Sign in to follow this  
Vince44

Fantasy football: Is it dying?

dying around here, on a fantasy football site no less.  can only get 5 actual IN's for 12 Geeks.  

3 hours ago, Herbivore said:

dying around here, on a fantasy football site no less.  can only get 5 actual IN's for 12 Geeks.  

ill adopt a team.  if you are desperate.

41 minutes ago, taco breath said:

ill adopt a team.  if you are desperate.

eh, more surprised..if we get close to 12 will let you know

It's a fine hobby, but for me it became an addiction, a distraction, an obsession........wish I had the time back to spend on much better things. 😰

Back in the day, there used to be some "skill" to it...  Today, it is all luck...

6 hours ago, Herbivore said:

Tiny little 10 dollar in winner take all and I'd stay. Free is boring as fock. :dunno:

40 minutes ago, shorepatrol said:

Tiny little 10 dollar in winner take all and I'd stay. Free is boring as fock. :dunno:

I hear you shore..with $ we are upto 7

• Like 1

On 8/14/2018 at 8:04 PM, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Havent watched a complete nfl game in 3 years.

You're a Commie . You're dead to me. 

13 hours ago, shorepatrol said:

The best leagues are the free ones...

I quit playing a couple years ago, but I do keep up with my Carolina Panthers.

PSA for all people still playing FF:  WR Curtis Samuel has been the star of camp, he's finally healthy and if stays that way will have a great season.  Curtis and Cam are developing a great rapport. 

• Like 1

Rules evolved to try to hook more casual players.  To hook more casual players, luck was increased.  This unfortunately drove away the core fanbase and the whole thing collapsed.

Rules need to be fixed to help eliminate luck and add skill.  For example:

1. the QB spot is meaningless.  Interceptions should be -6 points.  That would create separation at the QB position and there will be an elite tier of 1-4 QBs that really outscore the rest.

2. Remove 1 point per reception because again that helps make the WR spot meaningless and would actually create separation at RB again as well.

3. Remove defenses because its just random noise.

Usually, every time I post this, I get several people that tell me these are too extreme and then they try to water it down to -4 for ints or -3 and pretty soon we wind up fixing nothing tho so I give up.

5 minutes ago, riversco said:

Rules evolved to try to hook more casual players.  To hook more casual players, luck was increased.  This unfortunately drove away the core fanbase and the whole thing collapsed.

1. the QB spot is meaningless.  Interceptions should be -6 points.  That would create separation at the QB position and there will be an elite tier of 1-4 QBs that really outscore the rest.

2. Remove 1 point per reception because again that helps make the WR spot meaningless and would actually create separation at RB again as well.

Usually, every time I post this, I get several people that tell me these are too extreme and then they try to water it down to -4 for ints or -3 and pretty soon we wind up fixing nothing tho so I give up.

Sounds reasonable. I've long held that the QB posistion should be a premium posistion. 

48 minutes ago, riversco said:

My oldest running league is 6pts for TD, -5 for int, an additional -6 if that int is returned for a td.  No D, TEAM kicker (so you don't have to worry about injury) and you only start 7 (QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR/TE, K).  There's a reason it's been running since '87.

tired of people thinking stats = great

Personally I wish it would die...  If I am watching football highlights or whatever, I don't care if his day would yield 12 fantasy points...

Anyone with a freaking show/podcast/article is an "expert" when none of them actually are...

2 hours ago, Kanil said:

My oldest running league is 6pts for TD, -5 for int, an additional -6 if that int is returned for a td.  No D, TEAM kicker (so you don't have to worry about injury) and you only start 7 (QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR/TE, K).  There's a reason it's been running since '87.

We're -3 for INT and -6 if returned for a td,I like the idea of your -11 but what I don't like are those tipped balls that get returned.

3 hours ago, riversco said:

I think it all depends upon what you would like to accomplish.

1.  QB- I am not sure I would like interceptions being the highest weighted category in determining scoring/performance.

2.  PPR- originally added to try to balance wr and te with rb scoring (in the age of the cowbell).  With changing rules in the NFL and philosophy (rbbc being more pervasive), wrs have become more of a "bellcow" and ppr actually is making more rbs fantasy relevant.  I like .5 for rb,  1 for wr, 1.5 for te.

3. D/ST- defensive/special teams tds can be very unpredictable if you do not have a hester or hill.  Int/FR/sacks/pa and ya are more predictable.  I am in several leagues that have scales for both points allowed and yards allowed.... intends to rewards the defenses with poor offenses.

2.  exactly my point.  when more athletes are relevant, the luck factor increases.  the more luck involved, the less satisfying it is to win.  ppr ruins fantasy football. but like i say, people will always fight to keep ppr and keep qb int penalties low, because they don't understand why scarcity is important to make fantasy thrive, so it cannot be fixed.

1 minute ago, riversco said:

2.  exactly my point.  when more athletes are relevant, the luck factor increases.  the more luck involved, the less satisfying it is to win.  ppr ruins fantasy football.

I disagree with removing the defenses. If anything, I prefer an idp. Defense is a huge part of football. It should be a huge part of fantasy.

But yeah. Screw kickers. Waste of time. And interceptions should be heavily penalized. 

7 minutes ago, riversco said:

2.  exactly my point.  when more athletes are relevant, the luck factor increases.  the more luck involved, the less satisfying it is to win.  ppr ruins fantasy football. but like i say, people will always fight to keep ppr and keep qb int penalties low, because they don't understand why scarcity is important to make fantasy thrive, so it cannot be fixed.

When ppr originated rbs were king.  with the number of touches there was more opportunity to score. wr scoring was mostly unpredictable.  ppr added value to the position by including a tangible contribution to the team's advancement.

biggest luck factors these days seem to be injuries and rbbc (and the beneficiary of the non injured rb in the committee :lol: )

Any retard can draft the first 2 rounds. PPR gives the folks that research a big advantage in the later rounds to get flex and protect from injury to starters. Team DEF is a joke. -2 for regular int is fine, -6 should be for pick sixes. Team kicker is good with length of fg counting for extra.   

• Like 1

Waiver wire needs to be open. Dude that cares enough to wake up at 2am to get his guy should get him. That makes it competitive. Fock rolling waivers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shorepatrol said:

Waiver wire needs to be open. Dude that cares enough to wake up at 2am to get his guy should get him. That makes it competitive. Fock rolling waivers. 

Ours is open 24/7 we don't reward anyone for their team sucking.$200 entry gets you 7 transactions,after that $5 a pop.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2019 at 9:38 AM, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

I would love to. It's more a "middle of the night" thing to me than anything. 

Oh...ok...sorry about that commie thing. 😎