Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Amazon Prime Wardrobe. Try on the clothes, before you buy them.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/exclusive-1st-look-amazons-prime-wardrobe-lets-try-121203070--abc-news-fashion-and-beauty.html

Amazon has revealed its latest online shopping innovation: ‘Prime Wardrobe’ where customers can try on clothes and accessories before making a purchase -- from the comfort of their own home.

"Good Morning America" got an exclusive first look today at Amazon's Prime Wardrobe feature, which ships shoppers parcels of clothes and accessories to try on at home without requiring a purchase first. Launched as an invite-only beta last year, today Amazon is making Prime Wardrobe available to all Prime members in the U.S.

"Prime Wardrobe is really about taking the pain points out of online shopping," Kate Dimmock, the fashion director at Amazon Fashion, told ABC News' Rebecca Jarvis.

"What we kept hearing from our customers was that they wanted to shop for fashion with us, but they wanted to try things on," Dimmock added. "They wanted to touch, they wanted to feel, but they didn't want to see a huge amount of money taken from their credit cards."

With Prime Wardrobe, customers can select at least three and up to eight items, including clothes, shoes and accessories.

When a shipment arrives, customers have seven days to decide what to keep and what to send back. Unlike traditional online retailers, however, there's zero upfront cost.

Instead, customers can pay for only what they decide to keep and send the rest back in a re-sealable box with a prepaid label that comes with the items.

Dimmock said that Amazon sees "fashion as a huge opportunity."

Americans spent more than $450 billion shopping online last year, according to data from the U.S. Department of Commerce.

Good Housekeeping's Style Director Lori Bergamotto told "GMA" that Amazon has "really cornered the market on innovation" in the world of online shopping.

"Nobody can compete with their delivery systems," she added. "There needs to be a shift in the way consumers are shopping for clothes, because Amazon has just come in and disrupted everything, and if you don't change the way that you're playing in the game, you're going to lose."

Many traditional retailers have also rolled out new approaches to shopping.

Ann Taylor recently launched its own clothing rental service, “Infinite Style,” and Walmart just launched its Jetblack personal shopping service customers can access via text message.

Moreover, a whole new crop of personal style services such as Stitchfix and Trunk Club are capitalizing on consumers' desire to make shopping even easier by offering curated boxes of clothes and accessories delivered straight to a shopper's door, with the option to subscribe.

"The marketplace in fashion retail is so crowded right now and so noisy," Bergamotto said. "If you want to be heard, if you want people to find your label and your clothes, you need to be bold and you need to be innovative."

I want to say game changer. BUT this seems like a focking logistical nightmare.

Bezos is the devil. Also, most of their clothing and shoes etc have always been free returns. I think the only difference now is they don't charge you unless you keep it.

• Like 1

Bezos is the devil. Also, most of their clothing and shoes etc have always been free returns. I think the only difference now is they don't charge you unless you keep it.

That's a game changer if you ask me

That's a game changer if you ask me

I don't see it. You are not usually charged for nearly a full month anyway. How long does it take the average person to realize that it doesn't fit?

I think they just changed one minor thing and re-branded it like it's something new and exciting. He just can't rest until he puts every retailer out of business.

I don't see it. You are not usually charged for nearly a full month anyway. How long does it take the average person to realize that it doesn't fit?

its perfect for people that dont live near a good clothing place and people that are too busy to get to one. it's not for everyone

I'm filling a box as we speak

I used this a few months ago. You have to order 3 things and maybe a dollar amount to be eligible. I ended up keeping all 3, when I really wasnt interested in more than the first item initially.

They sent a return label with the package that makes it super easy to return, but again, the goal is to get you to order more than you want. (Which I did)

Original Jeff Bezo's post seeking developers for Amazon - 08/22/1994 on UseNet

Well-capitalized start-up seeks extremely talented C/C++/Unix

developers to help pioneer commerce on the Internet. You must have
experience designing and building large and complex (yet maintainable)
systems, and you should be able to do so in about one-third the time
that most competent people think possible. You should have a BS, MS,
or PhD in Computer Science or the equivalent. Top-notch communication
skills are essential. Familiarity with web servers and HTML would be
helpful but is not necessary.

Expect talented, motivated, intense, and interesting co-workers. Must
be willing to relocate to the Seattle area (we will help cover moving
costs).

Your compensation will include meaningful equity ownership.

Send resume and cover letter to Jeff Bezos:

mail: be...@netcom.com
fax: 206/828-0951
US mail: Cadabra, Inc.
10704 N.E. 28th St.
Bellevue, WA 98004

We are an equal opportunity employer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
"It's easier to invent the future than to predict it." -- Alan Kay
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Crazy.

its perfect for people that dont live near a good clothing place and people that are too busy to get to one. it's not for everyone

I'm filling a box as we speak

Don't come crying to me when you can't buy a pair of socks cause all your stores are shuttered. Have fun going barefoot for 3 days as you wait on your delivery.

Men that say Super a lot make me nauseous

Don't come crying to me when you can't buy a pair of socks cause all your stores are shuttered. Have fun going barefoot for 3 days as you wait on your delivery.

Or just order before you run out of socks.

Bezos is the devil.

:nono:

love my prime membership almost as much as I love amazon stock. :wub: :wub: :wub:

Men that say Super a lot make me nauseous

Thuper? :dunno:

Thuper? :dunno:

Thats preferable. I expect gays to be gay. No problem.

Just filled up my 1st box.

THUPER!

eta: not a fan of waiting 4 to 6 days, but oh well, I don't even need new clothes

eta 2: what do they do when I report the package never showed up :o

You were right, Ed.  I was wrong.  It is super convenient.  I have ordered some work pants in different sizes and kept the ones that fit and just did the same with some boots.  The only thing they could improve on imo is having UPS pick up the box but that's nitpicking.

8 hours ago, fandandy said:

You were right, Ed.  I was wrong.  It is super convenient.  I have ordered some work pants in different sizes and kept the ones that fit and just did the same with some boots.  The only thing they could improve on imo is having UPS pick up the box but that's nitpicking.

I've ordered from them thrice now. little more expensive, but thuper convenient.

It's also a good way for some to get some lady's wear. And um, experiment.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

How about getting the clothes to digitally try on people before they are sent? That's a real game changer

There are already providers that allow you to measure yourself with online tools.  That will be added to the Amazon model soon, I would expect.  I also like that they have something where people can rate the fit so that you know whether this particular item runs larger or smaller than others.  

On 6/20/2018 at 10:35 AM, avoiding injuries said:
On 6/20/2018 at 10:32 AM, fandandy said:

Or just order before you run out of socks.

Lol....god I love this board some days. Haha.

On 6/20/2018 at 11:32 AM, fandandy said:

I keep an emergency pair of socks in my freezer just for such an emergency.

39 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

I keep an emergency pair of socks in my freezer just for such an emergency.

I worked with a guy who would take his sweaty socks off at the end of the day, roll them up and put them into his desk drawer to put on the next day. He would do this for multiple days 🤮

On 6/20/2018 at 11:20 AM, fandandy said:

21 hours ago, fandandy said:

:(

What happened?

12 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

:(

What happened?

I needed some work pants.  I used to always wear a certain type of Carhartt cargo to work in and they stopped making them.  A customer recently came in wearing Riggs and he said he really liked them so I ordered I think 4 different sizes on Prime Wardrobe to see what fit me.  You're right though but it saved me from trying to find them in a local store and once I knew my size I ordered 4 more pairs from Wrangler's website.  The boots were the same thing though, about $70 cheaper on Amazon and I ordered 3 different sizes.

I'm a hypocrite.  :(

• Sad 1

You better check if that stuff ships from China. That box could be full of the virus. 

21 hours ago, fandandy said:

There’s a $6 fee for UPS to pick up returns, but they offer it. 

So you could basically just keep 8-10 items of clothing going back and forth at all times, wear them a time or two, and send them back. Have an ever changing wardrobe. 

34 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

So you could basically just keep 8-10 items of clothing going back and forth at all times, wear them a time or two, and send them back. Have an ever changing wardrobe. 

Sounds like a lot of work to save a few bucks

Just now, Frozenbeernuts said:

Sounds like a lot of work to save a few bucks

Sure. But there are a lot of shiftless focks out there. Is there a dollar limit, or is high end designer stuff available too? High end sneakers? I see a lot of problems for Amazon with this. 

I'm certain there would be a limit sooner or later.  Not sure what it is though, I haven't read the fine print.  So far I have made 3 separate orders.  4 pairs of pants, 4 shirts, and 3 pairs of boots.  I ended up keeping one pair of boots.  I thought I had kept the pants but sent them back and re-ordered a larger size not using wardrobe.  I don't know what you consider hight end but the boots were $200 Danner's that I got for $140.  (they sent 3 pairs - different sizes)

It definitely doesn't seem like a viable business model long term.

Let’s say I need work pants. I go to the store, try on 4-5 pairs and buy the 1-2 that fit right. This seems like less hassle than waiting for a UPS package and returning the ones I don’t want. 

:dunno: 

Hmm, I don't know.  To each their own.  Riggs workwear cargo pants, who even sells those around here?  I don't know.  I'm not gonna call around or drive around trying to find a specific item in a specific size and color.  What a pain in my ass that would be.  It's bad enough taking the return box to a UPS store.

3 hours ago, MDC said:

Let’s say I need work pants. I go to the store, try on 4-5 pairs and buy the 1-2 that fit right. This seems like less hassle than waiting for a UPS package and returning the ones I don’t want. 

Not even close. Finding sizes in most stores are a focking nightmare.  with Amazon, they send exactly the size you ask for. 

and what do you mean wait for a UPS package? You stand outside waiting for the mailman too? :dunno:

When I get home from work, VOILA, MAGIC, there is the package. When I return what i don't want, I drop it right one of the those fedex/ups giant mailbox things

31 minutes ago, edjr said:

Not even close. Finding sizes in most stores are a focking nightmare.  with Amazon, they send exactly the size you ask for. 

and what do you mean wait for a UPS package? You stand outside waiting for the mailman too? :dunno:

When I get home from work, VOILA, MAGIC, there is the package. When I return what i don't want, I drop it right one of the those fedex/ups giant mailbox things

I don’t have trouble finding sizes in stores. :dunno: 

You’ve got to re-package the clothes you don’t want, print a return label and schedule a pickup or drop off at a UPS box right? Sounds like a hassle. If I need clothes I just go to Macy’s and it’s done.

I’m not against online shopping. This model wouldn’t work for me, for most clothes.

On 1/25/2020 at 12:36 PM, MDC said:

I don’t have trouble finding sizes in stores. :dunno: 

You’ve got to re-package the clothes you don’t want, print a return label and schedule a pickup or drop off at a UPS box right? Sounds like a hassle. If I need clothes I just go to Macy’s and it’s done.

I’m not against online shopping. This model wouldn’t work for me, for most clothes.

All you have to do is print out the UPC return code, stick it on the on the item and bring it to UPS. UPS will scan the code, package it, label it, and send it out. Very easy and painless.

Just now, Baker Boy said:

All you have to do is print out the UPC return code, stick it on the on the item and bring it to UPS. UPS will scan the code, package it, label it, and send it out. Very easy and painless.

As long as I’m going to UPS I might as well go to Macy’s. That way I leave with clothes I know fit, same day.

Just now, MDC said:

As long as I’m going to UPS I might as well go to Macy’s. That way I leave with clothes I know fit, same day.

I was correcting your uninformed description of the Amazon return policy. 

6 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

It is even easier for me.  I have a regular UPS and FedEx pickups at my office.  I just bring my returns into work and they get taken care of that day.  As soon as the UPS guys scans it, Amazon lists my item as "returned".  Very easy.  

• Thanks 1

On 1/25/2020 at 10:00 AM, fandandy said:

I'm certain there would be a limit sooner or later.  Not sure what it is though, I haven't read the fine print.  So far I have made 3 separate orders.  4 pairs of pants, 4 shirts, and 3 pairs of boots.  I ended up keeping one pair of boots.  I thought I had kept the pants but sent them back and re-ordered a larger size not using wardrobe.  I don't know what you consider hight end but the boots were $200 Danner's that I got for $140.  (they sent 3 pairs - different sizes)

It definitely doesn't seem like a viable business model long term.

See that, you didn't compromise your principles, you're just now working to take Bezos down from within.  :ninja: