Sign in to follow this  
phins1921

Is Mahomes in the 5th to early?

I am honestly thinking about running with him as my main quarterback. I feel like the potential is there to be very very good with the weapons he has. I know the schedule is very brutal in the beginning but I see a lot of potential in this kid and sometimes as some of you have said that you got to take a chance and just go for it. Just asking everybody's opinion

Yes its too early. You are still picking crucial starters in rnd 5. You can still get Mahomes a few rounds later at least if you must reach. He went rnd 10 to a guy who was pretty high on him last night. Id say 8 is an acceptable reach.

• Like 1

There are not many people who value him that highly. There are so many qbs this year who will be drafted before him. Wait on him. Even if you don't get him there will be someone with close to his upside like Jimmy or Goff

I am honestly thinking about running with him as my main quarterback. I feel like the potential is there to be very very good with the weapons he has. I know the schedule is very brutal in the beginning but I see a lot of potential in this kid and sometimes as some of you have said that you got to take a chance and just go for it. Just asking everybody's opinion

I think you could roll with him as our main QB but you can get him in double digit rounds. Unless he has a Watson like season with out being injured that is the only way he lives up to a 5th round selection. The difference between total points at the end of the season fluctuates much more between WRs and RBs, meaning you need to use that 5th round pick on those positions. In a 10 man league you could even stream QBs if you wanted with what is on the waiver wire.

I just did a mock, I took him in the 10th round of a 12 team draft.

If you really want to make sure, get him in the 8th.

I am a believer in mahomes this year. If he can drop one or 2 long bombs a week to hill i am going to dominate fools.

5 th round is to early for any Qb.

Sorry that’s the way I roll.

• Like 1

My son (11 years old) drafted in his first live draft with friends yesterday and a bunch of 10-13 yr olds in a KC market and the dude went in the 10th round of a 12-man league. And that's after Michael Crabtree went as the second overall pick and some guy named Davis who is a RB for Seattle went in the second round :doh:

• Like 2

Yes

My son (11 years old) drafted in his first live draft with friends yesterday and a bunch of 10-13 yr olds in a KC market and the dude went in the 10th round of a 12-man league. And that's after Michael Crabtree went as the second overall pick and some guy named Davis who is a RB for Seattle went in the second round :doh:

Thismoverloads my cringe muscles in the face. I know they are kids but I still see grown men with 15yrs experience who don’t understand draft concepts still.

You know who you should take in the 5th?

The Garoppolo cuz Marquise Goodwin is gonna outplay Tyreek Hill in 2018.

Championship. :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

You know who you should take in the 5th?

The Garoppolo cuz Marquise Goodwin is gonna outplay Tyreek Hill in 2018.

Championship. :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Even if a magic genie told me Garoppolo would have the best year in FF history I still wouldn’t take him in the 5th. That’s just not how you draft efficiently.

Even if a magic genie told me Garoppolo would have the best year in FF history I still wouldn’t take him in the 5th. That’s just not how you draft efficiently.

Settle down Francis.

I was kidding.

No QB is worth a 5th unless you are in a 2 QB league. And I like Mahomes, but I ended up with Garoppolo and Wentz and I am cool with that.

And Saquon Barkley has planed in N-O NFL games.

I tried saying this to others here, they won't acknowledge that fact.

Any QB taken in first 5 rounds is a mistake. Theres so much depth at QB in a onesie position theres no reason to take one that early. Take Mariota in the 11th

I will zig while everyone else is zagging and say maybe...IF your league really, really values QBs. Think about it more in terms of how many QBs are taken than a specific round.

I think you would be hard pressed to find many leagues where Mahomes is going in the top 10 QBs. So, if hes your guy, take him once 10 are off the board and no sooner. I think approaching it this way would save you several rounds of value in most leagues.

A guy in my main league did this with Wentz last year. Wentz was his guy, but he didnt reach for him. He waited, for him as QB12, and his pick helped him win the league.

• Like 1

You really want to prove a point.. while all the idiots are drafting Bells and Zekes.. you take Mahomes in the 1st.. that'll show em! You can then start a run on QBs and have great RBs and Wrs available in round 5+

The 5th?

That's where you would get a good QB

Not that Mahomes is not going to be good but he's not Aaron Rodgers good

Unless it's a 6 point TD league or a 2QB league, there's no reason to select a QB that early. Even if you're right about him, you're drafting his ceiling. The margin of error on that pick is huge.

If you love him, round 8 should get the job done. I managed to grab him in the 10th of a 12 team league. I also think it's a really good idea to pair him with a high floor QB in the 10-12th. That should give you a QB pairing with limitless upside and a good weekly floor without investing much draft capital.

Examples: Philip Rivers, Matt Ryan, Matt Stafford, Alex Smith

I don't think I would even take him that high in my superflex league.

I picked Russell Wilson in the 5th last year and have no regrets about it. I didn't plan to. But the RB/WR candidates i had focused my interest on had just been snatched from beneath my feet and I didn't feel like wasting a pick on players I felt bleh about. I felt the situation called for taking a time out and selecting a QB or TE I really believed in and then getting back to my RB/WR plans in the rounds to come.

Someone suggested you could get Mariota in the 11th. As it turns out, Mariota stood at #101 in the ADP that was posted just before my draft and I selected Wilson just after pick #50. So for the purposes of this post, I conducted a little experiment and went back and identified 3-4 RBs and 3-4 WRs that were hovering around #50 in that ADP from last year and compared their subsequent performances to the 3-4 RBs & WRs that were hovering around #100. I also compared Russell Wilson's 2017 performance to Mariota's and two other QBs around #100, Cousins and Roethlisberger.

The difference in the PPR points-per-game average for the #50 RB group of Doug Martin - Ameeer Abdullah - LeGarrette Blount - C.J. Anderson compared to the #100 group of Matt Forte - Latavius Murray - Jonathan Stewart - Jaquizz Rodgers was only .95.

Tyreek Hill - Martavis Bryant - Michael Crabtree - Jarvis Landry from the #50 WR group fared a lot better than Jeremy Maclin - Eric Decker - Randall Cobb and Tyrell Williams from #100 with a points-per-game superiority of 4.84. (i couldn't include Davante Adams in the #50 group because I had just selected him a few picks before Wilson.)

But Russell Wilson did best of all with a 6.70 advantage over Mariota, Cousins, and Roethlisberger.

So reality will sometimes slip outside the confines of the generally good and standard advice offered up in this thread.

In fact, I join in with the counsel to discourage you from picking Mahomes so early but would not go so far as to proclaim that it's always a mistake to select a QB in the 5th. Allow some room for flexibility if you feel the situation calls for it

Took him in the 5th..

1-Zeke

2-Mixon

3-Hill

4-Gordon420

5-Mahomes

Had to wait two rounds before next pick and would have kicked myself if he didn't come back to me

In fact, I join in with the counsel to discourage you from picking Mahomes so early but would not go so far as to proclaim that it's always a mistake to select a QB in the 5th. Allow some room for flexibility if you feel the situation calls for it

Assuming this is a redraft league, a proven veteran multi tool QB is a far cry from a 1st year pocket guy. Picking Mahomes in the 5th will almost certainly not make your season, but it could blow it. He would literally have to be the best QB in the league to make that pick worth it.

I was unaware that the Russian troll farms had infiltrated FFToday in order to negatively affect fantasy football drafts! Mahomes in the fifth? Put down whatever it is that you started huffing from under the sink in your parents bathroom. He'll be lucky to be drafted in my main money league.

ICEMAN

Yea don't do that. I got a great deal in getting Cousins in the 6th round and Mahomes in the 11th.

Took him in the 5th..

1-Zeke

2-Mixon

3-Hill

4-Gordon420

5-Mahomes

Had to wait two rounds before next pick and would have kicked myself if he didn't come back to me

How can you be so obtuse?

Wow....I definitely believe way too early. You could probably get him in round 10

In the 5th round you can get Cam or Brees and possibly Brady or Wilson.