Sign in to follow this  
stonewall

Bortles Being Overlooked?

This guy was almost drummed outta the NFL last preseason because he looked so awful. He wound up having a mediocre season (3700 yards/21 TD's/13 int's....plus 320 yards rushing w/2 TD's), but claims to have played with a lot of pain, with a partially torn ligament in his throwing hand which he actually acquired in the 2016 season, but was finally repaired in off season.

He is only 2 years removed from a 4400/35 season which also included 310 rushing w/2 TD's. Those are QB1 #'s. Camp reports are raving (see ESPN story link below), and he arguably has the best receiving corps of his career with Cole, Lee, Chark, Moncrief, and Westbrook.....not to mention ASJ as TE. That's a sweet looking group.

Best of all, he is often going undrafted right now in 12 team redrafts, with guys like Manning, Trubisky, and Dak going before him. Heck, even Tyrod Taylor is beling drafted ahead of him.....and we all know that he might not be playing long before Mayfield sees the field. (BTW, I highly recommend grabbing Mayfield if you have room to stash him.....could be this years Watson.)

Yes, the potential downside is that the Jags have a legit defense and good running game with Fornette, Yeldon, and Grant....which could lead to negative game scripts. However, for a guy that has done it before and costs you nothing, isn't he exactly what we as drafters look for? I definitely ain't pimping him.....in fact, I have never cared much about him. But, instead of trying to figure out which JAG WR to draft, woudn't the smart money be on the free guy chunking them the rock?

http://www.espn.com/blog/jacksonville-jaguars/post/_/id/25659/finally-pain-free-blake-bortles-looks-ready-to-make-big-leap

Last year in one of my leagues, Bortles finished with 2.5 points less than Goff, and was the #13 QB. In another league, he was a half point ahead of Goff and ranked 12th... only 8 points behind Brees.

I'll buy Bortles because I know I can get him super late.

May throw him out early in an auction and won't be mad if I get him super cheap as a QB 2 potential 1

He’s a Qb stud.

Sometimes it takes a few years for QBs to mature. I like Bortles for fantasy this year. He was showing signs of being a strong QB last year. Not every player in the league is great or not great in their first couple years. I remember trading for Antonio Brown on the cheap. Had him on my team as a keeper for 3 years when he blew up to being a catch machine.

He’s worthy of a starting Qb spot.

2015 he was 3rd

2016 he was 8th

Last season he was 13th.

I’m not so sure like other that I like his WRs all that much though.

Stud is too strong a word, relax on that. Serviceable starter or fill in, sure.

I'll see that and raise you.

Throw in "potential league winner". He did it for me in 2015 and he was the overall QB1 for weeks 12-16 last year.

I would be happy to have him as my back up in either of my leagues. Not sure I would want to start the season with him as my starter.

I’m not so sure like other that I like his WRs all that much though.

Actually, this is one of the main reasons I am warming up to him (besides his fantastic ADP). I believe that he potentially has one of the best WR corps in the league.

No standout studs, but 4 very talented WR's and a rookie 2nd rounder with a lot of upside (Chark). Not to mention, ASJ is pretty good TE.

• Like 1

I have a soft spot for Bortles after he carried me to a championship last season when I lost Rodgers. I also rode another Jag by the name of Keelan Cole and they had a great connection down the stretch. If that continues, then the Jags added a more athletic TE in ASJ, get a healthy Dede Westbrook all season, added a "TD catcher" in Moncrief and drafted a very talented WR in Chark. Not a big name group of guys but very solid group. Everyone is going crazy over how Jimmy G closed out the season but you don't hear a peep about Bortles being the #1 QB in fantasy from Week 12-16.

Bortles could lead fantasy teams to win down the stretch this year again. After Jacksonville's bye in week 9 they play:

Week

10 @IND

11 Pitt

12 @Buff

13 IND

14 @Tenn

15 Wash

16 @MIA

• Like 1

Surprised to see a Bortles thread where most people aren't bashing him. And I agree, could be good value in 2 Qb leagues or as a decent backup.

Why are we talking about Blake Bortles? Everyone knows everything that they need to know about him.

Just coming in here and reading these comments almost put me in a coma

He's put up some big numbers but has also been pretty bad at times

If he can be consistent he's not a bad play

He's worth a late round gamble

Bottles looks very bortles like so far. Below average

Staying away in any format.

Fournette downgraded

I owned Bortles a couple years ago. He gets off to slow starts, Finishes strong, and is better than you think at compiling rush yards. That's pretty much what I expect this year, more likely than not to finish in the top 15

Bottles looks very bortles like so far. Below average

Staying away in any format.

Fournette downgraded

Fournette played near his ceiling last year I feel.