17* PB 8:33 SH 10:16*
52 Andrew Putnam and Rich Petit (2) Nate Lashley and Peter Castleman (7) MP 9:28* PB 8:44 SH 10:27*
53 Johnson Wagner and Tom Ryan (10) Ricky Barnes and Craig Johnson (4) PB 9:39 SH 8:55* MP 8:15
54 Ryan Armour and Peter Barker (12) Fabian Gomez and Andrew Wilson (15) PB 9:50 SH 9:06* MP 8:26
55 J. B. Holmes and Todd Wagner (10) Vijay Singh and Ed Brown (1) PB 10:01 SH 9:17* MP 8:37
56 Rob Oppenheim and David Calhoun (6) Tom Hoge and Jay Ireland (10) PB 10:12 SH 9:28* MP 8:48
57 J. J. Henry and Frank Quattrone (11) Scott Brown and David MacFarlane (11) PB 8:00 SH 9:39* MP 8:59

Looks like Rory get to play with his Dad?

Not as bad as the Vikings

Now you're just padding your post count. :nono:

you ask and the kid delivers!

:thumbsup:

Now, my next question - Who da fuq is Will Zalatoris? :huh:

December 15, 2017

Wake Forest's Will Zalatoris forgoes final semester, turns pro

A second collegiate star has turned pro in the middle of the season, adding another name to the list of prospects who will be seeking sponsor exemptions once the PGA TOUR season resumes in January.
Wake Forest senior Will Zalatoris, the 2017 ACC Player of the Year, announced Thursday that he will turn pro and forego his final semester of collegiate golf.
“I wanted to give myself the best chance to have a TOUR card for 2018 and 2019,” Zalatoris told PGATOUR.COM. “I want to give myself the best opportunity to set myself up for the future, so I wanted to have these extra six months to play in a few more events and build my routine.”
Zalatoris finished his Wake Forest career with a 70.44 scoring average, breaking the school record of former FedExCup champ Bill Haas. Zalatoris won four collegiate titles, as well as the 2014 U.S. Junior Amateur.
His announcement came shortly after his Walker Cup teammate, Cameron Champ, made the leap to the pro ranks. Champ was in the middle of his senior season at Texas A&M.
This is believed to be the first time in recent history that two collegiate players of such high profile have turned pro in the middle of the same season.
“I think turning pro (in the middle of the season) will become a little bit more popular in the years to come, mainly because of the schedule,” Zalatoris said. “You get a full six months back of playing pro events. I was one of the kids who said, ‘You have four years of college and the rest of your life to play golf,’ but talking to some guys on TOUR, they mentioned how important that first year was.”
Champ finished T16 at last week’s Web.com Tour Q-School to secure status for the upcoming season. Zalatoris failed to advance out of second stage, so he will have to rely on sponsor exemptions and Monday qualifiers for starts on the PGA TOUR and Web.com Tour.
He has just 21 hours remaining toward his psychology degree, and is currently taking nine hours online. Being so close to completing his degree made it easier to leave school early, he said. He is planning to graduate in 2018.
Zalatoris isn’t the first U.S. Junior champion from Texas to turn pro after failing to advance out of Q-School’s second stage. Jordan Spieth took that path in 2013, winning that year’s John Deere Classic and qualifying for the TOUR Championship. Spieth and Zalatoris also share a swing coach, Cameron McCormick.
Turning pro early gives Zalatoris time to play both the PGA TOUR and Web.com Tour in his quest to earn a TOUR card.
The Wyndham Championship, the final PGA TOUR event before the FedExCup Playoffs and Web.com Tour Finals, is the only start he has confirmed on his schedule, he said.
Zalatoris is the third member of this year’s victorious U.S. Walker Cup team to turn pro, after Champ and Maverick McNealy. The U.S. defeated Great Britain & Ireland, 19-7, in September at Los Angeles Country Club.
Joaquin Niemann, the world’s top-ranked amateur, also is expected to turn pro in early 2018. Wyndham Clark, the 2017 Golfweek College Player of the Year, and Sam Burns, the 2017 Nicklaus Award winner, are other first-year pros who will be seeking TOUR starts in 2018. Both players earned full status at Web.com Tour Q-School.
McNealy, who graduated from Stanford with a degree in Management Science and Engineering, made his pro debut at the Safeway Open (T52). He also has sponsor exemptions into three PGA TOUR events in California (CareerBuilder Challenge, Farmers Insurance Open and AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am) and two in Texas (AT&T Byron Nelson, DEAN & DELUCA Invitational). He also has full Web.com Tour status for next year after finishing T10 at Q-School.
McNealy and Niemann are the past two winners of the Mark H. McCormack Medal, given to the world’s top-ranked amateur.
Spieth and Peter Uihlein are previous collegiate standouts to turn pro in December. Uihlein did so in 2011, forgoing his final semester at Oklahoma State to pursue starts on the European Tour.
Uihlein, the 2010 U.S. Amateur champion, won on that circuit in 2013 and is in the midst of his first season as a PGA TOUR member after winning the Nationwide Children’s Hospital Championship, the first event of this year’s Web.com Tour Finals. Uihlein, 28, is 40th in the current FedExCup standings.
  • December 15, 2017

I think he's crazy if he doesn't give the NFL a shot. QB play is pretty awful these days. He could manage one of these Jax or Bronco type teams to a title. 37 isn't what it used to be.

I think he's crazy if he doesn't give the NFL a shot. QB play is pretty awful these days. He could manage one of these Jax or Bronco type teams to a title. 37 isn't what it used to be.

We just saw Case Keenum and Blake Bortles make it to a Conference Championship game - Nick Foles win the SB............ I can't believe teams like Denver aren't camped out at his house, check in hand.

Love to know what CBS is paying him

We just saw Case Keenum and Blake Bortles make it to a Conference Championship game - Nick Foles win the SB............ I can't believe teams like Denver aren't camped out at his house, check in hand.

True, but if I'm him I'm also letting it be known he wants to play. When he's right he's top tier. Even after two years off.

Love to know what CBS is paying him

About 3x less than what he'll make this year. My guess is he'll go from about $1M last to $3M this year.

Omar uresti!

Romo 1 back of big john

And Carrie Underwood too. Dude has lived a charmed life.

Someone let him know it's safe to come back now. JPP is out of the division.

3rd to last ain't bad

Another former pro athlete scratch golfer that thinks he can make it to the pro tour just because "hey, I played X sport at a high level, and I golfed a lot in the off season". :rolleyes:

Smoltz thought the same. These guys have no business even trying.

Another former pro athlete scratch golfer that thinks he can make it to the pro tour just because "hey, I played X sport at a high level, and I golfed a lot in the off season". :rolleyes:

Meh, Romo shot in the 70's in a tour event. He's got tremendous game. Curry also appears to be a top notch golfer. If they were able to devote the time to it, they could make a run at the tour. Wouldn't be surprised to see both on the senior tour.

Romo is not out knocking on doors, begging for spots to play on tour.........the sponsors came to him.

Why? Simple, to put their event on the map. This is an inaugural (tour) event, and with the big boys playing in the WGC - they wanted a splash..... And as the ones flipping the bill - they can do whatever they want.