Sign in to follow this  
Ray_T

strategy in yahoo draft

Hey guys, I just wanted to share something with you guys.

I got to the last couple of rounds and the Defense and kicker I was planning on taking were gone, and I looked and didnt really like any of the players that were left, so I decided not to draft a kicker or a Defense. I picked up two young, high upside players in John Ross and Cameron Meredith.

Because Alshon is still on the PUP list, Yahoo is letting me put him on IR for now so I have been able to pickup a kicker.

I still need to drop one player for the start of the season to pick up a Defense.

has anyone out here tried this type of strategy? and how did it work out for you?

I do this in basically every draft, though admittedly its more useful when you draft earlier in August. A lot can happen that moves guys up depth charts in August, but not so much after Labor Day weekend.

I have never found that it handicapped me. I usually stream defenses and switch to a high performing undrafted kicker by week 3 or 4 anyway.

I have done it before, not recently. On one hand you hold players to see if something happens to give them a larger role, on the other You let the whole league know the guys you have an eye on and you must drop them for a defense or kicker

I have done it before, not recently. On one hand you hold players to see if something happens to give them a larger role, on the other You let the whole league know the guys you have an eye on and you must drop them for a defense or kicker

I'm with Phil, the best damn Giants QB ever. (Sorry Eli, I love you too brother.) You gotta go ninja style on the free agents you like, not the Times Square approach.

Yes, you never draft a dst or kicker unless you have to. Upside young players are way better of an investment. For all we know, the guy ahead of him on the depth chart trips over his kids LEGOs and misses a couple weeks. Also yes, its much more viable if drafting early before preseason. Just cut someone and pick up those positions before game day.

Yes, you never draft a dst or kicker unless you have to. Upside young players are way better of an investment. For all we know, the guy ahead of him on the depth chart trips over his kids LEGOs and misses a couple weeks. Also yes, its much more viable if drafting early before preseason. Just cut someone and pick up those positions before game day.

I disagree with this completely. When you get to the 14th and 15th rounds, you are taking shots at guys that you may have a list of 15-20 players that could fill in there. Noone is stealing players from you at that point otherwise you would have taken them already. Some defenses and kickers are definitively better than others. Taking a chance on someone in round 13 that you can probably get in FA or grab another guy you feel similar about as a shot in the dark, is not better than taking a defense or kicker of your preference over the rest of the league.

I disagree with this completely. When you get to the 14th and 15th rounds, you are taking shots at guys that you may have a list of 15-20 players that could fill in there. Noone is stealing players from you at that point otherwise you would have taken them already. Some defenses and kickers are definitively better than others. Taking a chance on someone in round 13 that you can probably get in FA or grab another guy you feel similar about as a shot in the dark, is not better than taking a defense or kicker of your preference over the rest of the league.

Noob thinking. Ive pocketed many a breakout player at the end of drafts (some rookie named Alfred and some bozo named Colston something) or luckily had guys evolve into viable options. Its a numbers game, roster more of them, chances of finding a viable commodity rise. Even if you think you know which Dst or K will be good, its just as good to stream matchups week to week. Its ok if you disagree, people either understand advanced FF concepts or they dont. Theres no changing the mind of someone who thinks a certain way about them.

Side note: Jags Dst wont finish as the top scoring dst this season.

Depends how your league is set up. The money leagues i play in you get 1 transaction a week and you dont stream anything.

Lately, I target the Def and Kicker one round before the last 2 rounds (i.e. round 14 and 15 of a 16 round draft). So many people wait to last 2 rounds, just go 1 round early and get the best D & K available.

This is right, and with almost every other person in the league waiting you get your pick of the litter by drafting 1 round earlier.

And always get a player in last round on sleeper list, havent seen a case where I miss out on my whole list by getting my D and kicker in rounds 14/15

Its ok guys, get your dst and k a round early. Its not some super duper elite strategy to do what I was advocating, we are all just throwing darts anyway in the late rounds. I wont sit here and say its a must, its just giving you more shots at a paying lotto ticket, which is what seasons are made of. There are usually at most 2-3 difference makers at K and dst. K theres none, K are worthless just pick one on a decent offense and even then he could score 4 ep and your opponents bum K kicks 4 FG. Dst is a little better but not really, its just the illusion of being better. Jags and Rams maybe, everyone else nah just stream vs worst offenses weekly. Look at the adp for dst and compare to end of year results, its a crapshoot.

Again, not trying to change anyones mind, I know thats near impossible in FF, but Im just showing you where my logic is at. There is very very little we can control in FF and number of viable potential breakouts on our rosters before the season starts and values change is sometimes one of them.