Sign in to follow this  
GreatGray

Mahomes

I'm going to the Chiefs 1st home game, week 3 Sept. 23rd. The 49ers are coming to town. Can't wait, my first NFL game ever, and Garoppolo is my QB in my only league, 2QB league. I had Marquise Goodwin at the end of last year and will try to draft him again and I'm going to try and draft Mahomes too.

I'm going to the Chiefs 1st home game, week 3 Sept. 23rd. The 49ers are coming to town. Can't wait, my first NFL game ever, and Garoppolo is my QB in my only league, 2QB league. I had Marquise Goodwin at the end of last year and will try to draft him again and I'm going to try and draft Mahomes too.

Go early. Tailgate. And have fun dude. Loudest fans and stadium in the NFL. It will be rocking for sure.

Go early. Tailgate. And have fun dude. Loudest fans and stadium in the NFL. It will be rocking for sure.

Yea we are going early and tailgating, probably 8:30 AM for a 12:00 pm game. Really looking forward to it.

People are overrating pass attempts in Reid's offense. It's a true West coast offense with mostly short passes. 3500 - 25 is the historical good season. The average is about 3300 - 20. There is no reason to believe Mahomes can duplicate Smiths success off the bat.

You should know better. KC fans like to point out this game, yet no tape or film yet existed for DC's to game plan on. Once DC's start getting tape on him, seeing game film action and tendencies, they'll start hammering him with different looks. He'll turn the ball over, and he'll make some plays. Even Elway and Manning struggled as rookies, though he technically isn't. There's much to be said for carrying a clipboard for a year.

I like what they did, trading up for him. I follow plenty of KC bloggers on twitter, they think Reid can build a different version of the offense custom for Mahomes. The key is how much Reid allows him to freelance outside the confines of the offense. The Smith version was built around timing and angles, showcasing the playmakers rather than the QB. Based on the absolute of field position and limiting turnovers. Mahomes' is most lethal when the play breaks down and he's free-lancing outside the pocket. Coupled with KC's weapons this could be bad news for teams. But he'll also disrupt Reid's offensive flow if it isn't a high percentage play, or especially if he throws a pick. Fantasy-wise he'll make some plays, and make some turnovers. Someone mentioned the KC defense, which I agree will be worse. David Amerson is like throwing gas on a fire. Can't believe they signed him.

• Like 1

People are overrating pass attempts in Reid's offense. It's a true West coast offense with mostly short passes. 3500 - 25 is the historical good season. The average is about 3300 - 20. There is no reason to believe Mahomes can duplicate Smiths success off the bat.

I don't really know how accurate you are on this. I mean, that is the case with Alex Smith, but not so sure that works across the board. In a way, it kind of fits with McNabb, but he was a different case. Reid used McNabb's running ability quite a bit instead of just always passing the ball, so he was still a top 10 fantasy QB. As McNabb got older, he ran less and the passing numbers jumped. In McNabb's last 6 seasons, his 16-game average was 4,000 yards and 26 TD's.

If you look historically at the results, guys who are actually good (and better), like Garcia, Hasselbeck, McNabb, Favre, Young, and Montana, they were high end fantasy QB's. Guys who didn't produce, weren't good QB's, Flacco, Collins, and alike. You'll find very few WCO QB's not produce good fantasy numbers if they're actually good QB's. Heck, even Aaron Brooks was a top 10 fantasy QB for a handful of seasons in the WCO.

I don't really know how accurate you are on this. I mean, that is the case with Alex Smith, but not so sure that works across the board. In a way, it kind of fits with McNabb, but he was a different case. Reid used McNabb's running ability quite a bit instead of just always passing the ball, so he was still a top 10 fantasy QB. As McNabb got older, he ran less and the passing numbers jumped. In McNabb's last 6 seasons, his 16-game average was 4,000 yards and 26 TD's.

Tough to judge McNabb on speculation over 16 games. He was certainly injured a lot and that had an affect on Reid's numbers. However, people are expecting Mahomes to improve or at least equal numbers that it took Smith 5 years to get to or took McNabb 5 years to get to. I stand by my statement that Reid brings QBs along slowly. 3300/3500 - 18/23 are logical expectations. That puts Mahomes in the 15-20 range of QBs.

Tough to judge McNabb on speculation over 16 games. He was certainly injured a lot and that had an affect on Reid's numbers. However, people are expecting Mahomes to improve or at least equal numbers that it took Smith 5 years to get to or took McNabb 5 years to get to. I stand by my statement that Reid brings QBs along slowly. 3300/3500 - 18/23 are logical expectations. That puts Mahomes in the 15-20 range of QBs.

I'm just using Pro-football-reference.com's 16-game projection as a guide. Yeah, he was injured a lot, but that was because of his running ability. You're using McNabb's athleticism against him. See, you say it "took McNabb 5 years to get to", that point. But it didn't. McNabb was using his legs because could, not because he had to. When he couldn't, he used his arm, and that's when his passing numbers jumped. So it's not like it took McNabb all that time to become a better passer. Now, even if you want to stick to the line that it did take McNabb 5 years to get to that point, you'll have to remember that coming out of Syracuse, he wasn't the kind of "passer" that Mahomes is. Mahomes passer with mobility, not a mobile passer. Another thing to consider is that while McNabb did play some crappy receiving talent in his early years with the Eagles. Mahomes is going to have a stud TE and good WR along with a great RB and RB depth. McNabb didn't have that.

Now I'm certainly not going to say Mahomes is going to light it up, but I do thing he is more likely to meet and even exceed, your projected ceiling (15), than hit your projected floor (20). I think 12-16 is very reasonable.

I think 12-16 is very reasonable.

Certainly possible, but if you give the nod to veteran passers in good situations he ends up closer to 20. This site has Mahomes ahead of Big Ben, Cousins, Mariota, Goff, Smith, Dalton, Tannehill, Carr, which is just nuts IMO.

Certainly possible, but if you give the nod to veteran passers in good situations he ends up closer to 20. This site has Mahomes ahead of Big Ben, Cousins, Mariota, Goff, Smith, Dalton, Tannehill, Carr, which is just nuts IMO.

I would take him over Mariota, Smith, Dalton, Tannehill, and Carr. Not over Ben, Cousins, or Goff... but I may change my mind on Goff/Mahomes.

Do people just forget how good Goff was last season? 3800 28 7 100.5 and they got Cooks. He’s miles ahead of everyone on that list and I’d take him over Ryan and Stafford too.

Do people just forget how good Goff was last season? 3800 28 7 100.5 and they got Cooks. Hes miles ahead of everyone on that list and Id take him over Ryan and Stafford too.

Shhhhh

Do people just forget how good Goff was last season? 3800 28 7 100.5 and they got Cooks. He’s miles ahead of everyone on that list and I’d take him over Ryan and Stafford too.

Last year Goff finished as QB12, he's going off at QB15. Two of the guys going before him that didn't finish ahead of him didn't play a full season (Luck and Garoppolo). Luck I understand, Garoppolo is... ok I guess. A riskier pick, but I get it. Another player that's going ahead of him in drafts that finished behind him last year is Matt Ryan. I think that's reasonable. Now, if your real beef is simply with people willing to take Mahomes over Goff, then I'd simply say that's just a matter of personal opinion. Like I said, Goff was a QB2 last year and is probably a low-1 / high-2 this year. Mahomes probably rates around the same... but probably more like a high-2. Really, there isn't much of a gap there. Last year, the QB10 had 275 points and QB15 had 245 points. Sure, that's 2 points per week, but not everybody plays 16 games either. Keenum, QB15 last year, played in 14.5 games. Had he played all 16, he might have made it to QB10... and he would have been a FA pickup.

Goff finished ahead of Ryan last year and you think that means that Goff can get better, but Ryan can't... even though Ryan was QB2 just the season before. You're also surprised that Stafford is going ahead of Goff even though last year... and almost every other year of Stafford's career he's been a top 10 QB.

Interesting. Any real analysis behind you're reasoning other than, "they got Cooks"? Brandin Cooks' typical season is 76/1130/8 (with Drew Brees and Tom Brady). Last year, Watkins had 39/593/8. So basically, the only difference to be expected, from an upgrade standpoint is about 550 yards. You think that's only going to be "added value" and that it's not going to come at the expense of someone else? In most leagues, that's only 22 fantasy points... essentially only 1.75 points per game. I'm not so sure that Goff can get the same out of Cooks that Brady and Brees did. I'm less confident that he can get more.

• Like 1

Please, Baby Jesus Please let people be down on Jimmy G!!!!!!!

I'm rolling Jimmy G and Goff as the b/u this year. Coaching matters kids!!

Carr is going to be QB28 this year!! lol

As for Mahomes, I get the enthusiasm. I really do, but I think he's at least a year away. He's going to throw a lot of picks this year.

Reid has said the Chiefs first team offense will play the entire first half against the Falcons on Friday.

I am having reservations about Kelce at his price with Mahomes as his QB. Second TE off the board, seemed like Alex Smith was perfect for him. Overthinking?

tough call on Mahomes....bottomline.

Love his weapons, but something just gives me pause.....prolly Reid.

Would probably wait and draft Bortles over him as my upside QB2.

Yes, that's Blake Bortles......and Mayfield too.

I am having reservations about Kelce at his price with Mahomes as his QB. Second TE off the board, seemed like Alex Smith was perfect for him. Overthinking?

Not at all overthinking, it’s prob the right amount of thinking. He’s good enough to be a top 3 te without Smith but that bar might not be high enough to warrant the price. I prefer Evan Ingram later, but one td in preseason and that value will be gone.

Don't understand it either. McVay is a friggin offensive genius and Goff gets it. The only reason Goff's numbers aren't bigger is because the offense is too efficient. Same in San Fran. Shanahan and JG are a match.

Reid has said the Chiefs first team offense will play the entire first half against the Falcons on Friday.

I'm using a PTO day tomorrow, going to grill burgers and brats and you are all welcome to come hang out; bring a side dish if you like :cheers:

Mahomes just hit hill 70 yards in the air :pointstosky:

Traveled 68.6 yards in the air, longer than any td thrown in the air in 2017

Thats insane.

I heard the dude on local radio when asked where he could toss a hail Maryseveral week's back,and he said give him a touchback lol

It's tecmo bowl time in kc lol

Traveled 68.6 yards in the air, longer than any td thrown in the air in 2017

because of bonus points this would have been like a 20+ pont play for qb and wr. That one play could swing a game. Im reaching for him and watson.

because of bonus points this would have been like a 20+ pont play for qb and wr. That one play could swing a game. Im reaching for him and watson.

Im always on the anti Watson train. Never lives up to his mythical projections. Tyreek is priced about right and if you can get a deal on watson fine but I wouldnt reach.

My bad I meant Watkins. Did you mean Sammy Watkins as well?

Im always on the anti Watson train. Never lives up to his mythical projections. Tyreek is priced about right and if you can get a deal on watson fine but I wouldnt reach.

Had he played all season watson would have been my leagues top scorer.

Had he played all season watson would have been my leagues top scorer.

I meant Watkins lol. I assume thats who he meant as well since Sammy plays for them. Watson is a savage beast, Id be fine reaching for him if early QB is your thing.

Chiefs’ Patrick Mahomes is showing he’s more than just another pretty arm

By Tuesday, Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes allowed as how he had seen a few replays of the preposterous 69-yard touchdown pass he threw to Tyreek Hill on Friday in Atlanta. That said …

“Not as much as I think everyone else has,” he said, smiling.

Sure, it was an exhilarating moment for Chiefs fans and Hill and Mahomes, whose 68.6-yard-throw, according to the NFL Network, traveled 6.8 yards farther in the air than any regular-season pass thrown in the league last season.

But the first thing Mahomes said about the play a few days later is, “I underthrew it, to be honest.” He also is keenly aware this was a preseason game.

And we all should know that the trio of defenders in Hill’s wake are longshots to make the Falcons, something that hardly could be put better than my man Sam Mellinger did Friday night when he referred to them as looking “a little like henchmen from an old episode of Batman.”

Meanwhile, Mahomes and anyone who has been paying the slightest attention has known for some years now that he has uncanny arm strength, and that this sort of highlight is really possible — especially with the fastest man in the NFL at his disposal.

What Mahomes thinks more of every day now, and perhaps has for a while, though, is this:

The arm in itself might make grown men drool and enables him to have the capacity for a special career ahead, to possibly do things that few have ever been able to do. But that offers only a sliver of what quarterbacking is, and his arm strength will be reduced to a novelty act if he doesn’t make good on the broader duties and intricacies and nuances of the infinitely complicated position.

That’s why he’s conscious of being more than just some amazing disembodied arm, just a limb the Chiefs are out on.

“You can have the big arm and that’s good, and it helps out in the games, but it doesn’t help you necessarily win games,” said Mahomes, who continues to credit Alex Smith for helping him learn this. “If you want to win games in this league, you have to be efficient.”

So the most gratifying thing to come out of Friday night for Mahomes, and the most significant in his development, was less the sizzle of the play we’ll all remember than the warts-and-all 13-play, 73-yard drive that ended in a field goal.

“That long drive was probably my favorite part about the whole game,” said Mahomes, who completed eight of 12 passes for 138 yards with a touchdown and an interception in one half of play in the 28-14 victory.

That sequence, which included a nullified touchdown pass and a ball that should have been intercepted, was much more instructive about the fundamental operation of the position.

It also was a reflection of how Mahomes has been making good on what coach Andy Reid has been saying all along this preseason, something I’ve come to believe.

“He doesn’t make the same mistake twice, normally,” Reid said again Tuesday, later adding, “It’s important, because there are going to be hiccups as we go. As a young guy, he’s seeing things for the first time in many cases.”

Reid can’t quite mean this literally in every scenario, because certainly Mahomes has made errors of a similar nature more than once. But he can say it with conviction in some more figurative conceptual senses.

Along those lines, perhaps nothing stood out more than a play Reid spoke about in a teleconference Saturday but that he and Mahomes expanded on Tuesday.

Facing third and 11 from the Chiefs’ 44-yard-line, Reid called a play for tight end Travis Kelce as the primary receiver on a corner route to the right side of the field.

It was the opposite side of the field but the same play, Reid said, as the one run in the preseason opener that Mahomes badly overthrew.

This time, Mahomes released the ball well before Kelce’s cut and feathered it perfectly for a 14-yard gain — my personal favorite play of his that day.

It wasn’t merely that Mahomes’ footwork and timing were better than in the previous version. It also was testimony to a few other substantial things, including the chemistry building through ongoing extra work last week with Kelce.

“He’s always just in the right space and the right spot,” Mahomes said. “So for me, I can throw it and trust that he will be in that spot. And that’s a big thing to have for a quarterback.”

So is his understanding that those plays are as much or more crucial than the ad-libbed to the offensive prospects of the Chiefs. They doubtless will conjure a number of jaw-dropping plays from Mahomes to Hill or Kelce or Sammy Watkins and others … but can’t expect that on its own to mean winning football.

Instead, they’ll still have to rely on some time-honored formulas.

“Good third-down teams are teams that usually have success in this league,” said Mahomes, who considered the aforementioned pass more challenging than his TD pass to Hill. “I felt like it was a harder throw and a little better spiral.”

Asked which was more difficult in his eyes, Reid smiled and said, “Um, not everyone can do the long one.”

That said, though, while “the long ones will come,” Reid knows the intermediate game is everything. And he liked what that play said about Mahomes’ mindset both in terms of preparation and resilience.

“No hesitation” to do it again, Reid said, despite the previous week’s misfire.

Of course, this was with vanilla offense against scaled-down defensive looks in games that don’t matter.

When the regular season starts at the Los Angeles Chargers on Sept. 9, Mahomes can expect to see plenty he’s never faced before and make some mistakes.

“That kind of continues through the first year; you see it, and you work through it,” Reid said. “It doesn’t mean that you can’t be successful and win games and all that. That’s not what that means.

“It’s important that when you see (the same looks or situations) again, you don’t make the same mistake. That can be a problem.”

So with starters customarily sitting out the last preseason game, Mahomes will have one more opportunity on Saturday at Chicago to demonstrate that he’s staying true to what Reid is suggesting.

It would be good evidence the trend is continuing if Mahomes this time around doesn’t throw deep into single coverage with the safety cheating over and get picked off again.

Or if he’s not forcing another throw into the end zone that may or may not have been caught by Watkins if he’d come back to the ball.

Early as it is, though, we can say this for Mahomes: Even after all the delirium about his pass to Hill, he’s certainly not making the mistake of thinking any of this is just about showing off how far he can throw.

“Having the arm helps, of course,” he said, later adding, “(But) you can’t force the deep shot, you can’t force the big play. It’s something where it comes within the game and something I have to keep learning as I go on.”

Something he’s showing every early sign of being able to do while appreciating the finer aspects of the job

Chiefs starters expected to play three quarters tomorrow

Chiefs starters expected to play three quarters tomorrow

I can't wait. I drafted Mahomes and Hill in my big money. The league has no penalties for picks and 3 point bonus for long TDS. I have a feeling Mahomes is this years Watson

I can't wait. I drafted Mahomes and Hill in my big money. The league has no penalties for picks and 3 point bonus for long TDS. I have a feeling Mahomes is this years Watson

I am literally in the same situation. I stacked them in the 3rd and 4th. The 72 yard td from mahomes to hill would have been a 60 point play for me.

I am literally in the same situation. I stacked them in the 3rd and 4th. The 72 yard td from mahomes to hill would have been a 60 point play for me.

Damn that's a lot of bonus points

Yea. Bonus for 40plus catch and for a 40plus td. Plus the yards and the td if there is one.

I can't say anybody on the Chiefs offense looked bad...................but putting up 10 points against the Bears second and third string D in over a half is not what you want to see.

With a talented young QB like Mahomes (or Manning or Luck back in the day) you can see all the tools are there but it usually turns out a little something is missing here or there due to lack of experience. This skill or that is not quite where it needs to be......... it will all come in due time, but for now drives stall somewhere along the way.

Hoping I'm wrong as I own a chunk of Kelce and its just pre-season but its what I'd expect and its what I'm seeing.

Could be a season early on the doubling up, but I'm rooting alongside you all.

I can't say anybody on the Chiefs offense looked bad...................but putting up 10 points against the Bears second and third string D in over a half is not what you want to see.

With a talented young QB like Mahomes (or Manning or Luck back in the day) you can see all the tools are there but it usually turns out a little something is missing here or there due to lack of experience. This skill or that is not quite where it needs to be......... it will all come in due time, but for now drives stall somewhere along the way.

Hoping I'm wrong as I own a chunk of Kelce and its just pre-season but its what I'd expect and its what I'm seeing.

Could be a season early on the doubling up, but I'm rooting alongside you all.

It's a noveltywhen you draft amongst chiefs fans. The pricecould certainly be worth what you party, but when you draft where he is a third pound pickas a baseline you have to make sure he will produce at that price. I hope the can be worth that kind of pick