Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

Anyone done jury duty?

Im sure yall have. Never done it personally. Had the summons for them back when I was in the military but got out of it since I was in Texas at the time. Wife just got a letter for jury duty today. Wants to know if there are ways to get out of it. Any of you have suggestions? Also, if she does end up going do they pay and feed you while youre there?

Called for it every few years. Every time I go from courtroom to courtroom, never even get called to answer any questions, go home. Last few times I was dismissed the night before without having to show up at all.

I got called once. My dad promptly got me out of it. We were a two man firm. One man being gone would kind of be a problem.

Ive always wanted to actually.

I did it once, it was a great experience. It was a cocaine case built on circumstantial evidence. It lasted two days and we found the guy not guilty. I was paid mileage and they did feed us. One meal was at one of the better restaurants in town, the others were catered in. We were not sequestered.

Hell no. I dont get paid to miss work and I am the main provider. I will never do it as long as i dont get paid for it

I did it once, it was a great experience. It was a cocaine case built on circumstantial evidence. It lasted two days and we found the guy not guilty. I was paid mileage and they did feed us. One meal was at one of the better restaurants in town, the others were catered in. We were not sequestered.

Should have put them away. You know they were guilty

Got a letter a few years back but they said I didn't have to come in when I called in. Guess I'm safe for like 6 years now or whatever it is.

Just tell them you don't like black people in your pre-interview. You'll skate :thumbsup:

Got a letter a few years back but they said I didn't have to come in when I called in. Guess I'm safe for like 6 years now or whatever it is.

Just tell them you don't like black people in your pre-interview. You'll skate :thumbsup:

I have heard some bad stories about that. They kept a guy every day since he was trying to get out of it

I got called once. My dad promptly got me out of it. We were a two man firm. One man being gone would kind of be a problem.

Ive always wanted to actually.

I've had to go to the courthouse twice in 29 years here, neither time ever left the holding pen. First time was before I was in sales. Once I entered sales, I claimed a grievance whenever I was called and was disqualified. Eventually they figured the loophole out and changed it to where you needed a note from your employer to be excused.

I wouldn't mind serving once at this point for the experience.

Itd be the questionnaire they give you that the attorneys use for jury selection. If you identify bias in some aspect or another youll get one of the lawyers to want you off it

Ive had jury duty 3 times, served on one trial and it was a very enlightening experience

This is surprising. My wife has been called for jury duty 4 times already and shes only 25. This one is the first time shes been called for it down here though.

This is surprising. My wife has been called for jury duty 4 times already and shes only 25. This one is the first time shes been called for it down here though.

When I had the loophole to get out, eventually they just stopped sending me summons (summonses?) For a while.

in nj you can only get called once every 3 years.

Go the 18th. 2nd time in my life. First time I got out because I knew the defendant and knew she was guilty of arson.

Been called 3 times, never made it past voir dire - but at least that much is kind of cool... I always take the full day though - so I don't mind.

Here you get $6 for day 1, $40 a day after that.

Got called for it a little while back.

Prosecutor gave a speech about how the the show CSI has made it difficult to convict people because people expect fingerprints and blood samples for every trial. He then joked "you look thrilled to be here" during the interview part. I guess I looked a bit miserable. We all had a good laugh.

It was a possession of illegal firearm trial so prosecutor asked how I felt about guns. I told him I am pro-2nd amendment, but believe in restrictions.

They chose me for the jury.

Entire trial was based on defendents ex-girlfriend, who ended up refusing to testify against him. We all agreed he was probably guilty, but the evidence wasn't concrete enough to convict.

Not guilty

NEVER been called in my life.

:first: :clap:

Been called 3 times, never made it past voir dire - but at least that much is kind of cool... I always take the full day though - so I don't mind.

Here you get $6 for day 1, $40 a day after that.

What Mexican would say no to that!?

• Like 1

Not voting helps

Go the 18th. 2nd time in my life. First time I got out because I knew the defendant and knew she was guilty of arson.

Small county? That's an odd coincidence

I'm only 46 and I've had at least 6 jury summons.... went to all but the last one which I threw in the garbage - enough is enough. I rolled the dice I wouldn't get in trouble and nothing happened. I've heard the judge only sends out arrest warrants if not enough juror's show up. Guess I was lucky.

I was picked once - voted the ghetto skank guilty of shoplifting.

One time I got a summons while I was moving. I wrote back "I no longer live in Seminole County - besides jury duty is woman's work." Damn if I didn't get another summons in my new county a month later. Somebody didn't think my joke was funny and made a phone call. <_<

Philadelphia County gives you a phone # to call the night before to see if youre still needed. Last two times I got a summons I was dismissed without having to show up.

Or shes using that as an excuse to go to her foremans house. Play a little 12 angry men. :lol:

(Im just focking around, chill)

Got out of my first summons a few months ago. Took all day. The judge gave a long, thorough, persuasive lecture/exhortation about why to not seek dismissal. I mentioned here that when I raised my hand for the paper to petition to be excused, after that lecture, both the judge and the bailiff who handed it to me were visibly pissed. Titans mentioned that's not unusual, which was good to know.

7 day murder trial. Took 2 minutes to reach a unanimous guilty verdict. Took 5 days to sentence him to 60 years.

Got out of my first summons a few months ago. Took all day. The judge gave a long, thorough, persuasive lecture/exhortation about why to not seek dismissal. I mentioned here that when I raised my hand for the paper to petition to be excused, after that lecture, both the judge and the bailiff who handed it to me were visibly pissed. Titans mentioned that's not unusual, which was good to know.

CH tried to renege on a commitment? I'm shocked!

One of the best things I ever did.

It's like God said, well you may be a fuk chop, but you're here to do one thing right. Everything he ever gave me was for that one job.

Or shes using that as an excuse to go to her foremans house. Play a little 12 angry men. :lol:

(Im just focking around, chill)

Nah this is the very first time shes going. The past 3 were when she was in the military so she got out of it

Got on my first jury earlier this year. Focking illegal pervert whacking it to chicks in an apartment complex. Anyways, was a good experience but much more responsibility than I thought it would be. In that jury room you realize how important your decision is. I have a lot more understanding and sympathy for juries that make tough decisions to declare someone "not guilty" than I used to. You don't want to ruin someones life if you don't come to the correct decision as a jury. In this case, we found the guy guilty against one chick and not guilty against the other.

Nah this is the very first time shes going. The past 3 were when she was in the military so she got out of it

Sure

44 and I'm with you! :doublethumbsup:

Bunch of suckers.

I had jury duty once, the very first time I was called, at age 22. It was a 6 person jury for drunk driving and several motor vehicle violations. The DD charge was dropped on a technicality. On one of the motor vehicle violations, it was 5-1 (me being the 1) to convict. I changed my vote to Guilty because I was leaving that night for a ski weekend, and it was getting past 5:00 PM. The judge talked with the jury afterwards, and said he would've kept us there until 9:00 if we hadn't come to a decision. He also said we came to the right decisions on all the charges. So...win, win