Sign in to follow this  
supermike80

Headed to DC this weekend

Wife and I are doing a couple days out there....Any tips? Headed out Thurs after work, coming back Sunday.

Don't go to Hard Rock Cafe.

Do go to the Zoo.

The Nats are home against the Brewers this weekend...

The Mystics are home in game 3 of the playoffs on Friday...

Texas is playing Maryland at FedEx field on Saturday...

D.C. United is home on Sunday... Their new stadium is supposed to be nice...

Don't go to Hard Rock Cafe.

Do go to the Zoo.

Congress?

If you do though, don't feed LIndsay Graham after midnight. :shocking:

Wife and I are doing a couple days out there....Any tips? Headed out Thurs after work, coming back Sunday.

Ever been before? You driving into DC and staying in hotel? Staying in NOVA and taking Metro in?

I grew up in that area. Some of my favorite places are:

Mt. Vernon

The Smithsonian Institute - Air and Space Museum, Natural History

Bull Run battlefield

Ford's Theater

The big three monuments/memorials. Washington, Lincoln, Jefferson.

Million Tranny Walk?

Air and space yes.

Monuments No.

Smithsonian yes

Fords theater no

Hop over to Baltimore

Fells point

Bertha'sfor mussels

Air and space yes.

I haven't been to the Air & Space museum downtown in a LONG time, but Udvar-Hazy (out by Dulles Airport) is really nice and very easy to get to... They charge $15 for parking, but it is worth it IMO...

Doubt DC will be crowded. It will be super hot. Rent some bikes to see the Mall. Go Kayaking on the Potomac. See the Museums.

Where are you staying?

Edited, apparently we have a cool front coming in. Good.

I remember when I was a kid (maybe 11?) the two places I thought were the coolest were the mint, and the FBI tour. They shoot tommy guns and stuff.

The air and space museum was also cool.

ETA - sorry, I thought there were kids involved for some reason. My bad.

Download the Hamilton app and enter the daily lottery for $10 tickets.

plan to visit the Jefferson, Roosevelt and MLK monuments at night ... 8:30 pm or later.

Georgetown and old town Alexandria are good places to pass time.

I would avoid Metro, but if you plan to use it, check for track closures.

plan to visit the Jefferson, Roosevelt and MLK monuments at night ... 8:30 pm or later.

I remember the metro being really sketchy 25 years ago. Cant imagine its improved.

And while yeah, the monuments are nicer at night, I dunno about walking around late like that. Washington is a rough town. One of my vivid memories of the place was seeing piles of bums sleeping on steaming grates in the sidewalk.

Zoo opens at 8 am. If you are a morning (and zoo) person, head there first ... most museums open at 10 am.

Zoo is free. Just pay for parking

Smithsonian is legit cool. Enjoyed it when I went to DC years ago. I think it was back when the Hope Diamond was there on display (not sure if it still is) cause I remember my parents talking about the curse

I remember the metro being really sketchy 25 years ago. Cant imagine its improved.

And while yeah, the monuments are nicer at night, I dunno about walking around late like that. Washington is a rough town. One of my vivid memories of the place was seeing piles of bums sleeping on steaming grates in the sidewalk.

The parts of town that tourists should be in are plenty safe. Zero concern at tidal basin monuments at night as they are staffed by National park service until 10 or 11.

Metro is safe, but highly inconvenient. Years of maintenance neglect are causing entire sections to be closed for weeks at a time, and the system closes earlier than it used to.

Parking at the zoo is upwards of $20 a day now ... I usually grab a spot on the street nearby if its a short visit.

Uber and Lyft are very convenient in DC ... though some sketchy drivers as in other cities.

Stop in and visit Trump, tell him how great he is and your the next director of the FBI.

Air and space yes.

Monuments No.

Smithsonian yes

Fords theater no

Hop over to Baltimore

Fells point

Bertha'sfor mussels

Don't forget Dave and Busters @ Arundel Mills. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Don't forget Dave and Busters @ Arundel Mills. :thumbsup:

Good memory !!!!!!

I live in DC proper, Penn Quarter (near Chinatown), halfway between Capitol and White House. Touristy area, but lots of fun things to do. Most museums are free but I highly recommend you check out the Newseum ( 25/person)....amazing. Also, check out the The Wharf in Southwest DC. Its near Nats ballpark. Great new area/neighborhood in DC that just came about last summer. Lots of restaurants, things to do right on the water. Guaranteed you and wife will love it.

Not like it used to be. Plenty of homeless but the city is well protected. Steer clear of the Southeast and you’ll be fine.

I live in DC proper, Penn Quarter (near Chinatown), halfway between Capitol and White House. Touristy area, but lots of fun things to do. Most museums are free but I highly recommend you check out the Newseum ( 25/person)....amazing. Also, check out the The Wharf in Southwest DC. Its near Nats ballpark. Great new area/neighborhood in DC that just came about last summer. Lots of restaurants, things to do right on the water. Guaranteed you and wife will love it.

Second on the Wharf. Lots of live music if you like that:

https://www.wharfdc.com

Ever been before? You driving into DC and staying in hotel? Staying in NOVA and taking Metro in?

Flying in, staying in a hotel. Not getting a car..Gonna uber and walk. Staying at the Marriott Marquis in DC. Any good? Seems to be walking distance to lots of things.

Doubt DC will be crowded. It will be super hot. Rent some bikes to see the Mall. Go Kayaking on the Potomac. See the Museums.

Where are you staying?

Edited, apparently we have a cool front coming in. Good.

I saw something about paddle boats that give a cool look at some of the monuments. Not sure wife will love that, but imma bring it up. We are are the Marriott Marquis.

Heard for whatever reason DC is VERY not crowded over labor day weekend. Looks like the weather may suck however.

Yeah..All over that. Definitely gonna try that lottery.

Very good call on the monuments...didn't think of that. There are some night tours....Or are those dumb?

And nights moght be tough. Spartans play fri night, Michigan Sat night

Marriott Marquis is a nice, new property by the convention center.

If you like booze, look at https://www.foundingspirits.com for a tour exceptional experience, and free. The restaurant is great too.

The Dabney and Tiger Fork are two super trendy places near your hotel be prepared to wait if you dont have a reservation.

I wouldnt personally do a night tour ... just uber to the Jefferson Memorial and then walk clockwise to FDR and MLK, and then get an uber home. Same place the paddle

Boats are ... and very near printing and engraving ... which I did years ago, cool to a kid. ;-)

If the weather does necessitate indoors, dont overlook the Portrait Gallery ... very eclectic, and good for a wide range of art from traditional to pop. http://npg.si.edu

Oh, and if you find yourself on escalators, know that you stand on the right hand side and walk on the left hand side ... it is a tip.

Oh, and if you find yourself on escalators, know that you stand on the right hand side and walk on the left hand side ... it is a tip.

Good tip. Not just in DC. Should be common knowledge

Yeah..All over that. Definitely gonna try that lottery.

Very good call on the monuments...didn't think of that. There are some night tours....Or are those dumb?

And nights moght be tough. Spartans play fri night, Michigan Sat night

Nighttime, is, without question the best time to tour the monuments. Visiting the Vietnam Memorial at 2 am can be a moving experience.