Sign in to follow this  
mmmmm...beer

Mmmmm...beer's Low Carb Trial

Inclusions which arent healthy: Lard, bone broth, meat, especially beef, grass fed or not. Bacon and dairy, which are advocated variably.

Exclusions which are healthy: Some fruits like apples, citrus, legumes, whole grains.

But the ratios are the biggest problem. The blue zone diets are no where near the fat or protein intake as VLC diets. Veggies, fruits, legumes, nuts and whole grains should be the bulk of ones diet, roughly 80-90% of caloric intake. Animal protein should be eaten sparingly. And training your body to metabolize fats is nonsense.

Basically, substitute animal protein and fat for carbohydrates in your description of an appropriate diet :thumbsup:

ETA Unless youre a competitive eater, there is no way you will gain a few pounds after a single meal.

1. No it's not; you should look into it. It's a growing branch of knowledge in the competitive training field. :thumbsup:

2. I gained 0.7 lbs in 3 days; too long between to measurements to conclude the effect. That being said, I managed to not gorge myself which is not typically the case with this particular customer; he took pity on me when I said I was trying to do a low-carb purge by not ordering too many rolls.

1. No it's not; you should look into it. It's a growing branch of knowledge in the competitive training field. :thumbsup:

2. I gained 0.7 lbs in 3 days; too long between to measurements to conclude the effect. That being said, I managed to not gorge myself which is not typically the case with this particular customer; he took pity on me when I said I was trying to do a low-carb purge by not ordering too many rolls.

It's kind of a semantic argument. To me, training implies a methodology to improve performance resulting in long-term physiologic adaptations. Anyone who depletes their glycogen stores and minimizes carbohydrate intake will covert to ketosis - it's our body's response to the starvation state. You'll continue to utilize ketone bodies for fuel as long as glucose isn't around, but as soon as you eat a diet containing sufficient carbohydrates, you shift back to glucose almost immediately. Your body always prefers glucose. Maybe a few enzymes for ketone utilization are temporarily up-regulated, but your actual ability to make and use ketones derived from fats doesn't change much.

Contrast that to training for weight lifting or running. If you lift or run regularly, your body makes short and long term changes to improve strength and endurance. The gains don't immediately evaporate if you take a rest day, and you develop "muscle memory" which makes those exercises easier even if you take a prolonged hiatus.

As to point 2, 3/4 of a pound in 3 days is nowhere near a few pounds after a single meal. I'll accept that as an admission your original statement was hyperbole. :thumbsup:

So I plateaued on my weight loss and read about this sort of thing quite a bit being normal, though it can be discouraging.

I know I sure was discouraged. I had been dropping weight pretty easily on keto, but unfortunately I got to 235.6 and I sat there... from July 22, until finally August 9th I hit 234 lbs. It took 18 days to shed that 1 pound!

Now just a week later I'm at 232.2 lbs this morning.

I think your body just needs an adjustment phase...

I was at 262 on Jan 1st... -30 lbs this year... today. To be honest I didn't start keto until the last week in May. Down -24-ish lbs since then.

So I plateaued on my weight loss and read about this sort of thing quite a bit being normal, though it can be discouraging.

I know I sure was discouraged. I had been dropping weight pretty easily on keto, but unfortunately I got to 235.6 and I sat there... from July 22, until finally August 9th I hit 234 lbs. It took 18 days to shed that 1 pound!

Now just a week later I'm at 232.2 lbs this morning.

I think your body just needs an adjustment phase...

I was at 262 on Jan 1st... -30 lbs this year... today. To be honest I didn't start keto until the last week in May. Down -24-ish lbs since then.

Have you tried Intermittent fasting?

I hear many people overcome the plateau by not eating for a day or three.

Most people don't even feel hungry either. Your body is straight up burning fat.

Have you tried Intermittent fasting?

I hear many people overcome the plateau by not eating for a day or three.

Most people don't even feel hungry either. Your body is straight up burning fat.

Yeah... that's sort of how I broke it initially... fasted lunch for two days...

I don't do a full day.. no way two in a row... I need energy for lifting.

How you doing on yours? :huh:

Yeah... that's sort of how I broke it initially... fasted lunch for two days...

I don't do a full day.. no way two in a row... I need energy for lifting.

How you doing on yours? :huh:

I've been traveling a lot for Handgun Training, so it's tough to eat proper on the road.

Overall I'm down about 11lbs.

Planning on going back to the gym here soon and back on Keto for the fall. I'd like to get down to 200 again (18lbs away).

• Like 1

So... it's been several months now gents. Start out 256.... now somewhere around 225-230 depending on activity level and food intake.

Doc my bloodwork hasn't been this good in quite awhile.... I eat a pretty high saturated fat diet, medium protein, and low carb. I thought i was supposed to be waiting for a cardiac event by now?

Triglycerides way down.... Cholesterol down... HDL is actually up... LDL down.... A1C down to 5.7 from 6.4 and average glucose down 20 points since the beginning of the year!

Cholesterol - 128
Triglyceride - 81

HDL - 37

Chol/HDL Ratio - 3.5

LDL - 75

Hemoglobin A1C - 5.7

Est Ave Glucose - 117

Still eating around 2000 calories a day... lifting say... 3-5 days a week.... really starting to cut up I think.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e11/plainsmouse/Misc/42325025_10212994442641255_6168919182885781504_n_zpsrnl64zpu.jpg

• Like 1

So... it's been several months now gents. Start out 256.... now somewhere around 225-230 depending on activity level and food intake.

Doc my bloodwork hasn't been this good in quite awhile.... I eat a pretty high saturated fat diet, medium protein, and low carb. I thought i was supposed to be waiting for a cardiac event by now?

Triglycerides way down.... Cholesterol down... HDL is actually up... LDL down.... A1C down to 5.7 from 6.4 and average glucose down 20 points since the beginning of the year!

Cholesterol - 128

Triglyceride - 81

HDL - 37

Chol/HDL Ratio - 3.5

LDL - 75

Hemoglobin A1C - 5.7

Est Ave Glucose - 117

Still eating around 2000 calories a day... lifting say... 3-5 days a week.... really starting to cut up I think.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e11/plainsmouse/Misc/42325025_10212994442641255_6168919182885781504_n_zpsrnl64zpu.jpg

Dude, I think we have pretty good internet rapport, so Ill restate:

The good

1. Short term weight loss can be accomplished with ketogenic diets, better than many traditional diets.

2. Lipid panels and A1c improvements are similar with low carbohydrate and low fat diets.

Not so good

1. Despite lipid and glycemic control, there is evidence that eating diets high in animal proteins promotes atherogenesis (plaque in arteries which lead to vascular disease, ie. heart attacks and strokes). We dont have enough long term data looking at these endpoints to know how clinically significant this may be, but vascular disease takes decades to develop, not a few months. But diabetes already puts you behind the eight ball.

2. There are other health problems with eating an animal protein laden diet - certain cancers, kidney stones, and gout. This is not to say meat, eggs and dairy cant be eaten sparingly, nor does it ignore that certain plant based foods also can contribute.

3. Any diet will fail if you cant maintain it, and theres reason to believe VLC diets are no better, and perhaps worse to maintain long-term.

Anyhoo, based on the collective data Ive read, multiple discussions with my friend who runs an academic weight management center, and common sense dietary gestalt from long-lived populations, Id never recommend a VLC diet to my patients. If it works for you and can be continued long term, good luck I guess. Just remember the goal of any diet is health, not just what you see in the mirror.

Stepping down from the soapbox, you ever eat quark?

PS Your HDL is a little low. Maybe do a little less lifting and more cardiovascular training?

Dude, I think we have pretty good internet rapport, so Ill restate:

Stepping down from the soapbox, you ever eat quark?

PS Your HDL is a little low. Maybe do a little less lifting and more cardiovascular training?

I had to look up quark... and in doing so remembered that I had heard of it awhile ago, but have never come across it. Super interesting though and now that I'm back out in the Portland granola area, I'm betting I can find it reasonably easy. Thanks for the tip.

HDL as been chronically low no matter what I do... has been forever. I can drink a ton of fish oil... eat all the good fats... It just doesn't respond. I don't think I've ever seen it above 40. Though at 37 its about as good as I've ever seen it. Even when I'm in really good cardio shape... dunno man.. my body just doesn't do HDL.

I get your research and don't nessicerily disagree with anything other than....my main goal...

#1 Look Good.... :D

Then yes health.. longevity.. cardio health... blah blah blah... but refer to #1.

I had to look up quark... and in doing so remembered that I had heard of it awhile ago, but have never come across it. Super interesting though and now that I'm back out in the Portland granola area, I'm betting I can find it reasonably easy. Thanks for the tip.

HDL as been chronically low no matter what I do... has been forever. I can drink a ton of fish oil... eat all the good fats... It just doesn't respond. I don't think I've ever seen it above 40. Though at 37 its about as good as I've ever seen it. Even when I'm in really good cardio shape... dunno man.. my body just doesn't do HDL.

I get your research and don't nessicerily disagree with anything other than....my main goal...

#1 Look Good.... :D

Then yes health.. longevity.. cardio health... blah blah blah... but refer to #1.

But a healthier diet and looking good are also possible. :dunno:

Cholesterol - 128

Triglyceride - 81

HDL - 37

Chol/HDL Ratio - 3.5

LDL - 75

Hemoglobin A1C - 5.7

Est Ave Glucose - 117

Cut up?

So... 6 months later.. 234 this morning. Still down -22 lbs.

Off keto for a bit... back on now. Wanting to end up somewhere around 215 said and done...

There are plenty of ways to go about weight loss.

Eating less and eating better is undefeated.

So boys.... one year later abouts.  So.. did keto pretty religiously until Nov 2018.. again in Jan.  2019

Since the news of my pending move for work in early March I got a bout of depression... coupled with my inherent anxiety I didn't give a fock what I ate.  Last week.. day after Memorial day.. back on ketos.. 243 ---> 234.  Only 4# off my low.  

Going to go for the 210's by end of summer.

Still doing really good with this.. still -25 to -30 after a year.

4 hours ago, mmmmm...beer said:

So boys.... one year later abouts.  So.. did keto pretty religiously until Nov 2018.. again in Jan.  2019

Since the news of my pending move for work in early March I got a bout of depression... coupled with my inherent anxiety I didn't give a fock what I ate.  Last week.. day after Memorial day.. back on ketos.. 243 ---> 234.  Only 4# off my low.  

Going to go for the 210's by end of summer.

Still doing really good with this.. still -25 to -30 after a year.

Let’s see the before and after.

1 hour ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Actually still about right there... I didn't quit lifting.

Cmon.  I wanna see your melon.

I am doing Keto, but mt starting point is 360...

Down 20lbs in 2 weeks and rather enjoying salads, spam and eggs. That and beef and chicken is about all i get, other than Adkins snacks and zero sugar Powerade, which I actually quite enjoy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, star69 said:

I am doing Keto, but mt starting point is 360...

Down 20lbs in 2 weeks and rather enjoying salads, spam and eggs. That and beef and chicken is about all i get, other than Adkins snacks and zero sugar Powerade, which I actually quite enjoy.

Good for you, and good luck.  I'm a big fan of the sugar free Powerade as well.  Laying off sugary drinks and HFCS are the easiest way to see results.  :cheers:

• Like 1