Sign in to follow this  
carmo911

Bridgewater to the Saints

Little surprised in the timing and the team.

if I'm wanting to get premium dollar for Bridgewater I'm waiting until the season starts and somebody's starting quarterback goes down.

And secondly the Saints are interesting because Bridgewater may not play for several more years.

I also thought the Saints had a rookie QB who had looked very good this preseason...Taysom Hill I think? In fact he was mentioned in the Fantasy Focus podcast i was listening to as maybe being a threat to Savage as the #2QB. Interesting move from the Saints.

Little surprised in the timing and the team.

if I'm wanting to get premium dollar for Bridgewater I'm waiting until the season starts and somebody's starting quarterback goes down.

And secondly the Saints are interesting because Bridgewater may not play for several more years.

My thoughts exactly. And didn't Bridgewater only sign a 1 year deal with the Jets?

Edit: Bridgewater is on a 1 year deal if his contract was not renegotiated as part of the trade.

A few thoughts here. I thought Taysom Hill had played well. I don't know much about him, but he did seem like he had some positive attributes to possibly take over for Brees. Bridgewater was a guy who I liked a lot before the horrific knee injury. Why did the Jets trade the QB who has looked the best on their team? Why not start Bridgewater and then possibly trade Darnold if Bridgewater pans out. Or hold onto two QBs? Is the league so forgetful that they already misremembered how the Eagles having two viable starting QBs on their roster won them a SB? What a bunch of idiots.

Good for the Saints though. They have been making much better personnel decisions as of late imo. They may have 3 legit QBs on their roster. Though I'm not sure how much good having 3 vs two does them.

Bridgewater and a 6th for a 3rd round pick.

I don't get it from the Jets side.

Decent value for a player they gave nothing for and they don't have much use for. I mean yeah would be a nice to have but 3rd (for a 6th) worth more to them.

Decent value for a player they gave nothing for and they don't have much use for. I mean yeah would be a nice to have but 3rd (for a 6th) worth more to them.

Poor value for what Bridgewater could be worth for a trade in the future or a tusk on the field play

Good value for the Jets overall on taking Bridgewater on. Turned like a 500k signing bonus into the 3rd round pick.

I'm not sure they didn't just trade their best QB though.

This strikes me as a super odd trade for the Saints. You have what appears to be a backup that is capable and growing yet you trade for Teddy? Is something wrong with brees? Do they see Teddy as a long term option that can be a the heir apparent to brees? They did not rework his contract so he is going to be on the 5mil contract that he signed with the jets. 5 mil for a starter is crap but how many 5 million dollar backups are there in the league?

^ Maybe they think they have a superbowl caliber team, defense-running game-ect finally lined up, and saw that Brees going down probably doomed them.

Especially seeing how the Eagles survived with Foles maybe that got into their heads a bit?

Speculating for sure but what else are we doing.

This is surprising given that the Saints gave Brees an extension through next season in March. If 2018 had remained the last year of his deal, it would make sense to bring in Bridgewater in case they didnt want to pay a 40-year-old Brees anymore. But if they cut Brees before next season, theyll have at least 10M in dead cap money, and they would also need to re-sign or extend Bridgewater.

Poor value for what Bridgewater could be worth for a trade in the future or a tusk on the field play

Well 3rd round pick seems pretty good to me. If they could have gotten more they would have. They got the best they could. Not really much of a need for him on their roster.

Bridgewater is a backup right now with the potential to be a starter down the line. His injury was bad and he was a low end starter to begin with. To me, trade makes sense for both sides.

Bills got a 3rd for Tyrod and he doesn't have a horrific injury in his recent past. I'm skeptical the Jets could have gotten more during the season unless they started him but It seems like they are ready to start the Darnold era

Bills got a 3rd for Tyrod and he doesn't have a horrific injury in his recent past. I'm skeptical the Jets could have gotten more during the season unless they started him but It seems like they are ready to start the Darnold era

I just hope Sam is because I fear face plant as Jet's fan.

He's shown to throw really well on the run, as his college tape showed, but he has a tendency TO RUN from the pocket instead of stepping into it and making throws from it.

I really didn't seem him complete a nice pass downfield from the pocket in the entire preseason.

I'm a Jets fan and used to being really down on my own team though.

I hear you. As a Giants fan I was torn between Saquon and Darnold. I think he will eventually be the best QB you guys have had since... enter year X

Well 3rd round pick seems pretty good to me. If they could have gotten more they would have. They got the best they could. Not really much of a need for him on their roster.

Except that Darnold isn't going to be all that good. Besides that yeah no need for QBs who look good.... :doh:

Except that Darnold isn't going to be all that good. Besides that yeah no need for QBs who look good.... :doh:

They obviously think different about Darnold. They got a 3rd for a commodity they viewed as expendable, its a good move from their perspective.

They obviously think different about Darnold. They got a 3rd for a commodity they viewed as expendable, its a good move from their perspective.

Should we expect to trust the Jets and their judgement all of a sudden? I for one don't.

Kids got an arm. He gets one of the better slut wideouts back in quincy enunwa and robby anderson should help him out as he continues to make the jump. Darnold finishes as the number 19 overall qb. Not great. But not terrible. Something to build off of.

Kids got an arm. He gets one of the better slut wideouts back in quincy enunwa and robby anderson should help him out as he continues to make the jump. Darnold finishes as the number 19 overall qb. Not great. But not terrible. Something to build off of.

Those filthy slut receivers

Those filthy slut receivers

i love the sluts. They get peppered by rookies.

Jets should have started Bridgewater, not trade him away. He's a better QB than McCown and Darnold. And Teddy is still young. Dumb move Jets.

Darnold has looked pedestrian at best vs 2nd stringers this far. Bridgewater is light years ahead of him. Good job by the saints if the negotiate in extension in next few days. Good job by jets to get a third for basically nothing but stupid to trade away their best QB. Darnold and Allen in the same division just as Brady is in his twilight. It's like handing the pats another half decade...

All these people saying Bridgewater is better than Darnokd right now have no idea how football works.

Darnold is set to become the youngest rookie to start the season since like 1970. Holy hell. What should he be? MVP out of the gate? Do you realize he is a rookie franchise QB? Do you realize they are invested in him and obviously picked him 3rd to be their franchise QB for 10 years?

Amazed by the responses over this.

All these people saying Bridgewater is better than Darnokd right now have no idea how football works.

Darnold is set to become the youngest rookie to start the season since like 1970. Holy hell. What should he be? MVP out of the gate? Do you realize he is a rookie franchise QB? Do you realize they are invested in him and obviously picked him 3rd to be their franchise QB for 10 years?

Amazed by the responses over this.

You are correct, but that doesn't mean Darnold is guaranteed any type of success. A team would rather fail than bench their top draft pick qb. It's the truth. They would rather go down a losing road for 3 years just to save face for the draft pick. If anyone actually trusts the the Jets that Darnold is better than Teddy though, why do you now trust the Jets after decades of mismanagement?

As far as how good one is compared to the other, my belief is that Darnold will never be as good as Bridgewater. So from a saving face move, which is what dumb teams like the Jets do, it's the right call. From an actual football perspective, it's the wrong way to handle their qb situation

You are correct, but that doesn't mean Darnold is guaranteed any type of success.

What does this matter? They obviously think he will. They spent months and months trading up and choosing a franchise QB at #3 overall.

Why would they want to keep Bridgewater? He was on a 1 year deal. To struggle to 8-8 and get a crappy pick?

I had him as my top QB in this draft. You didnt. What do our opinions matter? Jets onviously like him.

Before Bridgewater lost a knee his numbers were about the worst in the league. He hasnt showed anything dynamic what so ever.

But here we are. Has a good preseason and all the people who never learn that preseason is garbage are here telling us how good he is.

You know who else had a great preseaon? Nathan Peterman. The guy that threw 5 picks in a half starting over Tyrod and became the laughing stock of the NFL.

Before Bridgewater lost a knee his numbers were about the worst in the league. He hasnt showed anything dynamic what so ever.

But here we are. Has a good preseason and all the people who never learn that preseason is garbage are here telling us how good he is.

You know who else had a great preseaon? Nathan Peterman. The guy that threw 5 picks in a half starting over Tyrod and became the laughing stock of the NFL.

Darnold is a lot closer to throwing 5 picks in a game than becoming an mvp. Just because they took him high doesn't mean he's any good. See Leaf, Ryan. And to put faith in the fact the Jets organization likes him is like saying, "Hey that dog is licking its own butt, must mean it tastes good"

Darnold is a lot closer to throwing 5 picks in a game than becoming an mvp. Just because they took him high doesn't mean he's any good. See Leaf, Ryan. And to put faith in the fact the Jets organization likes him is like saying, "Hey that dog is licking its own butt, must mean it tastes good"

Who is saying he for sure will be good? What are you babbling about?

They have committed to him and like him. Obviously.

Again what on earth is your point?

Its not like the Jets just picked his name out of a hat, or reached for him. He was the consensus top QB available in the draft, among Scouts and Media Analysts. That doesn't guarantee success, and I don't think anyone is claiming it does, but the Darnold pick was pretty much a no brainer.

Hey Josh Allen Baker and Darnold will all suck becausr the Bills Browns and Jets all have a bad track record at drafting QBs.

Hey this is easy to do. You should all be GMs.

Who is saying he for sure will be good? What are you babbling about?

They have committed to him and like him. Obviously.

Again what on earth is your point?

I think he's saying that he only licks butts for the taste.

2919 14 12

3231 14 9

Those are numbers of a future stud. Bridgewater is automatic to be a SB QB! They should have kept him for the single year they signed him for, fought like hell to be middle of thr pack and got nothing for him as he drifts back into FA! I mean that is the smart play!