Sign in to follow this  
Frozenbeernuts

The government will dictate exactly what people eat now?

http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/12/news/economy/food-stamps-box-blue-apron/index.html

White House wants to deliver food to the poor, Blue Apron-style

Think of it as Blue Apron for food stamp recipients.

That's how Budget Director Mick Mulvaney described the Trump administration's proposal to replace nearly half of poor Americans' monthly cash benefits with a box of food. It would affect households that receive at least $90 a month in food stamps, or roughly 38 million people.

"USDA America's Harvest Box is a bold, innovative approach to providing nutritious food to people who need assistance feeding themselves and their families -- and all of it is homegrown by American farmers and producers," said Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue in a statement. "It maintains the same level of food value as SNAP [supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program] participants currently receive, provides states flexibility in administering the program, and is responsible to the taxpayers."

Part of the president's fiscal 2019 budget blueprint, the idea immediately sparked concerns and questions among consumer advocates and food retailers. They feared it would upend a much-needed benefit for more than 80% of those in the program.

h, and canned fruits and vegetables. The box would be valued at about half of the SNAP recipient's monthly benefit. The remainder of their benefits would be given to them on electronic benefit cards, as before.

The administration didn't detail exactly how families would receive the food boxes, saying states could distribute them through existing infrastructure, partnerships or directly to residences through delivery services.

The proposal would save nearly $130 billion over 10 years, as well as improve the nutritional value of the program and reduce the potential for fraud, according to the administration.

Consumer advocates, however, questioned whether the federal government could save that much money by purchasing and distributing food on its own. Also, they were concerned that families would not know what food they would get in advance nor have any choice regarding what they receive. Plus, it could be difficult for families to pick up the box, especially if they don't have a car.

Yeah, the part the lost me was they're already projecting savings yet they don't know how the hell they're going to distribute and deliver these boxes? The freaking delivery charge could be more expensive than the groceries themselves.

Not to mention, I can't even get a freaking letter from Houston to Colorado to get delivered consistently. Then you add in the fact that you want recipients to work? Oh yeah that's a good idea, let's leave a box of food on a doorstep in a poor neighborhood. Nothing's going wrong there.

In theory, it's not such a bad idea. A lot of these idiot moms make really bad decisions about what foods to purchase. And there are already some pretty strict guidelines as to what they can and cannot buy with their debit cards.

Work on the details and come back with real numbers before you start having press conferences about how much money you're allegedly going to save. There's just way too much room to screw this up.

I'd be very interested in this administration's views on meals at school like Head Start breakfasts and weekend backpacks and such. Again, I seen these moms make such poor decisions. If you can provide two or three hot meals to kids per day, you know that money is being spent effectively on the children. Add in a weekend backpack with say jar of peanut butter and some fruit and what not and again it's a good idea. But something tells me this Administration would be opposed to things like that.

Don't wanna argue I don't wanna debate

Don't want to hear about what kind of food you hate

I shall not reference his name for fear of conjuring him back, however:

If only we had an expert on how to buy crabs legs and lobster tails with their snap cards.

In response to the question in the thread topic.

Only when they are picking up the check.

Ohhh. I get it. Only less government interference when it suits certain people

Welfies should get a 3 pound block of cheese and a bag of rice per family per month. A dog house per person to sleep in, and a three year limit to get a job, then the cheese gets cut off.

Just the losers at life would get told what to eat. It's a great idea. May even cause some of the fatties on welfare to lose weight.

• Like 1

When I was in the Army, the government dictated exactly what I was going to eat.

Another thing the Army did was they gave me a paycheck. One thing I could do with that paycheck was that if I didn't like the food the government was providing for me for free, I could go buy different food. So I would suggest to people unhappy with the government's choices over what free food they can eat, to maybe consider getting a job as it opens up your dining options considerably.

• Like 2

When I was in the Army, the government dictated exactly what I was going to eat.

Another thing the Army did was they gave me a paycheck. One thing I could do with that paycheck was that if I didn't like the food the government was providing for me for free, I could go buy different food. So I would suggest to people unhappy with the government's choices over what free food they can to eat, to maybe consider getting a job as it opens up your dining options considerably.

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Ohhh. I get it. Only less government interference when it suits certain people

The Gov implements it and private business bids for the jobs and runs it. Win win win win win.

Consumer advocates, however, questioned whether the federal government could save that much money by purchasing and distributing food on its own. Also, they were concerned that families would not know what food they would get in advance nor have any choice regarding what they receive. Plus, it could be difficult for families to pick up the box, especially if they don't have a car.

All easily solved. What a great idea to provide desperate families with healthy meals while preventing fraud and price gouging by the evil corporations.

I heard an incredible quote on PBS the other night concerning black America that really could apply to anyone. A black activist basically said that of all of the minorities the blacks were the only one to willingly allow the Government to have have so much control over their lives. All the others resisted.

• Like 1

It's like throwing a $20 at a pan handler holding a sign saying hungry.

I'd prefer to throw a sandwich at the hungry person, but often they scoff at that.

• Like 1

Another thing the Army did was they gave me a paycheck. One thing I could do with that paycheck was that if I didn't like the food the government was providing for me for free, I could go buy different food. So I would suggest to people unhappy with the government's choices over what free food they can eat, to maybe consider getting a job as it opens up your dining options considerably.

This. I always think of a time I was at the check out line and the woman in front of me had 2 overflowing baskets of food and paid for it with the flag card. I'm paying for it and her family was eating better than mine. Somehow that's just not right.

• Like 1

This. I always think of a time I was at the check out line and the woman in front of me had 2 overflowing baskets of food and paid for it with the flag card. I'm paying for it and her family was eating better than mine. Somehow that's just not right.

Make better choices.

Yeah, the part the lost me was they're already projecting savings yet they don't know how the hell they're going to distribute and deliver these boxes? The freaking delivery charge could be more expensive than the groceries themselves.

I'm assuming after eating out of one of these boxes for a month they could prolly get current recipients to deliver them for an 8 hour day for a $10 McDonalds gift card.

Welfies should get a 3 pound block of cheese and a bag of rice per family per month. A dog house per person to sleep in, and a three year limit to get a job, then the cheese gets cut off.

You would cut the cheese? :dunno:

There's a difference. You are basically property of the gov, not a civ.

I'm not surprised that people in this thread don't mind more government interference since it doesn't affect them. Party of the selfish.

The distribution and delivery piece can probably be solved by Amazon in about a half hour.

They still get to choose how to spend half their monthly benefit. As the program rolls along, this should eventually be eliminated.

I really dont see much downside here.

If the details work...go for it.

Though projected savings are always artficially high.

If the government is going to run it...prices will soar once lobbyists get involved.

And Blue Aprin lost a lot of money last year.

I think there is an idea to be had here...but this seems like a poor fix for a tiny problem (if its even a problem)

I'm not surprised that people in this thread don't mind more government interference since it doesn't affect them. Party of the selfish.

Maybe poor people should unionize.

• Like 1

Not sure what the problem is...yes the government will dictate what people eat, but it's poor people, so what's the big deal. It's not like it's white kids in a school cafeteria. :dunno:

I can afford to eat whatever I want. I am fine with this

I know the man(Bob Walkenhorst) that wrote this song in 1985,I once told him it was almost eerie how prophetic it was.

I know the man(Bob Walkenhorst) that wrote this song in 1985,I once told him it was almost eerie how prophetic it was.

What round did you take this in the 80's draft?

Food stamps are a Government handout paid for by us working folks. We are running huge deficits no matter who is in office, I am for discussing all available options to lower spending. This idea is pretty damn good, there would be a ton of tweaks to work out obviously but, I really don't see what the problem is.

Frozen is trying to make a play by calling Conservatives hypocrites but, less government yadda yadda, this is literally discussing people who already receive Government handouts... If this option is cheaper and forces people living off the rest of us to make healthier food choices, I am all for it.

Three years lifetime maximum on Government Assistance should be the law. How do I get in Trump's ear with my idea?

Getting Fox News to repeat it would be best. Barring that, Twitter seems to be a good way.

What round did you take this in the 80's draft?

Wanted to take The Rainmakers entire first album but knew full well no one would know who the hell they were.Their first 3 albums were exceptional especially lyrically,hell Newsweek's music critic even pegged them the "next great rock-n-roll band" alas Bob's witty and thought provoking lyrics did not set well with the corporate music world and he's back to playing small venues in the area.

Interesting take coming from a guy who pays an organization to control virtually every aspect of his career.

Interesting take coming from a guy who pays an organization to control virtually every aspect of his career.

and thought process

Im actually fine with this. You dont pay for it, you dont choose. Eat it or dont. Whatever.

And all such food should be in clearly marked packaging and resale of said food or purchase of said food should be a crime.

They should make them eat canned cat food. If it's good enough for the elderly, it's good enough for the poor.

• Like 1

Some of these responses are hard to read. I guess the older I get, the more I've seen, the less black and white the world becomes.

These days, even a college degree is no guarantee. Wages are . Purchasing power is crap. I looked around at what single bedroom apartments run compared to what an hour's wages are and I honestly don't know how people get by. Then you add in the cost of taking care of the really sick kid or a really sick parent and then all the other day to day expenses and it's harder and harder to say fock em, let them eat cat food.

Especially when you look at the amount of billions and trillions given away to corporations and fat cats. Yeah, they create jobs, but a pittance compared to what they keep for themselves.

I don't think anybody should go hungry in a country is Rich As We Are. That's why I really don't have a problem with making sure kids get two and three hot meals at school. If the parents want to make bad decisions, that's on them. But there should be a floor as to what we accept for our nation's children.

Some of these responses are hard to read. I guess the older I get, the more I've seen, the less black and white the world becomes.

These days, even a college degree is no guarantee. Wages are ######. Purchasing power is crap. I looked around at what single bedroom apartments run compared to what an hour's wages are and I honestly don't know how people get by. Then you add in the cost of taking care of the really sick kid or a really sick parent and then all the other day to day expenses and it's harder and harder to say fock em, let them eat cat food.

Especially when you look at the amount of billions and trillions given away to corporations and fat cats. Yeah, they create jobs, but a pittance compared to what they keep for themselves.

I don't think anybody should go hungry in a country is Rich As We Are. That's why I really don't have a problem with making sure kids get two and three hot meals at school. If the parents want to make bad decisions, that's on them. But there should be a floor as to what we accept for our nation's children.

I agree with what youre saying. This way they get nutritious food instead of Doritos from the corner store. It used to annoy me when I worked at a convenience store how many people bought utter crap on EBT.

They should make them eat canned cat food. If it's good enough for the elderly, it's good enough for the poor.

Heathy, cheap food. No candy, chips, cookies, cupcakes, beer, pop/soda/coke.

After 24 months on assistance, welfies should have a red "W" tatooed on their forehead, and their childrens foreheads also. There needs to be shame for people who abuse the system.