Sign in to follow this  
justforbeer

Le’Veon Bell - The hold out continues!

Let us hope the 2018 James Conner is the De'Angelo Williams of 2015. I cuffed Bell back then, and it worked out pretty well

I took Mr. Conner in the 16th, and 14th round in two leagues. I kept waiting for the Bell owners to pull the trigger, but the 1st round Bell owners were oblivious.

One owner was giddy to get him at 1.09 in the second draft.... I pulled the trigger on MGIII at 1.08 instead

I walked up to the board in the 14th round of the same draft, and told the commish... "I'm gonna do it again" All he did was laugh and say, OK bud, it's about time....

btw...... Bell has to sign the tag before he can be traded. Any mere mortal that can walk from a $885,000 weekly pay check is simply not that (Homer Simpson) SMRT. If holds until week ten, he'll never make the money back....... plus interest, investing it, etc. His agent is an idiot to let this go on.

Let us hope the 2018 James Conner is the De'Angelo Williams of 2015. I cuffed Bell back then, and it worked out pretty well

I took Mr. Conner in the 16th, and 14th round in two leagues. I kept waiting for the Bell owners to pull the trigger, but the 1st round Bell owners were oblivious.

One owner was giddy to get him at 1.09 in the second draft.... I pulled the trigger on MGIII at 1.08 instead

I walked up to the board in the 14th round of the same draft, and told the commish... "I'm gonna do it again" All he did was laugh and say, OK bud, it's about time....

btw...... Bell has to sign the tag before he can be traded. Any mere mortal that can walk from a $885,000 weekly pay check is simply not that (Homer Simpson) SMRT. If holds until week ten, he'll never make the money back....... plus interest, investing it, etc. His agent is an idiot to let this go on.

No offense but it seems like you're using the thread to virtue signal about your draft. Fundamentally I agree with you though... Bell owner should have definitely handcuffed him to Connor.

I disagree with your assessment of Bell being dumb. He's playing the long game for a big contract, not a 1 year franchise tag where he could get hurt and lose all future returns.

Sounds like my draft. I took Conner with the 1.01 and then laughed in the face of the Bell owner for not drafting him sooner.

I had the 1.01 in another draft with the same commish and I looked at him and said, I'm doing it.........(long pause)....... AGAIIIINNNNNN!!!!!!!!! (really dramatic like). And then I laughed in the Bell owner's face, who happened to be the same Bell owner in my other league.

Sounds like my draft. I took Conner with the 1.01 and then laughed in the face of the Bell owner for not drafting him sooner.

I had the 1.01 in another draft with the same commish and I looked at him and said, I'm doing it.........(long pause)....... AGAIIIINNNNNN!!!!!!!!! (really dramatic like). And then I laughed in the Bell owner's face, who happened to be the same Bell owner in my other league.

😁

Now the 3rd week and no sign of Bell.....

Wow!

This is getting good.

Just wondering what Bell’s value is at this point or should I wait till like week 6

Wow!

This is getting good.

Just wondering what Bell’s value is at this point or should I wait till like week 6

Rare circumstance. His value will be going up as week 6-8 approaches.

Wow!

This is getting good.

I'm wondering the same thing -what should I offer for L Bell? I had offered either M Lynch or P Barber and got no response. Now I think M Lynch is too much. I want L Bell to go with Conner and secure the Pitt RB position. But at what cost?

Only reason to go after Bell this year is if it's a keeper league. He won't play, if he does, he would be making the dumbest decision of his life.

Again, think about it. He sits out til week 10 for what? To save a few carries? Or because there is no way he won't suffer a serious injury because he'll "only" get 120 touches now?

Just think how much dumber it will look if he comes back and suffers an ACL injury and "Only" makes 5 million this year and loses any negotiating power in free agency.

Bell to trainers week 11 "I don't know what happened but my hammy is a little tight, and I was hanging out with Percy, I think I caught a case of the "migraines". Maybe next week I can play... Or come up with another excuse.

• Like 1

Only reason to go after Bell this year is if it's a keeper league. He won't play, if he does, he would be making the dumbest decision of his life.

Again, think about it. He sits out til week 10 for what? To save a few carries? Or because there is no way he won't suffer a serious injury because he'll "only" get 120 touches now?

Just think how much dumber it will look if he comes back and suffers an ACL injury and "Only" makes 5 million this year and loses any negotiating power in free agency.

Bell to trainers week 11 "I don't know what happened but my hammy is a little tight, and I was hanging out with Percy, I think I caught a case of the "migraines". Maybe next week I can play... Or come up with another excuse.

He does seem committed at this point, at least to the week 10 point. Come back now, you haven't accomplished anything, still have an injury risk, and you blew two (heading for three) game paychecks. Might as well have come back week 1.

I think if he doesn't return he is not a free agent next year.

I think if he doesn't return he is not a free agent next year.

He loses credit for 1 year and is in the exact same boat. In fact, he may be worse off because the Steelers "might" be able to lower their offer. There's no power in a complete hold out. Now, if he signs week 10 then mysteriously gets injured...different story.

• Like 1

He loses credit for 1 year and is in the exact same boat. In fact, he may be worse off because the Steelers "might" be able to lower their offer. There's no power in a complete hold out. Now, if he signs week 10 then mysteriously gets injured...different story.

That is exactly what will happen. He won't sit out the entire year, he'll come back and get credit and turn into Percy Harvin with "Migraines" thinking about what his financial future will be if he steps on the field and suffers an injury impacting his next contract. And they won't be able to say a damn thing and should have paid him to begin with.

That is exactly what will happen. He won't sit out the entire year, he'll come back and get credit and turn into Percy Harvin with "Migraines" thinking about what his financial future will be if he steps on the field and suffers an injury impacting his next contract. And they won't be able to say a damn thing and should have paid him to begin with.

Yep, he has zero interest in putting even 1 more miles on the tires if he can avoid elders should have paid him or traded him.

The second he gets back Pitt should just trade him to Buffalo, so they can just focus on getting to the playoffs without more crap to deal with. But I doubt he fakes injuries.

Bell blew it. This is $14.5 million he won't get back. I heard one of the beat writers in Pitt who was asked how uncomfortable the locker room will be if he holds out until the last minute, and he said it is not going to be good at all. If he were to come back now, he mentioned they would all just say no harm no foul. But letting money get in the way of those guys' championship hopes is not cool by the other players.

It's not like he is only being offered $1.5 million. They see the figure he has on the table.

And Bell is not going to come up with a fake injury. Everyone will see through it and he will be massacred by everyone he knows and doesn't know. When the dude could have had his career earnings up to about $30 million, he is taking a major risk by letting go of half of this year. If he gets injured in the last few games this year, he is screwed for that major contract he is looking for in the future that is not even on the table at this point.

Funny thing is, I don't think he'll get more than 14-15 mill a year anyways. He would've been better off if pulled this stunt last year.

Bell blew it. This is $14.5 million he won't get back. I heard one of the beat writers in Pitt who was asked how uncomfortable the locker room will be if he holds out until the last minute, and he said it is not going to be good at all. If he were to come back now, he mentioned they would all just say no harm no foul. But letting money get in the way of those guys' championship hopes is not cool by the other players.

It's not like he is only being offered $1.5 million. They see the figure he has on the table.

And Bell is not going to come up with a fake injury. Everyone will see through it and he will be massacred by everyone he knows and doesn't know. When the dude could have had his career earnings up to about $30 million, he is taking a major risk by letting go of half of this year. If he gets injured in the last few games this year, he is screwed for that major contract he is looking for in the future that is not even on the table at this point.

Youd think hes also be in hiding. Lay low. Let the Steelers burn.

Nope. talk tweets and vacation pics and rap album promotion vids. Hes got no idea how dumb this looks.

Youd think hes also be in hiding. Lay low. Let the Steelers burn.

Nope. ###### talk tweets and vacation pics and rap album promotion vids. Hes got no idea how dumb this looks.

He's crazy. And let's talk absolute worst case scenario if he just played the year. Let's say he has a career ending injury in week 5. He gets his $14.5 million, retires from football at age 26 with $30 million in the back (minus taxes), and he will have no problems getting any kind of work he wants within reason. Keeps the respect from his teammates, friends, family, and fans.

Now let's talk a more realistic scenario. He plays since week 1 gets a knee injury some time along the way and is out for the year. He gets his $14.5 million and watches from the sidelines. Get's his surgery, and some team gives him a contract next year for maybe $6-7 million a year for 3 years, $10 million guaranteed. Something like that. Keeps the respect from his teammates, friends, family, and fans.

Scenario 3: He plays the full year, makes his $14.5 million, doesn't get hurt, adds to his HOF trending stats, chance to win a SB on one of the best offenses in the league. Goes into next year, gets a 3-4 year contract worth $9 million a year, $15-20 million guaranteed. Keeps the respect from his teammates, friends, family, and fans.

But no. He gets to go jet skiing now. Loses millions of $. Loses tons of respect from his teammates and fans, and it still doesn't guarantee he will survive the season uninjured. Good chance next year he goes to another team with a worse Oline, and with no knowledge of what he will be offered until it is actually offered. Maybe $10 million a year for 3-4 years, $20 million guaranteed? His weekly stat line goes down because he is not behind that Pitt Oline. Whoopie...

• Like 1

He won’t be agreeing to sign anywhere next year for a dollar under 30-40mil guaranteed and 14+ per year. His whole stance is he wants to be paid like more than just the top RB.

He wont be agreeing to sign anywhere next year for a dollar under 30-40mil guaranteed and 14+ per year. His whole stance is he wants to be paid like more than just the top RB.

You think he will get those offers? Or does he he retire if he doesn't? 14+ a year for an RB? That is crazy.

You think he will get those offers? Or does he he retire if he doesn't? 14+ a year for an RB? That is crazy.

Honestly I’m not sure but I think so. On one hand he has the talent, people agreed he was deserving of Gurley money. Also there are always desperate or bad GMs out there willing to do anything. I think he could def get a huge deal like that if he’s in shape and not burned out from more wear and injury, hence this holdout. Plus the salary cap goes up, he knows all this.

He wanted 17 million a year. He believes he should be paid like the best RB in the game AND the 2nd best WR on his team (although JuJu is making that a moot point). I'm going to bet he wants 20% higher than what Gurley got, across the board. If Gurley got $15 mil a year, Bell will want 18. Same with the guaranteed money.

If PIT had offered Gurley money he'd be playing right now.

Hell, if PIT had even bothered to guarantee the 2nd & 3rd years of the deal they leaked when he refused to sign he would likely be playing right now.

But PIT didn't. Instead they lowballed the best running back in the game 2 years in a row with the franchise tag.

The Steelers could have kept the respect of their players & fans by paying fair market value for Bell.

The franchise tag is used regularly to keep the most talented players from being paid fairly but many "fans" seem to believe that's right & proper - the players somehow "should be thankful" to risk their minds/bodies/futures for ownership that rarely cares about little other than profits.

Hell, if PIT had even bothered to guarantee the 2nd & 3rd years of the deal they leaked when he refused to sign he would likely be playing right now.

But PIT didn't. Instead they lowballed the best running back in the game 2 years in a row with the franchise tag.

The Steelers could have kept the respect of their players & fans by paying fair market value for Bell.

The franchise tag is used regularly to keep the most talented players from being paid fairly but many "fans" seem to believe that's right & proper - the players somehow "should be thankful" to risk their minds/bodies/futures for ownership that rarely cares about little other than profits.

Solid points.

I will say though...the graphic design for his new album looks like a junior high Adobe InDesign project. "Just throw in a sh!t-ton of clip art!"

im sure it would be all over the board, but still no bell?.. 3 million gone, 7 to go.

what an a$$hole

It is right and proper to use the tag if the team elects to use it. That was agreed upon by both sides, and compensates the players well. If the player doesn't like it, take it to their union or quit football. Everyone knows the game is physically demanding, including the players when they signed into the league.

Why whine about the rules after the fact? Don't sign a contract in the first place. Go do something else for a living. Maybe in college he could have read a book.

Stop screwing the team when you have $14.5 million on the table. Most teams know that the RB position is not worth spending a large portion of their cap space.

You make it sound like being a football player is some noble profession. It's entertainment only. Play at your own risk.

So I just read something from Sporting News

Most interesting part of that article was this part:

For whatever reason — supposedly an unsatisfactory amount of guaranteed money — Bell in the offseason turned down a reported five-year, $70 million deal (with $33 million guaranteed) that would have made him the NFL's highest-paid back. After the July 15 deadline for franchise-tagged players to sign long-term deals passed, Bell's only option for this season became the one-year, $14.5 million franchise tender.

That is absolutely the first time I've seen those #'s attached to the offer the Steelers made. If that is AT ALL close to being true, this becomes ALL on Bell. That !4 million a year with 47%+ guaranteed. At the time it would have made him FAR AND AWAY the highest paid back in football. Gurley's contract would have eclipsed it slightly, but c'mon.

Again, if that is true, the everything about that article is gospel, Bell is killing his own value.

Also, just read an article in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette theorizing that maybe Bell's plan is to skip the entire season. :dunno:

Oh, and the He'Veon photos going around are certainly not going to help his cause.

It is right and proper to use the tag if the team elects to use it. That was agreed upon by both sides, and compensates the players well. If the player doesn't like it, take it to their union or quit football. Everyone knows the game is physically demanding, including the players when they signed into the league.

Why whine about the rules after the fact? Don't sign a contract in the first place. Go do something else for a living. Maybe in college he could have read a book.

Stop screwing the team when you have $14.5 million on the table. Most teams know that the RB position is not worth spending a large portion of their cap space.

You make it sound like being a football player is some noble profession. It's entertainment only. Play at your own risk.

This just reinforces the point of why Bell is holding out. Why would he risk it all for a 1-year franchise tag deal out of some perceived obligation to fans or the team. If Bell blew up his knee for good, the team would replace him and move on without an afterthought. Don't act like there is some intense loyalty between most players and their teams.

Play at your own risk. He's choosing to mitigate that risk until he's under a contract.

That is absolutely the first time I've seen those #'s attached to the offer the Steelers made. If that is AT ALL close to being true, this becomes ALL on Bell. That !4 million a year with 47%+ guaranteed. At the time it would have made him FAR AND AWAY

Even if they didn't offer that, it's all on Bell. Why do some other people here think the Steelers owe Bell anything if they don't want to have that much money set towards their cap at the RB position? Especially if they like their other backs.

Even if they didn't offer that, it's all on Bell. Why do some other people here think the Steelers owe Bell anything if they don't want to have that much money set towards their cap at the RB position? Especially if they like their other backs.

This is a good point about the Steelers 'owing' something or not. But why do some people here think Bell is an 'a$$hole' (was said above) for holding out, if it's all just entertainment? If it's just a game and people should lighten up (which I agree with), then his holding out is just a game decision. Does either side 'owe' anything at all?

As to whether it's 'stupid' or not, that depends on his goals. What if Bell never gets back into the league, nobody picks him up again because of his behavior, but he goes on to enjoy the life he has, makes albums, jetskiis around, etc, and lives a good life while doing it? Stupid decision? :) Way too many variables and preferences here for people to be making so many declarations about who's being stupid or who's being an a-hole.

This is a good point about the Steelers 'owing' something or not. But why do some people here think Bell is an 'a$$hole' (was said above) for holding out, if it's all just entertainment? If it's just a game and people should lighten up (which I agree with), then his holding out is just a game decision. Does either side 'owe' anything at all?

As to whether it's 'stupid' or not, that depends on his goals. What if Bell never gets back into the league, nobody picks him up again because of his behavior, but he goes on to enjoy the life he has, makes albums, jetskiis around, etc, and lives a good life while doing it? Stupid decision? :) Way too many variables and preferences here for people to be making so many declarations about who's being stupid or who's being an a-hole.

People are just angry because the numbers Bell is talking about are amounts they'll never see in their lifetime or 10 lifetimes. that said nobody gripes about Aaron Rodgers being overpaid at $33 Million a year.

This attitude of "he's an idiot, he's stupid he should just play" If he doesn't think he's getting fair contract value for his production he can hold out all he wants. If he comes out to play and blows up his knee permanently all those fans won't give 2 craps about him at all once he's used up as a useful football commodity. So guess what, Bell doesn't have to care what the fans think, nor should he...

Originally it was reported that the steelers offered him 70 million with only 10 million guaranteed. That's an insult, and were it me, no way would I sign that. But at nearly 50% of 70 million, all the fault is on Bell now.

That is absolutely the first time I've seen those #'s attached to the offer the Steelers made. If that is AT ALL close to being true, this becomes ALL on Bell. That !4 million a year with 47%+ guaranteed. At the time it would have made him FAR AND AWAY the highest paid back in football. Gurley's contract would have eclipsed it slightly, but c'mon.

Again, if that is true, the everything about that article is gospel, Bell is killing his own value.

Also, just read an article in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette theorizing that maybe Bell's plan is to skip the entire season. :dunno:

Oh, and the He'Veon photos going around are certainly not going to help his cause.

No, it was only $10m guaranteed. Weve covered it previously. The $33m number is spin designed to make Bell look bad.

It was $10m guaranteed. Then throughout the next 5 years he could earn that other $23m. For instance, if he is on the roster June 1st, 2019 another $8m is guaranteed. If he is on roster June 1st, 2020 another $14m becomes guaranteed.

And thats how they make him look like the bad guy. They say they offered him $70m with $33m guaranteed, but in reality it was a 1 year deal worth $10m....which is less than the franchise tag.

Originally it was reported that the steelers offered him 70 million with only 10 million guaranteed. That's an insult, and were it me, no way would I sign that. But at nearly 50% of 70 million, all the fault is on Bell now.

He wants Antonio Brown money - so around $17 Million a year.

Dunno how much he wants guaranteed.

Why are WR paid so much more than starting RB? Who is more of a game changer Bell, or Brown? Are they not at least equivalent in terms of their potential impact on the game?

If he thinks it's an insult, then play his last year under the terms of what the league and the players association agreed upon then go somewhere else. What is this insult stuff? It's league policy. The Steelers operate under league rule. They offered him $14.5 million dollars to entertain the Pittsburgh fanbase for 1 year. What is so insulting about that? Bell is making a terrible choice in my mind. Not that it matters what I think because it doesn't.

No, it was only $10m guaranteed. Weve covered it previously. The $33m number is spin designed to make Bell look bad.

It was $10m guaranteed. Then throughout the next 5 years he could earn that other $23m. For instance, if he is on the roster June 1st, 2019 another $8m is guaranteed. If he is on roster June 1st, 2020 another $14m becomes guaranteed.

And thats how they make him look like the bad guy. They say they offered him $70m with $33m guaranteed, but in reality it was a 1 year deal worth $10m....which is less than the franchise tag.

Bell got 14.5 million guaranteed for one years worth of entertainment but doesn't want it. What's this crap about a "spin" to make Bell look bad? The terms of the contract were out there. It was posted even for the fan base to see. Anyone who follows football knows that what all the players desire in their negotiations, for the most part, is guaranteed money.

To blame the Pittsburgh Steelers for any of this is just plain dumb.

If he thinks it's an insult, then play his last year under the terms of what the league and the players association agreed upon. What is this insult stuff? It's league policy. The Steelers operate under league rule. .

If you or the Steelers feel Bells actions are an insult, you should know that the league and players association agreed to the terms stating a player can sit out until week 10 and have it count as a full season. Its league policy. The Steelers and LeVeon Bell operate under league rule.