Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - RB Derrius Guice, Redskins

I think it’s a tie.

The Benglas should a much better team based on talent.

They have as much issues as the Redskins.

I’m sticking with a tie.

Thanks.

I think Washington has far more disfunction than the Bengals.

Not that I'm saying the Bengals are good. I really think Washington is THAT bad.

keep in mind we are rating the disfunction, not the team itself.

the Lions say hi.

If you are drafting right away be careful..............on TV they were giving multiple reasons he fell including an allusion to an "ongoing investigation that could prove very embarrassing to him and the the team that drafts him".

Shortly after he was taken a different commentator says there is no question he will show his ability "when he makes it onto the field"................there is more going on here than we know about for him to have that many RBs taken ahead of him.

Just saying do your work and/or break ties in favor of another prospect you rate as highly until all is revealed.

Heard another FF podcast yesterday and their "sources" around the league felt that the information released about his potential "issues" were likely false and potentially leaked by one of the teams he outed for asking inappropriate questions during the interviews as retaliation.

They were more concerned that if he actually had missed flights and meeting times then that would be a red flag, but they seem to downplay any of the unsubstantiated character issues around him. Most were drafting him at overall 2 or overall 3 in dynasty rookie drafts.

With the new enforcement of the lowering of the head rule on RB's, I'm not taking RB's like Guice. How many runs is he going to lose because of a 15 yard penalty? Will he get ejected from any games? How long until he learns the new style and how does that affect his game? If he gets too many penalties, how long before he loses touches? I'm staying away from this type of back until I actually see the enforcement of the rule.

Heard another FF podcast yesterday and their "sources" around the league felt that the information released about his potential "issues" were likely false and potentially leaked by one of the teams he outed for asking inappropriate questions during the interviews as retaliation.

They were more concerned that if he actually had missed flights and meeting times then that would be a red flag, but they seem to downplay any of the unsubstantiated character issues around him. Most were drafting him at overall 2 or overall 3 in dynasty rookie drafts.

But couldn't those be indicative of a pattern of "character issues" themselves being quoted?

Most teams won't tolerate late to meetings let alone missing a scheduled flight because that's a big part of the day to day business of being a professional athlete, and its one that affects not just the player but managing the team as a whole. While sh@t happens to everyone from time to time there can be a pattern of behavior that makes an incident out of character with some big picture, and with others not.

We aren't privy to what teams know when it comes to the personal life of top prospects other than dribs and drabs that make it into the media.

When I watch Guice on tape I see the best pure 2 down RB in the draft (yeah better than Barkley in that aspect) who may or may not have untapped potential in the passing game as well. I find it hard to believe he fell as far as he did without real reasons beyond on field performance for all those teams that drafted a RB ahead of him so its easy for me to personally consider there is more here than meets the eye.

In terms of homework since the draft as I recommended all should do, here is all I have found.....so far.

Its possible the ".........on-going investigation that could prove embarrassing to the player and the team that drafts him" was a reference to the report (link below) which sites the NFL could find no evidence of Guice' claims that teams asked him some very loaded questions.................and if that is the case it means he not only made those things up and attributed them as happening to him, but he relayed those falsehoods to a reporter.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23317926/nfl-investigation-says-no-evidence-lsu-tigers-rb-derrius-guice-was-asked-invasive-questions-combine

Rhymes with and or shades of Michael Bennett?

I found it particularly odd that the Seahawks were willing to draft a 1st round RB but chose to pass on Guice. IMO Guice is a perfect fit for the profile I have known the Seahawks to prefer in the past. I could be wrong in my eval of Guice course, its possible I could be wrong in my eval of Penny relative to Guice, its possible they changed their idea of what constitutes ideal........but maybe they saw a little too much Bennett and it spooked them for an investment that high.

Whether someone considers that type of behavior to be an issue or not depends on your personal perspective, but importantly we have a lack of additional information to make a judgement on whether this is a pattern of behavior or completely out of character.

All that said, I think its perfectly acceptable to take Guice as high as 1.02 in drafts if people have done their homework and make the calculation...........what I was saying is until more was known break ties in favor of another prospect people rate as highly. Enough time has now passed that it doesn't appear there is more to come in a worst case kind of way, though neither is that completely off the table. It doesn't mean there isn't risk involved with taking Guice over some others, off field should be an important part of the calculus when thinking about a prospect over the course of a career as opposed to a season. Every choice made that high in a rookie draft is a cost benefit choice, don't forget to invest in Guice, an owner is also passing on the other players available in the draft and likely the opportunity to turn the pick into a different asset/s.

Dynasty FF is a series of risk - reward calculations that span years and every owner makes their own call as to what is an acceptable risk-reward at the price.

With the new enforcement of the lowering of the head rule on RB's, I'm not taking RB's like Guice. How many runs is he going to lose because of a 15 yard penalty? Will he get ejected from any games? How long until he learns the new style and how does that affect his game? If he gets too many penalties, how long before he loses touches? I'm staying away from this type of back until I actually see the enforcement of the rule.

Ridiculous rule. If they enforce it too much, Ill find another sport to watch. The physical nature of play was a lot of the reason the sport was good.

Ridiculous rule. If they enforce it too much, Ill find another sport to watch. The physical nature of play was a lot of the reason the sport was good.

Nailed it.

How much more can they take out of the game.

Until you just play flag football.

It’s getting closer.

Thanks

I'm not so sure it's completely ridiculous, at a certain point it could/would be. By that I mean, how many times have we seen a RB running down field and lowers his helmet into a defender who has already done that, in order to make a tackle? I've seen it a lot. That's a penalty I have no problem being called. The one I would have is the one where the RB is in the backfield and is trying to gain leverage by going low. That's a penalty that should not be called. Will it though? I think it will. Still though, guys who are "power backs", are affected most by this rule. Guys who are "contact" guys are going to be need to be more like the "elusive" guys. Can they be? I doubt it. But, we'll find out. Like I said, for now, I'm going to play this coming season with the approach of targeting and only drafting the "scat back" / "elusive" guys.

Guice has a lot of talent, but as noted I really don't see him as more than a 1st down-2nd down RB. If he's suspect in pass pro, he won't get too many opportunities on 3rd and long. The last thing that Jay Gruden is going to want is having Alex Smith start seeing "ghosts".

The other thing is that Jay has to be committed to running the football. He's always been rather pass-happy in his play-calling. Perine is going to factor in, unfortunately.

I'd put Guice at around 180 carries for 740 yards rushing, 20 catches for 100 yards receiving and 7 TDs. He's probably going to get drafted in 12-team re-draft leagues in the mid 4th round, which is a bit premature.

Guice has a lot of talent, but as noted I really don't see him as more than a 1st down-2nd down RB. If he's suspect in pass pro, he won't get too many opportunities on 3rd and long. The last thing that Jay Gruden is going to want is having Alex Smith start seeing "ghosts".

The other thing is that Jay has to be committed to running the football. He's always been rather pass-happy in his play-calling. Perine is going to factor in, unfortunately.

I'd put Guice at around 180 carries for 740 yards rushing, 20 catches for 100 yards receiving and 7 TDs. He's probably going to get drafted in 12-team re-draft leagues in the mid 4th round, which is a bit premature.

Can't disagree. At least for year 1 in the league. I am going to throw him out early in my auction draft and hope a couple guys are high on him. Since we can contract a certain number of players I'm sure someone will chase. Worse case scenario I get him on the cheap.

I think he will be more like 900 yards.

I traded up for the 1.02 so I could select DG in my Dynasty League. It was between he and the Tampa kid, who I also really like. In hindsight, I feel like I made a mistake. I selected DG based entirely on his ability. His vision is excellent and he runs with power. Combine that with a nasty streak and some above average moves and you have a gem in waiting. Well, that was before I researched Gruden and how he uses his RB's. He's very open about not using his "banger" on 3rd down. He likes, and believes in, a change of pace back. Strike One. The Redskins have an average offensive line, but it typically gets beaten up in run protection and blocking. Strike Two. After seeing how many times per season Gruden pulls and switches his running backs, I have to wonder if DG will even get the opportunity to show what he can do. Strike Three. I may have made a mistake based on where he landed.

On the plus side; He does get to face the Giants Defense twice. Changing to a 3-4 isn't easy and I'm not convinced their front 7 is good enough to stop a good running back yet. The Eagles can rush the passer, but they overrun plays when doing so and leave lanes for the running back, which showed in their run defense last year. The Cowboys are changing defenses as well. The opportunity for Guice to perform well is definitely there, but is Gruden the proper Head Coach to take advantage of his abilities? Personally, I thought Guice was a better running back than Fournette and I've watched them both for a couple of seasons. He wasn't as lucky with where he landed though.

The lack of a coach that will indeed let Guice be a true work horse that I think he can be, is the biggest knock against the landing spot for him.

I agree with your excellent post about this situation oldtimer.

Thank you.

And I just have a feeling that if Jay G doesnt produce a good team not a great team but a good team this season, hes gone.