Sign in to follow this  
DonS

CBD options for pain relief

A few weeks ago I mentioned in a thread about HPV that I was just diagnosed with throat cancer. I'll be starting radiation treatments shortly and the biggest issue will be painful throat (imagine that!), trouble swallowing, and dry mouth. Pain can lead to a downward spiral of not eating, resulting in even less energy and weight loss, and then worst case needing a feeding tube. FOCK THAT.

As a resident of WA I'll have no shortage of cannibis options if I choose to go that route. My limited understanding is that strains/products with high CBD / low THC content can help with pain/relaxation without making you feel "high". I'll still need to function so I can't be baked all the time.

Smoking isn't an option as last thing I'll need is more irritation but a quick check of a local pot store's website menu shows there are a ton of non-smoking options: edibles, sodas, oils, tinctures. Edibles might not work, but I was wondering if any of you guys have any knowledge of the other options? WTF is a tincture anyways?

Thanks.

Dont they have like oils or those drops? (Sorry not all up on the weed lingo and products) Figured that might be easier for you

I have no other recommendations but sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Were you a smoker or just bad luck?

Thanks everyone.

Back to topic... can someone explain how cbd/thc oil is consumed? Yeah yeah yeah I can google, but you fockers are experts on everything so figured you could save me the research.

bummer Don, yes get as high of a CBD content as you can, CBD is our no 1 selling product, for that I recommend straight drops, dosing small and working up to a gram a day eventually. make sure you get straight cbd, unless you cant stomach the taste, then look for something in like a coconut oil, or you can mix it into a smoothie. avoid things like cookies/brownies and candies (candies are ok if they are homogenized) Dont get suckered of people selling cbd off the interent, that is still illegal, and they are selling hemp labeled CBD, its a very low content

as far as flower, our CBD flower ranges from 14-19% and our oil tests over 90%, so if you are ever in Cali let me know. Just make sure you find a reputable place you feel comfortable. most importantly go into dispensaries (do medical still exit there) and talk to them, most are very learned on the various products.

also talk to your doctor and let him know you want to use CDB. as far as CBD for pain killer though its not as effective as THC, but at least you don't get high. Some people do experience body highs from CBD

• Like 1

Best wishes man.

Ive mentioned it her before, but it may be helpful to do so again.

The one time I tried hash, it was awesome. Nothing like the paranoia and scatter/brainedness I experiences with pot.

Not sure why exactly, but might be worth checking out.

bummer Don, yes get as high of a CBD content as you can, CBD is our no 1 selling product, for that I recommend straight drops, dosing small and working up to a gram a day eventually. make sure you get straight cbd, unless you cant stomach the taste, then look for something in like a coconut oil, or you can mix it into a smoothie. avoid things like cookies/brownies and candies (candies are ok if they are homogenized) Dont get suckered of people selling cbd off the interent, that is still illegal, and they are selling hemp labeled CBD, its a very low content

as far as flower, our CBD flower ranges from 14-19% and our oil tests over 90%, so if you are ever in Cali let me know. Just make sure you find a reputable place you feel comfortable. most importantly go into dispensaries (do medical still exit there) and talk to them, most are very learned on the various products.

also talk to your doctor and let him know you want to use CDB. as far as CBD for pain killer though its not as effective as THC, but at least you don't get high. Some people do experience body highs from CBD

Great info.

It sounds like you must work in the industry. Which means you have probably seen many people take CBD and heard many stories. I have heard a handful of stories from people I know about CBD helping with cancer. Some say it helps with the side effects of treatment, some say it helps with the tumors themselves.

What have you seen? I realize you are not a doctor, just asking if you have met people who claim that CBD actually fights the cancer itself.

Wow! GC never ceases to amaze with the breadth of knowledge (and ignorance) you guys possess.

Raiders -- yeah when we spoke to the various doctors we mentioned how we might look towards CBD as an option. They were fine with it but didn't offer any advice. The chemo doc said she would give me vicodin if needed for pain but I'd rather not go down that road if I can help it. I had seen some of the claims about CBD potentially helping fight cancer so that would be a bonus if true.

There is a nice pot shop nearby. I've been in there a couple times :ninja: and they were very helpful. Basically told them I hadnt smoked since college -- back when there was only WEED and you had no idea of strains and you hoped it wasn't all twigs. I ended up getting several different pre-rolled joints to check out different strains. Kinda like a taster flight at a microbrewery. They have a great website as well with bunch of info and full menu.

So straight drops is like an eye dropper dose to the tongue, or else something you mix in with a smoothie/drink?

Great info.

It sounds like you must work in the industry. Which means you have probably seen many people take CBD and heard many stories. I have heard a handful of stories from people I know about CBD helping with cancer. Some say it helps with the side effects of treatment, some say it helps with the tumors themselves.

What have you seen? I realize you are not a doctor, just asking if you have met people who claim that CBD actually fights the cancer itself.

CBD and any medical weed or related products afaik are all about managing symptoms and easing quality of life while getting treatment. Helping regain appetite, managing pain, anxiety etc. Also DonS should prefer to get info like this from Raiders rather than the actual (alleged) doctor, Penultimate, who is utterly clueless on this (and really anything medical) subject.

Wow! GC never ceases to amaze with the breadth of knowledge (and ignorance) you guys possess.

Raiders -- yeah when we spoke to the various doctors we mentioned how we might look towards CBD as an option. They were fine with it but didn't offer any advice. The chemo doc said she would give me vicodin if needed for pain but I'd rather not go down that road if I can help it. I had seen some of the claims about CBD potentially helping fight cancer so that would be a bonus if true.

There is a nice pot shop nearby. I've been in there a couple times :ninja: and they were very helpful. Basically told them I hadnt smoked since college -- back when there was only WEED and you had no idea of strains and you hoped it wasn't all twigs. I ended up getting several different pre-rolled joints to check out different strains. Kinda like a taster flight at a microbrewery. They have a great website as well with bunch of info and full menu.

So straight drops is like an eye dropper dose to the tongue, or else something you mix in with a smoothie/drink?

right, straight drops or pure oil, if its drops its usually diluted with coconut oil (thats the best imo) or glycerine. You can also get it in capsules too (we make those in all sizes)

under the tongue is going to be your quickest absorbed method, but yah you can mix it into a smoothie, some of the oils taste bad, others not so bad. Also if its pure, the lighter the color the more pure it is, should almost be like a amber/yellow. You don't want dark green, there is a lot of chlorophyll in it still, meaning they extracted it wet and didn't cure it properly

CBD and any medical weed or related products afaik are all about managing symptoms and easing quality of life while getting treatment. Helping regain appetite, managing pain, anxiety etc. Also DonS should prefer to get info like this from Raiders rather than the actual (alleged) doctor, Penultimate, who is utterly clueless on this (and really anything medical) subject.

First off, fock you and your trolling attempt.

For the OP:

I've linked the state of the science article on cannabinoids here a couple times: http://nationalacademies.org/hmd/~/media/Files/Report%20Files/2017/Cannabis-Health-Effects/Cannabis-conclusions.pdf

Cliffs notes: There's good evidence it works for chronic pain, including that due to cancer. But the best data is for neuropathic pain (pain related to nerve damage), and it only has a modest effect on pain reduction overall. There is a narrow range of effective dosing, with higher doses sometimes paradoxically increasing discomfort. It is less clear what role it plays in managing acute pain, as may follow surgery or radiation therapy for your throat cancer.

Now the research is still evolving, but don't get fooled by the assumption that natural cannabinoids can only help. They have potential for side effects and toxicity just like prescribed drugs. And the industry is much less closely regulated than regular pharmaceuticals. I know opioid addiction is a big problem in this country, but conventional pain meds can still be used safely and effectively in most patients. Cancer patients in particular seem less likely than other pain sufferers to get addicted to strong pain meds like morphine.

With all due respect to RaidersHater, I'd be cautious about taking advice from someone with financial interest in the growing the CBD market. I'd trust your doctor's recommendations, try conventional pain meds first and add THC/CBD if those meds can't cut it or the side effects are unbearable. Good luck.

ETA There is no good evidence cannabinoids fight cancer. At best you'll get moderate pain control and stimulate your appetite.

Great info.

I guess you can say I am part of the industry, I am a co-owner of an extremely large cannabis company, and we are in the final stages of opening a 65 acre Hemp farm and a 2.5 acre indoor grow facility and manufacturing plant in Palm Springs area.

We started when my dad got cancer, I started growing, basically then CBD was really unknown, and my mom started researching Rick Simpson Oil (extraction process) we gave it to him the final 2 years of his life and he never was on a single pain killer other than Morphine the final 2 days. He had 4 types of cancer. Had we known what we know now, we are pretty confident that we could have extended his life even further, as CDB will have the agents to help the body fight Cancerous cells, and works great in conjuncture with chemo to eradicate and keep away the cells from returning.

Anyways, if you have researched the epilepsy and seizures and such we have helped quite a few people out there and some made videos of products they got from us. We also help all vets with medical cannabis pro-bono

• Like 1

not going to quote, but my interest is hardly about financial issues Pen, and I find it insulting. Did you become a DR for financial? Are you on big pharma payroll?

I did it to help my dad, and others, for 6 years everything I have grown has made me net ZERO

• Like 1

I could debate with Pen that the English alphabet has 26 letters and he would argue with me and say he cant find any scientific study that supports that claim.

not going to quote, but my interest is hardly about financial issues Pen, and I find it insulting. Did you become a DR for financial? Are you on big pharma payroll?

I did it to help my dad, and others, for 6 years everything I have grown has made me net ZERO

Sorry to insult you. My point is his trust should remain in his doctors. If he wants to go all-in on alternative/complementary therapies, that's his prerogative, but realize marijuana is a big business too, subject to the same greed/corruption as anything else.

And no, I didn't go into medicine for the $, nor am I on any pharmaceutical payroll.

Sorry to insult you. My point is his trust should remain in his doctors. If he wants to go all-in on alternative/complementary therapies, that's his prerogative, but realize marijuana is a big business too, subject to the same greed/corruption as anything else.

And no, I didn't go into medicine for the $, nor am I on any pharmaceutical payroll.

exactly therefore I wouldn't insult you to say that your in it for the money

every business out there operates to make money, and over 25% of all of our products we give away at cost or free

our motto has basically always been if you actually need it for an ailment its our cost, and if you can't afford that its free. If you want recreational well we make up the difference there

• Like 1

Pen...just once in your life, one time...say the following phrase...

“Huh, I didn’t know that, thanks for the info, you learn something new every day.”

Lol. Well that escalated quickly. Thanks for all the input guys.

I didnt read everything. Were you a tobacco user? Also, I hope they dont need to remove anything

Scroll back up. Non smoker. Left a link to where I gave a rundown in a different thread.

exactly therefore I wouldn't insult you to say that your in it for the money

every business out there operates to make money, and over 25% of all of our products we give away at cost or free

our motto has basically always been if you actually need it for an ailment its our cost, and if you can't afford that its free. If you want recreational well we make up the difference there

And medical collections are around 50% what we bill, so basically I'm giving away half my service for free. Likely more than that as I take care of many uninsured patients. But that wasn't my point either.

I am sorry I implied you were only in business for the money. I just want to make sure Don realizes the pros and cons of his decision, from both those advocating alternative therapies and more conventional practitioners.

Thanks guys I really appreciate all the responses.

Pen -- I understand where you're coming from. I mentioned above that I briefly discussed with the various oncologists. At the end of the day I'll obviously go with what they recommend. I'm just looking into anything that will help me thru the next several months of suck.

Thanks guys I really appreciate all the responses.

Pen -- I understand where you're coming from. I mentioned above that I briefly discussed with the various oncologists. At the end of the day I'll obviously go with what they recommend. I'm just looking into anything that will help me thru the next several months of suck.

You seem reasonable about combining conventional and alternative therapies, but I've seen too many patients get caught in the trap of thinking "natural" remedies, with little proven benefit but potential for harm, are the way to go. Medical cannabinoids are better than most complementary treatments, but the data is still evolving. Glad to hear your cancer is treatable, and you're not going to stray from your doc's recommendations.

You seem reasonable about combining conventional and alternative therapies, but I've seen too many patients get caught in the trap of thinking "natural" remedies, with little proven benefit but potential for harm, are the way to go. Medical cannabinoids are better than most complementary treatments, but the data is still evolving. Glad to hear your cancer is treatable, and you're not going to stray from your doc's recommendations.

:thumbsup:

I guess you can say I am part of the industry, I am a co-owner of an extremely large cannabis company, and we are in the final stages of opening a 65 acre Hemp farm and a 2.5 acre indoor grow facility and manufacturing plant in Palm Springs area.

We started when my dad got cancer, I started growing, basically then CBD was really unknown, and my mom started researching Rick Simpson Oil (extraction process) we gave it to him the final 2 years of his life and he never was on a single pain killer other than Morphine the final 2 days. He had 4 types of cancer. Had we known what we know now, we are pretty confident that we could have extended his life even further, as CDB will have the agents to help the body fight Cancerous cells, and works great in conjuncture with chemo to eradicate and keep away the cells from returning.

Anyways, if you have researched the epilepsy and seizures and such we have helped quite a few people out there and some made videos of products they got from us. We also help all vets with medical cannabis pro-bono

Been on vacation but wanted to mention I had watched a documentary on Simpson that was very good.

Also props on what you're doing to help others and good luck Don,I would definitely research CBD and take Raiders advice.

• Like 1

Just to add a FWIW there's a really good 4 part series that CNN put out on the topic as a whole,part 4 includes interviews with two former NFL players.No offense to Pen as I'm nowhere close to a doctor but I've seen my mrs(36C) on pain meds and every arthritic medication for over 10+ years now for her RA and yes they give her some relief but she still battles pain daily and it irritates the hell out of me that her main RA doctor wants nothing to do with even discussing the possibility of trying CBD and she refuses to seek further opinions.

Just to add a FWIW there's a really good 4 part series that CNN put out on the topic as a whole,part 4 includes interviews with two former NFL players.No offense to Pen as I'm nowhere close to a doctor but I've seen my mrs(36C) on pain meds and every arthritic medication for over 10+ years now for her RA and yes they give her some relief but she still battles pain daily and it irritates the hell out of me that her main RA doctor wants nothing to do with even discussing the possibility of trying CBD and she refuses to seek further opinions.

Sounds like your issue is with your wifes rheumatologist. Id have no problem with her trying CBD - my issue is using it instead of conventional pain meds, which the OP seems to have written off without even giving them a chance. Its not a good comparison either, as his cancer/radiation pain will likely be temporary, in contrast to the chronic pain of RA. The best drugs for the latter arent opioids in any event.

Dont they have like oils or those drops? (Sorry not all up on the weed lingo and products) Figured that might be easier for you

you would be better of with a suppository.

good luck Dons

At this point how many states haven't legalized yet? If you're in a state that hasn't, have there been any voter initiatives which have made it to the ballot? 

I am sitting here with a 30ml bottle of SunMed CBD in the 600mg strength. It is the broad spectrum water soluble tincture.

The ingredients are:

Purified water

Glycerin

Sorbitol

THC free Hemp Extract

Cannibidiol

Quillaja Saponaria Saponins

Sodium Benzoate

Potassium Sorbate 

I use it to help me sleep and it works. I had been taking it with a small amount of water. For the last few days, I was just putting some drops I'm my mouth.